• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steven Universe |OT4| Every Rose Has Its Thorns

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Posting my theory here:

I know the obvious culprit is Yellow Diamond, and it could be White Diamond because we know very little about her, or hell you could argue it was some conspiracy and Pink Diamond wanted it, but I honestly think Blue Diamond did it. I would even say it's been subtly foreshadowed since Season 2 of the show.

PIECE OF EVIDENCE ONE: In The Answer, we see that Blue Diamond was on Earth. We also see in the crowds the gems present are all blue/pink colored. It's also established that Blue Diamond was establishing a colony on Earth in this episode (that's why Pearl arrives to stop Blue Diamond's colonization), there is no mention of Yellow Diamond having any involvement with Earth and moreso it seems Yellow Diamond just wants to get rid of the planet. But it's confirmed both Pink and Blue diamond were on Earth, and Blue Diamond was trying to establish a colony on Earth.
(side note: It's easy to feel empathetic for Blue Diamond, but you must remember she's not a good person. There's a reason Garnet fears her, and the Blue-based gems almost seem particularly troubled.)

PIECE OF EVIDENCE 2: Steven, who is and isn't Rose Quartz, is shown to have a particularly strong connection to Blue Diamond in Steven's Dream. On the opposite side of the planet he see's from Blue Diamond's perspective in his dreams and begins to cry her tears. The only people Steven see's the dreams of are those he is close to, yet he doesn't know Blue Diamond, implying that Rose Quartz was close to Blue Diamond. Blue Diamond can create an aura that makes all nearby people cry, but this happens within a radius that wouldn't spread to the other side of a planet, and specifically only Steven is crying when she's on Earth and not the other Gems. Through this a connection between Rose Quartz and Blue Diamond can be established. And it's notable Steven only responds in this way to Blue Diamond, and responds to it when no one else is responding to it.

PIECE OF EVIDENCE 3: In the same episode, Steven's Dream, the first line we hear Diamond muttering to herself in front of Pink's vehicle is how she's sorry, so sorry. She says she thinks this is still Pink's planet. Greg asks if Blue Diamond was close with Pink, to which there's a zoom-in on Blue Diamond's face when she says, "Very." As we establish in The Trial, the person who shattered Pink Diamond was someone very close to her.

PIECE OF EVIDENCE 4: Blue Diamond seems especially interested in preserving Pink Diamond's legacy. Something that doesn't make sense here: Pink Diamond was a threat to humanity and the Crystal Gems were fighting her for protection of Earth, Pink Diamond wasn't on the Crystal Gems side. So why does Blue Diamond have such an invested interest in protecting humanity and preserving it (and even keeping Pink's bubbled gems, who Pink would've probably gotten around to shattering anyways as they were rebels to her?) and what Pink Diamond stood for? Could there be a chance Blue Diamond believed in what Pink Diamond had initially stood for but not where her actions were headed so she chose to preserve Pink's legacy?

PIECE OF EVIDENCE 5: Yellow Diamond is very blunt, she is presented as being very straight-forward. She will get what she wants no matter the means and doesn't seem to hide her feelings or intent, she will publicly destroy her enemies and make a show of it, not keep it in the shadows. She won't let herself fret over things, she is malicious but she's certainly not presented as someone who's keeping a secret. Meanwhile Blue Diamond gives off the sense that's she's repressing something, she's hiding something she can't get over and is more to her own devices. In That Will Be All when the two of them talk this is especially evident, she's been grieving over Pink Diamond for thousands of years and cherishes anything that was Pink Diamond. Yellow Diamond tells her to destroy all the bubbled gems who rebelled against her, but Blue won't because, "they were hers." She won't let anything go. I'll get back to this point in the next bit.

PIECE OF EVIDENCE 6: In The Trial all these points come into play. Blue Diamond wants to relish in what Rose Quartz has to say on her trial, but then there's evidence that Rose Quartz and Blue Diamond were close, close enough that Steven is still emotionally attached to her in some way. Yellow's attorney mentions that an illogical passion was what lead Rose Quartz to shatter Pink Diamond; TO THIS COMMENT, Yellow Diamond rolls her eyes, but Blue Diamond lowers hers. Despite an easy execution here, Blue Diamond pushes Rose Quartz to hear her thoughts. This on first watch is easily interpreted as Blue Diamond placing her anger and rage into Rose Quartz, but watch it all again with the thought process that Blue Diamond shattered Pink and Blue Diamond knows that she's guilty and Rose Quartz may very well know she's guilty. The whole scene still makes a lot of sense, in fact it maybe even makes more sense. Watch The Trial with the thought process and you begin to notice Blue Diamond's little ticks and emotional moments play perfectly into someone who's guilty and repressing the guilt.

It's just my theory, but I think there's a LOT more evidence to support Blue Diamond having done it than Yellow at this point. And you know how much these writers love their foreshadowing. Yellow Diamond may be quick to anger, and that can make her look guilty, but I think there's no evidence Yellow did it outside of her anger at the end of the Trial. Meanwhile, there's a lot that can be stacked up against Blue Diamond, and Blue Diamond having some relation with Rose Quartz.

Timeline question. When exactly do all of this happen in order: Garnet fuses, Green Centipeedle arrive on Earth, Green Centipeedle gets corruped by the Diamond's songs, Bismut get poofed by Rose, Jasper emerges from her hole, Lapiz arrives and get poofed, and Pink Diamond gets shattered?

RedHill

Banned
Timeline question. When exactly do all of this happen in order: Garnet fuses, Green Centipeedle arrive on Earth, Green Centipeedle gets corruped by the Diamond's songs, Bismut get poofed by Rose, Jasper emerges from her hole, Lapiz arrives and get poofed, and Pink Diamond gets shattered?
We have nothing solid to place a lot of these, but Jasper definitely emerged pre-corruption, bismuth was poofed pre-corruption, and Lapis arrived and was poofed pre-corruption.

iosefe

As per her story, Centipeetle was right before the Diamond Weapon.

uea8ublfgn1z.jpg

I just discovered Steven University, which involves a SU fan / podcaster watching Steven Universe with one of his friends who's never seen it before. I'm only a couple episodes in, but it's pretty great so far.

I've been listening to that podcast as well! It's nice to have a fan podcast with a non-fan co-hosting, especially since he doesn't like any animated shows and usually has a "wtf is this?" reaction to a lot of episodes. I just wish it wasn't weekly. Having 15 minute episodes and then nothing for a week sucks.

Posting my theory here:

I would not be opposed to Blue Diamond being the culprit, since it would be an insane and fun twist. I do think it needs to be some sort of tragic (to Blue) reason as to why she shattered Pink. If BD did it, I'm assuming it's something that she did reluctantly (possibly due to Pink defecting).

I posted a theory following the Wanted leaks (because of the title card) but before the actual airing on Reddit. Long story short, provided the Gempire has an actual resource shortage, White Diamond's ship we see in the background may be powering Homeworld, as it would likely be the single most advanced piece of technology around during the war. That, or White Diamond herself is stuck powering Homeworld.

I see it less as Blue and Yellow Diamond nefariously leeching WD's life force from her gem and more White Diamond being relegated to some kind of space office while she pours energy attacks into a giant conduit or something. This would narratively make it easy to justify her absence (what would be significant enough to warrant putting their entire homeworld on emergency power?), and it's also a clear way to illustrate WD as the de facto Gem authority if she's strong enough to power a planet for thousands of years on end.

Thirdly, and most significantly, this also gives Homeworld an easy out on contextualizing their tyranny - they're not infinitely expanding because reasons, it's because Blue and Yellow have been trying to liberate White Diamond. It would even make Earth a more significant misstep in their eyes - they might have been looking at the answer to their prayers by developing a new power source or even a new Homeworld entirely, but after Rose Quartz fucked everything up they just had to cut their losses and plant the Cluster. Yellow seemed tired talking to Peridot during Message Received, so I can't imagine she's having very much fun in her current predicament, either.

Damn!
This is a really great theory, I low-key want it to come true. haha
It would continue the tradition of SU's villains actually having an interesting and (most importantly) sympathetic reason for what they're doing.

Drew a thing and figured I'd share with you all.

Cute!
Well as long as we're sharing, I just finished this fan art of the off-colors (sans Lars) yesterday:
tumblr_or0942h6gE1s0fe9eo1_1280.png

Opto

Banned
< IT WAS ME, BD. ALL ALONG Theory >

BD being the killer would be a good twist, but Eyeball says she witnessed the attack. Then again, Eyeball couldn't tell it was Amethyst pretending to be Jasper, so maybe gems aren't that good at recognizing color, ironically.

RedHill

Banned
BD being the killer would be a good twist, but Eyeball says she witnessed the attack. Then again, Eyeball couldn't tell it was Amethyst pretending to be Jasper, so maybe gems aren't that good at recognizing color, ironically.
Also Eyeball has one eye and is generally pretty dumb.

But I personally think it was our Pearl (who was PD's Pearl) shapeshifted into RQ

Zubz

Banned
If we're posting art, I also got bored and made a gemsona today.

Yo, there's another psychotherapist in this thread? Either way, I love the concept of Blue Goldstone being a gem for both courts! The design's neat, too.

I'm not an artist (Wish I was but I stopped committing to it in high school & never got back into it), but my Gemsona would be Bone. Because Bone is apparently a gem. And I have some of those in me already.

You're all overlooking the obvious culprit. IT WAS ONION!

More fuel for the "BD killed PD" theory: remember how Steven was pink and Pearl was blue in Mr. Greg? Now remember how many times Pearl has nearly killed Steven? "That's the most afraid I've been since you almost let me die!"

Yo, there's another psychotherapist in this thread? Either way, I love the concept of Blue Goldstone being a gem for both courts! The design's neat, too.

I'm not an artist (Wish I was but I stopped committing to it in high school & never got back into it), but my Gemsona would be Bone. Because Bone is apparently a gem. And I have some of those in me already.

Thanks! And no, I'm not, but I was trying to figure out a good profession for a slightly uncommon but not quite rare Homeworld gem that worked in both courts, sort of like Zircon, but with the actual function changing depending on her alignment.

caliph95

Did you ever hear the tragedy of Rose Quartz the Rebel? I thought not. It's not a story the Diamonds would tell you. It's a Crystal gem legend. Rose Quartz was a Rebel gem, so powerful and so wise she could use her gem abilities to create life... She had such a knowledge of gem nature that she could even keep the ones she cared about from dying. The rebellious attitude of a gem is a pathway to many abilities some consider to be unnatural. She became so powerful... the only thing she was afraid of was losing her freedom, which eventually, of course, she did. Unfortunately, she got pregnant with a child and he inherited all her abilities and all her knowledge, and delivered himself to Homeworld. It's ironic she could save others from death, but not herself.

Thinking back, I like how the Gems were okay with Greg and Connie to follow them in the warp portal to search for Steven. Really shows how upset they were and rightfully so. I wonder if we'll get an episode of where they went since they must have to the galaxy warp to try to get to space.

I'm actually annoyed that they seem to be intimating that Rose Quartz didn't kill PD, now. It was cool and weird and dark (for a cartoon) to have Steven's "mom" be a sort of war criminal. Making her innocent throws lots of moral ambiguity out the window.

I'm actually annoyed that they seem to be intimating that Rose Quartz didn't kill PD, now. It was cool and weird and dark (for a cartoon) to have Steven's "mom" be a sort of war criminal. Making her innocent throws lots of moral ambiguity out the window.

I think it will be shown that PD = RQ ... which makes it a whooole lot darker if it's revealed to be the case.

She would be manipulating gems from both sides by lying to them. Sucks HARD for the CGs seeing as they wouldn't be allowed to kill HW gems but were clearly being killed by them.

Morlas

I kinda feel like if rose was pink diamond and the gems knew it it would cause a lot of the gems that were in her court to follow her just because she was pink diamond, and that goes against her philosophy that sentient beings should be able to choose their own path and convincing them as a rose quartz would be much more of a victory to her.

Thinking back, I like how the Gems were okay with Greg and Connie to follow them in the warp portal to search for Steven. Really shows how upset they were and rightfully so. I wonder if we'll get an episode of where they went since they must have to the galaxy warp to try to get to space.
That was cool, but it was some goddamned bullshit that Lapis and Peridot weren't with them.

Pluto

Pearl already said they went to the drop ship and tried to fix it, the ine where Peridot tried to kill them and where Centi now loves. :)

I kinda feel like if rose was pink diamond and the gems knew it it would cause a lot of the gems that were in her court to follow her just because she was pink diamond, and that goes against her philosophy that sentient beings should be able to choose their own path and convincing them as a rose quartz would be much more of a victory to her.

I agree, that would be part of why she did it.
But to lead a war from both sides for that long with that body count?
It would be heart breaking to find out all your friends had died fighting a war lead by the gem they were trying to overthrow cause she played dress up. Every victory could be questioned, every step followed coulda been orchestrated that way.

caliph95

I agree, that would be part of why she did it.
But to lead a war from both sides for that long with that body count?
It would be heart breaking to find out all your friends had died fighting a war lead by the gem they were trying to overthrow cause she played dress up. Every victory could be questioned, every step followed coulda been orchestrated that way.
Ok didn't care for the RQ=PD theory but par of me want to see pearls mental breakdown

Ok didn't care for the RQ=PD theory but par of me want to see pearls mental breakdown

I actually think Pearl was in on it which is why she seems soo hurt at seeing RQ's name dragged in the dirt by hw gems bringing up PD being shattered in front of Steven. Can't tell anyone the truth but knows that Steven is PD.

I think this would be a megaton blow to Garnet though. She seems to be the only one who didn't completely idolize RQ and just seeing forced fusions was enuff to make her wonder if the lose of all her friends was worth this war.

Finding out that she was being played the whole time? Gotta make you feel a certain way.

daevious

Whether she did it or not, Rose Quartz still hurt a lot of people. Her not being the culprit isn't going to make Bismuth any less cross about being bubbled and it's certainly not going to take back all the pain Pearl went through after Steven came along. And Japser, assuming she ever comes back, might redirect her anger towards the real perpetrator but it's not going to fix the millennia of pain she's gone through.

The actual details don't really matter that much outside of how everyone tries to deal with their own grief.

MartyStu

The entire thing was always shaky and vague enough to not have me on board. Short of an actual flashback, I think it is too big a moment to just accept on hearsay and very terse admission from the gems.

Moreover, while Rose would be considered straight up heroic in other media, in a children's show, her actions are still pretty gray. Even without killing Pink Diamond--which could have been entirely justified for all we know.

But she's already a war criminal though since her actions have caused a lot of hurt and grief even if the intent was idealistic in nature.

Also not a fan of a character suddenly going "dark" after other info has been established that she was kinda the opposite and it feels more of trying to shoehorn flaws for a character in order to stain her "perfect" image but yet not realizing she was never perfect in the first place.

The entire thing was always shaky and vague enough to not have me on board. Short of an actual flashback, I think it is too big a moment to just accept on hearsay and very terse admission from the gems.

Moreover, while Rose would be considered straight up heroic in other media, in a children's show, her actions are still pretty gray. Even without killing Pink Diamond--which could have been entirely justified for all we know

Yea if eyeball wasn't so fucking incompetent i would have possibly believed it but she isn't the only one in that camp and its why Zircon was able to spin that defense. Until a flashback and/or straight up admission from someone who was right there be it rose, pearl, pink, which ever diamond (if to be believed) i'll remain skeptical.

And i agree with her actions seemingly being more gray and i like that better.

I like the theory that the Temple Fusion or a Garnet / Pearl / Rose Quartz fusion shattered PD. Eyeball's "I remember her huge sword" comment in Bubbled could be in reference to that gigantic one that's in the sea by the temple:

latest

Doesn't sound like this show is going anywhere. Saying that the fifth season is the last fully-plotted season suggests to me that there is a partially-plotted sixth season in the wings.

Though there's nothing to suggest Steven Universe will end any time soon, the fifth season is the last one to be fully plotted out, and it kicks off with a revealing trial that upends assumptions about the entire past of the show's world and the (brief) death of a major character, rendered in startlingly vivid detail for a show on Cartoon Network. Sugar describes this as the show's "fifth wind.” She's adamant that the show keep evolving, even into different genres: "This is a murder mystery," she says of the new season. "And it's not over."

Tizoc

Just finished up Season 4. Didn't find the last episodes that impressive, but they were fine.
Aquamarine's a bitch XP

into Season 5 now and
Topaz is awesome, can she please be part of the Crystal Gems?

Someone on Reddit suggested Lars is going to turn into S5 Samurai Jack if Steven doesn't find a way to get him back, which led me to write this:

LONG AGO, ON A DISTANT WORLD,

I, WHITE DIAMOND, THE SHAPESHIFTING MASTER AND GEMPRESS,

UNLEASHED AN UNSPEAKABLE EVIL! *(Same Old World corruption footage)*

BUT A FOOLISH QUARTZ SOLDIER, WIELDING A MAGIC SHIELD, STEPPED FORTH TO OPPOSE ME.

*(clang! boom! kapowie!)*

BEFORE THE FINAL BLOW WAS STRUCK, I TORE OPEN A POOR PAL AN QUIN, AND FLUNG HER INTO PD, WHERE THE WHOLE ENTOURAGE SAW!

NOW THE FOOL SEEKS TO RETURN TO OUR WORLD, AND UNDO THE ORDER THAT IS ERA TWO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom