• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steve Kent blasts Nintendo, 7 rules for fixing nintendo

human5892 said:
I would argue that your overall posting has changed -- the random Nintendo trolls are gone for the most part. And those were what bugged me, not criticizing Nintendo (most of your Nintendo criticisms I agree with wholeheartedly).

Right, so trolling bugs you even though it's the exact same thing as the criticism, just said more to the point? :lol

I guess I'll never understand people's problem with "trolling."

Suffice it to say human, that when I see fit, I'll post what I want, and if I get banned, oh well.

SantaC

Gold Member
DJ Demon J said:
Right, so trolling bugs you even though it's the exact same thing as the criticism, just said more to the point? :lol

Suffice it to say human, that when I see fit, I'll post what I want, and if I get banned, oh well.

Trolling is when someone says: Nintendo sucks! without backing it up with some valid facts, or well thought out opinion.

There're pro-Nintendo mods? Well, Mike Works and Dragona, I guess. I have no idea why you were banned if you weren't making snarky one/two-line responses and were in fact arguing legitimately.

AniHawk

On top of all that, first-party accessory/peripheral manufacturers will lose their stranglehold. FUCK YOU $40 MEMORY CARDS.

Nintendo mem cards: $20-$30
Sony mem cards: $25-$40 ($40 for the doublepak, which is a good deal).
MS mem cards: $30

Now just imagine, if you will, that there was just one console, and one controller type for this gen.

If it was Sony in charge, we'd have the DS2, which is a plus, but only 2 players, and you'd be forced to buy a multitap.

If it was MS in charge, there'd be slots to put devices in the controller, and you'd have to buy two because they screwed up the first time. But hey, the wires break away, which is a plus.

If it was Nintendo, then you'd have to deal with the button layout. But then again, you could have a high quality first party wireless controller, and that's also a plus.

Just a hint of what would come.

human5892

Queen of Denmark
DJ Demon J said:

Criticism = a post like the one you just made
Trolling = "Too bad Nintendo is for kids and this game sucks" (not an attempt to quote a past post of yours verbatum, but just giving an example)

I believe the bannings and such have encouraged you to qualify your opinion more, turning would-be trolls into intelligent arguements. Just take the damn compliment! :lol

DJ Demon J said:

So it goes.

Drinky Crow said:
There're pro-Nintendo mods? Well, Mike Works and Dragona, I guess. I have no idea why you were banned if you weren't making snarky one/two-line responses and were in fact arguing legitimately.

My "DS is the next Virtual Boy and here's why" post a while back is a perfect example of constructive criticism of mine which got me banned. It's no biggie, like I said, I'll post what I want, and if it gets me banned, so be it. I'm entitled to an opinion and the right to express it, just as the mods are to ban me.

Justin Bailey

------ ------
Well, to be "more to the point" :lol - You can believe what you want DJ, but it's pretty apparent that you've been put in check by the mods and I'm obviously not the only one that's noticed it.

Justin Bailey said:
Well, to be "more to the point" :lol - You can believe what you want DJ, but it's pretty apparent that you've been put in check by the mods and I'm obviously not the only one that's noticed it.

You'd like to think that wouldn't you--well, I promise, just for you Justin, the next time an opportunity to troll the next idiotic thing Nintendo's management does or the next ridiculous PR spin or the next hyping of the "Year of the GameCube" (or something equally hilarious) comes along, I'll "troll." And probably get summarily banned. :D

Justin Bailey

------ ------
DJ Demon J said:
You'd like to think that wouldn't you--well, I promise, just for you Justin, the next time an opportunity to troll the next idiotic thing Nintendo's management does or the next ridiculous PR spin or the next hyping of the "Year of the GameCube" (or something equally hilarious) comes along, I'll "troll." And probably get summarily banned. :D
Such is the mantra of the Anti-Nintendo Crusaders. So sayeth the shepherd!

border

the next time an opportunity to troll the next idiotic thing Nintendo's management does or the next ridiculous PR spin
Did you see the PR about GameCube's "momentum" going into 2005?

*fingers crossed for free tag**

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ
Interesting article. I think the author was dead on about that gba connectivity/crap and lack on internet support for alot of games. But in the end i dont think online features have impacted the casual console gamer as much as they do the pc gamer, not just yet. He was also on the money about how Sony built an empire, 3rd party relations and making a healthy environment / business model for developers. However things are subjective from there on out. Whats with his DS comments, and even moreso how does he know the psp will be successful enough to make the DS an afterthought. I mean he talks about sony like they can do no wrong in the handheld market, and thats probably because right now sony has had 2 gens of super successful home consoles. Well he doesnt show Nintendo the same respect in the handheld arena. Its all doom and gloom predictions, of course thats all he can say, because right now, nintendo can do no wrong in the handheld market they are THE one. If theres one thing nintendo doesnt have to change is its strat in the handheld market pump out the games and sell em. He spouts on about the GBA and DS confusing customers, i dunno, all the other gameboy generations didnt confuse they just sold. Whether it was color, advance, sp etc. The only thing nintendo really did wrong was lack of dvd playback on GC, that really hurt especially in japan. Lack of harddrive isnt such a big deal because they wouldnt make money selling systems with harddrives they make money selling memory cards. Furthermore even sony's ps2 didnt launch with a network device and i cant think of one online experience on console that cant be trumped on a PC (WC3 custom maps still own). Consoles seem to be entertaining just fine without massive online play, most are happy with multi player, and multiple system link for their fun. Yeah playing online sports games is cool, but so is getting together with a bunch of your friends with beer and food and having tornaments in person so its not necessary for it to be online. Nintendo came in last this generation but, of all the companies in the console wars nintendo is the only wholly owned company so they have been paying the bills up till now. I havent heard of them being up for sale so they're doing something right.

I agree with some of the things he said, actually the majority of it. We can only wait and see, also hope that the guys at NOA, read this article and present it NCL. Not only that, but let them know you agree with Steven Kents assessment.

AniHawk

GamerDiva said:
What's the best way to get rid of a tag you dislike guys?

*still awaiting DJ's reply*

Doing something really stupid, strange, or clever (none of which granted me my current tag- well, maybe the second one).

I think mine, in order, went:

Or is He?
Traded Soul for Store Credit
Banned
TCM fo' lyfe RESPECT!

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Drinky Crow said:
ONE CONSOLE WORLD!

With current technology, it's almost viable -- given a set of properly modern hardware specs, it'll take at least 8-10 years to really wring the juice out of it. The complexity of a forward-minded modern hardware specification is going to tax the current dev set, and not having to worry about ports lets them focus on doing just that. HARDWARE competition isn't necessary, since I don't feel growth needs to happen as fast as we're really hitting the limits of current TV sets.

Look at the hell of the PC video card market -- loads of features that are sorely underutilized on the top-of-the-line cards, suboptimized software, visual bugs/glitches galore, and massively inconsistent frame rates. Too much competition isn't necessarily good in a qualifiable sense, unless benchmarking is your primary source of entertainment in this industry -- current PC game feature sets lag five years behind the hardware, and a $300 card, despite being a monstrous deal for the level of technology, is victimized and castrated by shitty software and APIs. Xbox games, resolution issues aside, LOOK as good as the average high-end PC to the general consumer (note: not benchmark/screenshot whores) -- can anyone REALLY argue that the difference between Rallisport Challenge Xbox and RC PC on a high-end system is as massive as the disparity in specs might indicate?

Of course, the ONE CONSOLE WORLD doesn't change the important area of competition: SOFTWARE DEVELOPMENT. With no radical hardware configurations to port to, devs can focus on creating the best and the least buggy content out there.

Best of all, if the ONE CONSOLE SPECIFICATION focuses not on set-top shit but on a core set of multimedia functions, there's no excuse like NINTENDO FAILED CUZ EVERYONE WANTED DVD!!! Some ONE CONSOLE SPECIFICATION implementations will have set-top software features external to the core multimedia functionality (like Media Center features) at an added price (to either the user or the manufacturer), but that sorta competition doesn't hamstring developers and create such a fractured software environment.

On top of all that, first-party accessory/peripheral manufacturers will lose their stranglehold. FUCK YOU $40 MEMORY CARDS.

The only compelling reason to have a multi-console world is for historians and collectors: quirky hardware and variety always make for a little color. Not that the ONE CONSOLE WORLD isn't a dream riddled with flaws -- developing a common hardware specification and APIs is a task I sure wouldn't want -- but in the end, with a proper hardware leader (Sony or MS), it could theoretically happen and I think we'd all be the richer for it.
Amen.

OG_Original Gamer said:
I agree with some of the things he said, actually the majority of it. We can only wait and see, also hope that the guys at NOA, read this article and present it NCL. Not only that, but let them know you agree with Steven Kents assessment.

I think NOA and even NCL know all this stuff already. But its not so easy to change.

It takes a while to make your own "diverse" franchises and that requires a lot of money in development and marketing whic means spending a lot of money.

My personal feeling is Nintendo already has an exit strategy that they're making -- they'll get more into the anime business if the video game waters get too rough for them, but generally even if Revolution only sells 20-25 million units, I think they'll be content continuing to make their own hardware.

GamerDiva

Banned
AniHawk said:
Doing something really stupid, strange, or clever (none of which granted me my current tag- well, maybe the second one).

I am trying to do just that but my friend is annoying the hell out of me. He acts like the smart techie type and yet I'm still waiting for him to convert some messages into MP3's. Grrrrrr...you suck Michael!!! :) :lol

AniHawk

GamerDiva said:
I am trying to do just that but my friend is annoying the hell out of me. He acts like the smart techie type and yet I'm still waiting for him to convert some messages into MP3's. Grrrrrr...you suck Michael!!! :) :lol

You could also create a topic in caps asking for a new tag on the OT. I don't recommend it, though. There's a 1 in 2 chance of being banned, not getting a new tag, the topic being locked, or a mix those.

Joe

i wish microsoft and nintendo teamed up. that would be so fucking awesome.

but thats beating a dead horse :(

GamerDiva

Banned
AniHawk said:
You could also create a topic in caps asking for a new tag on the OT. I don't recommend it, though. There's a 1 in 2 chance of being banned, not getting a new tag, the topic being locked, or a mix those.

:lol :lol :lol I'll pass on that idea.

Ronabo

God that was a horrible article.

I'm was also suprised to not see any giant dancing green or blue bananas posted.

For shame.

This year is going to be fun.

AniHawk

Joe said:
i wish microsoft and nintendo teamed up. that would be so fucking awesome.

but thats beating a dead horse :(

That would be cool. And Nintendo could whip Rare back into shape again.

...Maybe.

border

If you really want another tag, writing some more prose-poems about the joy of giving blowjobs will probably do the trick.

DJ Demon J said:
the next time an opportunity to troll the next idiotic thing Nintendo's management does or the next ridiculous PR spin or the next hyping of the "Year of the GameCube" (or something equally hilarious) comes along, I'll "troll."
Is this guy a man of his word or what? We love you DJ Demon J! ;)

"Wow, another quarter, another weak GameCube lineup. If this is what 'The Nintendo Difference' is, then they may as well pack it in and save up for Revolution."

GamerDiva

Banned
border said:
If you really want another tag, writing some more prose-poems about the joy of giving blowjobs will probably do the trick.

I still don't understand why some of those people were bothered by both my candor and my love of the act. :)

GamerDiva

Banned
border said:
I don't think "bothered" is the right word.

Well whatever the word, I'd rather have a funnier tag like say "BJ Queen" than whatever and however the hell I got the one I have now! :lol

border

I'm pretty sure that you got the tag because you were talking a bit dirty, then AlphaSnake said "Oh baby you're turning me on!" and that prompted the full paragraph about amazing butt-clenching orgasms.

ram

4. Americanize, Americanize, Americanize

don´t do that. there is already a sh*tload of lame and boring videogames (do not forget the ultralame 30fps racer) from america. we don`t need any american games from japan.

Firest0rm

I can imagine Steve Ballmer doing that "developers, developers, developers" thing but with Americanize istead. :p

I have to say, this thread has actually been mostly made up of intelligent discussions. Not the usual crap that gets posted on the board. Good Job GAF, I commend your efforts. This thread gets an A.

GamerDiva said:
What's the best way to get rid of a tag you dislike guys?

*still awaiting DJ's reply*

Well, for starters, Nintendo needs to come to this E3 and show off Revolution. For their sake, hopefully they actually have been working on it for more than just a year or two, unlike DS (which had development started on it the minute after Sony announced PSP at E32003, cause you know goddamn well they had no plans to replace GBASP for at least another 2 years). They need to come to E3 with no less than 3 new franchises, none of which should be in the vein of Mario or Zelda or Pikmin or Pokemon. They should be something new, bold, and adult-oriented (or, to put it bluntly, Nintendo's own Halo, GTA and Metal Gear Solid). They need to hype the living daylights out of it from day one and not let up. They need to blow hundreds of millions on marketing. They need to pull exclusives away from PlayStation, or at least force PS3 to have timed exclusives. They need RPGs (although I do not play as many RPGs anymore, I know many still do). They need a sports lineup, even if it's fucking Mario Sports. They need racing games. They need an ONLINE NETWORK. They need DVD playback and expanded system memory for storage of game saves or downloaded game content from their online service.

And then, and only then, could they stand a chance of starting to eat away at PS3/Xbox2's marketshare.

DJ Demon J said:
Well, for starters, Nintendo needs to come to this E3 and show off Revolution. For their sake, hopefully they actually have been working on it for more than just a year or two, unlike DS (which had development started on it the minute after Sony announced PSP at E32003, cause you know goddamn well they had no plans to replace GBASP for at least another 2 years). They need to come to E3 with no less than 3 new franchises, none of which should be in the vein of Mario or Zelda or Pikmin or Pokemon. They should be something new, bold, and adult-oriented (or, to put it bluntly, Nintendo's own Halo, GTA and Metal Gear Solid). They need to hype the living daylights out of it from day one and not let up. They need to blow hundreds of millions on marketing. They need to pull exclusives away from PlayStation, or at least force PS3 to have timed exclusives. They need RPGs (although I do not play as many RPGs anymore, I know many still do). They need a sports lineup, even if it's fucking Mario Sports. They need racing games. They need an ONLINE NETWORK. They need DVD playback and expanded system memory for storage of game saves or downloaded game content from their online service.

And then, and only then, could they stand a chance of starting to eat away at PS3/Xbox2's marketshare.

Agreed with all that. And the system casing will have to look cool as shit (hopefully futurisitic/sleek) and the "revolutionary" control method will have to be something really neat.

But all that is easier said than done.

Retro having some bad ass FPS that uses the Revolution's new control interface in a really cool way would be a good way to start. Having a Smash Brothers game with Sonic/Sega characters or characters from other companies wouldn't be a bad thing either.

They may also want to work with EA (the Mario in NBA Street thing may be a precursor to this) to ensure that EA Sports games on the Revolution properly have exclusive features or functions specific to the unique hardware and maybe some other exclusive features.

GamerDiva

Banned
border said:
I'm pretty sure that you got the tag because you were talking a bit dirty, then AlphaSnake said "Oh baby you're turning me on!" and that prompted the full paragraph about amazing butt-clenching orgasms.

:lol :lol :lol

Firest0rm

DJ Demon J said:
Microsoft did it. If you look at what I said, I pretty much described the Xbox. ;)

Actually I don't think thats enough, it might be what they need to be competitive. But at this point Nintendo will need to go a bit further than what you stated. It has to do what others haven't, push the envelope. And I mean REALLY push it, go all out with something that really will "Revolutionize" the market and NOT a gimmick.

DJ Demon J said:
Microsoft did it. If you look at what I said, I pretty much described the Xbox. ;)

Yeah I agree with FireStorm, kudos for MS for doing that, but its not 2001 anymore, Nintendo also on top of all of that has to do stuff that the other guys haven't done yet.

Whatever this new control interface for the Revolution will be, it better be something really cool. If you're playing basketball, you don't win the game when you're trailing by just trading baskets.

Firest0rm said:
Actually I don't think thats enough, it might be what they need to be competitive. But at this point Nintendo will need to go a bit further than what you stated. It has to do what others haven't, push the envelope. And I mean REALLY push it, go all out with something that really will "Revolutionize" the market and NOT a gimmick.

Agreed, but all of the things I posted aren't gimmicks (despite Nintendo's corporate protestations about online, it isn't a gimmick--"connectivity" and touch screens are). Microsoft did revolutionize online console gaming. XBL is the standard to beat. Even Electronic Arts finally agreed to use it (although this likely came at the cost of Microsoft's sports games--but it was a worthwhile trade IMHO).

I don't think touchscreen is any more of a gimmick than analog control or having a HDD in a console though.

Connectivity was brutally handled. That could have helped Nintendo. For starters the GameCube should've just had a slot for Game Boy cartridges right out of the box (screw the Game Boy Player). Instant compatibility.

And also either the GCN or Game Boy Advance needed to come with the cables required to hook the systems up together. Do not expect consumers to pick up the tab when you're the one trying to sell them on a certain functionality.

I remember the original Game Boy came with cables that let you hook up two systems together in addition to Tetris and all that. Nintendo's gotten way too stingy.

The GameCube and GBA should have been able to interface with each other right out of the box -- no nonsense or accessories required, then maybe you would have seen better implimentation of this idea.

Because the idea itself is not a bad one -- when you're selling 60 million Game Boys and only 10-20 million consoles, of course you should ask yourself if it would be possible to get crossover going. The problem is Nintendo handled the whole situation so poorly.

AniHawk

DJ Demon J said:
Agreed, but all of the things I posted aren't gimmicks (despite Nintendo's corporate protestations about online, it isn't a gimmick--"connectivity" and touch screens are). Microsoft did revolutionize online console gaming. XBL is the standard to beat. Even Electronic Arts finally agreed to use it (although this likely came at the cost of Microsoft's sports games--but it was a worthwhile trade IMHO).

Standard to beat? Fuck. Standard to copy. There are one million Live users, and so many more that haven't used it. People will be attracted to it on another system if they've never tried Live, and those that have, won't tell the difference except the library of games.

The only way I see XBL being beaten is if someone offers it for free with just a headset that you have to pay for.

Xellos

Good article, and some good responses in this thread (DJ's). There are some nice thoughts here, but the chances of Nintendo actually moving in the directions suggested by the article are close to zero. I remember similar discussions surrounding the Gamecube launch, and how Nintendo would learn from its mistakes, but really they didn't. The quality of their console products (relative to their competitors) has been slipping for years. These days they seem more concerned about gimmicky stuff like connectivity, e-readers, dual screens, and strange mascot cross-overs than they are about making sure the traditional aspects of their product kick ass. Traditional aspects like controller functionality, storage capacity, hardware capability (see DS vs PSP), and online gaming. The leopard is not going to change its spots at this point. They'll get their energetic PR guy to come out and say that they're going to kick ass, and then they'll just do the same thing they've been doing for the past seven years anyway.

AniHawk said:
Standard to beat? Fuck. Standard to copy. There are one million Live users, and so many more that haven't used it. People will be attracted to it on another system if they've never tried Live, and those that have, won't tell the difference except the library of games.

The only way I see XBL being beaten is if someone offers it for free with just a headset that you have to pay for.

Speaking of leopards changing spots, I'm sure you were one of those Nintendo fanatics bashing XBL at every opportunity when it first launch and surrounding the whole Nintendo "online is a fad" debacle. Too bad the old forum is gone, and with it likely many of your anti-Xbox/MS trolls. Oh well.

Justin Bailey

------ ------
DJ Demon J said:
Speaking of leopards changing spots, I'm sure you were one of those Nintendo fanatics bashing XBL at every opportunity when it first launch and surrounding the whole Nintendo "online is a fad" debacle. Too bad the old forum is gone, and with it likely many of your anti-Xbox/MS trolls. Oh well.
Ouch. Looks like somebody needs a nappy-poo.

AniHawk

DJ Demon J said:

What the bloody hell are you talking about? I never did any of that shit. I signed up here in late 2002 and really started posting in February 2003 (just stuck to Media Create threads in the beginning).

Top Bottom