• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stella has been removed from FFXV; Itamuro writing game; Demo 2 June 9; FFXV not @ E3

sviri

I don't expect this game to be anything other than what's in the demo, and what they will show from here on out. I hope that it can nail the feel of an FF title in a unique way (like XII did), and that the story and dialogue isn't a clusterfuck of events/words that hold no value to me (like XIII was).

TheTux

This thread is getting ridiculous. I too was dissappointed that Stella was cut, but we're letting it get the best of us. Thread is now devolved into calling Tabata and his team perverts, while glorifying very short trailers, that over the course of five years, repeated similar scenes over and over again.

Nomura had his chance to make Versus, and he failed. Tabata is given the chance to make the best of the situation, make a complete Final Fantasy out of it in reasonable time frame, and is given the satan role because of it. Imagine being Tabata, having to take over a dysfunctional production with no clear vision or goal in sight. Naturally changes would have been made. Tabata isn't Nomura. Which is why SE put him there in the first place. Do we want an actual Final Fantasy out of this or a continued trend of vague trailers with Shakespeare quotes thrown in the middle of it with little sense of coherence?

Am I dissappointed in certain aspects of FFXV? Of course I am. Do I believe that what Nomura was doing was better for the game than what Tabata is doing? I don't. Tabata and his team have done so much progress for the game in just two years. We were given an actual playable demo which people liked. The trailers show promise and progress. From having media black-outs that could last years, we're now given daily updates on the game's development. That, in itself is a luxury for anyone who has been excited for the game since its reveal almost a decade ago.

In hindsight, perhaps the optimal course would've been having Nomura and Tabata being co-directors from the start where one serves as a visionary and the other as a realist.

100% agree but I guess that most people are pissed off because Tabata didn't say this earlier, am I wrong?

Dark_castle

I'm kinda late to this, but I have to throw in my 2 cents because it seems like no one is addressing another issue with this character change. There are many of you who believe that this change is completely inconsequential or just plain weird. But there's a whole 'nother dynamic to this that deserves to be addressed. The way we've been going at it is comparing these two characters and our perceived interpretation of their personalities. I think that's skindeep and doesn't really address that heart of the matter. We're on the verge of something very important, yet no one has brought up the actual issue at hand. If I didn't know any better, I would say the average poster in this thread is purposefully tiptoeing around a taboo that seems to hover around FFXV threads like a ghost.

And to be completely honest, I'm thoroughly surprised. After this news, I was sure that it would come up, that we'd finally be able to talk about this. And then, I read this thread, and can only feel dissapointed in the level of discourse. Square Enix has given us an opportunity to tackle the issue in a way fans of this development trouble game haven't since it was first announced. And we're squandering it. We're not living up to the standards that we hold dear. Especially with the revelations from the demo. That should've been the tipping point. The proverbial straw that broke the camel's back. Maybe, after all this time, there are fans who have simply given up. We keep telling ourselves that things will get better. We keep telling ourselves that Legend of Korra was any good after the first season. It was okay. It could have been a lot better. I was dissapointed when they got rid of Amon. What was the point of building him up so much.

*Reading through the post multiple times and still couldn't find the said issue*

tumblr_milq16NwQg1rbfevao1_250.gif

Nikokuno

The Stella Gate is kinda understandable at this point, but we, players can't do shit about that. But when you look at the global mess around how the game was (is) handle, even if you truly trust Tabata and co., I don't think it's rightful to make the FF XV demo something cashy... It's like self promoting Type-0, which is an average game.

Well, I will reconsider my talk if the game come on Steam/SquEnix Launcher. I was hyped for VXIII, not anymore for XV. Please understand. (Hope it turn great)

It would be healthy to, also, change how the production of the mainline title is directed. Like a new team/staff for XVI, then for XVII, etc. Every FF are standalone game so it's not awkward to shuffle the ideas a bit. I would love to see young underdog scenarist, new chara designer, etc.
Because I think a lot of the big head are stressed leading big project like that and flirting with the burnout is not cool, and Toriyama is getting on my nerves...

And I would like to see FF XII IZJ on PSV cause I not sure that FFX need to be the new FFIV at this point >.> (I never play FFX and I planning to buy it on Vita btw.) Also, an Ivalice FF is something I want to see again.

TheTux

The Stella Gate is kinda understandable at this point, but we, players can't do shit about that. But when you look at the global mess around how the game was (is) handle, even if you truly trust Tabata and co., I don't think it's rightful to make the FF XV demo something cashy... It's like self promoting Type-0, which is an average game.

Well, I will reconsider my talk if the game come on Steam/SquEnix Launcher. I was hyped for VXIII, not anymore for XV. Please understand. (Hope it turn great)

It would be healthy to, also, change how the production of the mainline title is directed. Like a new team/staff for XVI, then for XVII, etc. Every FF are standalone game so it's not awkward to shuffle the ideas a bit. I would love to see young underdog scenarist, new chara designer, etc.
Because I think a lot of the big head are stressed leading big project like that and flirting with the burnout is not cool, and Toriyama is getting on my nerves...

And I would like to see FF XII IZJ on PSV cause I not sure that FFX need to be the new FFIV at this point >.> (I never play FFX and I planning to buy it on Vita btw.) Also, an Ivalice FF is something I want to see again.

They don't use the SquEnix launcher anymore, they realized it is garbage.

Falk

that puzzling face
I presume Final Fantasy XV IOTI STELLAAAAAAAA! Has already been suggested?

All jokes aside, I'd hope that by that point people are interested in actually discussing the game rather than what could have been. Separate reminiscence or "wtf cindy" topics are fine, obviously.

sensui-tomo

All jokes aside, I'd hope that by that point people are interested in actually discussing the game rather than what could have been. Separate reminiscence or "wtf cindy" topics are fine, obviously.

Not gonna happen, people are going to see FF15 and be like "What happened here? I thought I could switch characters. PRODUCT PLACEMENT???, Where's mah female party members" because they didnt keep up with it, did a media blockout, because they saw a trailer YEARS ago and its nothing like what today's build is or because they want to just complain/whine/another word when they've done so in almost every FF thread.. The OT is going to need to be heavily moderated, that much I'd bet anything on.

People calling Nomura's work on Versus XIII "empty" is breaking my heart. You can call it concepts, unfinished product, amazing prospect, vaporware or whatever.

But empty? Holy shit. Lightning Returns XIII to Gamestop is empty. Geeeezz...

This is a hugeeee diference... massive even. The screenshots are speaking volumes in every single scene.

mUUvZKE.jpg

WK4mg7v.jpg

Stella is confidence and action in every other scene. Luna is empty and dead inside, no matter how you look at it.

Look at the screenshot.
k45gANT.jpg

Anxious in every scene. It's fine. I like variety. But how can you not see the big departure from Stella?

YEP! Luna is dead inside. OMG, she was sitting in there, in that... what was that? a chair? SHE'S DEAD!

TABATA, CANCEL THIS CHARACTER RIGHT NOW!

SPAW

YEP! Luna is dead inside. OMG, she was sitting in there, in that... what was that? a chair? SHE'S DEAD!

TABATA, CANCEL THIS CHARACTER RIGHT NOW!

Is she using the chair as support? Spineless character confirmed!

Jumping on the bandwagon... sorry

glaurung

Quick question: is this the official thread for the Duscae Demo 2.0, or will there be another one?
I suppose a new 2.0 thread will pop up some time tomorrow.

Dunno who's doing it. I also don't know what's new in the updated demo and how to find it.

Oh, I am :p I'm just sorta having fun. I'm looking forward to XV and have no interest in crying over what might have been. The prospect of playing a non Toriyama'd mainline FF for the first time in a decade is pretty nice. ok, SP mainline. I love XIV.

Arkeband

Banned
Is she using the chair as support? Spineless character confirmed!

Jumping on the bandwagon... sorry

You could say we pretty much know everything about Luna.

Sitting
Nodding
Breathing (?)

Dislikes:
Standing

Using this information I've deduced the entire plot of FFXV. Please look forward to it.

TheTux

Whaaa? Since when? It's been a while since a played FF XIV ARR (move recently but no decent internet connection, just enough to thing like neogaf)

I wasn't talking about the XIV launcher which is understandable, I was talking about that horrible FFVII/VIII remake/port launcher.

You could say we pretty much know everything about Luna.

Sitting
Nodding
Breathing (?)

Dislikes:
Standing

Using this information I've deduced the entire plot of FFXV. Please look forward to it.

That's probably how half of the "info" we "know" of FFXV(and Versus) actually came into being. It sure wasn't from Square(if anything from what was hinted, Gamescom might be the first REAL push, as far as REAL info release is concerned).

Again, there is a small part of me that laxes the blame on people and jabs a bit into Square. When you tease something and then leave the majority of the fanbase in the dark, imaginations tend to go wild with speculation, and out of years of hearing the same "theories", some of those "theories" become fact to some people(like the saying, the more you tell yourself something, the more you start to believe it to be true).

Illucio

Banned
He is doing a better job

On the sheer fact that it exists in a tangible form.

It's quite hard to make a big game of this scale with only 12 or less people working on it.
The only reason why it's tangible now is because Square finally put a full team behind the game, and they also wanted Kingdom Hearts 3 to finally be made so they kicked Nomura off XV and put Tabata in place.

This thread is getting ridiculous. I too was dissappointed that Stella was cut, but we're letting it get the best of us. Thread is now devolved into calling Tabata and his team perverts, while glorifying very short trailers, that over the course of five years, repeated similar scenes over and over again.

Nomura had his chance to make Versus, and he failed. Tabata is given the chance to make the best of the situation, make a complete Final Fantasy out of it in reasonable time frame, and is given the satan role because of it. Imagine being Tabata, having to take over a dysfunctional production with no clear vision or goal in sight. Naturally changes would have been made. Tabata isn't Nomura. Which is why SE put him there in the first place. Do we want an actual Final Fantasy out of this or a continued trend of vague trailers with Shakespeare quotes thrown in the middle of it with little sense of coherence?

Am I dissappointed in certain aspects of FFXV? Of course I am. Do I believe that what Nomura was doing was better for the game than what Tabata is doing? I don't. Tabata and his team have done so much progress for the game in just two years. We were given an actual playable demo which people liked. The trailers show promise and progress. From having media black-outs that could last years, we're now given daily updates on the game's development. That, in itself is a luxury for anyone who has been excited for the game since its reveal almost a decade ago.

In hindsight, perhaps the optimal course would've been having Nomura and Tabata being co-directors from the start where one serves as a visionary and the other as a realist.

Again, Nomura only has 12 people or less working on Versus 13. How is that failing? That's simply not getting attention or the support it needed. It was even stated at one point the team shrunk to just 5-7 people.
Case and point, Final Fantasy 12 took 5 years with a full team as opposed to XV that is taking 8+ years because for the first 6-7 years it only had a dozen people. The game is only now reaching completion because there is finally enough staff behind it, it's in no way because Tabata took lead.

Afrocious

I'm kinda late to this, but I have to throw in my 2 cents because it seems like no one is addressing another issue with this character change. There are many of you who believe that this change is completely inconsequential or just plain weird. But there's a whole 'nother dynamic to this that deserves to be addressed. The way we've been going at it is comparing these two characters and our perceived interpretation of their personalities. I think that's skindeep and doesn't really address that heart of the matter. We're on the verge of something very important, yet no one has brought up the actual issue at hand. If I didn't know any better, I would say the average poster in this thread is purposefully tiptoeing around a taboo that seems to hover around FFXV threads like a ghost.

And to be completely honest, I'm thoroughly surprised. After this news, I was sure that it would come up, that we'd finally be able to talk about this. And then, I read this thread, and can only feel dissapointed in the level of discourse. Square Enix has given us an opportunity to tackle the issue in a way fans of this development trouble game haven't since it was first announced. And we're squandering it. We're not living up to the standards that we hold dear. Especially with the revelations from the demo. That should've been the tipping point. The proverbial straw that broke the camel's back. Maybe, after all this time, there are fans who have simply given up. We keep telling ourselves that things will get better. We keep telling ourselves that Legend of Korra was any good after the first season. It was okay. It could have been a lot better. I was dissapointed when they got rid of Amon. What was the point of building him up so much.

This post is pretty hilarious. Reminds me of someone trying to sell me something.

KupoNut

There's also a chance that the few seconds we've seen of Luna was done for PR purposes to make a beauty scene, but not an actual game scene. I'll wait to judge her until after they reveal more (at Gamescom probably)

zennyzz

It's quite hard to make a big game of this scale with only 12 or less people working on it.
The only reason why it's tangible now is because Square finally put a full team behind the game, and they also wanted Kingdom Hearts 3 to finally be made so they kicked Nomura off XV and put Tabata in place.

I know why it's in the place that it currently is. The fact still remains that in terms of what is and what isn't. Tabata's team currently is actualizing a product. The variables outside of it don't a matter beyond what is and what is not. They explain it, they don't change it.

So it's nonsensical to complain about the guy working with what he was given based on the environment. It may have been a poltical reason that he's now the director or an optimization of assets reasoning, but it's silly to grieve that he's trying to bring to fore what nomura's team had laid the ground work for. It's a project SE wanted finished.

I'm pretty damn sure Tabata'd prefer working on his sequel to his game that he actually demo'd

NeoXChaos

XIII sequels and XIV pretty much ate up the available people.

Well why didnt they finish Versus and then pump out XIII sequels? did they not make enough money off of XIII or was the reception and XIV bombing force their hand? Their priorties seem so misplaced. Why work on a FF IXV at all when you had an understaffed Versus you announced in 2006 needing to be worked on?

IXV shouldn't have been a concept until Versus was out the door.

wmlk

Well why didnt they finish Versus and then pump out XIII sequels? did they not make enough money off of XIII or was the reception and XIV bombing force their hand?

They had a ton of FFXIII assets that were reusable for future games, and there was actually a lot of cut content from FFXIII that could have (and presumably has been) used for FFXIII-2 and LR.

FFXIV is essential and the most important revenue stream for SE. That game can end up as the most profitable FF at some point, surpassing FFXI, their last MMO.

VSXIII was lower on the priority list and was further behind than FFXIII sequels and FFXIV. It was less important to SE.

And honestly, announcing all those games at the same time probably comes down to arrogance and an underestimation of their technical staff and management. One mistake led to another, and this is where we are today.

I am sick of people saying 'Nomura failed, Nomura can't ship a game'

If he failed on FFXV, he would have been fired by now. If he wasn't capable of shipping a game as a director, they wouldn't have moved him to ship KH3.

Stop bitching and saying Nomura can't do anything, and instead observe the facts that he actually ships 3-4 games annually.

Thank you.

Well why didnt they finish Versus and then pump out XIII sequels? did they not make enough money off of XIII or was the reception and XIV bombing force their hand? Their priorties seem so misplaced. Why work on a FF IXV at all when you had an understaffed Versus you announced in 2006 needing to be worked on?

What? An MMO is a constant revenue stream. And they royally fucked up 14 and needed to save it. It makes perfect sense why you would divert staff toward that project rather than one director's vanity vaperware.

Nikokuno

MMO games are cash cow, I can understand why financially XIV was 'rebooted'.
For XIII, it's just misplaced pride, the game bombed and they cannot handle it. Also it's the mainline FF flagship game...

Whaaa? Ain't Nomura's fault if the Crystal Tool Engine was a failure, if FF XIV was bad and if FF XIII was a huge disappointment. This guy had no team to work.

NeoXChaos

MMO games are cash cow, I can understand why financially XIV was 'reboot'.
For XIII, it's just misplaced pride, the game bombed and they cannot handle it. Also it's the mainline FF flagship game...

I had more hype for Versus than I ever did for XIII. What was the general sentiment of XIII before it came out? It seems looking back from my perspective people were more excited about then VersusXIII and I wonder if that played a role in the expectations of XIII. Looking at the Stella reactions, people seemed heavily invested in what little they showed of the game over the years than XIII had I guess.

artsi

If he failed on FFXV, he would have been fired by now. If he wasn't capable of shipping a game as a director, they wouldn't have moved him to ship KH3.

Stop bitching and saying Nomura can't do anything, and instead observe the facts that he actually ships 3-4 games annually.

Thank you.

But it's been 9 years, something went wrong. Something went wrong right in the beginning when those trailers were released, they never should have been.

If you wish to analyze how he fares as a director you should look at what he has actually directed, being a designer in many projects doesn't really say how effective he is in overseeing the whole development.

50DXN2X.png

So let's observe. Yeah, some executive might look at this data and come to a conclusion which leads to Nomura being transferred to the KH3 project.

zennyzz

I'm fairly certain that XIII didn't bomb. It was overly resource intensive though, but I'm pretty sure that's a trickle down effect of the fuck up of XII's production mismanagement which in turn lead to XIII's production mismanagement.

Angelcurio

I'm worried about the change in direction of the core story. The original FFVXIII was a going to be a dark FF title, and instead we are getting a roadtrip movie like game. Even though most of the settings and characters are the same, I was more interested about the conflicts of Noctis and Stella Kingdoms, than the adventures of a group of friends that go on a trip.

zennyzz

I'm worried about the change in direction of the core story. The original FFVXIII was a going to be a dark FF title, and instead we are getting a roadtrip movie like game. Even though most of the settings and characters are the same, I was more interested about the conflicts of Noctis and Stella Kingdoms, than the adventures of a group of friends that go on a trip.

The original was also going to be a road trip.

The whole roadtrip adventure was always stated since the Versus days.

Philippo

The war conflict and the road trip were both part of the original title as well as FFXV.
They still haven't shown us a story trailer, so in gameplay only segments is only natural we see more of the roadtrip.

Thank you.

Nomura is valuable. He was smart enough to negotiate some sort of contract that meant his name appeared even on art renders and the title screens of games as a credit, and he and his art style have become synonymous with Final Fantasy and Square Enix. Don't just take it from me - Yoshinori Kitase himself said as much: "Nomura's [art] direction is perfect. That's the kind of visual concept that Final Fantasy should stay with."

What I'm saying is that no matter how badly he fucked up, Square Enix would - and likely did - all they can do in order to hold on to him. He's a figurehead. An important name. An important style, to them. So they've kept him. It's pretty plain that he walked from FF15 before he was forcibly pushed, though, and it's seeming fairly likely from some of the comments made by Tai Yasue in interviews he did around KH2.5's release that he is in charge of KH3 overall, not Nomura. But Nomura is worth keeping around; he can piddle around and contribute art to a variety of projects, but I think it's pretty likely that most of his actual directorial power has been stripped from him as a response to his failures. They'd never fire him, though. That'd be too much of a loss.

It's not like this sort of sidelining would be new for Square anyway - this is what happened to Sakaguchi post-TSW, with them sapping duties and power from him left and right but keeping him around for a few years as a figurehead. They'd trot him on stage at the occasional show, but for that last stretch at Square Sakaguchi wasn't doing nearly as much, the price of his failure. The difference with Sakaguchi was that he was a maverick and a rebel at least by Japanese standards - it's how he found his success (see also: Kojima), and after a bit of time on the leash in that manner he said 'yknow what, fuck it' and left and did his own thing. Nomura is I believe a bit of a diva - as people so hugely talented often are - but doesn't have that streak either. I think he likes Square (despite his 'burning anger' mentioned in the Famitsu interview after leaving/being kicked from FF15) and likes the comfort.

I think his days of directing alone are over, though. Done. I don't think Versus' long development time was entirely down to him - there were other contributing factors including Crystal Tools being a fucking mess and people from all SE Japan teams - including that team - being parachuted into the failures of FF13 and FF14 development to finish & fix them respectively, but it's clear from the meandering development we saw and the lack of focus in what we saw over the years that there were issues with the vision for the game. The buck for that stops with him, and he paid for it in the end.

But it's been 9 years, something went wrong. Something went wrong right in the beginning when those trailers were released, they never should have been.

If you wish to analyze how he fares as a director you should look at what he has actually directed, being a designer in many projects doesn't really say how effective he is in overseeing the whole development.

50DXN2X.png

So let's observe. Yeah, some executive might look at this data and come to a conclusion which leads to Nomura being transferred to the KH3 project.

Yeah in game development, when 'something' has gone wrong it can be anything, it can be multiple things:

-Upper management
-The engine doesn't work
-The team(s) is not properly staffed
-There is not enough budget
-Other projects are priorities within the company

OH HEY, doesn't this sound like a lot like Square Enix in the past 9 years :|

My point is: No one knows what happened, there are no facts that say just and only Nomura is the cause of FFXV's apocalypse . So it's not fair to point fingers just yet and blame one person.

Top Bottom