• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEINS;GATE |OT| El. Psy. Congroo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bathingape

Neo Member
How do you know?

i don't know you right. Shouldn't have said never. But its looking bleak. Nobodies talking about translating it on the internet. The only way it would get translated if it was officially translated by 5pb. Guess i could just play it with text aggregator and ppsspp and finish it in 10 years

cj_iwakura

i don't know you right. Shouldn't have said never. But its looking bleak. Nobodies talking about translating it on the internet. The only way it would get translated if it was officially translated by 5pb. Guess i could just play it with text aggregator and ppsspp and finish it in 10 years

Well, if no one does it, I will. Eventually.

bobawesome

I accidentally posted this in the Gaming OT a short while ago:
Funimation's anime solicitations for September 2014 have been updated and with them, Steins;Gate the complete series on blu-ray.
$38.49 for one of the best anime of all time is a no-brainer. I already own the series but I may jump on this again. A solicitation for Fuka Ryouiki no Déjà vu shouldn't be too far behind now. Hopefully Tatum has a hand in localizing the script this time as well.

Jigolo

just finished episode 8. I'm still confused as to how the time machine works. Or should I say how it activates?

They use their computer to send the mails back to the respective recipient or are they using their cells? And if they are using their cell phones do they have to be standing close to it or something? Like a condition?

For example, EP8 spoilers:
Did that guy who became a female actually send the message to their mother's beeper?
BTW if its answered in greater detail later in the show just ignore this post.

Step by step of what I think I understand (as of of episode 8! aka the microwave is version 1.02 or something)
1. time must be noon - 6
2. certain character limits
3. email only
4. seconds on the microwave = hours IRL?
5. turn machine on and press send on cell phone at the perfect time ( aka must be pressed at same time), must be close to machine?

been enjoying the show so far, its really interesting.

StayDead

just finished episode 8. I'm still confused as to how the time machine works. Or should I say how it activates?

They use their computer to send the mails back to the respective recipient or are they using their cells? And if they are using their cell phones do they have to be standing close to it or something? Like a condition?

For example, EP8 spoilers:
Did that guy who became a female actually send the message to their mother's beeper?
BTW if its answered in greater detail later in the show just ignore this post.

Step by step of what I think I understand (as of of episode 8! aka the microwave is version 1.02 or something)
1. time must be noon - 6
2. certain character limits
3. email only
4. seconds on the microwave = hours IRL?
5. turn machine on and press send on cell phone at the perfect time ( aka must be pressed at same time), must be close to machine?

been enjoying the show so far, its really interesting.

I'll spoiler this although none of it's really spoilers.

1. Time only needs to be noon - 6 as that's the time Mr Braun has his huge CRT TV on in the back of the store which for a reason I can't remember makes the denwa renji kakkokari work like it does.
2. There's a character limit due to the amount of data that can be sent back at a single time, hence why Okabe's first text got split into three different messages.
3. Mail in this case is reffering to texting, just the Japanese word for it is メール (meeru)
4. Fairly certain it's something like that, can't remember exactly.
5. As long as the denwa renji is on and "cooking" something then I'm fairly certain it doesn't matter where they are, although I can't remember that one (just remember that Okabe's first text is sent from outside the rajikan building

Glad you're enjoying it so far <3

T

Transhuman

Unconfirmed Member
Are the female character's height, weight and body measurements relevant to the plot?

Jigolo

Well I was able to finish it in about 3 days, lol. It was soooo good I couldn't stop watching it. I loved it.

Qurupeke

Oh wow. I always heard it was good but I didn't expect it to be that good. I loved the characters and their interactions with eachother. Kurisu is the best.

I actually thought it was over rated but still a great show.
That's probably because you heard too much praise before actually watching.
It happens to me all the time: people keep saying "this is amazing" or something similar, then when you actually try it out you usually end up not liking it as much, because you had such high expectations. And I hate when it happens ù_ù

Talents

Banned
Just finished watching it. Definitely one of the best animes I've seen. Now I'm just disappointed though as I wanted to see what happens later in their lives.

upandaway

Just finished watching it. Definitely one of the best animes I've seen. Now I'm just disappointed though as I wanted to see what happens later in their lives.
Funny you mention that because I didn't see this mentioned in the thread anywhere (LN sequel to the VN), maybe I just missed the post. The site is translated here

StayDead

Funny you mention that because I didn't see this mentioned in the thread anywhere (LN sequel to the VN), maybe I just missed the post. The site is translated here

I'm seriously considering order it, but I have three other books near untouched outside of the first one and I'm not a huge fan of the designs they've used for the slightly older characters and it's coming out in my largest month purchase wise, but damn as a Steins;Gate fan I'm not sure I can turn it down x_x

BtYujDECMAEsuwL.jpg

Source: https://twitter.com/kutuwagon/status/492632389286240256/photo/1

I find this quite amusing I have to say :D

Nibel

I've just finished watching 24 episodes of this and didn't bother to watch the last one since the story seemed to be wrapped up.

I encountered this anime for the first time while browsing though MyAnimeList.net which is the closest to a Anime ImdB/RT that I could find on the net and saw it at the #2 spot. So, the premise sounds interesting and I started to watch it.

What a boring and overrated show, at least on MAL where I've picked it up.

The first six episodes felt like pure anime hell to me; a boring and uninspired art design and a unlikeable cast of characters that consists of females who all fall for the protagonist who is a dumb prick and a overweight cliche-otaku with no character development.

Fucking Mayuri is the worst of the bunch, not only because of her annoying high-pitched chipmunk voice or because she seem to be mentally stuck at the age of 3, but because she is the boring animu-waifu character that has nothing to say other than predictable wisdoms and other shoddy pathos. Add that she talks about herself in third person all the time and you've got a character that I don't give a damn about.

Kurisu could have been such a great character, but of course she's a virgin who has only eyes for our protagonist and therefore participates in his dumb clashes which always focus about her nicknames nobody gives a shit about. Seriously, that's almost her entire dialogue in the first few episodes: "Without -tina!" "I'm not your assistant!" "You are a pervert". She didn't feel like a 18-year old genius at all.

Only Ruku and Faris seem to be interesting despite the latter having annoying shit to say as well.

There are some good bits here and there, but they never really pickup and are left behind for the sake of moe goodness. The idea of SERN seemed to promising, but in the end it's nothing more than smokes and mirrors; it seems like they agreed to drop the whole idea to focus on the love between the two protagonists. Why did you turn a time-travelling story into a predictable, unexciting love story between two characters that are boring? You can really feel that this is based on a VN at so many times, ugh.

I can't help but feel that a somewhat interesting concept has fallen victim to the otaku culture and its need for moe, teenage bullshit in every anime ever. There are so many scenes that made me roll my eyes and thinking they can't be serious with some of the fan service elements. And yet this anime is celebrated among various communities, and I can't help but feel this might be the Inception of animes; a creative work with a interesting premise that is being described as 'mindblowing' by many viewers because those viewers are used to see much dumber shit and therefore celebrate it. Not that Inception is a bad movie, but isn't as clever as it wants to be.

I see there is a lot of excitement for this franchise and you can be excited. I just wanted to vent and didn't want to bother to create a specific thread for it, and will conclude with saying that this show has a cool premise that is intertwined in a web of boring anime tropes that not only hold back the potential of the story but also make Steins;Gate a show that feels like it won't stick in my mind for too long.

I won't create a time machine to stop the creation of the show though.

StayDead

While you're free to think what you want

fallen victim to the otaku culture

Considering the game/show is following the story of a bunch of socially inept otaku who find themselves being best friends because of their hobbies/other links I think you've somewhat missed the boat on the premise of the show :p

Garteal

Well at least you've watched all the episodes despite not liking it from the beginning.

The first six episodes felt like pure anime hell to me; a boring and uninspired art design and a unlikeable cast of characters that consists of females who all fall for the protagonist who is a dumb prick and a overweight cliche-otaku with no character development.
Is it necessary to call out the art style? The art style isn't on par with the VN obviously, but there's nothing wrong with it. Unlikeable.. heh.. if that's your opinion then undoubtedly you won't like the show. There's character development in the show from episode one. Not all the females fell for Okabe, just Kurisu.

Kurisu could have been such a great character, but of course she's a virgin who has only eyes for our protagonist and therefore participates in his dumb clashes which always focus about her nicknames nobody gives a shit about. Seriously, that's almost her entire dialogue in the first few episodes: "Without -tina!" "I'm not your assistant!" "You are a pervert".
She's a great character. Initially she didn't have any feelings for Okabe, but after all they went through feelings started to develop. Whatever clashes took place with her reacting like that were because she genuinely didn't like it. You're over-exaggerating on the occurrence.

She didn't feel like a 18-year old genius at all.
And how should an 18 year old genius act according to you? Surely you've seen her explain 'complex' topics in the anime (and even more in the VN). She's 18, let her act like her age. I see nothing wrong with how she acts. (It's anime so obviously it'll be exaggerated).

There are some good bits here and there, but they never really pickup and are left behind for the sake of moe goodness.
There's moe in it, but not as much as you claim and it certainly didn't overshadow the main premise. They've wrapped up the whole thing. Now there's obviously a lot missing from the VN, but the main premise has been delivered.

The idea of SERN seemed to promising, but in the end it's nothing more than smokes and mirrors; it seems like they agreed to drop the whole idea to focus on the love between the two protagonists. Why did you turn a time-travelling story into a predictable, unexciting love story between two characters that are boring?
If you find the characters boring you won't give a thing about their development. Their relationship is key to the premise of the show. It has romance is it, but it is in no way just a love story. Besides most of the love part happened nearly near the end after a lot of time-traveling.

MCD

watched it recently. such a brilliant show, why did I let the first episodes fool me all these years?

LayLa

rewatched the whole series last week for the first time since it aired, impressions largely the same - takes a long time to get going, but once it suddenly kicks into gear around episode 10 its one hell of a ride until the end. The episode where he confronts Moeka about FB was really dark! afterwards watched the film for the first time, wasn't expecting much as film spinoffs are usually not that good and was still disappointed by it, thought it was really poorly written :/

MetalDeer

I just finished the anime and I will watch the movie tonight. But I need more. Please tell me where to find more.

I highly recommend you consider playing the VN.

Edit: Pre-ordered that Blu-ray/DVD set. Gonna watch it again in Japanese when I get it. 'Cause I need an excuse to watch this again.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
I agree with this; the VN has a lot more stuff, especially the different paths and endings; those alone are definitely worth checking out.

I highly recommend you consider playing the VN.

Edit: Pre-ordered that Blu-ray/DVD set. Gonna watch it again in Japanese when I get it. 'Cause I need an excuse to watch this again.

Bu...but...it is not on Steam. And probably never will. :((((

MetalDeer

Bu...but...it is not on Steam. And probably never will. :((((

Eh, big deal. I paid $40 for the physical release, don't regret it at all. Do you want more Steins;Gate or not?

And actually, I heard they're just waiting on someone to approve the Steam release, so you never know.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Eh, big deal. I paid $40 for the physical release, don't regret it at all. Do you want more Steins;Gate or not?

And actually, I heard they're just waiting on someone to approve the Steam release, so you never know.

Fair enough. By the way, out of all the light novels or sequels to the original game. Which ones are the most recommended (to start there).

MetalDeer

Fair enough. By the way, out of all the light novels or sequels to the original game. Which ones are the most recommended (to start there).

I actually know nothing about the light novels/sequels, sorry. Maybe someone else here has some knowledge on them. Actually, I kinda hope someone does, because I'm curious about them, too.

Aexact

Man, I ended up with an overwhelmingly positive impression of the show but reading Nibel's (and other people's) impressions, that first half really was something huh? I remember feeling as if it were a parade of my least favorite anime cliches.

The second half ends up validating it. The character types end up driving personal decisions rather then feel as if it's a lineup of required quirky tropes. Mundane decisions are revealed as plot driving necessities, which dispelled most of my distaste. That many of the seemingly meaningless elements ended up having meaning was mind blowing.

Incidentally, was playing Bravely Default at the same time and heard the writer was the same. The concept of futile repetition was a neat parallel!

Mononoke

Banned
Still my all time favorite anime. The characters were so amazing that I wouldn't mind spending more time with them even without a central plot. I've seen the movie multiple times but am still waiting for the dub since I actually like the English cast better. I know the actor that voiced Mayuri left funimation. So I guess that means she won't be back? :(

EDIT: WTF, I had no idea that Ashley Burch did Mayuri. I guess she originally did this gig under the alias Jackie Ross (I had read that actor left Funimation). But I guess she's coming back for the film Dub, and she's not using an alias anymore for that role. Crazy shit. Never would have guessed it was her. Honestly, I actually think this was the few times that I was happy with an English actor's take on the cutesy Japanese girl voice (usually it sounds really bad with English dubs).

http://myanimelist.net/people/30377/Ashly_Burch

MetalDeer

Still my all time favorite anime. The characters were so amazing that I wouldn't mind spending more time with them even without a central plot. I've seen the movie multiple times but am still waiting for the dub since I actually like the English cast better. I know the actor that voiced Mayuri left funimation. So I guess that means she won't be back? :(

EDIT: WTF, I had no idea that Ashley Burch did Mayuri. I guess she originally did this gig under the alias Jackie Ross (I had read that actor left Funimation). But I guess she's coming back for the film Dub, and she's not using an alias anymore for that role. Crazy shit. Never would have guessed it was her. Honestly, I actually think this was the few times that I was happy with an English actor's take on the cutesy Japanese girl voice (usually it sounds really bad with English dubs).

http://myanimelist.net/people/30377/Ashly_Burch

Is the OVA where Mayuri has a different English VA? Because there was something mighty weird about her voice in that.

It's good the original voice actress is coming back for the movie's dub, though. I don't think I could stand whoever did the voice in the OVA for a whole movie. I have no problems with watching it in Japanese, even though I don't speak the language. Okabe's maniacal laugh in Japanese is just too great.

And yeah, I had no clue Ashly Burch did voice acting. She must be pretty good, since I didn't recognize her voice at all.

Edit: Huh.. MyAnimeList says she did Mayuri in the OVA, too. Weird. Something just sounded really off about her voice.

Mononoke

Banned
Is the OVA where Mayuri has a different English VA? Because there was something mighty weird about her voice in that.

It's good the original voice actress is coming back for the movie's dub, though. I don't think I could stand whoever did the voice in the OVA for a whole movie. I have no problems with watching it in Japanese, even though I don't speak the language. Okabe's maniacal laugh in Japanese is just too great.

And yeah, I had no clue Ashly Burch did voice acting. She must be pretty good, since I didn't recognize her voice at all.

Edit: Huh.. MyAnimeList says she did Mayuri in the OVA, too. Weird. Something just sounded really off about her voice.

I'll have to go back and re-watch it, but I don't recall the voice actor sounding different in the OVA. But if she does, maybe her voice just changed? Oddly enough, I would think that OVA would have been done in the same recording sessions as the main season (since it was included in the release of the Season dub).

MetalDeer

I'll have to go back and re-watch it, but I don't recall the voice actor sounding different in the OVA. But if she does, maybe her voice just changed? Oddly enough, I would think that OVA would have been done in the same recording sessions as the main season (since it was included in the release of the Season dub).

Eh, it might've just been a bad take or something. The only part that really stood out to me as bad is when they're at the lab and Mayuri is talking about Kurisu at the beginning of the OVA.

Mononoke

Banned
Eh, it might've just been a bad take or something. The only part that really stood out to me as bad is when they're at the lab and Mayuri is talking about Kurisu at the beginning of the OVA.

Yeah certainly possible! She could have also just had an off week. Voice acting can be pretty intensive, and I've heard instances where the voice actor is sick or their vocals are strained. Even something tiny like that can alter the voice ever so slightly, and sound off. But you are probably right, probably just an off take.

Glad she's back for the movie though! I wonder why Burch originally did this under an alias (Jackie Ross). I mean, is that really something you would want to hide? I think it was actually her brother who accidentally outed this on Twitter. One of their friends was watching Steins Gate's dub, and he said that's the one with my sister in it. Then he realized that she did it under the alias name and backed down.

But I guess behind the scenes, she's now ok'd her name for the credit as all sites now list it (and the Dub announced her in the cast).

Garteal

I actually know nothing about the light novels/sequels, sorry. Maybe someone else here has some knowledge on them. Actually, I kinda hope someone does, because I'm curious about them, too.
There's a bunch you can read: manga's, light novels and short stories. There are also a couple of drama CDs etc if you're interested. It's unfortunate that we aren't getting Hiyoku Renri no Darling though, which is a spin-off of the VN, tossing the cast in weird and funny situations.

If you're interested in the list, let me know, either here or via PM and I'll PM the link.

MetalDeer

There's a bunch you can read: manga's, light novels and short stories. There are also a couple of drama CDs etc if you're interested. It's unfortunate that we aren't getting Hiyoku Renri no Darling though, which is a spin-off of the VN, tossing the cast in weird and funny situations.

If you're interested in the list, let me know, either here or via PM and I'll PM the link.

Sure, PM me that link. I could use something to read. Particularly interested in the manga.

I would love to play Hiyoku Renri no Darling, it's too bad there probably won't be an official translation. Hopefully there'll be a fan patch eventually, if possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom