• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steven Universe |OT4| Every Rose Has Its Thorns

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kangi

I still want to know what the heaven beetle is exactly

I've always expected some of the early episode artifacts and whatnot to never be mentioned again. At least partially because how do you explain why there was an item that allows time travel just lying around in the Earth's ocean?

PSqueak

Banned
I've always expected some of the early episode artifacts and whatnot to never be mentioned again. At least partially because how do you explain why there was an item that allows time travel just lying around in the Earth's ocean?

Plot Twist: That device was something gemkind had pillaged from some other civilization from a planet they colonized.

Not

Banned
see I get the joke... but teen titans go is actually almost halfway through it's final confirmed season. just to put it in perspective where SU is just starting it's final confirmed season.

I imagine both will be picked up for more but it's weird they haven't announced something for either.

other fun fact.

Steven Universe has a better average number of viewers per episode in it's final confirmed season than Teen Titans Go does :p

Wait when did they confirm this is the last season

Wait when did they confirm this is the last season

He meant that it's the final season that's been confirmed. Any other seasons after this have not yet been officially confirmed, but there are many signs that production is continuing with the show.

I definitely expect Steven Universe to get some more seasons and you had better believe that Teen Titan Go will be getting more seasons.

Psxphile

^ at some point costs to produce every new season will outstrip any profit the studio can make from the IP and they'll either have to end the show or rebrand it as a new show to keep costs down.

Anyhoo: just realized the meaning of the term Armor of the Fallen Pearl gave the collection of human-sized armor Rose kept. Except that would infer that Pearl and the others maybe already knew that Rose had the power to restore life and I really don't think that's the case.

Or is it?

"Does Lion have something to do with Rose?"
"Ooooooooh... of course, that's why he's pink!"
"It's a little obvious."

:eek:

EDIT: forgot why I came here in the first place

quick clip of StL's Stevonnie in action
Polygon: Steven Universe creator's influences run from Zelda to Bubsy 3D

zulux21

^ at some point costs to produce every new season will outstrip any profit the studio can make from the IP and they'll either have to end the show or rebrand it as a new show to keep costs down.

it will likely depend on how the merch sells.

which if I recall right will start going crazy soon. I think most of the merch deals lined up to start coming out this summer.

PSqueak

Banned

Ah yes, the good old Ben10 method! Good for longevity, bad for the crew.

Violet_0

Banned
wow, these were the best episodes in a long time. Lars has become a rather complex, well-developed character, the lore has expanded, faulty Sapphire is the most adorable gem on the show. What were they doing these last couple seasons, this is what I wanted from SU. Less pointless Beach City episodes, please

zulux21

What were they doing these last couple seasons, this is what I wanted from SU. Less pointless Beach City episodes, please

this is simple.

no matter how good these last few eps were in terms or rerunability they are absolutely garbage.

the "pointless" beach city episodes are the ones that are keeping this show on air as those episodes can be shoved into cartoon network's schedule where ever they want. Fun random mostly one off episodes that kids can enjoy.

major story arcs like this can't easily be slotted and run a huge risk of kids not wanting to watch just part of that story.

I mean I hope season is mostly story based as I prefer them, but the beach city episodes are far from pointless.

MartyStu

this is simple.

no matter how good these last few eps were in terms or rerunability they are absolutely garbage.

the "pointless" beach city episodes are the ones that are keeping this show on air as those episodes can be shoved into cartoon network's schedule where ever they want. Fun random mostly one off episodes that kids can enjoy.

major story arcs like this can't easily be slotted and run a huge risk of kids not wanting to watch just part of that story.

I mean I hope season is mostly story based as I prefer them, but the beach city episodes are far from pointless.

Thank you.

This just like back in the day when people were confused as to why Person of Interest still occasionally aired procedural episodes. To get good TV, sometimes you have to throw a bone to the wider audience.

Violet_0

Banned
this is simple.

I concede that you're making a good point there

still, afaik, their viewership has been dropping slowly but steadily. All these filler episodes don't seem to do a particularly good job at making the audience come back for more either. Anyway, I'm glad that we got a bunch of great episodes that remind me of why I became a fan of the show in the first place

Stevonnie already seems incredibly hype in Save the Light, so I can only imagine what some of the other fusions are going to be like. It'll be interesting to see if Alexandrite gets a "unique" ability like just beating the enemy into the ground like in Attack the Light or if she'll have the ability to use all her components' moves at a reduced cost or something.

EDIT: I just got around to reading those Polygon articles, and I love the fact that Attack the Light was originally going to have a Far Cry-esque secret ending where if you brought the Prism to Garnet instead of putting it in the light you'd get 100% completion.

this is simple.

It's not like Cartoon Network ever really gives a shit about airing these episode and sequence anyway. I've seen them air stray episodes from some of the shows most serialized arcs alongside the random dumb Beach City episodes.

I concede that you're making a good point there

still, afaik, their viewership has been dropping slowly but steadily. All these filler episodes don't seem to do a particularly good job at making the audience come back for more either. Anyway, I'm glad that we got a bunch of great episodes that remind me of why I became a fan of the show in the first place

Afaik (from what I've seen from those who follow the show's ratings), you're right.
The reruns of townie/filler episodes haven't done anything to seriously contribute to SU's success, they're routinely beaten out in ratings by stuff like Teen Titans Go and Gumball.

caliph95

Code:
[IMG]https://68.media.tumblr.com/971851576b5a0b961b89c9d7114d9e2b/tumblr_oquofkph5H1vvn1qlo1_1280.png[/IMG]With Chelsea Pretti's voice

Psxphile

Another day, another Save The Light article.

SyFy Wire: Steven Universe creator Rebecca Sugar on creating console game Save the Light

Save the Light will see Steven protecting "the Prism (from Attack the Light) against a new foe with the help of the Crystal Gems, Greg and Connie." There will be eight playable characters, with seven available at the game's launch and one available in a later DLC. According to Steven Universe creator Rebecca Sugar, the team was really excited to build off of what they started in the first game. They wanted people to be able to explore Beach City and move around the space, making a world players felt like they could live in while also creating a way for players to explore more fully the relationships between characters.
That answers that.

Translating the characters and their relationships into video games has been more fun than challenging for Sugar, since they're video-game-inspired to begin with. She explained that it was intuitive to explore them in the language of a game.

"Even just the nature of choosing your party in like an RPG format is so what the show is. I'm really excited that you can play as Greg and Connie and everyone has their own sort of things that they're contributing," she said. "One thing that really excites me about the game also is that the show so often implies that there are many action adventures happening that you don't see, because I like to focus on the character stories, but the game is perfect because you can just go fight stuff, which they always do, but this time you get to see it and participate in it. That's certainly always going on ... I think the other thing that's exciting is by giving you the sort of choice of how you're relating to all the characters, the kind of stories we get to tell on the show become a story you get to tell by playing. I'm lucky that Grumpyface is really interested in finding mechanics that will support the kind of stories I like to tell."

Sugar confirmed that there’s a very specific spot where the story takes place in the Steven Universe universe and that there are enough clues that people can figure out when it’s happening. As for working with Grumpyface on the game, Sugar said she went to them with the general concept. She thought it would be exciting to flip everything they’d started and talked early on with them about it, working together on new characters and ways to expand the world that could only work as an expansion of the story seen in Attack the Light. Sugar was involved in the whole process and met with them every week to see what they had so far.

Graham and Grumpyface worked directly with Sugar to create a new character for the game, which will be revealed soon and according to Graham is "very rooted in the show." He teased that there may have even already been hints about this character in the show. Graham said Sugar had great ideas that they were able to use in design and story, and he can't wait for everyone to see the result.

I think a previous article stated it as well, but it's nice to know that the game will skew closely with the show to the point you can make out where it happened off-screen (or different screen, I guess). Makes the game seem more legit and less of an AU sitch.

But man, Becky's been a busy bee. :x

new character is probably a homeworld rebels

Given that the game takes place at some point before the end of Season 4, I think it will be Lion (assuming Lapis & Peridot are the final two characters to join in the base game). Or something crazy like Sadie or Lars. I thought maybe Bismuth, but unbubbles her would break very heavily from continuity if they're going to try and keep things semi-canon.

iosefe

I want Idina Menzel as White Diamond not because she played as Elsa that controls Ice and that White Diamond will probably control ice too but because I want another Wicked Musical character in Steven Universe.

Also she sings really well and will fit with Steven Universe musical broadway performers.

It would be a great curveball if White Diamond was voiced by none other than Sugar herself. I mean, WD is responsible for a lot of suffering. Rebecca Sugar is responsible for a lot of suffering. It's impeccable logic, really.

It would be a great curveball if White Diamond was voiced by none other than Sugar herself. I mean, WD is responsible for a lot of suffering. Rebecca Sugar is responsible for a lot of suffering. It's impeccable logic, really.

Ah it has to be this now. But only if she wants to!
I'm actually surprised she didnt voice the ruby pearl perma fusion because she describes herself as that.

the soundtrack release even has the lapis lazuli song yesssss

Is this something I should pre-order due to stock or just wait on Amazon?

MrCheez

President/Creative Director of Grumpyface Studios
Soundtrack is incredible!

Seriously always in awe of the talented people involved with this show.

Jofamo

I've been listening to SoundCloud-ripped versions of these songs for months, but this new release really is something else. Everything sounds so much better in these remasters, and there's a tonne of songs that never turned up on SoundCloud that I forgot even existed. What a great collection.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but this album collects every single song in the series to date, right (except Lil' Butler (did we ever get a reason why that song has disappeared?))? The last song we got was "What's the point in feeling, Blue?".

If this is Steven Universe OST Volume 1, they must have plans for more. Will Volume 2 collect all the instrumental stuff (seeing as those have been taken down from SoundCloud too)? Or is it possible that we still have so many new episodes to come that they could fill another album with new songs?

It's kinda disappointing that we can get a soundtrack and even a console game but it's apparently too much work for CN to start putting out Blue-Rays/DVDs of each season. If there's one modern show I wish I could physically own, it's this one.

How long did it take for Adventure Time to start getting DVD releases? I vaguely remember that it took a lot of fan outcry for CN to even consider it but apparently each season gets a release now.

So I just looked up Rose's voice actor and realized that she was also the voice of Meg from Hercules.

iPKnlPG.png

It's kinda disappointing that we can get a soundtrack and even a console game but it's apparently too much work for CN to start putting out Blue-Rays/DVDs of each season. If there's one modern show I wish I could physically own, it's this one.

How long did it take for Adventure Time to start getting DVD releases? I vaguely remember that it took a lot of fan outcry for CN to even consider it but apparently each season gets a release now.

I know there's BluRay season releases for Steven Universe in Australia, but they're a different region than the US and I believe they're also pretty barebones.

I can just imagine how fantastic some of the art (especially the backgrounds) in Steven Universe would look in BluRay quality, without worrying about buffering from streaming services or dealing with digital files.

But I guess they don't find it profitable to print BluRays for kids' cartoons. Gravity Falls can't even get full season BluRays and that's only 2 seasons. Hell, why isn't there a BluRay for Over the Garden Wall? It's one of the best things ever aired on Cartoon Network and it's perfect for just a single BluRay release.

What if part of why Yellow shatter Pink (if she did) was because she was jealous of how much Blue loved Pink. Yellow is very supportative and embraceful to Blue while White's relationship to her sisters or any of the other characters is still unknown.

Also I cant find "It's Over Isn't it" in the albulm. Regardless this is really good deal.

Edit: I can't spell...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom