• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEINS;GATE |OT| El. Psy. Congroo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

StayDead

Just plowed through this. It was awesome. Those first 10 episodes are dangerous, though. I kept watching because I liked the characters. But it was very very slow.

And then after episode 10... DAMN. Those 14 episodes flew by like nothing.

Great characters. Great mix of genres and emotions -- thriller, scifi, romance, comedy. Not many shows can balance all of them so well.

I'm extremely happy with this, I know quite a lot of people who stopped in the first 10 episodes, but with characters like there are I'm really surprised since I adored them enough to carry on.

In other news there was a fourth book announced for the book series (for those who are learning/can read Japanese), I own all three so far but I still haven't read them. I really need to get a reading light or something so I can read them at night when I want to. The lighting in my room is atrocious.

OqzEfYw.jpg

http://dengekionline.com/elem/000/000/824/824951/

InfiniteNine has made an OT for the English release of the game, opost there and here if you're a fan <3

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=790508

thejpfin

In other news there was a fourth book announced for the book series (for those who are ]
So does this mean that Season 2 is possible, If they are still writing Steins;Gate?

Watched every Steins;Gate EP week ago. 10/10 show!
I just finished Deja vu movie, but I still need more Steins;Gate in my veins.

StayDead

So does this mean that Season 2 is possible, If they are still writing Steins;Gate?

Watched every Steins;Gate EP week ago. 10/10 show!
I just finished Deja vu movie, but I still need more Steins;Gate in my veins.

Well the first book from what I remember (it's been a long time since I read the first half of it) was a prequel to the original series if I remember correctly and it showed Kurisu at her University in America before she came back to Japan (although maybe I'm remembering incorrectly I'll have to check)

From the adult popular science adventure series [Steins;Gate]. Comes the final new work in the Steins;Gate linear bounded phenogram book series, Linear Bounded Mosaicism.

A new urban legend runs rampant through Akihabara and the labmen are recieving strange D-Mails. Who is interfering with the past? Are they from a future where nobody dies? Or are they from a locked worldline!?

(this line is a bit confusing for me but I think this is what it says)

Find inside the inclusion 11 varying episodes in the Steins;Gate Phenogram series. This will all be collected as one, what reconstructed future are the lab members heading towards!?

(that bit confused the hell out of me, it's probably wrong so apologies)

Although... everything is the choice of the Steins;Gate.

(Mosaicism) : Biology. Mosaic, the existance of cells with different genotypes in a single living creature.

Now I apologise for my terrible translation, I'm not too bad but when it comes to loads of words I need to learn in one go. After learning the words I can understand what they're saying in Japanese, but have a really hard time translating them back into English (well most of the time anyways, I still don't understand what the first two "sentances" in the third paragraph mean. Translating that was fun because to work out a certain word I learnt something new about biology, funfunfun! :>

This is mosaicism in genetics btw. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mosaic_(genetics)

thejpfin

Well the first book from what I remember (it's been a long time since I read the first half of it) was a prequel to the original series if I remember correctly and it showed Kurisu at her University in America before she came back to Japan
Interesting, good thing I'm learning Japanese. Maybe in a few months when my Japanese gets better I can "try" to read this book.

Just plowed through this. It was awesome. Those first 10 episodes are dangerous, though. I kept watching because I liked the characters. But it was very very slow.

And then after episode 10... DAMN. Those 14 episodes flew by like nothing.

Great characters. Great mix of genres and emotions -- thriller, scifi, romance, comedy. Not many shows can balance all of them so well.

I think this goes up there with Bebop, Champloo, Gurren Lagann.

Watch should I watch next...

Welcome to the NHK
Monster
Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood

Damn that's tough, those are three of my favorites of all time. I'd say FMA first though.

Garteal

That cover... I need it.

Well the first book from what I remember (it's been a long time since I read the first half of it) was a prequel to the original series if I remember correctly and it showed Kurisu at her University in America before she came back to Japan (although maybe I'm remembering incorrectly I'll have to check)

Now I apologise for my terrible translation, I'm not too bad but when it comes to loads of words I need to learn in one go. After learning the words I can understand what they're saying in Japanese, but have a really hard time translating them back into English (well most of the time anyways, I still don't understand what the first two "sentances" in the third paragraph mean. Translating that was fun because to work out a certain word I learnt something new about biology, funfunfun! :>

This is mosaicism in genetics btw. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mosaic_(genetics)
Thanks for the translation. That sounds interesting. More Kurisu is always welcome.
I really want to start reading them. Are they translated somewhere or do I have to start learning kanji?

I really need to watch this series.
Do it. What's keeping you?

StayDead

That cover... I need it.

Thanks for the translation. That sounds interesting. More Kurisu is always welcome.
I really want to start reading them. Are they translated somewhere or do I have to start learning kanji?

Do it. What's keeping you?

I've not seen them translated anywhere, but depending on how long you''ve been learning Japanese it could be cool to start on them. It'll be very slow but you'll learn lots of new words and learning with something you enjoy is much better. I can't even count how many words I learnt through playing the VN very slowly, I sped up as I went through and words got repeated, but when you notice that happen you know the learning is working :>

How long have you been learning?

Garteal

I've not seen them translated anywhere, but depending on how long you''ve been learning Japanese it could be cool to start on them. It'll be very slow but you'll learn lots of new words and learning with something you enjoy is much better.
I agree. It's probably one of the better ways to keep oneself motivated enough to push through the learning process to be able to understand the story.

How long have you been learning?
I haven't started yet, but it looks like it's finally time to do so. Naturally since I also watch anime every now and then, I can understand some (basic) words.

How long have you been learning to reach up to the point where you are right now?
Got any advice/tips to share?

george_us

Bought this on Blu-Ray after catching the first four episode on Hulu Plus. Just finished Episode 12 now and cotdamn shit just got real.

LOLDSFAN

So I finished with the main series.

Good stuff. I think they did a really good job with the concept of time travel. The dialogue in the English dub was amazingly brilliant. (IMO if you're a native English speaker, you're doing yourself a disservice if you don't watch it dub'd) Only downside for me was that I had a huge time lapse in between episode 20 and 21. It may have hurt my enjoyment of the series since I tend to forget stuff overtime. But yeah it was still a masterfully put together series.

I'll probably hold off on watching the movie for a few months/years since it was almost a 2 year wait originally.

StayDead

I can't change the name off the thread to include Robotics;Notes myself but here's something cool.

aKoYqoh.jpg

They've released a Robotics;Notes Elite VR app in Japan now and they're some of the posters you can get which work with it (each one is store exclusive to a different store)

http://roboticsnotes.jp/

full inffo is on there with better sample posters than the ones in the picture, but they're awesomely drawn <3

Hello everyone! I have seen the anime last year (I think) and loved it. Today I just finished the VN and loved it even more (didn't even think it was possible to be honest). After that I watched the OVA and the movie; both pretty good, but not as good as the series/VN imho.

Yes, you may say it's somewhat unnecessary but
I thought the concepts and issues they bought up in the movie were relatively interesting. I found it hard to believe at the end of the game/series that everything ended perfectly since until then everything had been a disaster.

The thing I liked the most about it was it finally gave Kurisu, the best character a chance to finally truely understand not only her feelings for him, but also his feelings for her. Okabe had given so much to save both him and Mayuri and although everyone somewhat remembered the events through dreams only Okabe was the one who in his current form had to live through it all.

Despite everything she'd ever believed as a physicist and despite never knowing about time machines first hand she fought her memories to try and build the time leap machine in order to save him and although he told her not to do it and she agreed, eventually her feelings got the best of her and she made the time machine, much like Daru did in the Alpha timeline and Okabe did himself in the Beta timeline to send Suzuha back to try and fix things.

I loved how the time machine this time rather than being FG204 which was Daru's invention after the Future Gadget motif him and Okabe always added to everything they created, but it was called OR204. I'm also not entirely sure on this but I think the OR might stand for Operation Ragnarok which as far as I can remember was the name Okabe gave to the operation near the end where he went back to fool time to save Kurisu from the attractor field convergance
I think the OR stands for Okabe Rintarou, like C was for Christina.
Anyway, while I enjoyed the movie, I still felt like it was unnecessary. (I felt the same about the third Madoka Movie honestly)
Movie spoiler ahead:
The thing I enjoyed the most of the movie was seeing bits of the alternate routes/ending from the VN, which I finished today.
What I disliked the most though is the change to "Reading Steiner". There's no reason why now it would make Okabe be able to leap to another timeline while it couldn't before.
But apart from that it was still pretty enjoyable.

StayDead

Hello everyone! I have seen the anime last year (I think) and loved it. Today I just finished the VN and loved it even more (didn't even think it was possible to be honest). After that I watched the OVA and the movie; both pretty good, but not as good as the series/VN imho.

I think the OR stands for Okabe Rintarou, like C was for Christina.
Anyway, while I enjoyed the movie, I still felt like it was unnecessary. (I felt the same about the third Madoka Movie honestly)
Movie spoiler ahead:
The thing I enjoyed the most of the movie was seeing bits of the alternate routes/ending from the VN, which I finished today.
What I disliked the most though is the change to "Reading Steiner". There's no reason why now it would make Okabe be able to leap to another timeline while it couldn't before.
But apart from that it was still pretty enjoyable.

To your first bit, I realised my mistake but forgot to edit my post.

To your second bit.

I think there is a pretty good reason as to why it happens. I think it's down to the fact that Okabe Rintarou shouldn't still either exist or be alive in that timeline. It's either down to him dying in the accident he had (when he was run over) or he just plain didn't exist until Okabe forced his way into the Steins;Gate worldline. So his stronger memories are pulling his conciousness back away from the worldline to one where he existed before.

By Kurisu giving younger Okabe (who was almost a filler character to the worldline who shouldn't have existed in the first place) a powerful memory to remember, it gave his current conciousness enough power to stay in the worldline and not get pulled away. Even then I believe that probably sounds a bit bonkers and it probably is, hopefully they go into more detail at some point about it in a book or something.

To your first bit, I realised my mistake but forgot to edit my post.

To your second bit.

I think there is a pretty good reason as to why it happens. I think it's down to the fact that Okabe Rintarou shouldn't still either exist or be alive in that timeline. It's either down to him dying in the accident he had (when he was run over) or he just plain didn't exist until Okabe forced his way into the Steins;Gate worldline. So his stronger memories are pulling his conciousness back away from the worldline to one where he existed before.

By Kurisu giving younger Okabe (who was almost a filler character to the worldline who shouldn't have existed in the first place) a powerful memory to remember, it gave his current conciousness enough power to stay in the worldline and not get pulled away. Even then I believe that probably sounds a bit bonkers and it probably is, hopefully they go into more detail at some point about it in a book or something.
I mean, I understand what they wanted to do and how it worked, but it just feels somewhat wrong to me.
In particular, why didn't that happen all the other times he time leaped? There wasn't that much of a difference all those times either. And also, it still doesn't explain how his memories being "confused" can make him disappear. Faris remembered a lot of stuff that in theory didn't happen, but didn't make her disappear or anything.
About the fact that he should have died: even if he died in the accident, then that wouldn't explain everyone forgetting him, especially Mayuri. It would explain the fact that Daru created the Lab instead of him and the other stuff, but how could Mayuri forget him altogether?

Anyway, now that I finished the big stuff, I'll probably read what of the Manga have been translated so far. There's quite a lot of different series D:

Well... I've been in Akihabara this week so here's some pics of real-life Steins;Gate locations:
ihRBo1t.jpg

The Future Gadget Lab. Yeah, this place doesn't look anything like it, but this is supposed to be it.

IGvMW86.jpg

The beef bowl eating place

1vx9jdv.jpg

The coin lockers where the IBN 5100 was stored

ibzgDKNYgLpuNH.jpg

The shrine gate. The actual shrine building is in another location though.

MBf2Jkq.jpg

This is where Faris lives

nzK9Epd.jpg

The park where Kurisu and Okabe went

7jkAdNW.jpg

The maid cafe where Mayuri and Faris works

Ex46XLI.jpg

Steins;Gate poster outside the maid cafe

M1do1LB.jpg

Omuraisu meal... I was there already, might as well...

uegyNsX.jpg

Matches the game

And just to complete the set. Some more generic pics:

JySdVu4.jpg

UDX building

MoyKpPy.jpg

Yodobashi Akiba

uCbZope.jpg

JR Akihabara station

Sywdbvu.jpg

Empty streets of Akihabara...

Oh, and before anybody asks... The radio hall crash site is no longer there. The building has been torn down.

Oh, and before anybody asks... The radio hall crash site is no longer there. The building has been torn down.
That must be SERN doing... they'd do everything to hide their experiments

That aside, really nice shots, I hope I'll be able to visit Akiahabara too someday :D

StayDead

Wait, Rajikan was completely torn down? I knew they were doing something construction wise but I thought it was just refurb, not complete rebuild.

upandaway

Well... I've been in Akihabara this week so here's some pics of real-life Steins;Gate locations:

This is really cool. Bummer about the radio hall.

Damn this is making me want to rewatch it again soon.

Garteal

This is what happens when you watch anime/tv-shows 3am. :p
I should probably rewatch Steins...

Btw you were talking about Robotics;Notes, is it worth watching? Any similarities between Steins; and Robotics?
Yeah you should. You probably missed a lot watching it that late.

Robotics;Notes is worth watching IMO. It does start out much 'slower' than Steins;Gate, but push through if the first five episodes keep your interest (it gets really interesting in the 1x range though...). There are no similarities between Steins;Gate and Robotics;Notes. You will see some familiar character(s and characteristics though. There are also some cameos.

Wait, Rajikan was completely torn down? I knew they were doing something construction wise but I thought it was just refurb, not complete rebuild.

I posted that pic on Twitter earlier but here's some more I found on the net:

Photoset of the teardown:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/workshop/sets/72157629167234602

N9VOZ01.jpg

Later in 2012

g3a2MBK.jpg

Sometime in 2013

Qm865UI.jpg

My pic of the site yesterday. The new building will be opened later this year I think.

cj_iwakura

Watched the film last night. Powerful stuff. I'll definitely watch again if it gets dubbed.

I had kind of hoped for a post-ending scene. I envisioned a fun one showing a young child wearing a familiar labcoat and tinkering with a really late-model FG.

Oh, and the Nae-yandere reference was great.

I had kind of hoped for a post-ending scene. I envisioned a fun one showing a young child wearing a familiar labcoat and tinkering with a really late-model FG.

Oh, and the Nae-yandere reference was great.
I loved seeing it in the anime, after seeing in the VN. It's a shame they showed only a tiny bit.

StayDead

The May edition of Ultra Jump that came out on April 19th showcases the latest Steins;Gate manga which features the Steins;Gate story through Shiina Mayuri’s perspective. Yoshiki Naruse, who handled the adaptation of Kurisu’s perspective from drama CD to manga will also manage this adaptation of Mayur’s drama CD entitled Steins;Gate – Mugen Enten no Arc Light.

597YJa2.jpg

IWAJ203.jpg

http://www.kawaiikakkoiisugoi.com/2014/04/20/new-steinsgate-manga-told-mayuris-perspective/ (popped up on my twitter)

More Steins;Gate is always good <3

cj_iwakura

Heh, just realized the meaning of the last line in the film. Cute.

I wonder if that was meant to be Okabe's first kiss from the story's conception, or was it Moeka when he attacked her?

LiK

OMG, so cool!

I just finished the game but I guess I'll need to check out the anime series and movie too.

Heh, just realized the meaning of the last line in the film. Cute.

I wonder if that was meant to be Okabe's first kiss from the story's conception, or was it Moeka when he attacked her?
I think it makes more sense if it is the first one with her, rather than the one with Moeka.

Yeah you should. You probably missed a lot watching it that late.

Robotics;Notes is worth watching IMO. It does start out much 'slower' than Steins;Gate, but push through if the first five episodes keep your interest (it gets really interesting in the 1x range though...). There are no similarities between Steins;Gate and Robotics;Notes. You will see some familiar character(s and characteristics though. There are also some cameos.

Speaking of Robotics;Notes, I noticed that Amazon currently has the Robotics;Notes Part One Bluray/DVD Combo for only $19.96! That's a really sweet deal, I couldn't resist picking it up at that price. I'm pretty interested in how the dub will sound, too.

Speaking of Robotics;Notes, I noticed that Amazon currently has the Robotics;Notes Part One Bluray/DVD Combo for only $19.96! That's a really sweet deal, I couldn't resist picking it up at that price. I'm pretty interested in how the dub will sound, too.

Showing up as 45 bucks for me.

Do you have a link for the 19.96 price?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom