• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stellar Blade Twitter account: [The game] offers the same uncensored version in all countries, including the Japanese version.

cormack12

Gold Member
Tongue Goat GIF

nial

Gold Member
Keep in mind that Japan is extremely infamous for censoring gore content. I think they're going both ways this time around, no way in hell they aren't aware of the current culture wars going on.

This looks to be more about the Japanese version as dismemberment and/or decapitation can usually lead to a CERO Z rating and they would like to avoid that if they could settle for CERO D instead (which they did). As an example, RE8 in Japan has two versions, a CERO D version, which is basically the M rating, and CERO Z, which is similar to "Adults Only" version, with all the gore intact.

aMh6o7e.png

Machine Translation:
In Japan, ``Resident Evil Village'' (CERO: D version), which is aimed at people over 17 years old, and ``Resident Evil Village Z Version'' (CERO: Z version), which is only aimed at people over 18 years old, will be released. There is no difference in the basic game content from the overseas version.

However, there are some differences in the wording as the content complies with the regulations of each destination's rating organization.

The main differences are as follows.

(CERO: Common to D and Z versions)
- There is no head loss expression in the Japanese domestic version.
-The Japanese domestic version has less bleeding compared to the overseas version.

The Japanese domestic version cannot contain expressions that violate the prohibited expressions stipulated by CERO, even if it is classified as Z.
Some of the expressions included in the overseas version fall under CERO's prohibited expressions, so we have made changes.

Additionally, ``Resident Evil Village'' (CERO: D version) has even less violent expressions than ``Resident Evil Village Z Version'' (CERO: Z version).

Even Rise of the Ronin has two differently rated versions in Japan:

aYH98nl.png

Last edited:

Aenima

This looks to be more about the Japanese version as dismemberment and/or decapitation can usually lead to a CERO Z rating and they would like to avoid that if they could settle for CERO D instead (which they did). As an example, RE8 in Japan has two versions, a CERO D version, which is basically the M rating, and CERO Z, which is similar to "Adults Only" version, with all the gore intact.

aMh6o7e.png

Machine Translation:

aYH98nl.png
Yes, the tweet is more about the gore that will be in all versions of the game. The image pixelated in the tweet is the same you posted of Tacky arm being cut off. Its just good to know Shift Up is not willing to bend the knee to any cencorship.

Last edited:
As a tangent the only region where spicy Adult Only games on console nowadays have a shot at not getting censored is in Europe and specifically on the Switch. :p

I can easily find several Switch games that have full nude scenes on various retailers like Amazon, and even at my local online video game store. ;)

iXvmtLl.png

YgEO1Xp.png

They also got you covered if you're more into horny femboy games :p

loPQOWT.png

Last edited:

Madonis

Well, it's not like there's much to censor other than the character's outfit. If they're fine with that, then everything else should work out.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Well, it's not like there's much to censor other than the character's outfit. If they're fine with that, then everything else should work out.
They are mostly talking about gore and dismemberment, Japan is much more sensitive toward violence more than sex.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
did you play the demo ff16 this is not.
Playing the demo the "heavy" feeling of the character reminds me of Astral Chain. That game was directed by Taura the lead combat designer behind Nier Automata. But Unlike Nier in Astral Chain your character feels much heavier, in fact there is no actual jump button, you have to use your Legion to go air borne.

I LOVED Astral Chain, that game has one of the most unique combat system in action game.

Last edited:

Mistake

aMh6o7e.png

Machine Translation:

aYH98nl.png
That's quite odd how cero z still prohibits stuff. I just looked up ESRB ratings and realized the US actually has something similar, M for 17, AO for 18. But I don't think I've ever seen an AO before

ranmafan

That's quite odd how cero z still prohibits stuff. I just looked up ESRB ratings and realized the US actually has something similar, M for 17, AO for 18. But I don't think I've ever seen an AO before
CERO is quite draconian when it comes to its rules on certain things, especially decapitation. It’s simply a flat out no no matter what the rating is. Z rating is so useless cause of this and many games just don’t get released here cause of it. Which is why I always go for the western version of games like this. And honestly even with the tweet saying it’s uncensored, I’m still cautious about it until it releases and we get more confirmation, just from past experiences. But hearing from the developers that it’s uncensored it’s great news for us in Japan.

WitchHunter

Banned
Looked pretty awesome even from the initial reveal as project eve to me. More actiony than soulsy. Kinda like a FF16 or dmc
After the demo I don't want any more of it. It's a copypaste game, walks the already beaten path. Shows nothing new, has no photo mode. I don't care about tits and asses either, since they only show the skin, but can't package it so it becomes elegant and salacious, like an Andrew Blake movie. Fuck, I don't waste my time on it.

Keep in mind that Japan is extremely infamous for censoring gore content. I think they're going both ways this time around, no way in hell they aren't aware of the current culture wars going on.
Yep, Harada once mentioned that his favorite game was Payday 2 because it is a game he wouldn't be able to make in Japan. Because it is a "Bank Robbery Simulator".

Japan and USA are opposites in what they censor. Sexuality is censored in America while Violence is censored in Japan.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

aMh6o7e.png

Machine Translation:

aYH98nl.png

Ding ding ding.

If anyone follows the RE / Biohazard games, this is fairly common. RE games often get two different releases in Japan, Cero Z and Cero D.

AO only rating is a kiss of death in the west / US. None of the 3 console makers usually allow that here, most retailers will refuse to stock it (this was a big risk for GTA when Hot Coffee was first discovered, the games rating was being threatened to be changed to AO which would mean none of the big retailers would stock it).

Last edited:

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Ding ding ding.

If anyone follows the RE / Biohazard games, this is fairly common. RE games often get two different releases in Japan, Cero Z and Cero D.

AO only rating is a kiss of death in the west / US. None of the 3 console makers usually allow that here, most retailers will refuse to stock it (this was a big risk for GTA when Hot Coffee was first discovered, the games rating was being threatened to be changed to AO which would mean none of the big retailers would stock it).

With how big digital is now would it matter?

Like if I’ve been playing neutered versions of resident evil my whole life I feel cheated.

Feel like I need to rewatch the cero z versions on YT now to see what the fuss is all about.

Did NG1&2 have cero z versions? I was in playing NG sigma 2 this weekend and there was a cut scene where ryu slashes a were wolf but it just falls over. Made me go “ok wtf happens in OG NG2” and I looked it up on YT. He cuts it in half and you see the insides on each half with a blood splatter. Soooo sick.

I hate the only way to play NG2 is own a 360, or a newer Xbox for backwards compatibility, or emulation.

I’d instantly buy a NG2 and black for PC or PS5. Sigmas suck ass.

Top Bottom