• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stellaris |OT| Imperium Universalis

Steel

Banned
For all the advantages that democracies have, the additional leader bonuses on all the other government types is too strong to pass up, getting a +10% research bonus leader is great, even if you don't get easy piles of 250 influence. Then again, democracies get some really powerful unique civics.

The real OP gov type is Oligarchies, imo. Don't like your leader? Emergency election. Like your leader? They get 50 years. That being said the game does need more covert ops type stuff.

On a random side note, though, ran into an unfortunate glitch. I was playing multiplayer with a friend and they went for synthetic evolution. We end the game and come back to it a day later, but he can't rejoin as his civ, it doesn't show up on the list, and I'm fairly certain it's because his civ became all synths.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Is this game just not meant to be won? I'm playing a pacifist so conquest and domination are out and even tho 80-90% of the empires in my game love me, there are so many conflicting ideologies that I can't imagine ever amassing everybody into my federation. I've terraformed and colonized every planet in my little section of the map and I'm not sure how to proceed once I get my infrastructure maxed out. Do I start picking fights with empires I have a positive relationship with just so I can liberate chunks of them and hopefully scoop those pieces up into my fed? That doesn't seem like good roleplay.

Brakke

Banned
CISq0NeWwAQpx_2.png

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
I just started a new game with the same empire I've been using on my main game I've been playing for dozens of hours to test something for early game and it overwrote my iron man save from the original game. Really awesome stuff there.

Welp I got totally obliterated lol. I don't really understand the combat / ship design. I had researched point-defense systems but didn't realize I could change the ship sections in my designs to actually get a P slot... Ended up in a war against two enemies. The first only had one serious laser-armed fleet and I beat it, then I went to regroup and push into the other guy and he had one fleet twice as strong as my largest... I just let him take a system while I bulked up a bit, then went to go fight at like his 1.7k power vs my 1.5k, but he just shattered my fleet with a volley of such missiles, barely even taking any serious damage. I wish the game would should combat projections or something, that power level doesn't seem super useful if you're about to get hard-countered by the loadout.

First game: whoops!

Welp I got totally obliterated lol. I don't really understand the combat / ship design. I had researched point-defense systems but didn't realize I could change the ship sections in my designs to actually get a P slot... Ended up in a war against two enemies. The first only had one serious laser-armed fleet and I beat it...

I had researched point-defense systems but didn't realize I could change the ship sections in my designs to actually get a P slot...

I could change the ship sections

200.webp

God dammit.

Hey so what's the "fun but not overwhelming" starting setup for this game? Like Crusader King 2 is a Duke or Count in Ireland, in EU4 I really like starting as Muscovy. What's the size/stars/etc. setup for Stellaris?

Steel

Banned
Hey so what's the "fun but not overwhelming" starting setup for this game? Like Crusader King 2 is a Duke or Count in Ireland, in EU4 I really like starting as Muscovy. What's the size/stars/etc. setup for Stellaris?

Two things: Don't start next to anyone that's an evangelising zealot, or fanatical purifier, and don't start clustered. Beyond that, go for any size. Going for less empires will obviously give you more time to set up too, on that note.

LiQuid!

Just got this yesterday. What's the best way to get into Stellaris? I never played a grand strategy game before, so be gentle. :D

The in game tutorial is very good just enable it and start a game. You're probably going to mess something up badly your first couple games but once you get a handle on the UI starting a new game and getting your empire up and running is second nature.

If you feel like you need to do some studying before you start watch Aspec's beginner videos. He talks kind of fast and jumps around a lot but generally gives a pretty good idea of what you should focus on early game.

If you want a pretty easy set up for a first play through I recommend some combination of pacifism and xenophilia, which will decrease the odds of other empires wanting to gut you right off the bat. There's a prefab species that looks kind of like cuddly otters that have a pretty easy go of early game and diplomacy. Try them out if you don't want to build your own empire from scratch and risk making mistakes.

Even as a pacifist, maintain a capable defensive fleet because if AI empires perceive you as weak they will murder you and claim your planets.

Overall this is a pretty lightweight and user friendly game for your first 4x/GS game

Brakke

Banned
Just got this yesterday. What's the best way to get into Stellaris? I never played a grand strategy game before, so be gentle. :D

I jumped in for the first time just a couple weeks ago. If you read through my posts (and replies to me) in this thread you can catch me figuring some early stuff out.

My only major tips I wish I knew were: 1) be careful about Frontier Outposts, Influence can be a constraint; you should be them near planets so you can eventually replace them with colonies and 2) always keep a fleet up and ready; beyond aggressive empires, game also has civ-style "barbarians" in the form of Space Pirates and old mining drones gone mad and stuff.

Have you ever played the Civilization series (not sure if that qualifies as grand strategy)? If you have there's a lot rough analogues you can use as a basic reference point: Minerals are Production, Energy is Money, Society/Industry/Physics are science, Unity is culture, etc.

I'll write a longer post later assuming zero reference points. I've restarted several times because I keep learning things that would have changed my decision-making significantly, the most recent of which you can see above haha.

LiQuid!

Yeah don't get attached to your empire in your first couple games. Try something dumb and fail. I still remember by first species of bug people that I naively thought I'd be able to EXTERMINATE the entire galaxy with. I ended up getting wiped off the map in like 2 hours.

Okay, here’s a list of little things I’ve learned so far that I felt were important. If you are a ‘learn by experience’ type of person you can just play with the tutorial on and it will help explain what things are, but not necessarily how to prioritize them. Otherwise I recommend hitting up beginner videos or one of the game wikis to get a basic understanding of what things are before diving in.

Map Settings: For your first few games make sure clustered start is set to “off/random”. Otherwise you will always start next to a bunch of AI and that complicates the learning curve. I also recommend setting the Warp Method to “Hyperdrive”. Hyperdrive means ships can only travel along pre-determined ‘roads’ between solar systems. This helps gives the game a much-needed sense of geography, creating bottlenecks and strategically important zones of control. It also ensures that everyone is on the same playing field in terms of how they can move, especially important while you’re still learning the basics.

Depending on your computer you may not be able to run the larger map settings without hitching/lag. Small or medium for your first map should be fine. In terms of galaxy type I like 2-Arm Spiral but you can load a game of each and view the galaxy map to see which you might like best.

Species: If you make a custom species remember that it’s better to be really good at one thing than to be just okay at a lot of things. So, if you want to be a super militant species, pick traits and ethics that contribute to army damage and ship fire rate for example. If you want to simply overwhelm your enemies with efficiency, pick traits related to mining resource yields. This is less important for your first few games though.

Energy: If you run out of energy you will be hit with a massive -50% debuff to everything from ship fire rate to mineral production. It is extremely debilitating, especially if you are in the middle of a war, so make sure to avoid it at all costs.

However, you will have to regularly run an energy deficit during the game when you expand because Colony Ships (which settle new planets) cost 8 energy every month until the colony is established. This is a huge amount of energy in the beginning of the game and it normally takes around 2 years to establish a colony. Carefully evaluate your energy stockpile before you build a colony ship to make sure you won’t run out in the meantime.

Food: Food is needed for your population to continue grow. Like energy, running out of food completely is really bad and you get negative debuffs for starvation. But unlike energy, you will get an extra bonus whenever your food storage is full and your species will reproduce faster. This also means that there is zero benefit to producing excess food above the initial cap of 200. Producing +10 food is the same as +0.1 if you’re already at 200. Don’t waste workers on making unnecessary food when they could be making minerals or energy.

Unity: Unity is used to unlock traditions, which are empire wide bonuses. I recommend following the Prosperity tradition for your first choice/game because it has a lot of simple to understand bonuses that are helpful right away (less energy cost to maintain buildings and units, cheaper stations, etc). Unity is like influence in that it’s very hard to gain unless you know how to get it but extremely powerful. Just remember that at the start of the game you can build one Unity Monument per planet and that should be a priority.

You earn +1 unity a month and the monument gives +2, so you can triple your resource collection with one building. The first tradition takes, I forget, say 400 Unity. Without the building it takes 400 months, with the building it takes 133 months. That’s an insane difference for only 100 minerals. The first tradition of prosperity reduces mineral station cost by 1/3rd so it would pay itself back after 3 stations.

Exploration: At the very beginning of the game you have a Construction ship, a Science Ship, and a Military Fleet. The word fleet is important because it is actually 3 individual ships and you can separate them by clicking the “Split Fleet” button. You’ll want to do this because you can then send each ship to explore different parts of your surrounding area. This is very important because whenever a ship enters a system it tells you whether there is a habitable planet there or not. By sending 3 individual ships to explore instead of 1 big group, you spend a third of the time accomplishing the same thing.

The other reason to explore this way is so you can quickly figure out where your AI neighbors are. Knowing that plus where the habitable planets are helps you decide the best direction to expand your empire. It also means you only lose one ship instead of your whole fleet if you happen to run into hostile alien ships.

Surveying: You don’t know whether a planet or object has resources on it until a science ship surveys it. For this reason, I usually build 1 extra Science ship at the beginning of the game (also requires hiring a scientist to command it) to double the speed of my surveying. That way I can very quickly survey my controlled territory and then quickly move on to survey areas around habitable planets outside my zone of control that I might want to colonize (which my military ships find).

Because you can only build resource collection stations inside your borders, there’s no immediate reason to survey systems that won’t fall in your borders. What you want to do is figure out which habitable planets have the most resource rich surrounding systems so you can decide which to colonize first.

Resource Collection: At the beginning of the game you have very little resources and will acquire resources very slowly. For this reason, you need to prioritize which resources you collect first. Minerals are required to build everything so that’s your first priority in terms of building stations. For energy, it’s more important that you are gaining energy at all as opposed to how much you’re gaining. The system only punishes you when you run out, so don’t prioritize it above other things if you don’t have to.

Also, don’t ignore the science resources (Physics, Engineering, and Society). It can be easy to forget about this in the early game because you’re so focused on minerals since that’s restricting everything you can build. At the beginning of the game you only earn about 6 of each science resource per month. That means if you find a lucky planet that gives +6 Physics, collecting that resource would halve your physics research time. Small bonuses like that are very significant in the early game and can lead to compounding advantages.

That said, remember to also prioritize collection around the average resource yield of +2. I usually wait to build my initial resource stations while my 2 science ships survey my initial system(s) because I want to see if I got any +3/4 yield planets which are decently common. Since each station takes 1 energy to maintain, one +4 mineral station is actually superior to two +2 mineral stations. With two science ships working in tangent, I don’t have to wait that long before knowing what my optimal build order is.

Research: The way research works is that you get offered 3 options per category and choose one. There is an ‘invisible’ tech tree but you really don’t have to worry about it for several games; most of the time it’s stuff like you need Shields level 2 before you can research Shields level 3, fairly straightforward. What you do need to know is that your leaders can influence how fast you research through their traits.

Typically, a leader will have a 10% bonus to one kind of sub-research within a field, say “Genetic Engineering” for Society Research. These traits are color coded based on the Research Category, green for society, blue for physics, and orange for engineering. Make sure that that each research category has a leader with a corresponding trait if possible. This is another reason I like building another science ship at the start because recruiting another scientist can help fill out the roster. You can swap your leaders in and out of the research categories and science ships, so don’t hesitate to move them around if you start researching something that a different leader has a trait for.

In terms of what to look out for when researching, habitability/colonization bonuses are great because they not only increase your planet’s happiness cap, but they also expand the number of planets you can colonize, which expands your empire’s reach and your available resources. I also research Unity related things whenever possible because it is such a limited resource and I want to hit my maximum generation as soon as possible.

Brakke

Banned
Food: Food is needed for your population to continue grow. Like energy, running out of food completely is really bad and you get negative debuffs for starvation. But unlike energy, you will get an extra bonus whenever your food storage is full and your species will reproduce faster. This also means that there is zero benefit to producing excess food above the initial cap of 200. Producing +10 food is the same as +0.1 if you’re already at 200. Don’t waste workers on making unnecessary food when they could be making minerals or energy.

Lol holy shit I didn't realize this. I'm running like +45 food. Time to go convert some farms into mines...

Meccs

Can anyone explain how factions work? I have one that wants peace and one that wants war. I have no idea what caused this. I only have my own race on planets, no refugees etc.

Food: Food is needed for your population to continue grow. Like energy, running out of food completely is really bad and you get negative debuffs for starvation. But unlike energy, you will get an extra bonus whenever your food storage is full and your species will reproduce faster. This also means that there is zero benefit to producing excess food above the initial cap of 200. Producing +10 food is the same as +0.1 if you're already at 200. Don't waste workers on making unnecessary food when they could be making minerals or energy.

Wait, I was under the impression that increasingly overloading your food supply causes greater population growth. That is annoying, I have played two quite large games since Utopia came out and in both I could have converted quite a few useless farms into other buildings. Cheers for making me aware of this.

Three points of contention IMO:

1. You forgot to mention turning Advanced Starts to 0. Even having one can have a disastrous effect if one spawns close enough to the player with an opposite ethos.

2. I personally disagree with the "Hyperlanes Only" dogma that's arisen just because Anward said he regrets there being multiple FTL options. If there's one thing people should Git Gud at, it's managing dealing with enemies that don't follow the same rules as everyone else. While dealing with Warp/Hole empires isn't exactly preparation for the Endgame Crises, it can at least drill in that there is no one solution to every problem. All FTL enabled gives the feeling of a diverse galaxy - And let's be blunt, there is no "geography" in the open void of SPACE.

3. You're asking for hurt by capping food at 200. It only takes a few minor setbacks in the field of battle for you to end up with negative food production. Crank that Food cap up to 2k right away, and once you have a lot of food production going, notch it up to 5K. Then, THEN you can afford to lower your food production. Not a moment earlier.

Lach

Started a new game yesterday after not having touched since launch. After watching the last paradox video on the Adams patch it felt like a good place to get into it again.
Went with boring United Nations.
So far its going well. No serious threat around me and I have a good junk of the galaxy to myself. I have a evil hivemind bird civilization near me that might become a problem soon. As in every game my fleet is seriously lacking as other technologies always look more interesting to research. I'm building it up though.
Had a weird mission of helping to migrate a microbial lifeforms living on a dying gas giant to a new home (which incidently lies deep in evil hivemind bird). Don't feel like I got much out of it.

Wait, I was under the impression that increasingly overloading your food supply causes greater population growth. That is annoying, I have played two quite large games since Utopia came out and in both I could have converted quite a few useless farms into other buildings. Cheers for making me aware of this.

Took me a while to realize this as well.

Maledict

Um, I don't understand that food comment. Unless I'm being completely dumb, the more excess food you produce the higher your growth rate on all planets. Whilst it's not huge per individual point of food, it does stack up - I've had growth rates of 10% on worlds with my hive mind race that had huge amounts of excess food.

I was super wrong about the food thing. You get a bonus to growth for being capped, and you get additional growth up to 2 based on the formula: (Excess Food / Total Population) *0.5. Just goes to show why taking advice from a fellow beginner needs to be done with caution >.<

1. You forgot to mention turning Advanced Starts to 0. Even having one can have a disastrous effect if one spawns close enough to the player with an opposite ethos.

Good catch. That can be super frustrating if you're just starting.

2. I personally disagree with the "Hyperlanes Only" dogma that's arisen just because Anward said he regrets there being multiple FTL options. If there's one thing people should Git Gud at, it's managing dealing with enemies that don't follow the same rules as everyone else. While dealing with Warp/Hole empires isn't exactly preparation for the Endgame Crises, it can at least drill in that there is no one solution to every problem. All FTL enabled gives the feeling of a diverse galaxy - And let's be blunt, there is no "geography" in the open void of SPACE.

I still think there's a strong benefit to starting your first few games with hyperlanes only as you learn the ropes to minimize added complexity. I agree that you should try using all warp methods later to see what it's like, but ultimately it comes down to personal preference I think. But you're right, you can't know if you won't like it unless you try it.

3. You're asking for hurt by capping food at 200. It only takes a few minor setbacks in the field of battle for you to end up with negative food production. Crank that Food cap up to 2k right away, and once you have a lot of food production going, notch it up to 5K. Then, THEN you can afford to lower your food production. Not a moment earlier.

Didn't mean to imply you should stay at the 200 cap the whole game, I was just was explaining that the formula cares that your stockpiles are full, not how large your stockpiles are.

Also I looked into the excess food thing and I was completely wrong so ignore that advice! Excess food does contribute to growth beyond the cap bonus. The formula is (Excess Food / Total population) * 0.5, but this extra bonus is limited to +2 at most.

So if you had +100 excess food above cap and 50 population, that would be extra 1 growth per month. Sorry to screw that up so bad, carry on farming! I think my problem was I only checked the numbers early on in the game and when they didn't seem to change I figured the bonus was just for hitting cap.

In my defense I'm a beginner too, so thank you other players for pointing that out. I'll have to do some experiments to figure out if it's worth going a food build early game or if the bonuses are just too minor.

Maledict

It's worth saying that +2 to growth is a lot with the way the game works. It doesn't sound like much, but over the lifespan of a game that's a lot of extra people to play with.

I've always done hyperlanes only. Got nothing to do with Anward, it just plays better. Real space might not have geography but with the way combat is designed here the game strongly benefits from having it. Plus, the alternate travel methods aren't that interesting? If it was like... Sword of the Stars where each of the FTL methods introduced incentives for different play styles and responses, that'd be one thing, but hyperlanes is the only one that does that in an interesting fashion.

Brakke

Banned
Yes you can demolish your frontier outposts. They cost Influence to maintain in addition to energy. Influence is important, especially for recruiting Science Leaders, and scarce, so putting a permanent drain on it is costly.

You should use them to claim systems you aren't ready to colonize yet (or want to bring inside your borders so you can terraform them) or to force a shared border with a neighbor. But once you're a decade or so into a game, spending the minerals to make colonies is "cheaper" than spending the influence to make outposts.

Lister

Banned

The problem here is the AI. In a galaxy with asymmetric FTL, empires with hyperlanes could be at a major disadvantage when it comes to grabbing up territory and attacking/defending depending on their structure and the locaiton fo other empires. The AI isn't very good at handling this issue.

Of course the solution isn't to force everyone into using hyperlanes, because the same issue remains. The AI doesn't seem to understand the concept of a hyperlane nexus and bottleneck systems, probably because they are much less meaningful in the vanilla game where a Warp empire can come at you from anywhere.

The "solution" is to use Warp for everyone. The simplicity of it means the AI is more adept at using it, and is harder to cheese than when using the other FTL drive types.

Totakeke

So I've never played grand strategy games before. I bought this game expecting something more complicated coming from 4x games like Civ, but 9 hours into my first game and I'm bored with so few interesting things happening in the game and how long everything takes to do. It has been mostly a cycle of building mining and research stations, colonizing new planets, and because there's so many limits to almost everything, overcoming each of them takes a long time.

I realize you can optimize so that you don't get limited by resources or caps, but aside from that, I don't see any potential of interesting gameplay. Systems appear to be very static. Events have mostly minimal consequences so far so they're nice to encounter but they don't really change the state of the game. Diplomacy options doesn't seem any more involved than any of the 4x games I've played. I'm also at the stage where I'm just waiting to gain better tech than everyone else and eventually build big fleets and right click them to win.

Here's a screenshot from my game

What stage of the game am I in? Early game? Mid game?
What else of the game am I missing here?

So I've never played grand strategy games before. I bought this game expecting something more complicated coming from 4x games like Civ, but 9 hours into my first game and I'm bored with so few interesting things happening in the game and how long everything takes to do. It has been mostly a cycle of building mining and research stations, colonizing new planets, and because there's so many limits to almost everything, overcoming each of them takes a long time.

I realize you can optimize so that you don't get limited by resources or caps, but aside from that, I don't see any potential of interesting gameplay. Systems appear to be very static. Events have mostly minimal consequences so far so they're nice to encounter but they don't really change the state of the game. Diplomacy options doesn't seem any more involved than any of the 4x games I've played. I'm also at the stage where I'm just waiting to gain better tech than everyone else and eventually build big fleets and right click them to win.

Here's a screenshot from my game

What stage of the game am I in? Early game? Mid game?
What else of the game am I missing here?

I'd say early-mid. You still haven't seen the whole map, let alone had it all filled in. Once people run out of room for isolated expansion it gets more interesting. You're right that it's fairly dire until then, though.

Skyzard

Banned
I recently uninstalled every game I didn't really want, narrowing it down to like 10 titles that I still play, and I find myself really wanting to get this but not really having much experience with these sorts of games other than Civ.
I've watched the GiantBomb quick look of this like 3 times and I'm planning on watching it again soon but being "dire" until expansions have been filled sounds a bit too rough. Is there a way to speed up the game in a way to be more interesting, without making it too difficult?

Or is it fun enough for others managing things until then too?

Brakke

Banned
I recently uninstalled every game I didn't really want, narrowing it down to like 10 titles that I still play, and I find myself really wanting to get this but not really having much experience with these sorts of games other than Civ.
I've watched the GiantBomb quick look of this like 3 times and I'm planning on watching it again soon but being "dire" until expansions have been filled sounds a bit too rough. Is there a way to speed up the game in a way to be more interesting, without making it too difficult?

Or is it fun enough for others managing things until then too?

Eh I've had fun with a (fairly) quiet early game. If you start a game and find yourself bored, restart with clustered starts and allow advanced neighbors to hit the ground running.

spiritfox

Eh I've had fun with a (fairly) quiet early game. If you start a game and find yourself bored, restart with clustered starts and allow advanced neighbors to hit the ground running.

Always fun to have an advanced start fanatical purifiers start next to you.

Brakke

Banned
I honestly don't mind getting annihilated. Then it's a race to get at least one of your Pops out of the Empire to preserve the species!

Damn, my first really successful game to a close with a fallen empire waking up and absolutely demolishing me. I had taken over about a good third of the galaxy, had a Naval Capacity of 1500 with about 140k strength, had level 4/5 tech in shields, armor, weapons and had a variety of ship designs for anti-armor, anti-shield, and point defense balanced throughout my fleet and it felt like throwing sand in the ocean.

They immediately warped in on my main fleet with three separate 75k strength fleets and just wrecked house (and that wasn't even their full armada). I had one smaller fleet of about 15k that somehow won a victory in another system against a similarly small fleet of theirs, but I have no idea why that fleet survived (temporarily) but my main fleet didn't. Is there no way to see the details of fallen empire ship design to figure out what their strength/weakness is; the game just says that "your sensors have no way to make sense of the enemy ship". I have no idea if they just had a ton of shields or armor or something else entirely.

I tried looking at the battle statistics but it's hard to parse exactly what was going wrong because it just seems like raw totals with no reference point/context. The only stat that made sense for why I lost so bad was that basically every single weapon type of mine had sub 50% accuracy while their weapons had like 80%. But as far as I know there's no tech related to improving accuracy is there? That plus they had a bunch of weapons I didn't recognize like "Giga Canon" that were doing truckloads of damage.

And even if I had won that battle, they still had at least another 100k fleet flying around that I could see, and potentially more outside of sensor range. It kind of felt impossible to deal with and they're not even a real end-game crisis (which I've yet to have happen). How exactly are you supposed to survive or defeat them?

spiritfox

The loadouts of all the FEs are online. Also Giga Cannons are one of the Spinal Mount weapons. If you haven't seen that then you probably are not at a tech level to easily fight an FE or worse an AE.

Steel

Banned
Damn, my first really successful game to a close with a fallen empire waking up and absolutely demolishing me. I had taken over about a good third of the galaxy, had a Naval Capacity of 1500 with about 140k strength, had level 4/5 tech in shields, armor, weapons and had a variety of ship designs for anti-armor, anti-shield, and point defense balanced throughout my fleet and it felt like throwing sand in the ocean.

They immediately warped in on my main fleet with three separate 75k strength fleets and just wrecked house (and that wasn't even their full armada). I had one smaller fleet of about 15k that somehow won a victory in another system against a similarly small fleet of theirs, but I have no idea why that fleet survived (temporarily) but my main fleet didn't. Is there no way to see the details of fallen empire ship design to figure out what their strength/weakness is? I have no idea if they just had a ton of shields or armor or something else entirely.

I tried looking at the battle statistics but it's hard to parse exactly what was going wrong because it just seems like raw totals with no reference point/context. The only stat that made sense for why I lost so bad was that basically every single weapon type of mine had sub 50% accuracy while their weapons had like 80%. That plus they had a bunch of weapons I didn't recognize like "Giga Canon" that were doing truckloads of damage.

Mouse over the stats to see a more detailed breakdown.

That being said, one problem with the post fight stats is that it doesn't show the damage that fighters and bombers do. And, it's worth noting, that Fallen Empires use shitloads of strike craft. Additionally, you can see the breakdown of the weapons they used(minus strike craft) the same way that you see the weapons they use. If you want to counter fallen empires, throw a few flak cannon cruisers into your mix to wipe the floor with the strike craft they send out. Maybe a flak battleship or two to protect your rear.

Giga cannons are XL slot kinetic weapons. Shitloads of damage, but they're inaccurate. My suggestion is, if you're in a position to reload, build a defensive line with fortresses that have debuff auras. Fire rate and shield decrease in particular will take a lot of the damage and tank off of the FE ships.

fanboi

Banned
Hm is it just me or does the game feel to easy on normal? I usually played with 14-16 ais, 4-5 advanced and full FE in largest map.

Haven't had a problem since I learnd the game really.

Tacitus_

They immediately warped in on my main fleet with three separate 75k strength fleets and just wrecked house (and that wasn't even their full armada). I had one smaller fleet of about 15k that somehow won a victory in another system against a similarly small fleet of theirs, but I have no idea why that fleet survived (temporarily) but my main fleet didn't. Is there no way to see the details of fallen empire ship design to figure out what their strength/weakness is? I have no idea if they just had a ton of shields or armor or something else entirely.

I tried looking at the battle statistics but it's hard to parse exactly what was going wrong because it just seems like raw totals with no reference point/context. The only stat that made sense for why I lost so bad was that basically every single weapon type of mine had sub 50% accuracy while their weapons had like 80%. That plus they had a bunch of weapons I didn't recognize like "Giga Canon" that were doing truckloads of damage.

They have a ton of everything. When they awaken, they also get a bunch of free stuff and start pumping out their OP ships. You can see their fleet compositions here http://www.stellariswiki.com/Fallen_empire#Ships

Giga Cannon is an XL mount weapon that shoots projectiles. What sort of fleet did you have? You need some amount of point defence to shoot down their fighters and bombers and you do NOT want any battleships for your own fleet as they will get absolutely clowned by the FE/AE ships. You should also engage at point blank range - ie, try to warp on top of them or have them warp on top of you. If you engage from range, their XL weapons will ravage your fleet before you get to weapons range.

Steel

Banned
Side note: I'm kinda amazed that they still haven't fixed the AI bug where an empire or even endgame disasters like the scourge will bomb a world forever without sending armies in(because they don't have armies but also won't make them). It's been vexing me in my latest game where I don't have border access to the swarm, but I'm constantly having to fight them off because they've got 150k worth of fleets on every planet that I can't access because of closed borders and they're sending excess fleets to my worlds. If they'd just take one planet...

Not to mention how AI vs AI wars never seem to end because of that gltich.

Hm is it just me or does the game feel to easy on normal? I usually played with 14-16 ais, 4-5 advanced and full FE in largest map.

Haven't had a problem since I learnd the game really.

I used to play at insane all the time because normal was too easy, but then they just made it plain ridiculously unfair(you'll never catch up to any empire in tech and no one will ally you). It's not impossible, mind, but it's no fun. Hard is at least a challenge, but I'd still like a between hard and insane difficulty. Or at least a difficulty that just makes the AI smarter instead of giving them absolutely absurd buffs.

BaasRed

Banned
Seems the game is simpler than CK 2 and the other grand strategies. 4X always interested me but I don't know which version of the game to buy. What's the difference between them?

Meccs

Does the Victory Condition "Conquest, which requires you to conquer or subjugate all other empires. Fallen empires do not need to be conquered." mean that I just need to have everyone as my vassal?

I'm currently doing a "We have our own home but everything else is ours too" style where I just colonize normal and have everyone else my vassal which is fun since you don't have to deal with the stuff yourself and can just conquer everyone.

Seems the game is simpler than CK 2 and the other grand strategies. 4X always interested me but I don't know which version of the game to buy. What's the difference between them?
Imho just go and get everything. If not then at least vanilla and Utopia. Utopia is a must imho because it adds so much cool stuff.
Yes it is easier to get into. It is my first "grand strategy game" (even though some people would argue it is not a real GS game) and it is easy to understand. The tutorial is pretty good too. There are some YT guides out there that did help me understand some more advanced stuff. Just go for it.

Edit: I need to clarify with "everything" I mean the two DLC which is "Leviathan and Utopia and maybe Plantoids. But you are good to go with just the vanilla game and Utopia.

BaasRed

Banned
Imho just go and get everything. If not then at least vanilla and Utopia. Utopia is a must imho because it adds so much cool stuff.
Yes it is easier to get into. It is my first "grand strategy game" (even though some people would argue it is not a real GS game) and it is easy to understand. The tutorial is pretty good too. There are some YT guides out there that did help me understand some more advanced stuff. Just go for it.

Edit: I need to clarify with "everything" I mean the two DLC which is "Leviathan and Utopia and maybe Plantoids. But you are good to go with just the vanilla game and Utopia.

Alright will get it after I'm done with my finals. I'm surprised that the tutorial is good! CK 2's tutorial was pretty horrible :D

Top Bottom