• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steep |OT| Shaun White Simulator

Fonds

Oh I understand what you mean better now. Yeah,it would be nice for sure. About the spins, I obviously cannot understand it like you because I have never practiced snowboarding or skiing.

I don't feel I'm locked into a rotation, if I let go of the tricks buttons and the left stick, I stop rotating, or do you mean changing rotation and rotation speed mid air?

What I mean concerning rotation is once you make a slight turn into a slope that momentum should translate to a rotation in air. In steep it feels like you only rotate as much as you turn your thumbstick, no matter how you turn or carve into a slope or kicker.
Actually coming up straight to a slope or kicker mostly makes rotation easier.

E-flux

sounds like you want to play ssx3

How did that sound like he wanted a new ssx?

I've been snowboarding myself for about 20 years now, and I'm pretty certain what I'd like a simulation snowsports game to be like.

Amped is the thing that comes closest of the bunch in my opinion even if that was quite a bit over the top at some points.

I have been snowboarding around 10~ years myself, i love riding in deep snow off the beaten path, i was hoping that Steep would offer me the same sense of weight and balance needed to ride there, sadly the physics just felt weird in all of the betas. I'm not craving for realistic physics but what the game had, and probably still has just doesn't convey the feeling of snowboarding for me.

I have no idea why they didn't create any sort of grinding for the game, i saw the clip that johnnyquicknives posted but that didn't seem intentional.

Oh yeah, 100% not intentional by the game. I was only showing it as an example of how you can use the right stick to adjust your board position in the air.
I'd really like them to formalise grinding mechanics/scoring into the game though.

E-flux

Oh yeah, 100% not intentional by the game. I was only showing it as an example of how you can use the right stick to adjust your board position in the air.
I'd really like them to formalise grinding mechanics/scoring into the game though.

It looked pretty cool, using the replay editor you could probably make some cool looking lines if you angle the camera right when doing grinds.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Yeah but that type of adjustment doesn't help with landings. You need pitch (something an airborne human does have limited control over) but it's absent in Steep.

I'm constantly made observer -- hmm I wonder if the AI will land this time. Nope!

I'm just really not enjoying the lack of agency. They've taken away from me the entire backside of the jump (the most rewarding aspect too, imo) and I'm left to just watch the AI eat it on stuff a slight adjustment could've prevented.

This game is at its worst when you come up on rocks. Might as well just put the gamepad down. It's playing itself. You have zero impact, since even braking ruins you. And of course the deeper into trouble you get, the more control they strip from you. They take the color away on screen, and they even steal the recovery period if the bar gets low enough.

I'm barely even doing any challenges in this game. I just pick a drop zone, start there, look around a bit, and start my descent, stopping occasionally to pull out the binoculars.

Found an observatory last night, which made me unreasonably excited.

Nameless

I'm barely even doing any challenges in this game. I just pick a drop zone, start there, look around a bit, and start my descent, stopping occasionally to pull out the binoculars.

Found an observatory last night, which made me unreasonably excited.

This is exactly how I'd want to engage with this game. I'm not too interested in time trials or challenges, I just want to fuck around and explore a big open environment at my whim. Part of what's turning me off watching vids and streams is that people are overwhelmingly focused on the former, and most of the customization options seem tied to doing those set activities. They'd be fine here & there, but making my own would be the draw.

ManeKast

It looks really sharp and is so smooth to play. I have a pro and 1080p set and this is among the best showcases on it.

Had a friend who has a normal PS4 see mine and say wow. Looks better, is smoother.

Love this game. My game of the year. When you nail the mechanics of the game, which are deep but versatile, the game becomes a snow playground of life and death thrills, nailbiting runs and edge of your seat descents... carving mountains.

Great with friends.

Freeman76

Had a friend who has a normal PS4 see mine and say wow. Looks better, is smoother.

Love this game. My game of the year. When you nail the mechanics of the game, which are deep but versatile, the game becomes a snow playground of life and death thrills, nailbiting runs and edge of your seat descents... carving mountains.

Great with friends.

Same, it takes a lot of practice but when you 'get it' it all works so well.

AEREC

Any clarity on what Pro support this has a for a 1080p set?

Pretty sure there is no downsampling but the framerate is a lot smoother than the normal PS4 from what I hear.

I play on the Pro on a 1080p TV and the framerate is 40-60.

RodzTF

Picked up from GAME earlier. Two weeks and the game is nearly half RRP. Crazy, but unsurprising.

Looking forward to jumping in.

KJ869

This is now in sale on ustore for 40 euros and you can apply the 100uplay points code to get the game down to 32 euros.

Miggytronz

So I'm finding an annoyance with the game recently. My character keeps resetting to factory gear sets every time I start the game. I'm on PS4.

Nameless

Turn off trick safety. The game is so much more tense and satisfying when you can actually eat shit for messing up or being too ambitious. Plus wipe outs are absolutely brutal. Weird they'd make having less control the default setting.

Evolved1

Turn off trick safety. The game is so much more tense and satisfying when you can actually eat shit for messing up or being too ambitious. Plus wipe outs are absolutely brutal. Weird they'd make having less control the default setting.
Trick safety doesn't do much. It just prevents you from beginning a rotation if you didn't get a good take-off. It has no apparent effect when you're getting a good launch. It doesn't help you land or prevent over-rotation. It just prevents you from initiating a trick if you barely got air.

I have it off, but imo it makes little difference either way.

Nameless

Trick safety doesn't do much. It just prevents you from beginning a rotation if you didn't get a good take-off. It has no apparent effect when you're getting a good launch. It doesn't help you land or prevent over-rotation. It just prevents you from initiating a trick if you barely got air.

I have it off, but imo it makes little difference either way.

Maybe it's because I'm new, but I've been toggling it on at off at the start of descents and with it on I hardly ever wipeout outside of collisions, with it off I do pretty regularly.

This is now in sale on ustore for 40 euros and you can apply the 100uplay points code to get the game down to 32 euros.
did you try this. The 100 points state it does NOT stack and only the bigger discount is used if there is one already.

I did not try it and bought the game without it due to this! bummer if this works regardless

Evolved1

Maybe it's because I'm new, but I've been toggling it on at off at the start of descents and with it on I hardly ever wipeout outside of collisions, with it off I do pretty regularly.
It's also very possible I'm wrong. That happens often enough.

Has anyone who bought the season pass been able to find their Moonlight items, like the glow in the dark gear?

I can't fucking find it anywhere

I dunno. Didnt play any of the demos, and Twitch streams made it look boring.

However, despite all sense and logic, and the desire for a snowboarding game... I picked it up and have loved what I played so far. Relaxing and fun, looks beautiful on my 65 inch KS8000!

Nameless

Patch 1.02 is live

Exploits Fixed:

A system now informs players when they don’t move on to the next checkpoint after a pre-set amount of time, preventing them from being able to go back up the mountain to score tricks.
The minimum jump time needed to start scoring is now higher, which no longer allows repetitive scoring via “mini-tricks” on flat areas.

New Additions:

[PS4] [XB1] Addition of a controller page in the menu on PlayStation 4 and Xbox One
Addition of a contextual tooltip about switch at low level
[PS4] Background music added to the Sony Live Area
Players now have the possibility to preview items while browsing in the Rider page
Progression page added to the menu
Players can now teleport to another player in their group directly from Mountain View by selecting him/her with the cursor
Ambiance can now be changed in Mountain View by using D-Pad Down
Special Holiday Item
Special Holiday Item #2

Bug Fixes:

Fixed: Players get stuck on rocks when retrying a Challenge
Fixed: Customization of items resets to default when mixed between different types of items
Fixed: Invitational Challenges still marked as “New” even after completion
Fixed: Players still see other players next to them on the map even after they have moved on to other areas (“permanent players” issue)
Fixed: [XB1] Players who try to join/group with other players receive an error message
Fixed: Global Exploration will display 100% even if the user has not unlocked all Points of Interest
Fixed: A missing icon in the social notification when creating a coop session between two players
Fixed: Flickering icons and panels when the user moves RS on the menu after switching between Rider Tab or Profile and Progress Menu
Fixed: Starting the game at Break Point challenge with no music or sound effects
Fixed: The same button is shown for "Change ambiance" and "Change time of day" when opening Mountain View
Fixed: Ubisoft Club Actions – Overlapping text seen on the "You're Ready Now" pop-up; "Gold-plated Challenger" pop-up displayed 2 times; "Baby Steps" pop-up displayed 2 times; "Invited" pop-up displayed 2 times
Fixed: On PS4 Pro, on high FPS, the G-force bar decreases faster
Fixed: The color of the Black Imp Wingsuit Goggles in the preview doesn't match the color of the goggles on the left-hand side of the screen
Fixed: The color of the Super Hero Wingsuit Goggles in the preview doesn't match the color of the goggles on the left-hand side of the screen
Fixed: The Crash Test Dummy costume’s taunt will make the player fall after a big jump. The fix is that the ragdoll should only occur during player-triggered taunts and not automatic ones
Fixed: White fonts on category names are barely visible
Fixed: Black lines under sponsor logos in the customization menu
Fixed: The "Legendary Quests" icons are grayed out as if they were locked in Mountain View, even after already being unlocked by reaching the required level
Fixed: Ultranatural Challenge – Missing collision when the rider hits the edges of the last two ramps before the finish line
Fixed: Viewers see the character floating when spectating a player who opens Mountain View while riding
Fixed: Info Panel and Challenge Canceled message remain after the private challenge was canceled
Fixed: When starting a Mountain Story, the player loses the ability to change the Time of Day, even after having stopped the story.
Fixed: When buying the Unicorn costume, "Multicolor Mittens" appears twice in the shop
Fixed: Some Challenge icons overlap the Group Leaderboard
Fixed: The "wingsuit jump" sound is played twice when the player starts a wingsuit trail
Fixed: Group Leaderboards display players’ scores in a random order after several coop attempts
Fixed: Flares are not equipped after selecting them
Fixed: When looking at the mountain from a stopped position, the yellow arrow icon remains in the HUD even after the Mountain Story is completed
Fixed: If a player wins gold for the first time on a Challenge with two or more reward items, or if he finishes a Mountain Story, the player will only see the prompt for the first item unlocked (the highest medal reward)
Fixed: Two RedBull cans are laying around on the mountain and no one has any idea why they’re there!
Fixed: The Tartiflette recipe is written in broken English (Franglish?) and is actually incorrect… hopefully there weren’t too many failed attempts at making this delicious dish

Lan Dong Mik

And why would I want them?
This game is a lot of fuckin fun man. Had some friends over tonight and we couldn't stop playing it. Playing it on the PS4 pro. Goddamn the game looks stunning

81kpJUn.gif

^^ This pretty much sums up my current feeling about the game, after getting it today and putting a few hours into it.

Things I like:

- It's snowboarding
- The graphics are pretty solid
- You can pull of some cool tricks, even if it's not as arcade-y as I usually like
- There's lots of terrain to explore

Things I don't like:

- The meter that fills up whenever you're snowboarding on rock or stone. It fills up regardless of how level the rock is or how fast you're going. And if you snowboard across a rough patch, hit a patch of snow, but then hit a 1-foot patch of rock before your bar depletes you still tumble. It's annoying, not realistic, but also not arcade-friendly. I don't get who this is supposed to appease.
- The trick system feels iffy to me. Namely, there are times when I'm prepping to jump and I manage to not get enough height to execute a trick despite being certain that I timed it right.
- Bouncing off this, I hate the lack of a pre-wind for doing rotations. Having to ensure the jump before I can start doing tricks provides a minor delay that I don't get the point of.
- Not being able to reset my rider if I take a fall. Maybe I missed the button for this in the button layout menu, but as of now I haven't figured out a way to do a quick reset if I fall. And it's made all the worse if I'm falling down a slope because my character will just roll and roll and roll.
- (Playing on PS4) the lack of 60fps is disappointing. I understand that it's an open world game that has to render a lot, but the lower framerate just feels like a hindrance playing it on the PS4.
- Always-online. Seriously, why does this game need to be always online? Every time I start it up I have to wait longer for it to connect to the servers regardless of whether I plan on doing anything social or not. It's dumb.
- It'll sound weird, but I feel like there's no sense of character or narrative. I know, I know - it's a snowboarding game. But I don't feel any sense of progression so far despite having completed several challenges and being at level 10. There's no anticipation of "Oh, that currently locked run looks fun. I can't wait to unlock it." Maybe part of this can be rolled up into...
- Generic identity. Again, I get it - not every game needs to be SSX. But so far, this game just seems so bland to me when it comes to fun or personality. Skate had a more technical approach to its gameplay and it still had a great sense of identity. SSX was far more arcade-y, but again - it had an identity. This just feels oddly generic so far. It's not bad, but it's not great.

We'll see if this game sticks. I mostly got it because of the dearth of snowboarding games on the market and it looked interesting enough in the videos. But playing it... yeah, I dunno. So far it's neither awful nor great. It's just okay.

danmaku

- Not being able to reset my rider if I take a fall. Maybe I missed the button for this in the button layout menu, but as of now I haven't figured out a way to do a quick reset if I fall. And it's made all the worse if I'm falling down a slope because my character will just roll and roll and roll.

When this happens just hold B and go to the map screen. You can go back to any point of your last ride, just select it and press A. If you're using the wing suit you can hold Y to go back to the starting point.

Jtrizzy

How's the performance on PC? I wouldn't mind picking this up on my new Pro, but I also have a 2600k@4.4 and a 1070 and it sounds like it drops to 45 somewhat frequently? Wish PS4 had refunds like Steam.

danmaku

I tried the coop mode last night with a friend and... WOW. I guess this is how the game is supposed to be played: fuck around with friends and see what happens. So many cool and hilarious moments, thankfully you can save rides and watch the replays. We tried some lines on Ortles and Monte Bianco (neither of us ulocked it yet actually so we used a helicopter ticket) and it was awesome. Monte Bianco at sunset looks amazing and there's a giant glacier on the mountain side that's basically a natural snowpark with hundreds of jumps. Not exactly realistic but who cares.

I like how the most extreme slopes are impossible unless you carefully pick your path between rocks and jumps. If you just go straight you'll fall in no time. It's always doable, I guess, but you need to learn the map, which is why you can instantly go back to any point in your line if you fuck up. The evil snowman mission would've been extremely frustrating without this feature.

Now I can't wait to unlock the Matterhorn, riding down from the top of the mountain should be absurd.

BTW does anyone knows how the "change time of the day" function works? It looks like pressing up on the d-pad moves the sun on a horizontal line, but I can't go from sunset to night to midday. If I'm in sunset I can't move the sun up or down, I'm stuck in sunset until the game randomly decides to change time.

I tried the coop mode last night with a friend and... WOW. I guess this is how the game is supposed to be played: fuck around with friends and see what happens. So many cool and hilarious moments, thankfully you can save rides and watch the replays. We tried some lines on Ortles and Monte Bianco (neither of us ulocked it yet actually so we used a helicopter ticket) and it was awesome. Monte Bianco at sunset looks amazing and there's a giant glacier on the mountain side that's basically a natural snowpark with hundreds of jumps. Not exactly realistic but who cares.

I like how the most extreme slopes are impossible unless you carefully pick your path between rocks and jumps. If you just go straight you'll fall in no time. It's always doable, I guess, but you need to learn the map, which is why you can instantly go back to any point in your line if you fuck up. The evil snowman mission would've been extremely frustrating without this feature.

Now I can't wait to unlock the Matterhorn, riding down from the top of the mountain should be absurd.

BTW does anyone knows how the "change time of the day" function works? It looks like pressing up on the d-pad moves the sun on a horizontal line, but I can't go from sunset to night to midday. If I'm in sunset I can't move the sun up or down, I'm stuck in sunset until the game randomly decides to change time.

There's another button/option there to change 'ambience', I think that's what you want

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
This game is great, though my only gripe is that sometimes the jump mechanic works like you think it should, then it shits the pants and doesn't jump you.

This game is great, though my only gripe is that sometimes the jump mechanic works like you think it should, then it shits the pants and doesn't jump you.

Yeah same complaint here. Other than that it really is awesome. I remember I had a snowboarding game on the PS1, think it was the OG Coolboarders which had a final track which was just untouched powder with various routes down. I used to play the crap out of it and watch my replays back and loved it. This fills a niche I forgot needed filling for me.

Top Bottom