• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steven Universe |OT4| Every Rose Has Its Thorns

Status
Not open for further replies.

sinxtanx

shower thought

if Steven learns to fully heal corrupted gems before the end of the show something drastic has to happen to the temple and/or most of the bubbled gems to avoid character overload

should be fun

Lo and behold, it's the design for this year's SDCC poster!

skdfjei.jpg

Not quite as fun as everyone dressed to the nines last year, but perhaps it's hinting this season is going to be intense?

skdfjei.jpg

Not quite as fun as everyone dressed to the nines last year, but perhaps it's hinting this season is going to be intense?

The locations of the white shape up top, Blue & Yellow Diamond in the middle, and the flower at the bottom representing Pink Diamond match the order in the Diamond Authority insignia. Not to mention the white shape has the same five spikes as White Diamond's head shape from the mural.

It's not the fun "here's the whole cast" poster of years past, but it looks awesome. Shit's getting real this season.

Direct from the art book, we have 100% confirmation that Mr. Smiley and Mr. Frowny were once in a romantic relationship.

lhdrb21vxs8z.jpg

My copy of the art book shipped from Amazon last night. Hopefully I get it early tomorrow or maybe even breaking street date today!

The_Kid

Ugh can't wait for the sdcc panel. There is also a panel about the artbook Sunday that I'm going to try to hit that should be good.

If we are getting white diamond i cant see the show ending in 20 episodes. There would just be too much ground to cover with redeeming jasper, the cluster, corrupted gems, introducing white diamond, etc. Maybe there will be a movie to end the show like regular show had.

If we are getting white diamond i cant see the show ending in 20 episodes. There would just be too much ground to cover with redeeming jasper, the cluster, corrupted gems, introducing white diamond, etc. Maybe there will be a movie to end the show like regular show had.

I wouldn't be all that surprised if they confirmed a Season 6 at next weekend's SDCC panel. I know that's not how Cartoon Network normally does it, but I strongly doubt that a show getting two panels at SDCC would be ending this season.

The way Yellow and Blue Diamond are presented together in the SDCC poster makes it seem like they're secondary big bads who dominate the middle part of the series. If Yellow was the "final boss", she wouldn't presented as equal to Blue. I imagine that this season closes the book on the Pink Diamond arc and introduces White Diamond near the end. Season 6 (and hopefully the ones after) will deal with new storylines while also dealing with the looming threat of White Diamond.

Sugar has said in past interviews that she's writing the show into a corner at the end of Season 5, so something major will probably happen in the season finale. But other interviews have described Season 5 as a murder mystery. It's extremely compelling, but "Who killed Pink Diamond?" doesn't feel like a end-of-series storyline.

I still stand by my "Pink D wasn't shattered, she's actually RQ" theory. That reveal and fall out would very much be a corner to be written into.

I still stand by my "Pink D wasn't shattered, she's actually RQ" theory. That reveal and fall out would very much be a corner to be written into.

I can't see it but it's not impossible. But it is weird why the Rose Quartz we know seems to be the only one of her kind on Earth fighting homeworld. Were the other Rose Quartz still in the Zoo? If so, how did the Rose Quartz we know end up in Earth? Or did some didn't follow Rose's lead and defaulted back to the Zoo? However, it is unlikely that the rest of the RQ would side with homeworld if all their abilities are like Rose which seems to be taking care and interest of human beings. Or maybe those powers were originally for homeworld and PD thought she can use them for the Zoo too, which started Rose feelings for the Earth?

Jofamo

Any UK Steven Universe fans buying the Art Book, or bought it? If so, WHERE?

Ive had a fucking preorder with Amazon UK now since it was listed, with a release date of the 11th of July. Nothing changed overnight, now it says it will ship within 2-5 weeks. Looking around, Forbidden Planet, Waterstones, everywhere is either out of stock or unavailable.

Anyone in the UK get one?

I can't see it but it's not impossible. But it is weird why the Rose Quartz we know seems to be the only one of her kind on Earth fighting homeworld. Were the other Rose Quartz still in the Zoo? If so, how did the Rose Quartz we know end up in Earth? Or did some didn't follow Rose's lead and defaulted back to the Zoo? However, it is unlikely that the rest of the RQ would side with homeworld if all their abilities are like Rose which seems to be taking care and interest of human beings. Or maybe those powers were originally for homeworld and PD thought she can use them for the Zoo too, which started Rose feelings for the Earth?

To me it makes everything fit together and answers a lot of questions.

1- We know that our RQ had unique powers among RQ as healing is her trade mark identifier. Given the scope and span of her powers it's safe to say that she has some omega level tier shit going on and I don't think healing was the only thing that was unique to her. I think other RQs are like Amy or Jasper and don't have these traits. RQ gems are apparently "shallow stratagems" which I figure means foot soldiers like Amy and Jasper.

Why is she so special? I think it's important to look at her powers in relation to other strong gems. The series has shown us that she can: Create an army of plaint life in her likeness/ Heal anything/ bring beings back from death with her tears (something she never even shared with her friends as they didn't know wtf Lion was or how he was connected to her). Through Steven, if we assume that at least the base of all his gem powers come from her, we see the power to flat out MIND JUMP into other beings and control them as she would herself, see into other's dreams or mind scapes and astroproject into them,

Given what we know about 2 of the diamonds (One can subconsciously invoke her emotional reactions out of beings around her (Not organics, Lars didn't cry) and one can instantly disrupt the form of other gems) a gem being able to see into and jump into other gems seems like it would fit right in with them. The diamonds aren't just rulers cause they're big af, they also seem to have powers that directly effect other gems so I would think that levels of gem mind control would be up there.

2- We now know that the entire EVENT of PD's shattering doesn't make a lick of sense. She would have no reason to stop for RQ, her court should have stopped RQs or at least done something but seemed to do nothing, her future seer gems said nothing, she didn't fight back in some epic duel, she was shattered head on by a sword that WE know (and the CGs know but likely not HW) doesn't shatter.

We also know other interesting things, like RQs was made on earth/ gems made on a planet suck it dry of energy/ the injectors on earth are among the first of their kinda/ the Baby Steven PD pjs hint and Rose was secretive AF and probly has PD's ship where she kept the Nora tape.

3- I think that PD decided to take over a RQ gem (bringing along with her powers of diamond tier) in an effort to get to see the earth away from her courtly duties and in doing so fell in love with it. It has beings that grow and change over time where as gems are lock in a system that's never changing and doesn't allow for self expression. She can see that their way of doing things is deeply flawed. Not knowing how to change the minds of her sisters in how to handle her first planet she decided to galvanize change through a grass roots upstart rebellion starring a Earth Made common fighter gem deciding to chance things. This doesn't work and playing both sides of the war just makes it endless. So to send a massage to HW and gems alike she sets up for herself to fake kill herself to show that the Diamonds are just gems ... not gods. That they can be shattered and broken and that you don't have to live under their rule. But in return she's met with a fusion attack that corrupts everyone.

She never tells the others (Garnet atleast. Pearl may very well be in on part of this) because she would basically be saying "the rebellion of just me playing both sides of the fight and oh yeah ... because of that and my lil fake death all your friends are now monsters stuck in PTSD hell ...been lying this whole time!".

1- We know that our RQ had unique powers among RQ as healing is her trade mark identifier. Given the scope and span of her powers it's safe to say that she has some omega level tier shit going on and I don't think healing was the only thing that was unique to her. I think other RQs are like Amy or Jasper and don't have these traits. RQ gems are apparently "shallow stratagems" which I figure means foot soldiers like Amy and Jasper.

Why is she so special? I think it's important to look at her powers in relation to other strong gems. The series has shown us that she can: Create an army of plaint life in her likeness/ Heal anything/ bring beings back from death with her tears (something she never even shared with her friends as they didn't know wtf Lion was or how he was connected to her). Through Steven, if we assume that at least the base of all his gem powers come from her, we see the power to flat out MIND JUMP into other beings and control them as she would herself, see into other's dreams or mind scapes and astroproject into them,

Given what we know about 2 of the diamonds (One can subconsciously invoke her emotional reactions out of beings around her (Not organics, Lars didn't cry) and one can instantly disrupt the form of other gems) a gem being able to see into and jump into other gems seems like it would fit right in with them. The diamonds aren't just rulers cause they're big af, they also seem to have powers that directly effect other gems so I would think that levels of gem mind control would be up there.

2- We now know that the entire EVENT of PD's shattering doesn't make a lick of sense. She would have no reason to stop for RQ, her court should have stopped RQs or at least done something but seemed to do nothing, her future seer gems said nothing, she didn't fight back in some epic duel, she was shattered head on by a sword that WE know (and the CGs know but likely not HW) doesn't shatter.

We also know other interesting things, like RQs was made on earth/ gems made on a planet suck it dry of energy/ the injectors on earth are among the first of their kinda/ the Baby Steven PD pjs hint and Rose was secretive AF and probly has PD's ship where she kept the Nora tape.

3- I think that PD decided to take over a RQ gem (bringing along with her powers of diamond tier) in an effort to get to see the earth away from her courtly duties and in doing so fell in love with it. It has beings that grow and change over time where as gems are lock in a system that's never changing and doesn't allow for self expression. She can see that their way of doing things is deeply flawed. Not knowing how to change the minds of her sisters in how to handle her first planet she decided to galvanize change through a grass roots upstart rebellion starring a Earth Made common fighter gem deciding to chance things. This doesn't work and playing both sides of the war just makes it endless. So to send a massage to HW and gems alike she sets up for herself to fake kill herself to show that the Diamonds are just gems ... not gods. That they can be shattered and broken and that you don't have to live under their rule. But in return she's met with a fusion attack that corrupts everyone.

She never tells the others (Garnet atleast. Pearl may very well be in on part of this) because she would basically be saying "the rebellion of just me playing both sides of the fight and oh yeah ... because of that and my lil fake death all your friends are now monsters stuck in PTSD hell ...been lying this whole time!".

I feel like we don't know if Rose is different than her other kind but it does seem weird to have a lot of them if they did have all of Rose's power. So it is possible that Pink Diamond did somehow merge her powers with a Rose Quartz. However, doesn't that mean Pink Diamond technically fused with a gem or was the RQ she possessed an empty husk?

The Zoo also make the Pink is Rose theory complicated. Wouldn't Pink/Rose try to free the humans before starting her war for Earth?

Whatever the case is, hopefully this season solves the mystery of Pink's death and also reveals more about Rose and what the other Rose Quartz can do, too.

TheSun

I really doubt the whole Rose Quartz is actually Pink Diamond thing.

Never made sense to me.

But yeah, still waitin' for them new episodes.

I've been saying this forever. Rose Quartz power-set puts her head and shoulders above any Gem we've seen so far besides maybe the Diamonds. Even if we take into account that Era 1 gems are more powerful and have more varied skill sets.

Rose/Steven Powers we've seen so far:
Super Strength (even by gem standards)
Super powerful Shield/Bubbles
Floating/controlling personal gravity
Healing(biological and inorganic)
Resurrection!(Biological)
Creating sentient plant life
Entering the Dreams of others
Body possession.

As its stands now Steven is arguably the most powerful gems on Earth. And Rose was just Broken.

Unbounded

Direct from the art book, we have 100% confirmation that Mr. Smiley and Mr. Frowny were once in a romantic relationship.

lhdrb21vxs8z.jpg

My copy of the art book shipped from Amazon last night. Hopefully I get it early tomorrow or maybe even breaking street date today!

That actually disappoints me.

I was hoping we'd had what was just a really close platonic male relationship. :/

I feel like we don't know if Rose is different than her other kind but it does seem weird to have a lot of them if they did have all of Rose's power. So it is possible that Pink Diamond did somehow merge her powers with a Rose Quartz. However, doesn't that mean Pink Diamond technically fused with a gem or was the RQ she possessed an empty husk?

The Zoo also make the Pink is Rose theory complicated. Wouldn't Pink/Rose try to free the humans before starting her war for Earth?

Whatever the case is, hopefully this season solves the mystery of Pink's death and also reveals more about Rose and what the other Rose Quartz can do, too.
It's been stated and shown more than once that "healing gems" was a special power to the CG RQ and not common at all.

As for the human Zoo the CGs did try to save them before but couldn't. There's no telling how things played out before or after the war started or how someone leading both sides of a war would decide to do things. For all we know she thought that the CG would have to lose some battles just to keep the fight from drawing more attention from her sisters because "Little Pink can't handle her first planet, lets help her out more".

How does that even work? We've seen tons of other Rose Quartzes?
I'm not saying that she disguised herself as a gem called "Rose Quartz" ... I'm saying that she did the very thing Steven did when he took over Lar's body or woke up inside a Watermelon Steven's body.

If this is a power Steven has used without knowing or thinking about it then it most have been something Rose knew how to use to a much greater level. And having even a solid grasp on it would make having a proxy body with it's own identity easily possible for a Diamond.

I've been saying this forever. Rose Quartz power-set puts her head and shoulders above any Gem we've seen so far besides maybe the Diamonds. Even if we take into account that Era 1 gems are more powerful and have more varied skill sets.

Rose/Steven Powers we've seen so far:
Super Strength (even by gem standards)
Super powerful Shield/Bubbles
Floating/controlling personal gravity
Healing(biological and inorganic)
Resurrection!(Biological)
Creating sentient plant life
Entering the Dreams of others
Body possession.

As its stands now Steven is arguably the most powerful gems on Earth. And Rose was just Broken.

Exactly.
It would explain so much about him.

I mean ... look at all these powers. Most of them have no place being in a "huge, loyal soldier". Amy and Jasper are very different with different weapons and what not ... but they both share certain traits and powers which can be assumed to come from them both being quartz gems. Yet Rose?

I wouldn't be shocked if they unbubbled a Rose at the Zoo only to find that she spin dashes around.

Rose is a mystery wrapped inside a dark puzzle so I see no reason she couldn't be hiding that she is in fact PD inside a fallen RQ.

Would explain why she used the non-shattering Sword to "Shatter" PD instead of the breaking point like Steven assumed she did. She didn't want to actually kill her self, she wanted to show the world that Diamond's aren't gods, they're just gems. She probly put her gem on the moon.

Would explain why Steven can make big ass, death ray from a space ship blocking shields when is seems like most gems can't make their Weapon much larger without being a fusion that has more than 1 gem's power to draw from.

When thinking about the Diamonds 1 is focused on military and defense, one is all about culture and "arts" (BOTH have powers that directly effect gems other than them ). Would make sense that one be about growth and population and another be about technological advances. I think Pink was in charge of growth and population ... with her gone the other diamonds had to full her role and lo and behold, HW is now suffering from resource depletion and now gems are being designed to lack their normal traits such as size and powers to make a smaller strain on HW because it's not deemed important for their given role.

If there was a diamond with Steven's powers I'm sure this wouldn't be the case...ya boy can spit seeds out and make them grow into sentient life and his tears can BRING ORGANIC BEINGS BACK TO LIFE AS HIS THRALLS!
Plus, it seems that gems require organic life or material to cultivate their birth seeing as the kindergarten left a scar on the earth where nothing can grow even 5k years later because as Amy put it the gems "sucked up all the good stuff" and popped out. Also it seems that all the shattered gems on the battle field made the wild strawberries grow friggin huge.

Just a thought regarding Rose's power set - even beyond Steven, we've seen that Gem powers are affected by the user's emotions, like Garnet almost destabilizing in Keeping it Together and Peridot's metal powers. The show's suggested that Rose's healing powers weren't even something common to every Rose Quartz gem, and this makes sense; she may have started out with some base powers like floating and the bubble shield, but considering she spearheaded the rebellion out of empathy and compassion, it makes sense that she would begin to discover abilities relevant to that.

Extrapolating from that, the complexity of the emotions involved also tend to play a factor; Garnet's existence lends itself to a fairly simple motivation - love, of course - and as a result her power set is more or less based on Ruby and Sapphire's existing abilities or combining them in some way. On the other hand, someone like Pearl has evidently been around a longer and tends to have a more complicated emotional state due to her history, and as a result she's got some weird powers like the holo-clones in spite of her "intended" power set effectively being no powers, outside of maybe storing things.

Provided Rose did have a hand in PD's death (it seems impossible not for her to have had to, even if she wasn't necessarily the one that did it), it makes sense that Rose would have such a varied power set - nearly all of her powers have to due with empathy, organic life, or some combination of the two, and dealing with the extremely complicated politics of the Rebellion and everything leading up to it probably exacerbated that.

Hey shake a leg! (Hey shake a leg!)

It's Mr. Greg! (It's Mr. Greg!)

And he's officially nominated for Outstanding Short Form Animated Program in the 2017 Emmys!

Here are the nominees:

- Adventure Time - "Islands, Part 4: Imaginary Resources"
- Marvel's Rocket & Groot - "Space Walk"
- Mickey Mouse - "Split Decisions"
- Steven Universe - "Mr. Greg"
- Teen Titans Go! - "Orangins"

It has a real shot of winning this year! I'd be ok with Adventure Time or the Mickey Mouse short winning (those new Mickey Mouse shorts are awesome btw). I don't know how good the Rocket and Groot short is, but I assume it's better than the GOTG series itself.

Needless to say, a TTG win would cause a riot.

caliph95

Hey shake a leg! (Hey shake a leg!)

It's Mr. Greg! (It's Mr. Greg!)

And he's officially nominated for Outstanding Short Form Animated Program in the 2017 Emmys!

Here are the nominees:

- Adventure Time - "Islands, Part 4: Imaginary Resources"
- Marvel's Rocket & Groot - "Space Walk"
- Mickey Mouse - "Split Decisions"
- Steven Universe - "Mr. Greg"
- Teen Titans Go! - "Orangins"

It has a real shot of winning this year! I'd be ok with Adventure Time or the Mickey Mouse short winning (those new Mickey Mouse shorts are awesome btw). I don't know how good the Rocket and Groot short is, but I assume it's better than the GOTG series itself.

Needless to say, a TTG win would cause a riot.
tumblr_mvetubR7kE1qzr86qo1_500.gif

Star Vs. was robbed.
No kidding. The other animated category has huge, huge snubs like Bojack Horseman (seriously? again?) and the final season of Samurai Jack.

At least Kristen Schaal got nominated for her performance as Sarah Lynn in a certain Season 3 Bojack episode.

Raxus

No kidding. The other animated category has huge, huge snubs like Bojack Horseman (seriously? again?) and the final season of Samurai Jack.

At least Kristen Schaal got nominated for her performance as Sarah Lynn in a certain Season 3 Bojack episode.

I don't know if Samurai Jack Qualified for this year but yeah the Emmy's have always been a joke.

Blues1990

skdfjei.jpg

Looks cool. I'm looking forward to the panel (once recordings and/or impressions pop up online).

I'm sure this has been suggested, but what if White Diamond was the fusion of Pink/Yellow/Blue (aka CMY, which form white)?

Maybe Yellow and Blue are so upset since they lost a fusion partner. And White doesn't really exist anymore.

Mumups

I'm sure this has been suggested, but what if White Diamond was the fusion of Pink/Yellow/Blue (aka CMY, which form white)?

Maybe Yellow and Blue are so upset since they lost a fusion partner. And White doesn't really exist anymore.

CMY forms black, you're thinking of RGB

Not

Banned

Why would the former Diamond Authority insignia have white as an equal diamond though?

latest

I feel like if it were a fusion it'd be in the middle not the top. Maybe?

CMY forms black, you're thinking of RGB

BLACK DIAMOND FLASHBACK INCOMING!

Why would the former Diamond Authority insignia have white as an equal diamond though?

latest

I feel like if it were a fusion it'd be in the middle not the top. Maybe?

I thought about that too. But given the mysterious (and seemingly powerful) nature of White Diamond and her absence, thought it was worth a spitball.

Have the other Diamonds ever referred to her?

Macka

I'd be surprised if that were the case, given Homeworld's view on Fusion, although I suppose it could just be something they spout to try and stop lesser gems from fusing to a point where they could challenge the Diamonds.

But no, I still think White Diamond will be the head honcho.

There's also WD having a gem placement that doesn't line up with the others, which would clash with the logic on fusion that's been established so far.

EDIT: also, since the artbook confirmed the keys, I was able to "premake" White and Pink Diamond's themes based on what we've already got from Blue and Yellow.

The minute I listened to this, I knew that it sounded familiar in my brain.

Turns out the initial "What's the use of feeling (Blue)" (Ahhh ahhh ahhhh) are those notes, just asked Surasshu:

https://twitter.com/surasshu/status/886734413815525376

Just got this in my social feed:

www.newsweek.com/steven-universe-vinyl-sdcc-rebecca-sugar-638202

In case people wanted a confirmation(kinda), look out for Jasper and Bismuth in future episodes.

Sugar's reasoning for Jasper and Bismuth's eventual returns is great: "I love them both too much."

She's a fan just like the rest of us. She knows what it's like to be heavily invested in a show and hope that a favorite character returns. I almost feel bad for considering that Jasper and Bismuth's stories could be finished.

Bismuth not only has unfinished business with "Rose", she still hasn't met Lapis. And Jasper can easily appear this season as part of the "Who killed Pink Diamond?" story.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
That vinyl is so cute. 💜 I wonder what the over of the vinil with the full OST will look like.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom