• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stellar Blade director explains game’s 0.5 second “lag” when doing perfect parries or dodging [day 1 patch fixes the input lag]

Update:

20240425-30131-960x567.jpg

Stellar Blade’s stylish and fast-paced battle mechanics are one of the upcoming title’s biggest attractions, earning it comparisons to acclaimed action titles such as Sekiro and Bayonetta. Players worldwide attested to the quality of Stellar Blade’s combat when the demo dropped on March 29. However, some players have commented that they have experienced what feels like input lag in certain instances, and Shift Up’s Hyung Tae-Kim recently addressed this topic.

Hyung Tae-Kim, the director and producer of Stellar Blade, gave an interview to Japanese video game outlet 4Gamer (published on April 25). Discussing the game’s demo, the interviewer inquires about a delay they felt between button press and activation when performing perfect parries or dodging.

In response, Kim answers: “In Stellar Blade, there is about a 0.5 second lag between the moment you press the button and the moment the skill is visible on-screen. It’s a time lag that can’t be reduced any further. We made it so that the character’s movement does not get triggered immediately upon button press, as we felt this would not fit the game’s style of animation. Thus, we made it so that the skill itself is activated the moment you press the button, but the animation of the movement follows afterwards.”

It seems that what some players identified as input lag was a choice made by the developers in the interest of keeping Stellar Blade’s character animation fluid. Additionally, it seems there is no actual delay between button press and skill activation, as it is only the animation of the skill that lags behind.

On the other hand, Kim seems aware that players could potentially encounter issues due to this choice, mentioning that he will keep an eye on feedback and make improvements if necessary.

Source - Automaton West

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
0.5 seconds delay is ridiculous for a parry. especially for a game designed around it.

sometimes you have to make compromises you dont want to make for the sake of gameplay. this is a game after all. at least the parry command is registered immediately but then it creates a disconnect between player prompts and game feedback.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I guess if you want to give the presentation priority, trying to make the activation trigger before the animation is the best you could hope for.

It's definitely noticeable. I was watching my brother play the demo recently and he couldn't get the parries despite being good at action games. I had to literally tell him to always hit it early because it's slow, then it started working for him.

Movement in general is also slow, but that's more of a design choice. I'm not as into that, but people seem excited.

Something felt off to me. I never like when games seem to have some sort of slow queue to work through and finish animations or some other shit instead of doing what I press right now, abandoning anything I pressed before. Makes it feel like I am shouting orders and someone else is doing the inputs for me which is just indirect, mushy and weird. Fighting games or DmC are certainly great for those who really see through their mechanics, I just get annyoed and I would need proper tutorials that teach me each and every move more in depth than just doing it thrice in a sort of useless training. Make sure I actually understand the timing and correct repsonses through the first hours, and after every new acquired move and not allow me button mash somehow thru it. Pros would not like it, should be optional of course, but some inner monologue telling me what I did wrong and what I am supposed to do and look for would be great. Too fast, too slow, entirely wrong response... games should be able to tell if a player is just doing guesswork and help them get actual skills and also leave them alone when they do well already.

AndrewRyan

Only played through the demo once but the lag was like jumping into cold water. Will give it another try cause the it looks so amazing but hope they can patch it or make it an option.

dezzy8

So it's visual lag, not really input lag? He said the actual skill is activated immediately and only the visuals/animations look like they are lagging?

But still, if you react to visuals you are always going to be late so that's terrible.
Yup that’s what it sounds like.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
at least it's not elden ring. i've been a parry player in every souls game, and even after hundreds of hours in elden ring it still feels like a dice roll. so... could be worse lol.

Madflavor

All of the critics, and youtube content creators like FightingCowboy have all said the combat is great. So I'm not worried about this. I played the demo, I got used to it, and once you get into the flow of combat it feels really good.

midnightAI

You probably just weren't reacting to your character animation then. Theoretically, if you just watch the monster and parry on time the input works. But if you view controls as manipulating the character on screen and seeing the response it can feel sluggish.
Ah, that makes sense why it felt fine to me, but surely that's how everyone plays? Reacting to the monster attacks, why would you be watching the player character animations?

I found this fine in the demo to be honest. Once i'd practiced the combat and parries etc, I got used to the timing. No different to any other game of this nature which takes getting used to.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
There is no need to sync up event processing 1:1 with visual display; Games are mostly smoke and mirrors with what feels right and what looks right often being independent problems to solve.

Its another fallacy that's been deepened over the years by the crude way by DF etc. tests frame-rate and latency almost exclusively based on visual feedback. A methodology that's always been flawed.

MayauMiao

The lag would make sense if there is animation transition during parry. It shouldn't be hard to adjust parry timing.

Like this person did perfectly.

StereoVsn

Ahh, that explains why couldn’t get parry to work in the Demo. I get why the devs did this but I don’t think this is the right choice.

At least put in an option to disable this.

It was obvious from the demo but gaf had to defend the sexy waifu game. It's annoying, especially as a main PC gamer /sekiro fan where input delay is practically nonexistent. I'll wait for it to be adjusted/fixed before playing the game.

midnightAI

It was obvious from the demo but gaf had to defend the sexy waifu game. It's annoying, especially as a main PC gamer /sekiro fan where input delay is practically nonexistent. I'll wait for it to be adjusted/fixed before playing the game.
You do realise that the actual action of the input isnt delayed? the only delay is the character animation that is played after the input. In other words, monster attacks, you press the parry button the parry is executed as expected

You do realise that the actual action of the input isnt delayed? the only delay is the character animation that is played after the input. In other words, monster attacks, you press the parry button the parry is executed as expected

The brain works by looking at the animations. It just felt wrong. Couldnt get used to it. Lies of P also has this shit and it also annoyed me. Sure I got used to it eventually but I played LoP at 150 fps.

Last edited:

midnightAI

The brain works by looking at the animations. It just felt wrong. Couldnt get used to it. Lies of P also has this shit and it also annoyed me. Sure I got used to it eventually but I played LoP at 150 fps.
Fair enough, I'm too busy looking at what the enemy is doing to notice what my character is doing (other than looking at the positioning of my character to avoid attacks etc)

skit_data

Don't know if its my brain suffering from some kind of latency but I found Stellar Blades parry timing better than similar games parry timing. Maybe I have a chronic 0.5s delay on all my sensor-motor functions from all pot smoking in my younger days.

Last edited:

00_Zer0

0.5 seconds delay is ridiculous for a parry. especially for a game designed around it.

sometimes you have to make compromises you don't want to make for the sake of gameplay. this is a game after all. at least the parry command is registered immediately but then it creates a disconnect between player prompts and game feedback.
Hopefully, he gets bombarded by requests to change it, that way PS5 gamers can be happy, then by the time the game inevitably makes it's way on PC it will be fixed. I'll be buying the future PC version so if it doesn't get fixed we will see what modders can do to fix it.

Last edited:

Generic

So the issue is that isn't possible to cancel the parry animation?

Fredrik

500ms is crazy but if it’s instantly registered they can just remove some frames, it’s worse if it’s input latency.

This definitely explains why the demo felt off to me. Playing it just felt unpleasant and I didn't finish it. I hope the game sells well, I suppose, but it's not for me.

Top Bottom