• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stock-Age: Stocks, Options and Dividends oh my!

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
As long as the SP500 stays above 2400 it doesn't matter what Trump says...it's a technical breakthrough. As awful as Trump is he is actually concerned about stock market performance (heck, he even mentioned market performance in his climate speech) so my feeling is he'll do anything he can to keep it rising.

Curious to see if VEA is going to be able to push through all time highs of the last couple years. Went to 42.45 on May 2015 and 43.41 June 2014. Goes above 43.41 then that might be another technical breakout too and time to get more shares.

He is too stupid to even understand stock market. You are giving him way too much credit.

He is too stupid to even understand stock market. You are giving him way too much credit.
I think the industry/economy doesn't even care that much about him, they're just going to do their thing.

But everything that he does benefits corporations anyway.

On the other hand, he fucks this country long-term (in certain aspects), Obama increased the S&P without being a crazy lunatic.

hurzelein

Can someone comment on how insurers and food industry stocks behave in a recession compared to the overall market?

Car manufacturers etc are obvious, but couldn't find a lot on these industries.

Thinking about buying some Muenchner Rueck > high yield, want some Euro stocks. But it's not completely cheap and I'm worried that it would be hit hard by a downturn in the next 2-3 years.

$Box finally reached it's IPO price. Always believed in them, but made some stupid short term trades because I thought I could get even more value out of them. That worked out okayish but now that they finally made it I have way less stock than I wanted. Hope it goes back down again so I can buy more for the long term.

I think people like stuff such as utilities in a bear market? You can't not pay your electric bill every month, or that's how the conventional wisdom goes. Utilities are actually some of the biggest gainers this year, interestingly enough.

I would buy something like VGX if I wanted exposure to Europe.

AMZN has finally broken through $1,000 convincingly and should close above it for the first time today.

Maybesew

Can someone comment on how insurers and food industry stocks behave in a recession compared to the overall market?

I think people like stuff such as utilities in a bear market? You can't not pay your electric bill every month, or that's how the conventional wisdom goes. Utilities are actually some of the biggest gainers this year, interestingly enough.

Utilities and other dividend stocks are the usual recommendations during bear markets. That and bonds as well.

Although we may never see another bear market ever again so it may not matter. /s

Mrbob

AMBA stock dropping on an earnings miss. Last time it was in the mid 30s I loaded up and made good money selling the 70s. If it goes to the low 40s, high 30s might start nibbling again. Their growth story still decent.

BeforeU

What you guys think is a better buy, GOOG, Amazon or Apple?

I already have some GOOG thinking of buying more. But dont have enough to buy them all. Also I dont like using my margin power.

Mrbob

Yeah I hate that crap too and wish it was illegal. He is manipulating the market through the media. I wouldn't worry too much about a 1% move. What was it, last summer when we would get 2% swings daily? I'm expecting some more volatility to return. Been too quiet for a long time.

I already have some GOOG thinking of buying more. But dont have enough to buy them all. Also I dont like using my margin power.

I'd personally go half Google, half amazon. If only one then Google.

Citron are the assholes who caused the previous drop in NVDA. Of course it ran up over 50% after that. I wish all the short hedge funds would just die. I was hoping TSLA's run up would cause some of that but oh well.

If you're still looking to buy NVDA or TSLA this might be your best chance in months to get in.

Mrbob

You should have enjoyed a nice run up though so a 2% drop shouldn't hurt that much.

I normally don't try to weight myself too heavily in one sector anymore.

Edit: Nasdaq off it's low to about 1.75% down now.

I've had a crazy run in 2017 so while it sucks to see these kinds of losses it's like whatever. Citron and Goldman are going to have to manipulate a lot harder than this to stop me and the others who have been long in NVDA and TSLA.

Melon Husk

Friday, pay day, option expiry day. Citron has some influence in the market but I wouldn't take their actual advice.

Bots selling off tech easy sector gains. AMD still up over 10% this week. I re-learned many, many things I'd forgotten. Lessons which haven't stuck to my head because I trade a dozen times per year. I made good profit and lost it all, because I didn't do the metathinking. I don't want to see this week as wasted, though, I'll learn from it. Besides, it seeing longterm bets pay off feels much better, my time and luck would be wasted on daily/weekly swing trades.

AMZN, on a hunch. I don't own it. I have a feeling the megacaps will dominate in the 2020s... FB has to stay smart to survive disruption.

Must be nice to be able to manipulate the market like that.
The influence of these kind of companies are annoying. The whole buy/hold/sell recommendation stuff influences stock all the time also. But well, can't do anything about it.

Hope Tencent recovers again above $35 next week.

I've had a crazy run in 2017 so while it sucks to see these kinds of losses it's like whatever. Citron and Goldman are going to have to manipulate a lot harder than this to stop me and the others who have been long in NVDA and TSLA.
Only up 2.95% for me this year. Here's hoping steel recovers over the year, biggest loss there.

Maybesew

someone got fucked with a resting stop order

as someone short nasdaq today felt pretty good, but it doesnt even come close to making up for the last 2 months

BeforeU

Yeah I hate that crap too and wish it was illegal. He is manipulating the market through the media. I wouldn't worry too much about a 1% move. What was it, last summer when we would get 2% swings daily? I'm expecting some more volatility to return. Been too quiet for a long time.

I'd personally go half Google, half amazon. If only one then Google.

Friday, pay day, option expiry day. Citron has some influence in the market but I wouldn't take their actual advice.

Bots selling off tech easy sector gains. AMD still up over 10% this week. I re-learned many, many things I'd forgotten. Lessons which haven't stuck to my head because I trade a dozen times per year. I made good profit and lost it all, because I didn't do the metathinking. I don't want to see this week as wasted, though, I'll learn from it. Besides, it seeing longterm bets pay off feels much better, my time and luck would be wasted on daily/weekly swing trades.

AMZN, on a hunch. I don't own it. I have a feeling the megacaps will dominate in the 2020s... FB has to stay smart to survive disruption.

lol I put AAPL order for $147.60 thinking it will never be filled, went out for a coffee and came back and it was filled.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Not really surprised by what's happening, everyone and their grandma has heard recently how high stock markets are and how Amazon Bitcoin Google Facebook and Tesla are skyrocketing, so as expected there markets go further up then crash.

Mrbob

So since I have some extra free time in the summer I think I'm going to create a new motif for fun and see if I can beat the market. Looking at doing 10 stocks all equal weighted at 10% each for investing. Right now I'm thinking:

Google
Amazon
Facebook
Nvidia
Auph (spec stock pick)

Any recommendations for the final five? Heck, even a different 10 stocks to choose from? Only one rule, can't suggest Tesla. Maybe I'll call the Motif Neogaf Stock Mix.

I always liked the concept of Motif but it was annoying to have to pay 5 bucks every time to re-balance a motif. Now they have multiple service tiers and one tier allows re-balancing one motif at 5 bucks a month, so I'm going to give it a shot.

I didn't defeat the SP500 in the last year with my old motif....I was close but my spec pick NVAX kind of crushed me haha:

https://trader.motifinvesting.com/motifs/stock-mix-ec8Gwl87#/overview

Furious comeback though looking at the graph of the two. Down almost 20% to virtually tying the SP500.

But this is why I like using Motif...create a mix where you can have a stock at 80% loss and still by up 15% overall. Going to have to put this one into retirement.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
So since I have some extra free time in the summer I think I'm going to create a new motif for fun and see if I can beat the market. Looking at doing 10 stocks all equal weighted at 10% each for investing. Right now I'm thinking:

Google
Amazon
Facebook
Nvidia
Auph (spec stock pick)

Any recommendations for the final five? Heck, even a different 10 stocks to choose from? Only one rule, can't suggest Tesla. Maybe I'll call the Motif Neogaf Stock Mix.

I always liked the concept of Motif but it was annoying to have to pay 5 bucks every time to re-balance a motif. Now they have multiple service tiers and one tier allows re-balancing one motif at 5 bucks a month, so I'm going to give it a shot.

I didn't defeat the SP500 in the last year with my old motif....I was close but my spec pick NVAX kind of crushed me haha:

https://trader.motifinvesting.com/motifs/stock-mix-ec8Gwl87#/overview

Furious comeback though looking at the graph of the two. Down almost 20% to virtually tying the SP500.

But this is why I like using Motif...create a mix where you can have a stock at 80% loss and still by up 15% overall. Going to have to put this one into retirement.

Probably one bank, I'd say.

but why bother with doing 10 stocks to mimic your own index fun when you can just..... use an actual index fund?

I'm interested in some index funds or some low risk, low reward investments for my money. I don't want to manage my investments, just one where i can place my money for some years and have it grow consistently, don't care about high short term profits (like with company stocks).

Where should i put them?

Smiley90

°°ToMmY°°;240010644 said:
I'm interested in some index funds or some low risk, low reward investments for my money. I don't want to manage my investments, just one where i can place my money for some years and have it grow consistently, don't care about high short term profits (like with company stocks).

Where should i put them?

A) Check out this thread: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=749978

B) VTI, it's a total US stock market index fund. Put the money in there and don't look at it for 50 years.

Smiley90

°°ToMmY°°;240011322 said:
By VTI you mean Vanguard Total Stock Market ETF?

correct, assuming you're in the US. If Canada, then VUN will do the trick too

looking at the one you posted, the first one (CRSPTMT) looks good! has near-identical returns to VTI so it's probably the same thing. That's going to be a long-term retirement savings account you never have to look at. For something more "short term" (as in, even less risky), check out some bond-index funds like BLV. (not sure what you can get at work). Otherwise, maybe supplement VTI with a small percentage of emerging/international funds. But if you just want "one" fund to put money in and never look back that's going to give you good, relatively low-risk returns I'd say VTI. Or in your case, CRSPTMT.

°°ToMmY°°;240011574 said:
I'm in italy =

Although i'm cleared for us investments and have dollars in my bank account.
There are index funds that follow the Eurostoxx, which are the largest European companies. Although index funds in Europe tend to be a bit more expensive.

You can also buy Vanguard ETFs in Europe, they have options in euros, so you don't have to buy in dollars in the US market, but it follows it the same just fine.

There are index funds that follow the Eurostoxx, which are the largest European companies. Although index funds in Europe tend to be a bit more expensive.

You can also buy Vanguard ETFs in Europe, they have options in euros, so you don't have to buy in dollars in the US market, but it follows it the same just fine.

Thanks!

I'm looking at etf and i found this one: FTSE All-World (DR)-ucits -VG - VWRL.AS

"This Fund seeks to provide long-term growth of capital by tracking the performance of the FTSE All-World Index, a market-capitalisation weighted index of common stocks of large and mid cap companies in developed and emerging countries. The Fund employs a “passive management” – or indexing – investment approach, through physical acquisition of securities, designed to track the performance of the Index, a free float adjusted market capitalisation weighted index. The Fund will invest in a portfolio of equity securities that so far as possible and practicable consists of a representative sample of the component securities of the Index."

It seems it's less risky than one based on the us stock market exclusively.

Thoughts on this?

Top Bottom