• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stellar Blade demo has over 690,000 daily players. FFVII Rebirth demo reached 380,000.

Now this is a comparison i wasn't expecting...but it either shows how Stellar Blade might be much bigger than expected or that Rebirth was smaller than expected.

Either way, Sony must be happy with this.

At least in my country Stellar Blade is the most preordered game right now, surpassing Destiny 2 Final Shape and Sea of Thieves.

Hrk69

al pacino great ass GIF

nial

Gold Member
Lots of people on GAF who posted in this thread low balled its sales potential, btw.

I was conservative with ~1M, but man, even at that point 250K felt so dumb to choose. :messenger_grinning_sweat:

I was conservative with ~1M, but man, even at that point 250K felt so dumb to choose. :messenger_grinning_sweat:
Tbh, I voted 2M based on the initial hype with the pre-orders, etc. And since then it received much more attention due to all the culture war stuff, similar to what happened with Hogwarts Legacy in a way. It's funny to go back to the thread and look at the predictions some of the people posted there. :p

In principle an interesting approach, but would be much much much more meaningful if not done by just two games, giving a quite naive prediction.
How big is that prediction span of 251% when looked at other games?

Most people probably know FF and what they will get and purposely don't want to play it, because they were already locked in on buying or generally have no interest in FF, while Stellar Blade is a new IP and has quite some hype, so checking it out yourself was maybe important for more people than usual?

Go_Ly_Dow

Just a thought, but Rebirth was a known entity for those that had played Remake. It didn't need a demo in that sense. I skipped the demo and I know many others did who were sold on it as it was only 2 weeks from release.

Stellar Blade is an unknown entity, so I got the demo to see what it was about and it sold me on the full game (although will be playing on Easy mode like a wimp). :messenger_sunglasses:

So I'm not expecting this to sell crazy amounts straight away just because of demo actvitiy given that logic, but I expect it to do well.

It could also become another NieR Automata which has now sold like 9mil copies or something crazy like that because it became a cult classic.

Last edited:

Metnut

It’s possible for both Stellar Blade and Rebirth to be successful. FF doesn’t need to sell at 1990s levels to be successful.

Madflavor

I want nothing but the best for this game both critically and commercially, but I think people should start tempering their expectations in terms of how big of a release this is going to be. It's probably going to land somewhere between 1-2 million in it's first 30 days, which even if it did just 1 million, that's still great for a game like this.

I guess it's time to realize that Final Fantasy in general doesn't have the same type of pull as it once had given it's pedigree/heritage. or XIII and XV gave too big of a blow to the franchise reputation.

It's sad because XVI, while not perfect, is a great return to form for the mainline entries and VII Remake/Rebirth are basically perfect games for me.

It's painful to see a almost-40-year-old franchise not being on the #1 spot or on everybody's lips anymore.

rm082e

I guess it's time to realize that Final Fantasy in general doesn't have the same type of pull as it once had given it's pedigree/heritage. or XIII and XV gave too big of a blow to the franchise reputation.

It's both. I loved the SNES and PS1 days of FF. I also liked FFX more than most people I know. But ever since 12, I feel like they've just been on a downward slide. I was absolutely caught up in the FF7 announcement hype, but the direction they choose with building a brand new game from scratch and trying to stretch it out across 3 full games and a decade was a big nope for me. I just wanted the original game with prettied-up graphics - like the Resident Evil Remake. I still haven't played the FF7 remake even though Sony gave it to me for free at the beginning of the pandemic.

I did buy FF16, started it, but really wasn't grabbed by what I played so far. I feel an obligation to play it more than any excitement.

It's sad because XVI, while not perfect, is a great return to form for the mainline entries and VII Remake/Rebirth are basically perfect games for me.

It's painful to see a almost-40-year-old franchise not being on the #1 spot or on everybody's lips anymore.

It just feels like Square is milking the shit out of FF with all the spin-offs, sequels, etc. and the quality has gone downhill. We're getting a lot more FF, but I'd rather have less and better quality.

Madflavor

It just feels like Square is milking the shit out of FF with all the spin-offs, sequels, etc. and the quality has gone downhill. We're getting a lot more FF, but I'd rather have less and better quality.

Final Fantasy is in a better place now, quality-wise, than it was in 2007 - 2018, but it's just not being reflected in sales. From 2019 to Present Day we've gotten FFVII: Remake, Shadowbringers, Endwalker, FFXVI and FFVII: Rebirth. While not everyone loves these games, they were all much better received than XIII, XIV 1.0 and XV.

Synless

It's both. I loved the SNES and PS1 days of FF. I also liked FFX more than most people I know. But ever since 12, I feel like they've just been on a downward slide. I was absolutely caught up in the FF7 announcement hype, but the direction they choose with building a brand new game from scratch and trying to stretch it out across 3 full games and a decade was a big nope for me. I just wanted the original game with prettied-up graphics - like the Resident Evil Remake. I still haven't played the FF7 remake even though Sony gave it to me for free at the beginning of the pandemic.

I did buy FF16, started it, but really wasn't grabbed by what I played so far. I feel an obligation to play it more than any excitement.

Quality is certainly not an issue here. They are anything but low quality.

SkylineRKR

Stellar Blade gains a lot of traction because its being discussed and brought up a lot. Haters continously promote it.

Add the fact that the demo is actually good, and shows just the right amount of mechanics, action and stuff and you basically have a winner. This game is going to do well.

StereoVsn

Final Fantasy is in a better place now, quality-wise, than it was in 2007 - 2018, but it's just not being reflected in sales. From 2019 to Present Day we've gotten FFVII: Remake, Shadowbringers, Endwalker, FFXVI and FFVII: Rebirth. While not everyone loves these games, they were all much better received than XIII, XIV 1.0 and XV.
Personally I loved Remake and Rebirth. Remake was good as a start especially with PS4 limitations and Rebirth is just an amazing game. It’s a damn shame it’s not selling more.

FFXVI to me was meh. No side content, DMC lite action, just had no desire to play that game. Heck, XV wasn’t as bad once it all got patched (and you saw the anime episodes and maybe fast forwarded through the movie).

rm082e

I'm still on the fence about buying Stellar Blade. I'd like to see what people think once they play the full game. The demo was a weird mix of interesting and sort of empty to me. I'm still not sure if I liked it or not, but I think I did...

Last edited:

Regarding FF7 Remake project and wanting a simpler treatment like RE:R got, I totally get it for real but while I really don't know your gaming/story tastes at all, if the OG FF7 had any sort of impact on you then I definitely think that you're missing out for not playing them. I understand all the criticism Remake got and I can see their validity from my rose-tinted glasses but they really are awesome....Rebirth much more so than Remake. In fact, I like Rebirth so much that it feels like I'm hit with post-game depression because I'm sad that I can't relive this for the first time again...and that I have to wait another 4 years for its conclusion.

As for FF16, I think that for what they did well, the highs were incredibly high but for what they did bad, the lows are just as low. I still like it though but like 7.5-8ish / 10

Lots of people on GAF who posted in this thread low balled its sales potential, btw.

I called 10M in one of those threads and now I'm thinking that may be a conservative number. This game is gonna sell like hot cakes.

Edit: Must have been my imagination but yeah, 10M easy imo.

Last edited:

TheCed

Really happy for Stellar blade

I'll play both, I want both titles to be a success.

Rebirth is an amazing game and should be experienced by more people.

rm082e

Regarding FF7 Remake project and wanting a simpler treatment like RE:R got, I totally get it for real but while I really don't know your gaming/story tastes at all, if the OG FF7 had any sort of impact on you then I definitely think that you're missing out for not playing them. I understand all the criticism Remake got and I can see their validity from my rose-tinted glasses but they really are awesome....Rebirth much more so than Remake. In fact, I like Rebirth so much that it feels like I'm hit with post-game depression because I'm sad that I can't relive this for the first time again...and that I have to wait another 4 years for its conclusion.

My biggest let-downs were how long it took them to get the first game out, and hearing that they were going to turn it into a trilogy instead of a single game. I felt like if anything, they could have simplified and clarified the story of FF7 down a bit and made a tighter single game - not made it longer and added more fluff. I don't like the idea of being "on the hook" for a decade.

Not that it's a direct comparison, but I was hoping for something like the 2018 Secret of Mana remake in terms of visual design. Something they could get out within a year or so that would have delivered that nostalgia punch and honored the gameplay of FF7.

I'm glad to see people liked what they put out. I wouldn't want to take that away from anyone. It just wasn't what I wanted. Maybe I'll get back and play it eventually and I'll feel differently.

As for FF16, I think that for what they did well, the highs were incredibly high but for what they did bad, the lows are just as low. I still like it though but like 7.5-8ish / 10

I need to play more of it. I only got a few hours in where I was traveling with Cid.

Top Bottom