• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steep |OT| Shaun White Simulator

Gaenor

Banned
This game, as good as it is for snowboard/ski enthusiasts, can get very frustrating. It's a shame because it's so much fun when you just explore the different mountains, find some new lines and take it easy.

The challenges become insanely difficult as you progress through the game. It's not a question of skills, but a question of bad design. When the slopes are too steep and full of rocky cliffs, your character becomes uncontrollable and this leads to many bails and failed challenges.

Oh and one more thing, I wish we could pause the game in the middle of a challenge and not start over when we unpause. Challenges can often take quite some time to achieve (especially the Mountain Stories), and I sometimes hit the pause button by habit when the phone rings or something.

Edit: Still, it remains one of my favorite game this year.

MikeyB

I'm not to fussed about tricks and landing.

Could someone who is a regular skier or boarder let me know if they got the turning and snow to feel right?

I've been skiing for 35 years and cannot see myself getting into a non-arcadey snowsports game that messes up the feeling of turning.

Also, do snow types vary? I see the snow and rock, but all the snow seems like light fluffy powder. Is that right or is there also heavy wet snow, wind or sun crust, ice, and chunky death cookies (maybe that's just a local term - like post blasting debris)? I'm guessing there is no groomed stuff.

How is the tree skiing? Tight or spaced out to maintain the momentum?

Gaenor

Banned
I'm not to fussed about tricks and landing.

Could someone who is a regular skier or boarder let me know if they got the turning and snow to feel right?

I've been skiing for 35 years and cannot see myself getting into a non-arcadey snowsports game that messes up the feeling of turning.

Also, do snow types vary? I see the snow and rock, but all the snow seems like light fluffy powder. Is that right or is there also heavy wet snow, wind or sun crust, ice, and chunky death cookies (maybe that's just a local term - like post blasting debris)? I'm guessing there is no groomed stuff.

How is the tree skiing? Tight or spaced out to maintain the momentum?

The turning is not really realistic, it's the same as about every other snowboard game. When I say it's not realistic, I mean that you don't really feel the depth of the powder as you turn. Still, it's not that bad and I think it plays quite well, despite the lack of realism.

Concerning the types of snow, there's not any variation. It's pretty much only powder, with some icy lakes and rocks here and there.

There's some forest in the game. Most are relatively spaced out so you don't crash every 10 feet, but some are more tight and require more awareness. Still, yet again, it's not the same feeling as freeriding through the woods.

Despite all of this, I consider the riding better than in most games.

DirtyLarry

I have had this game rented from GameFly for a few weeks now as I liked the Beta enough.
Fired it up the other day and dug what I played, I mostly got to the point I got in the Beta so was not a true session.
Tonight I played and prior I hung with Mary Jane, which I only do now on weekends since I am a responsible upstanding citizen over 40, and I have to say, some games were just meant to be played while in a certain frame of mind, and this is absolutely one of those games.
I have always believed MJ can enhance certain games, but this is a perfect damn example if I have ever seen one. The snowboarding in this game is damn good fun. Exhilarating as well.
I think I will be choosing Keep It Now and picking this one up.
So is the Season Pass even worth it, or is it mainly cosmetic shit?

ManeKast

What do you mean?

You can now pre-spin tricks making it WAY easier. Also if you touch the analogue while prepping you will now spin in that direction. Its annoying. Hopefylly can get used to it almost Platinumed this game (all gold on ski/snowboard anyway).

Patch notes; (fixed)

http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/1548233-Patch-notes-Game-Update-1-03-Forums

Summary;

Tricks Improvements [All Platforms]
If you ever struggled to perform tricks on skis or snowboard, this should definitely make things easier for you!

From now on, you can pre-select your next rotation before releasing your jump. Just push the left stick forward toward a specific direction, release your jump and your rotation will instantly be triggered.

Also, you can now combine turns and rotations more smoothly. Try to trigger tricks as you turn or switch and you’ll really feel the difference!

If you still appreciate calculating timing and using additional stick inputs, don’t worry, nothing has changed for you.

We hope you’ll enjoy these tricks improvements and look forward to hearing your feedback soon!

DirtyLarry

I have to say as a new player I am struggling with tricks myself. I feel like they are always the same trick, no variety, even though I am pushing my stick in different directions, etc.
It also is a pretty challenging game in the fact Gold is not guaranteed and in some cases Silver is hard to obtain as well. I like that as it is already challenging.

ManeKast

I have to say as a new player I am struggling with tricks myself. I feel like they are always the same trick, no variety, even though I am pushing my stick in different directions, etc.
It also is a pretty challenging game in the fact Gold is not guaranteed and in some cases Silver is hard to obtain as well. I like that as it is already challenging.

Trick based challenges should be a walk in the park now. The abity to prewind and pregrab makes things about 100x easier. Trivial even.

So much so the high score boards are now rediculous. This was my GOTY, now I give up on it. Now this latest patch has ruined the controls I spent over 100 hours perfecting. In fact the way I used to control now doen'tt work, I spin with the slightest turn of the left/right stick coming up jumps.

Stuff the Platinum. Was 98% to my first platinum too. And got season pass. Peeved.

But those of you that wanted SSX controls. Rejoice.

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
Trick based challenges should be a walk in the park now. The abity to prewind and pregrab makes things about 100x easier. Trivial even.

So much so the high score boards are now rediculous. This was my GOTY, now I give up on it. Now this latest patch has ruined the controls I spent over 100 hours perfecting. In fact the way I used to control now doen'tt work, I spin with the slightest turn of the left/right stick coming up jumps.

Stuff the Platinum. Was 98% to my first platinum too. And got season pass. Peeved.

But those of you that wanted SSX controls. Rejoice.

I haven't played in a week or so, but super pissed they made this change. I loved how the controls felt. Going full SSX on this was the wrong choice. Should have at least made it an option.

That's one of the changes I wanted. I remember absolutely ravaging this game in the post alpha and post beta surveys about it. Well that and everything else that I felt was wrong, but that was a big one.

Wootball

I can't see what's different about the tricks. When I'm holding the jump trigger, I can't prewind turns - it just turns my rider as it always did.

RodzTF

Wish we'd hear some news about the supposed Alaska update.

I'm debating whether to sell this on but a small part of me wants to gold every challenge, and from what I've tried to go back and gold so far, there are some very pesky challenges.

ManeKast

Wish we'd hear some news about the supposed Alaska update.

I'm debating whether to sell this on but a small part of me wants to gold every challenge, and from what I've tried to go back and gold so far, there are some very pesky challenges.

Wingsuit has some absolute nightmare hard/extreme challenges. I've nailed the snowboarding. Paragliding is pretty annoying but yet to tap it.

8 golds to go.

Gaenor

Banned
Fallen Rocks can absolutely suck it. That challenge is pissing me off so much.

That's the only challenge left for me. I'm stuck at 113-113-113 (G-S-B medals) and I don't see myself going 114-114-114 anytime soon lol !! Strange, as I've found the 2 other Extreme Wingsuit challenges much more easy.

Wootball

La Fieuse was a piece of cake - I'd heard it was the hardest but it was maybe 5-6 attempts and done. Fallen Rocks is just a dick.

SuBc8xh.gif

(the gif is loading fine, the game just freezes)

Me and a friend discovered how to glitch the ragdolls yesterday :D You just have to both pratfall on top of each other and spam up on the d-pad to do it. So many crazy things happened that I have a whole video to upload.

For example, we had one of our skis stretch thousands and thousands of feet. The crazier part was that they kept touching the snow, making huge streaks across it and slowing down our games to a crawl.

So I had a kind of Journey moment in the game yesterday, and it made me realize what Ubi is really onto when they talk about creating these massive worlds as a blank canvas. I was near the start of a challenge of some kind, me and another person who I'd never seen. We first started mimicking each other, then following. Then we just messed around together all the way down the mountain. Never talking, never joining up. But if I ever got too far ahead I'd stop, and he'd do the same for me. We snowboarded and paraglided and climbed small hills. I don't have any friends on PS4 so I never play with anybody online, but it was an intensely emotional experience with a stranger in a kind of understood and knowing way that was so beautiful. We both made it to the bottom of the mountain together, probably about 30 minutes or so in total, and walked into the end of the map. Just wanted to share :)

SuBc8xh.gif

(the gif is loading fine, the game just freezes)

Me and a friend discovered how to glitch the ragdolls yesterday :D You just have to both pratfall on top of each other and spam up on the d-pad to do it. So many crazy things happened that I have a whole video to upload.

For example, we had one of our skis stretch thousands and thousands of feet. The crazier part was that they kept touching the snow, making huge streaks across it and slowing down our games to a crawl.

I need to see this video.

danmaku

So I had a kind of Journey moment in the game yesterday, and it made me realize what Ubi is really onto when they talk about creating these massive worlds as a blank canvas. I was near the start of a challenge of some kind, me and another person who I'd never seen. We first started mimicking each other, then following. Then we just messed around together all the way down the mountain. Never talking, never joining up. But if I ever got too far ahead I'd stop, and he'd do the same for me. We snowboarded and paraglided and climbed small hills. I don't have any friends on PS4 so I never play with anybody online, but it was an intensely emotional experience with a stranger in a kind of understood and knowing way that was so beautiful. We both made it to the bottom of the mountain together, probably about 30 minutes or so in total, and walked into the end of the map. Just wanted to share :)

Same happened to me. I was freeriding with a friend and a random player decided to stick with us and we even played a challenge chosen by him. Players in this game seem a lot more laid back than the average online game.

ManeKast

Me and my mate are attempting to walk from the south to the north of the map. Its brutal. Apparently it can be done.

New patch improved controls. Carving feels better now.

I am love-love-loving this game. It's so relaxing just picking a spot and cruising/doing tricks ad infinitum. 60fps and beautiful, too.

Seeing that this is on sale for Xbox One, just curious is this the skiing/snowboard equivalent to Skate? I'm not saying is it as good as Skate, but more so how you had Tony Hawk with this arcadey style of gameplay and over the top stuff going on where Skate just had to...skate around doing cool tricks and shit see a mission, do it, then just keep skating around?

Does it deal with stat upgrades and equipment upgrades like the SSX games did?

Muninn

Banned
I feel this game is severely underrated. Ultra+ on PC fixed all those LODs and the game without an HUD is just a blast. Better than SSX3 IMO in totality. And Alaska DLC for free this Friday! People buy this game it's fantastic.

Wingsuiting is easily one of my favorite games alone. I love coming down from a balloon and just switching to my skiis or board for the mountain. The graphics are surprisingly very good and you can change the time of day and ambiance whenever you want. I hope this game sells more when it comes down to 30 bucks and lower.

Muninn

Banned
This game is so amazing and so underlooked. How can some people dislike this game where it's at now. This is better than SSX3 for fuck's sake. I should know I was just emulating that game. While different games overall I prefer this one for just the sheer beauty, especially with the Ultra+ setting LODs are great now! This team keeps delivering.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Why do they put those tall, wooden fences everywhere?

Sorry if I missed it - did you guys ever find out how to access the glow in the dark DLC/season pass items? I poked around in the inventory and shop menus but didn't see them

ManeKast

Sorry if I missed it - did you guys ever find out how to access the glow in the dark DLC/season pass items? I poked around in the inventory and shop menus but didn't see them

I had to go into the PS store and manually download it. Should be on the Steep game page if you highlight the game on the XMB and go to addons. I bought retail so my pass was redeemed that way too. In the in game store it wont show up if you bought it retail (gold edition).

MrBlonde

I haven't seen mine either ill have to check the store cause I have no glow in the dark anything.....I haven't played this in a while but in the mood so might fire it up tonight especially with the new mountain DLC coming soon.

Has any of the Season Pass DLC been released yet? I bought the Gold edition but again haven't been on in a while so no idea whats going on.

I enjoy the game but some events are really hard, wish it was a little easier but other then that pretty solid.

Thanks guys.

Yeah...it seems weird for me on PC. I have the Steam Gold edition but the game acts like I don't own the season pass, in the game shop its prompting me to buy it and all the add ons say I need to purchase them.

But I looked up the Moonlight pack and where the *events* are and I do indeed have them, you just need to complete them and the glow suits will unlock.

Muninn

Banned
Alaska has rails and different terrain. About as big as the Alps. This game is fucking amazing. Game is purely underrated by the media and the people that refuse to even try it. I hope the sale when Alaska comes out convinces people to pick this up. Ultra+ on PC is beautiful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pm_DFZFDG-E

Also, I hate the OT title for this game. This game has very little to do with Shaun White or what he does. Period.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
After a number of weeks with this game... some things are (really) good. However, not having any control over your landing and being forced to watch the AI fuck it up over and over again, is just incredibly grating.

I like to speed down the mountains, and god is the auto-land just especially dismal in this setting. At some point you basically lose all input when you're skimming the ground at speed. Because even six inches off the ground, you have no agency as a player, you become an observer while the game plays itself -- and the game is a damn noob.

What a terrible decision. I struggle to get past this. In wingsuit, that delicate line, where you're pushing the limits right up to the point of disaster... that's the whole point of the sport, and it feels good. You're in control and mistakes are your own. But they've completely stripped that from the snow sports. Instead you get to watch Ubisoft play the game... takes all the fun out of it.

What the fuck were they thinking.

ironcreed

Banned
Digging this game so far. Very relaxing, even though some of the challenges are hard as hell. It's a nice change of pace for sure.

Top Bottom