• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stellaris |OT| Imperium Universalis

Maledict

Everything goes through shields, it's just that different weapons have different strengths versus them. Energy weapons destroy armour brilliantly for example, but do less damage to shields. Kinetic weapons don't have a weakness at all, but nether do they have the big bonuses energy weapons do either. If in doubt, just strap your highest level kinetic weapon to every ship - replace all the missile stations with kinetic weapons would be my advice.

AxeMan

Everything goes through shields, it's just that different weapons have different strengths versus them. Energy weapons destroy armour brilliantly for example, but do less damage to shields. Kinetic weapons don't have a weakness at all, but nether do they have the big bonuses energy weapons do either. If in doubt, just strap your highest level kinetic weapon to every ship - replace all the missile stations with kinetic weapons would be my advice.

Cheers - these are my weapons available
I also have Rail Gun III available - the picture just doesn't show it at the bottom

vAliP9Y.png

Edit - I've just checked my fleet and all my ships are packing the Railgun III in all slots. It didn't make a difference with my 2.5k fleet against their 2.5k fleet. I guess I need shields

Maledict

Shields really do help, the extra hitpoint buffer makes a massive difference.

I would say that fleet combat is very complicated with stuff going on under the hood that we dont really understand that well. If your not having any luck with those weapons, it might be worth retooling completely to missiles as they don't have any point defense and seeing how it goes. Sometimes they can be really OP and sometimes really weak, but worth a shot...

I dunno if I would advice Hive Mind for your first time through. They are not necessarily more difficult to play then other races but they lock you out of core features of the game which turn Stellaris from this grand narrative sim about a space empire and more into an economic simulator. Which is cool if you've got experience with Stellaris but for your first time it might make the game feel a little cold and feature lacking.

FINE. I switched to the Tzynn Empire for a more traditional experience. The problem is I'm not sure on my research and production priorities so I'm just waiting to find out that the enemy far outstrips my empire in capabilities.

Tacitus_

Edit - I've just checked my fleet and all my ships are packing the Railgun III in all slots. It didn't make a difference with my 2.5k fleet against their 2.5k fleet. I guess I need shields

Railguns are the best option there and shields help a lot in the early game vs energy weapons. But you also have to consider the fleet makeup and using the correct weapon mounts.

A Stellaris hotfix patch is now live. 58 MB.

Hi all,

Banks/Utopia has been out for a few days now and we've been busily absorbing your feedback on it. We pushed an opt-in beta version last Friday, and are now pleased to release the finished 1.5.1 patch to all users. This addresses numerous stability and gameplay issues, prioritizing safe fixes so we could get it out to you quickly. The game is in constant development and you may count on more improvements in the future.

##############################################################
##########################HOTFIX 1.5.1##########################
##############################################################

###################
Bugfix
###################
* Fixed a couple rare crashes
* Fixed Server ID not being auto-filled when joining a multiplayer game
* Ironman now saves properly when exiting to main menu
* Ironman games now properly show an icon to mark them as ironman
* Fixed a bug where a hotjoining player without the Utopia DLC could not pick countries that used Utopia features
* Fixed a bug that was causing nerve stapled pops to never be enslaved
* Fixed Philosopher King civic not applying to your starting ruler
* Fixed AI weights for Megastructures
* Fixed: Tooltips for sectors were in wrong order
* Megastructures can no longer be built around planets/stars with Anomalies
* Fixed improper reference to game mechanic (pops) in event texts
* Fixed an issue with movement arrows acting strange when lots of orders had been queued
* Hive Mind will now stop processing pops of other species when they're gene-modded to gain the Hive Mind trait
* Fixed randomized species sometimes being generated with the Uplifted trait
* Players can no longer reform governments to have invalid civics
* Pop faction promotion/suppression modifiers are now removed when the faction is destroyed
* Fixed out-of-sync where killed ships had their movement updated
* Infested planets no longer destroyed
* Fixed issue preventing multiple pops migrating to a planet at the same time
* Fixed missing text for the news feed in the launcher
* Fixed Chemical Bliss living standard accidentally requiring the Utopia expansion
* Fixed bug where robotic species could not be picked to play when hotjoining a multiplayer game
* Fixed a bug where timed modifiers on factions would never update
* Fixed sector tooltip displaying "Planning to construct none" for spaceport constructions.
* Texture optimization for megastructures
* Synthetic rebel leaders are now properly assigned names
* Fixed game getting stuck after game over, continuing in observer mode

###################
Interface
###################
* Fixed overflow bug causing ethic attraction to show wrong values
* Fixed faction demand displaying wrong tooltip
* Fixed missing species class-related descriptors for Robots
* Adjusted AI Citizen Rights tooltip
* Added some missing/broken texts
* Added missing modifier and tech icons

###################
AI
###################
* Fixed bug where AI cancelled fleet order to attack hostiles within borders

###################
Modding
###################
* on_modification_complete is executed after changing the species of all affected pops and after updating the empire's founder species (if applicable). Fix FROM (species) scope of that event not working.
* Fixed an issue where a set_citizenship_type effect missing the country reference
* Fixed an issue where you were not able to override specific defines in the common/defines files

###################
Performance
###################
* Fixed a memory leak with potential pop factions

Lister

Banned
The main UI thing bothering me right now is an issue with the Unity/Assention Perks UI. I don't know if it's the combination of font scaling + 21:9 monitor, but the mouseover doesn't register correctly, and I can't hover over traditions to the right of a tree that I haven't selected yet. So I have to basically go in blind, unable to read the description of the tradiotions/perks before taking adopting the tree.

Uzzy

Welp, I hoped the new hotfix would fix the crash to desktop bug that I'm suffering from, but it hasn't. The game's crashing anytime anyone declares war, which is kinda awkward. I've done a clean reinstall, switched off all mods, the works.

Anyone else suffered from this bug?

The main UI thing bothering me right now is an issue with the Unity/Assention Perks UI. I don't know if it's the combination of font scaling + 21:9 monitor, but the mouseover doesn't register correctly, and I can't hover over traditions to the right of a tree that I haven't selected yet. So I have to basically go in blind, unable to read the description of the tradiotions/perks before taking adopting the tree.

On my Surface Book (3000x2000) I get the same problem in HoI4 where if I mouse over things. Some work, others just don't display. It's like the tooltip mouseover code isn't built to scale properly at unusual aspect ratios.

So I bought this on sale, but I struggle to understand the most basic mechanics. I colonise three planets, but hit my limit and I'm forces to expand with frontier outposts that seem to have negative effects. I'm just wondering what are the best ways to expand if the amount of colonised planets are so low.

Walshicus

So I bought this on sale, but I struggle to understand the most basic mechanics. I colonise three planets, but hit my limit and I'm forces to expand with frontier outposts that seem to have negative effects. I'm just wondering what are the best ways to expand if the amount of colonised planets are so low.

Why aren't you using sectors?

Maybe I missed it in the tutorial, but I guess it wasn't brought up. Any good beginners guides?

Not sure, but basically find the sectors screen (it's in the drop down menu near the top left" and find the button that lets you create new sector. THen you will assign planets to the sector. You can expand sectors to be larger after you create them.

This means the AI has control over the things in those sectors, but you get partial benefit from them. They are quasi-autonomous regions in your empire. You can tax them more or less, and you can give them resources to help speed development. You also set guidelines like "focus on energy", "balanced focus", "research focus".

Maledict

Do sectors actually spend resources to upgrade their buildings now? That was always the problem with them from my end, you basically hand to hand over a completed planet with everything upgraded as the AI would never improve anything.

So the new dev diary revealed that Stellaris is getting a new lead designer, with the previous one stepping down (or rather, up):
Stellaris Dev Diary #68 - Introductions and Farewells

Basically Rikard Åslund (@Zoft) is moving up to Project Lead Manager, and a new fellow hired specifically for Stellaris, Jamie (Jamor), will be taking over.

Jamor has this to say:
Hi everyone! I'm Jamie and I'll be taking over as the new project lead on Stellaris. I'm a huge history nerd and a longtime fan of Paradox games, so when it came time to move forward with my career, it was a natural fit to apply at PDS. A half-year odyssey then ensued, including such highlights as watching Mad Max inside a metal tube hurtling through the night sky over Greenland, enduring the abject horror of plugging my Canadian computer in to a European wall socket, and standing in who knows how many lines waiting to fill in Swedish tax documents. Finally, at long last, I'm here in beautiful, historic Stockholm working for my favourite company in the world. I feel so thrilled and honoured by this opportunity.
One of my first complete memories as a child was seeing Return of the Jedi in theatre. It was 1983 and I was four years old. I didn't really understand much of the plot, but even then my impressionable young mind knew that something magical and desperately important was happening. A larger than life, heroic struggle of primal forces clashing for nothing less than the fate of the galaxy, brimming with fascinating characters and dramatic events. It set me on a lifelong path of always looking upwards, outwards, towards those great adventures whether they reside in our own history, or the limitless realm of our imaginations. It was a childhood spent happily ensconced in the library reading about Spitfires and the One Ring, never content with the ordinary. Video games helped to take me on these incredible mental journeys, and so when it came time to choose a career, it was the logical place for me to be. To this day I still have to explain to friends and family members that yes, software project management is in fact a real job and I do actually have to work; but it sure doesn't hurt to love what you do.

Stellaris is a young, exciting project that has really broken new ground for this studio: with an attractive full 3D visual presentation allied with the classic Paradox strategic depth, we are really working hard to raise the bar in every way. Paradox Development Studios has a legendary commitment to improving and expanding their titles for much longer than the industry standard, and our plan is to keep Stellaris fresh and exciting for our players for years to come. Our loyal fans (I count myself as one) and our vibrant modding community deserve a huge amount of credit for the success we've had, and will continue to build upon.

I want you all to know how humbled I am to have this opportunity to lead the next step of the game's evolution, and give you my personal guarantee that as a fan and a gamer first, I'll always strive to make something I myself would love to play. In doing that, I hope you all will love it too.

The universe is vast, and we've only charted a tiny corner of it. Let's go see some stars.

Also, wow, Stellaris has come a long way. (beta(?) images from the dev diary)
Looking forward to their plans for the future.

What's the verdict on Utopia?

Personally I'd set it firmly in the "wait for a sale" category. The added Utopia specific features don't come into effect until far in the mid/late game and there are paths that are certainly not as fleshed out as others. The requirements for specific (and apparently very rare) techs makes it hard to specialize into building dyson spheres or ring worlds or science nexus' early on and the factions haven't done much to influence the ways I approach each individual empire I've played.

My first empire got kind of borked. I didn't realize that I didn't have to build frontier outposts everywhere so it was a massive drain on my resources (running out of energy, out of influence, complete economic mismanagement) but I wasn't sure how to section off some of the outposts without stranding areas of my empire (not sure what the effect of this is either) so I started over with the spiritualist Avian empire and it's going so much better.

Purkake4

Banned
Personally I'd set it firmly in the "wait for a sale" category. The added Utopia specific features don't come into effect until far in the mid/late game and there are paths that are certainly not as fleshed out as others. The requirements for specific (and apparently very rare) techs makes it hard to specialize into building dyson spheres or ring worlds or science nexus' early on and the factions haven't done much to influence the ways I approach each individual empire I've played.
Yup, it's a nice add on, but doesn't fix the fundamental problems with the gameplay like diplomacy, combat, trade.

Mugsy

My first empire got kind of borked. I didn't realize that I didn't have to build frontier outposts everywhere so it was a massive drain on my resources (running out of energy, out of influence, complete economic mismanagement) but I wasn't sure how to section off some of the outposts without stranding areas of my empire (not sure what the effect of this is either) so I started over with the spiritualist Avian empire and it's going so much better.

Everyone messes up their first empire. It is like a rite of passage to mess up in every way possible the first time through so you get it right with the second game.

Gattsu25

Banned
Hmm. I seem to have a weird issue.

I'm spinning up the game for the first time since the expansion and the game seems to only be accepting input from my controller instead of my mouse/keyboard for camera controls. I can't even click on the icon in unit/planet panels to snap the view...only the left analog stick controls seem to do anything.

So, how can I permanently disable the gamepad in the game?

Edit: The problem seems to have fixed itself...not the best resolution, I know :(

bjaelke

Worthy addition for sure. Exactly how much mechanical depth it adds is gonna be dependent on your playstyle.

That's a shame really. Wanted to revisit it over the Easter. Been following most of the dev diaries leading up to the release, but was hoping for more diplomacy.

Steel

Banned
Hmm. I seem to have a weird issue.

I'm spinning up the game for the first time since the expansion and the game seems to only be accepting input from my controller instead of my mouse/keyboard for camera controls. I can't even click on the icon in unit/planet panels to snap the view...only the left analog stick controls seem to do anything.

So, how can I permanently disable the gamepad in the game?

Edit: The problem seems to have fixed itself...not the best resolution, I know :(

I didn't even know that gamepads functioned in stellaris. How would that even work?

I'm serious, because if I could play Stellaris on my Nvidia shield, I would do that.

jtb

Banned
Stupid question.

What's the best way to manage these insane research penalties for expansion?

Third playthrough, I decided I was going to be a lot more conservative in my expansion - sticking to maxing out development of core planets. But now that I've completely maxed out like 10 planets, should I continue expanding? Or will that increasingly make research more onerous for me?

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
A habitat with 90% research should be enough to overcome the penalty at that amount of planets, but I haven't completely run the maths. Though I think you're screwed unity wise without the pacifist farm or other options.

Everyone messes up their first empire. It is like a rite of passage to mess up in every way possible the first time through so you get it right with the second game.

That seems accurate. My second empire is going rather well. I should have set my game to use hyperspace lanes as the FTL because there's only one lane in and out of my empire's central, most developed area. It's a giant spiral of lanes which makes it a real pain to get in and out of the main production/repair area but it would have been huge for defense. I could have made one chokepoint filled with defenses and safely sent my fleet out on sorties. Now people can just warp into my shit and i have to go all the way around to get at them.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I think this expansion did it for me, or at least it did enough that I'm onboard now. I bounced pretty hard off of this game for two reasons; feeling like there weren't enough decisions for me to actually make, and feeling like the game was too timid about throwing real wrenches in my plans.

I grabbed Utopia after seeing some streams and it does definitely address the first of those two things: both the demands of the factions and the tradition system provide me with a lot more plates to keep spinning in a way that engages me a lot more, to the point where the game is now on par, for me, with a solid 4X like a good Civ game

But I still want it to be pushed further. I've really fallen off 4X in general because I've realized that these days I'm far less interested in building strategic engines and running them than I am in the sort of emergent, historical storytelling, and that's where I want this game to really go next. Throw big things at me that screw up all of my plans and force me to scramble to try and keep my empire running, or that force me to change how I run the empire (that aren't just wars).

The faction stuff, especially combined with the migration stuff and the rights of different species and all of that is tremendously promising if they can blow it up more so that it really feels historical, and not just like a set of buffs and debuffs I'm trying to manage. Or, to put it another way, give me consequences that aren't just economic depression.

Oh and also I'd like it if this game could solve the victory condition problem but like...no 4X has managed that, so I'm not holding out too much hope

Maledict

That seems accurate. My second empire is going rather well. I should have set my game to use hyperspace lanes as the FTL because there's only one lane in and out of my empire's central, most developed area. It's a giant spiral of lanes which makes it a real pain to get in and out of the main production/repair area but it would have been huge for defense. I could have made one chokepoint filled with defenses and safely sent my fleet out on sorties. Now people can just warp into my shit and i have to go all the way around to get at them.

My strongest, strongest advice would be to set your games to only have one form of travel. I think hyperlanes are the best, because it builds a good storyline and adds geography to the game. Even the designers have admitted that it shouldn't have 3 different travel mechanics - it creates too much asymetry, and the AI is completely unable to deal with that,

Welp, I hoped the new hotfix would fix the crash to desktop bug that I'm suffering from, but it hasn't. The game's crashing anytime anyone declares war, which is kinda awkward. I've done a clean reinstall, switched off all mods, the works.

Anyone else suffered from this bug?

Yup, it's super fucking me up right now! Reinstalled twice, moved Steam install folder to both an HDD and an SSD, I don't have any mods installed and this is my first game with this new patch installed. It's really shitting me up.

mcz117chief

Do sectors actually spend resources to upgrade their buildings now? That was always the problem with them from my end, you basically hand to hand over a completed planet with everything upgraded as the AI would never improve anything.

They actually work like maniacs now. If you give them enough resources they will upgrade and build everything, including space stations with modules, battle stations and mining stations/research outposts. You create a large new sector after a war and throw 10k crystals at it and they will disappear almost instantly.

My first run was fine. I was watching the live streams a lot so I immediately knew how to play the game when I got it.

Besides, the game is rather basic, there isn't much you can screw up. Get tech, build ships, colonise, fight/diplomacy, repeat. It's not like Hearts of Iron where you can completely destroy yourself by picking the wrong tech to research. Stellaris is like Knights of Honor, which is just super simplified Crusader Kings. Knights of Honor is amazing though, I must have played it for hundreds of hours back in the days.

Kumquat

They actually work like maniacs now. If you give them enough resources they will upgrade and build everything, including space stations with modules, battle stations and mining stations/research outposts. You create a large new sector after a war and throw 10k crystals at it and they will disappear almost instantly.

My first run was fine. I was watching the live streams a lot so I immediately knew how to play the game when I got it.

Besides, the game is rather basic, there isn't much you can screw up. Get tech, build ships, colonise, fight/diplomacy, repeat. It's not like Hearts of Iron where you can completely destroy yourself by picking the wrong tech to research. Stellaris is like Knights of Honor, which is just super simplified Crusader Kings. Knights of Honor is amazing though, I must have played it for hundreds of hours back in the days.

Easiest way to welp in Stelaris is to not realize those frontier outposts require upkeep. That's what got me my first play through.

mcz117chief

Easiest way to welp in Stelaris is to not realize those frontier outposts require upkeep. That's what got me my first play through.

I didn't know about that either but when I built my first one I noticed my unity gain went down so I checked and there it said "-1 frontier outpost".

Uzzy

Yup, it's super fucking me up right now! Reinstalled twice, moved Steam install folder to both an HDD and an SSD, I don't have any mods installed and this is my first game with this new patch installed. It's really shitting me up.

I managed to fix it today. Deleted everything, both the game folder and the folder in documents, and reinstalled. That solved the problem.

NJDEN

How fast should my empire be expanding relative to my growth in science. My traditional method of thinking (manifest destiny) usually results in a massive empire built from several planet types and if any primitive aliens are found they are usually invaded and incorporated in a textbook fashion. Unfortunately this method leaves me with something akin to the Soviet Union where my territory & military are massive (which deters most), but my science is so far behind that if one of my fleets and an enemy fleet of relative combat strength engage it usually results in decimation for my forces.

What's the best mix of expansion and science? I redesigned my empire to be as tech friendly as possible and focused on researching the labs, and any science improvements. I always build a research lab on a tile that offers research, as well as build the research stations where I can. I typically have at least one research agreement if not more at any given time. I even ran a match where I expanded "tastefully" and I still found myself 5-15 technologies behind other states.

I'm kind of suspicious that the governors accumulate massive amounts of wealth and simply hold it in reserve... typically reaching the maximum holding limit without spending it on improving administered planets... Should I be directly managing more worlds and building the science labs myself, or just set an entire sector to science focus?

I started a game in 1.5 a few days back, and there was nothing on the map and it was all vaguely gray, like it was super zoomed in or something, and I couldn't move the camera around or do anything. Rolled back to 1.4.1 and it's been working fine, but I don't see anything about this issue in the hotfix notes, so I don't want to try updating again.

Watcher

I put about 40 hours in this game in one week and now im super burned out. There just isn't much to "do" after a certain point

Lister

Banned
I put about 40 hours in this game in one week and now im super burned out. There just isn't much to "do" after a certain point

There is a lull somewhere late mid game for sure. That's where things like political incidents and other such events should start to fire in order to drive both internal and external conflict and make the time between the mid game and the big galactic threat more interesting.

Steel

Banned
I really like the additions this patch/expansion add. There's a lot to add but this really fills in a lot of missing gaps. And the refugees thing is awesome, having refugees come in that avoided slaughter at the hands of my advanced start hive minded zerg neighbors really put the fear in me.

Unicorn

Oh and also I'd like it if this game could solve the victory condition problem but like...no 4X has managed that, so I'm not holding out too much hope

I'm on board with this sentiment. Main reason I bounce off all 4x once it hits mid-game and I have my main home set up. Actually "winning" is way too daunting.

Win conditions are something that a lot of 4x Board Games actually solve. Twilight Imperium, in particular, has secret objectives each player is gunning for as well as public objectives everyone can claim. These range from capturing an enemy's home planet to controlling planets of a certain resource to building technology out in a certain branch. Having those goal posts associated with a point system to win (10 victory points wins you the game, for example) have made potentially endless games into 4-6 hour affairs when everyone knows how to play. Allows for intrigue and sabotage while also instilling every player is motivated and hopeful they can pull a victory out.

Most 4x video games I have played boil it down to maybe 3 options - destroy EVERYONE, befriend EVERYONE, or build all the tech and nuke EVERYONE. no nuance, no variance, just dry and linear and boring as fuck compared to the winding journey it usually takes to get there. Every game of Twilight Imperium I've played has always ended with an exasperated story of tooth-and-nail scrapping to get the crown. Each time the path is different, even with the same objectives getting drawn or secret objectives being given.

spiritfox

I think having secret goals like the board game example will work for Stellaris too. I've never won a single game yet, I just lose interest in the late game.

mcz117chief

I think having secret goals like the board game example will work for Stellaris too. I've never won a single game yet, I just lose interest in the late game.

I always have the most fun in the late-game. Pushing multiple fronts, building Dyson spheres, destroying ancient Empires, dealing with the Unbidden, etc. early game is the worst part, during that time you are not doing almost anything, just waiting for those 150 crystals to build a structure or a destroyer.

Tacitus_

Stupid question.

What's the best way to manage these insane research penalties for expansion?

Third playthrough, I decided I was going to be a lot more conservative in my expansion - sticking to maxing out development of core planets. But now that I've completely maxed out like 10 planets, should I continue expanding? Or will that increasingly make research more onerous for me?

Planets full of science labs. And later in the game, sectors full of science labs. Try to make them on planets that have a +research bonus.

Lister

Banned
I'm on board with this sentiment. Main reason I bounce off all 4x once it hits mid-game and I have my main home set up. Actually "winning" is way too daunting.

Win conditions are something that a lot of 4x Board Games actually solve. Twilight Imperium, in particular, has secret objectives each player is gunning for as well as public objectives everyone can claim. These range from capturing an enemy's home planet to controlling planets of a certain resource to building technology out in a certain branch. Having those goal posts associated with a point system to win (10 victory points wins you the game, for example) have made potentially endless games into 4-6 hour affairs when everyone knows how to play. Allows for intrigue and sabotage while also instilling every player is motivated and hopeful they can pull a victory out.

Most 4x video games I have played boil it down to maybe 3 options - destroy EVERYONE, befriend EVERYONE, or build all the tech and nuke EVERYONE. no nuance, no variance, just dry and linear and boring as fuck compared to the winding journey it usually takes to get there. Every game of Twilight Imperium I've played has always ended with an exasperated story of tooth-and-nail scrapping to get the crown. Each time the path is different, even with the same objectives getting drawn or secret objectives being given.

The new ascension perks are supposed to be that for this game. They are "end game" goals that you work toward. As per most Paradox strategy titles, games really don't end, but this way once you achieve your acention goal you have a natural end point. You cna always kepe playing of course, but you've esentially "won" that particular game.

I haven't gotten that far though, so I can't say if it's a satisfying stop point to a campaign yet.

Valtýr

hey everyone
i've been playing this game here and there. some questions:

-are there different kinds of war ships? or are you just supposed to edit the ship to add different components yourself?

-whats the best way to get influence? i've read that it helps to have rivalries.

-what's the best way to balance credits? i suddenly found myself with a severe deficit and had to go into debt with neighboring species for credit loans.

Top Bottom