• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steven Spielberg : Superhero Movies Will Go the Way of the Western

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well everyone saw that shit show a mile away, before one frame of footage was in the camera fuckery was too be had. But Gambit and Deadpool? There will be no words, only tears
Gonna watch one by force..hoping it's not a shitfest. I'm sure I'll be disappointed..

guek

Banned
I don't do bait.

Age of Ultron did make less than the first one though. I'm gonna chalk it up to an anomaly due to perceived quality. I'm betting Civil War will do better.

It's really not uncommon in the box office.

Spider-man 1 > 2 > 3

TDK > DKR

Iron-man > IM 2

Batman > Returns

AoU underperformed relative to overgenerous forecasts. I guess Force Awakens will almost certainly underperform as well compared to a supposed $300M OW prediction :p

Kalentan

Spy/Espionage movies outnumbered superhero movies this year didn't they?

When you think about it... 8 movies out of... what, hundreds of movies that release per year? Isn't a lot. People just talk about them a lot and people assume theres more than there really is and I mean, really... Is going to the movies 8 times or less over the course of 365 days all that bad? Hell if you only care for the MCU, then that's 2 movies next year.

For a culture that loves the amount of tv shows they can consume, they're apparently more willing to sit down and binge watch 24 episodes 40~50 minute episodes for a total of 960 (assuming each is 40) minutes... But going to two movies for a total of... 240 minutes (assuming each are at minimum 2 hours) over an entire year, is exhausting? What lol.

faridmon

Hopefully that happens sooner than later

and while we are on the subject, hope Western movies comes back. True Grit and Django were amazing.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
When you think about it... 8 movies out of... what, hundreds of movies that release per year? Isn't a lot. People just talk about them a lot and people assume theres more than there really is and I mean, really... Is going to the movies 8 times or less over the course of 365 days all that bad? Hell if you only care for the MCU, then that's 2 movies next year.

For a culture that loves the amount of tv shows they can consume, they're apparently more willing to sit down and binge watch 24 episodes 40~50 minute episodes for a total of 960 (assuming each is 40) minutes... But going to two movies for a total of... 240 minutes (assuming each are at minimum 2 hours) over an entire year, is exhausting? What lol.

What series lasts 24 episodes anymore?

Anyway, I hope someone comes up with a new take on the genre. The movies this year were pretty stale and predictable.

or they could be the harbingers of the end

futurama-fry-not-sure-if.jpg

guek

Banned
Anyway, I hope someone comes up with a new take on the genre. The movies this year were pretty stale and predictable.

This is what I saw everywhere in 2013 after Thor TDW and Iron Man 3 but then we got Winter Soldier and Guardians in 2014.

antonz

Eventually the Genre will play itself out of dominance. I think the Genre has an advantage over Westerns though. Westerns became so tied to specific Actors. John Wayne etc and once they were gone there was no fresh crop of Western Stars to keep the genre going.

Superheroes aren't tied so directly to stars. I mean you don't see RDJ playing 15 different superheroes across 20 movies or anything like that.

i just need a high quality nightwing tv show in the vein of daredevil and we'd be good.

also it's not the age of the superhero movie it's the age of the cinematic universe. marvel was just the first to wake up and realize how easily this can be done.

marvel cinematic universe
dc cinematic universe
hanna barbera cinematic universe
classic monsters cinematic universe
etc.

Slayven

Eventually the Genre will play itself out of dominance. I think the Genre has an advantage over Westerns though. Westerns became so tied to specific Actors. John Wayne etc and once they were gone there was no fresh crop of Western Stars to keep the genre going.

Superheroes aren't tied so directly to stars. I mean you don't see RDJ playing 15 different superheroes across 20 movies or anything like that.

And comics have more ranger. Marvel could 60 million into a damn find psychological thriller called Moonknight

Personally, I hope Marvel Studios knows this. And reacts accordingly. After Inhumans, I hope Feige dissolves the company and move them to other Disney divisions, because I think at that point the MCU will be done with. You've got aging actors, a passed trend, and an audience that has just given up. Close the book.

And it'll be exactly when the Justice League movie comes out.

- J - D -

It's really not uncommon in the box office.

Spider-man 1 > 2 > 3

TDK > DKR

Iron-man > IM 2

Batman > Returns

AoU underperformed relative to overgenerous forecasts. I guess Force Awakens will almost certainly underperform as well compared to a supposed $300M OW prediction :p

True, though the gap between those movies and their respective sequel(s) were like drops compared to the $150mil+ ocean between Avengers and AoU.

Kalentan

What series lasts 24 episodes anymore?

Most shows..?

Though many are split into 12 episodes in the fall and 12 in spring.

I assume you're speaking about individual seasons, right?

Cause that's what I'm referring to. Many shows have 24 episode seasons with a break in the middle.

And hell if you talk about something like Game of Thrones, each season maybe only 10 episodes but that is upwards of 600 minutes or so per season.

Slayven

http://meatified.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/futurama-fry-not-sure-if.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
Too meta?
[quote="Sandalphon, post: 177381326"]Personally, I hope Marvel Studios knows this. And reacts accordingly. After Inhumans, I hope Feige dissolves the company and move them to other Disney divisions, because I think at that point the MCU will be done with. You've got aging actors, a passed trend, and an audience that has just given up. Close the book.

And it'll be exactly when the Justice League movie comes out.[/QUOTE]

The world will always need heroes. a place for New Warriors and The Old Guard, cause Justice needs to strike like lightening.

zeemumu

Eventually. Like any trend, superheroes will eventually get old and shelved then come back in a few decades when they've had time to regroup, like movies about dinosaurs and sharks.

quickwhips

Nope he wrong. We have so many super hero stories to tell and a shared universe which westerns didn't have. I bet Disney will keep making them but others will stop.

Nairume

Banned
Eh, while I'm sure that it's entirely possible that superhero movies will eventually taper off, I don't think the western comparisons really apply here given there was more to their falling out of favor than oversaturation.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
Nah, what is going to blacken the genre's eye is Deadpool and Gambit. Bomba so big you can see from Hala

lol Deadpool bomba? That's pretty much everyone's favorite comicbook character in my highschool. I say this as not a fan of comics, but people have been asking for this for quite a long time.

Village

I think hero stuff works because we live in a world where lore is accessible and now encouraged.

I dont think its going anywhere. But i do think its going to file down company wise.

guek

Banned
True, though the gap between those movies and their respective sequel(s) were like drops compared to the $150mil+ ocean between Avengers and AoU.

Yeah. I'm not saying AoU did as well as expected. That drop though is pretty much entirely in the US. There's a huge gap between #4 and #5 domestic BO records. AoU did about as well as a movie can possibly do in the states without being a bonafide phenomenon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom