• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steven Spielberg : Superhero Movies Will Go the Way of the Western

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sanjuro

Picking up some commentary on the social outlet sites. Source is from an AP interview for his new cold war film.

5Lkn6GS.jpg

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/7b4d...fall-movie-preview-spielberg-plunges-cold-war

AP: You caused a stir two years ago when you predicted Hollywood was headed toward an "implosion" because of the over-abundance of mega-budget movies. Do you still feel that way?

Spielberg: I do. I still feel that way. We were around when the Western died and there will be a time when the superhero movie goes the way of the Western. It doesn't mean there won't be another occasion where the Western comes back and the superhero movie someday returns. Of course, right now the superhero movie is alive and thriving. I'm only saying that these cycles have a finite time in popular culture. There will come a day when the mythological stories are supplanted by some other genre that possibly some young filmmaker is just thinking about discovering for all of us.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
He's right.

Or do we think that superhero movies will rule the box office from now until the end of human history? Of course they will decline.

It's true. Soon enough the mass audience will reach a point of saturation.

For comic book fans though, its an exciting time for sure.

Salsa

no im sure they will continue to come out and be as succesful as they ever were and only get bigger and bigger till they're the only genre

steven captain obvious spielberg. such insight

guek

Banned
Uh. Yeah. Of course :p

Genre popularity rises and wanes, nothing new there. The original LotR trilogy spurned a glut of fantasy movies but those have since died down considerably. No trend lasts forever.

Well yeah, certain genres come and go all the time, and have been in this cycle since the dawn of movies.
This isn't an unknown phenomenon, Mr. Spielberg.

So what he's saying is that in 20 years, we'll have a Quentin Tarantino superhero movie?

That would be incredible.

Cheebo

Banned
What is with the captain obvious nonsense? Spielberg didn't make some declaration as if he is speaking a secret truth no one knew. He was asked if he thinks this trend would last and he said no, which anyone would say who knows anything about film.

I feel bad for the under 25 segment who fell in love with Marvel Studios movies though, they will take it hard when this genre goes by the wayside as all genres and film trends do.

Kalentan

According to IMDB, there's more Westerns coming out next year than nearly triple the amount of super hero movies coming in 2016.

Salsa

What is with the captain obvious nonsense? Spielberg didn't make some declaration as if he is speaking a secret truth no one knew. He was asked if he thinks this trend would last and he said no, which anyone would say who knows anything about film.

its more about how the thread presents it

just a random normal question with a normal answer on an interview

Cheebo

Banned
Thread presents it verbatim.
People are only reading the title. As is with most GAF threads. He was asked if he still thinks the bubble will eventually burst and he says yes. That isn't being "Captain Obvious". He was asked a question and gave the correct answer. If someone asked him what 20% of $100 was and he said 20 I wouldn't expect "lolololoool captain obvious". It was a question he was asked, that's all.

Salsa

Thread presents it verbatim.

just sayin the captain obvious answers come more from being a pretty obvious thing taken out of context rather than him giving it as some sort of true insight

People are only reading the title. As is with most GAF threads. He was asked if he still thinks the bubble will eventually burst and he says yes. That isn't being "Captain Obvious". He was asked a question and gave the correct answer. If someone asked what 20% of $100 was and I said 20 Iwouldn't expect "lolololoool captain obvious". It was a question he was asked, that's all.

im not only reading the title dude. im saying the fact that this was thread worthy makes it sound as some sort of news thing when he's just giving the answer everyone would.

nothing against Sanjuro or the thread, just answering your question

There'll come a time in the future where they won't dominate anymore, but they'll stick around.

But for now? I'm as giddy as a schoolgirl with everything that's coming up.

Cheebo

Banned
just sayin the captain obvious answers come more from being a pretty obvious thing taken out of context rather than him giving it as some sort of true insight
Yeah, he wasn't trying to give some crazy insight. Just answering a random question while making the interview rounds promoting a movie.

ApharmdX

Banned
If this does happen, films like the Age of Ultron will certainly hasten the process. Superhero movies can be fun blockbusters and effects driven but there's a level of stupidity that you just should not reach. Too many of these superhero movies are like that.

Cheebo

Banned
There'll come a time in the future where they won't dominate anymore, but they'll stick around.

But for now? I'm as giddy as a schoolgirl with everything that's coming up.
Not to the degree they are now. Maybe one every few years will be notable, at most. It will go back how it was pre-Iron Man/The Dark Knight. Anyone can see that, it just how things always are.

The general public will get sick of these movies at some point, as they always do.

Opiate

isn't this obvious? every genre has it's peak in popularity and decline.

i don't think it will be for a while though.

Right, completely agree. Yes, in the sense that everything rises and eventually falls, superhero films will decline. It could be 5 years from now, or 10, but sure, eventually it will happen. If Spielberg means this year or something, I don't think his evaluation is correct.

Cream

Banned
So the question is, what genre(s)/types of stories, do you guys think are going to blow up?

I know there is really know way to predict this. But, as an aspiring screenwriter, it's a really interesting question to me.

It can die when I get my Aztek and Sleepwalker movies

Bruh. Just give me Maggott.

Dude was introduced to the xmen when I got into comics. Him, Cecilia, and marrow.

The awesome zero tolerance storyline.

Then he gets shuttled off into generation x for one issue and killed in that shitty weapon x series, and now he just gets made fun of in xmen comics and cameos in random alt universes.

So disrespectful.

Slayven

Bruh. Just give me Maggott.

Dude was introduced to the xmen when I got into comics. Him, Cecilia, and marrow.

The awesome zero tolerance storyline.

Then he gets shuttled off into generation x for one issue and killed in that shitty weapon x series, and now he just gets made fun of in xmen comics and cameos in random alt universes.

So disrespectful.

Whats disrespectful is what Fox did to Darwin. That was done out of spite.

And I predict Sony will be to blame. How many more bad Spiderman's can the world take before implosion. I have no faith in the next iteration either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom