• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stock-Age: Stocks, Options and Dividends oh my!

Maybesew

Guys I have a lot of exposure to these tech companies and I bought a lot at recent valuations. I'm bleeding a ton of money on Apple.

Do you think this is a correction that will just come back up again or is this the end of the tech rally and I'm going to be underwater with these stocks for a long time.

Tell me what to do gaf.

https://seekingalpha.com/article/4080817-apple-wall-street-getting-valuation-wrong

You can always hedge. If you are very long apple, you can sell short QQQ in lesser volume. Lots of other ways to do it with options as well, depending on how complicated you want to get.

Bandini

Oddly enough, my biggest loser the last two days was BRKS, a super solid, somewhat under the radar robotics company.

I'm holding strong here.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
I am like so fucked..... Dont even know where to begin lol... Bought even more Amazon yesterday for 981...fml

sth8rgqhqg3z.png

tokkun

What exactly is an RSU?

They are shares of a company that are given out to employees as an alternative form of compensation. Instead of giving you $X in cash as part of your salary, they give you Y shares of stock instead. Typically RSUs are given in grants that vest over some period of time. For instance, Amazon might hypothetically give an employee 100 shares that vest over the course of 4 years. It's kind of like stock options, but less complicated because there is no strike price. You just get a certain number of shares, they are worth whatever the current price happens to be when you get them, and are taxed just like normal income.

From an investor's standpoint, what you should know is that they are popular in tech companies because for some reason people have accepted the companies not including the cost of RSUs when calculating their non-GAAP profits. This allows the companies to claim profits which are, in reality, bullshit. I have no idea why this is considered acceptable or legal.

Wow, the supermarkets are afraid of that Amazon deal. My Ahold just went down 8% over it. I'm buying a bit more at this price. Seems like an overreaction.

Mrbob

I think we are in the final bull market for this post 2008 rally. Anything that goes down doesn't stay down for long. Now the question is how long will this bull market last.

tokkun

I think we are in the final bull market for this post 2008 rally. Anything that goes down doesn't stay down for long. Now the question is how long will this bull market last.

Things probably go south around the time that it becomes clear that tax reform is not happening.

At least my steel recovered a bit. +3,5% almost. Still a long way to go. Supermarkets still suck because people think Amazon is taking over everything it seems. Strange development.

Mrbob

Plot twist, I added Tesla stock to my motif. Only 5 percent though since it's one of twenty stocks. Still, I'm expecting that 5% to go to 0% in a year when Tesla stock goes belly up.

ColdPizza

Banned
Any thoughts on getting into solar now? And advice on picking which companies to go with?

What's your investment horizon? I got a small stake in OPVS (Nanoflex Power Company) that is working on a patent portfolio for future-use solar materials.

They just scored a military research grant yesterday to research portable/lightweight solar materials for troops out in the field.

Might be a good investment if you don't mind holding on for 10 or more years.

http://www.nanoflexpower.com/

crude oil is taking it right up the ass today
Pff, -10% on my stock there. Steel -25%. Supermarkets -15%. Biotech -50%.

At least I'm still up 0,03% this year after costs :( Going to keep buying my ETFs every month though for the long term.

I have faith Ahold will recover above 20 euro again and going to make some money there. My biggest loss is there at the moment.

Mrbob

What Biotech are you down half on?

I bought into VHT last November when it was around 117 to 120, and it's been booming lately. Just broke the all time high of 145 so I'm hoping it's the next leg up. IBB also just broke through major resistance at 300. Biotech should be doing really well for you right now unless you picked a spec stock that had a bad trial.

I bought into VHT last November when it was around 117 to 120, and it's been booming lately. Just broke the all time high of 145 so I'm hoping it's the next leg up. IBB also just broke through major resistance at 300. Biotech should be doing really well for you right now unless you picked a spec stock that had a bad trial.
Some local company here in Holland working on a blood cancer treatments: Kiadis Pharma. Maybe they'll surprise and it will blow up. If the research works out they should have hundreds of millions of dollars worth of treatments every year. Only bought a few shares though, not that much.

Ahold is hurting me most at the moment. Bought more last week after the big drop, but it didn't recover yet. Sitting it out. At 3.5% dividend also, which is fine for me to just have it there for a long time if needed.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.

VHT is Healthcare, not Biotech, no?

I hold FBT which has been really good to me, too.

Natetan

I'm underwater with Apple stock now, and thinking about cutting some of my losses and dropping it in Tesla. Bad idea? Apple has a dividend and things could get better this year. Still Tesla seems to be doing better, but has less concrete basis for optimism...

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Tesla Said Close to Agreeing on Plan for China Production

Mentioned this months ago, but I think between the Tencent investment and Musk's meetings with party elite this is all but a given. I already doubled my position once this year, but I think I'm gonna give it one more bump and hope for the best.

My crazy prediction is eventually a Chinese company will buy Tesla, unless they merge with another automaker first like BMW. I also expect Musk to put less time on Tesla and more on SpaceX over time, and think a merger or buyout would happen at around that point.

Plot twist, I added Tesla stock to my motif. Only 5 percent though since it's one of twenty stocks. Still, I'm expecting that 5% to go to 0% in a year when Tesla stock goes belly up.

What happens when that 5% goes to 5,000% and you finally buy your yacht? How will you repay me for needling you until you finally bought into the next Apple?

Natetan

What happens when that 5% goes to 5,000% and you finally buy your yacht? How will you repay me for needling you until you finally bought into the next Apple?

Does Tesla have a dividend? The stock price is steady over 300. I guess they can divide shares, but not really sure how much more they can grow.

What the hell is a dividend? Is that the thing that GM and Ford pay their shareholders to not remotely come close to making up for how their stock has been stagnant for a decade?

Stock splits don't do anything for the business itself. The purpose of splitting the stock is simply to reduce the price of one share so more investors can afford to buy the stock. If you care greatly about this and want to bring new investors on board regularly, you will split your stock regularly like Apple does. If you don't give a fuck about whether investors can afford your stock or not, you'll be Berkshire Hathaway Class A shares which cost $255,000 per share.

The price of one share isn't consequential at all which is why companies are measured by the value of all shares floated on the market. This is of course the market capitalization. Tesla's market cap is roughly $60 billion. This might seem like a lot compared to say Ford and GM but it's piddly compared to the likes of Apple and Google.

Tesla is generally valued more like a tech company than a car company and so in terms of a tech company Tesla has a ton of room to grow even though their market cap has recently surpassed that of GM and Ford and they are now rather amusingly the most valuable American automaker by market cap.

If you think of Tesla as a tech company, then you understand why Elon Musk recently said he sees a way forward for Tesla to reach a $1 trillion market cap. If you agree with this, you should buy a lot of TSLA with as much options as you are allowed to leverage.

If you think of Tesla as a car company, you probably think it's absurd that Tesla has sold a total of 200,000 cars since it's founding but is more valuable than GM and Ford who sell a combined 14 million cars every year. If you agree with this, you should short as much TSLA as you are allowed to leverage.

Good luck either way.

What the hell is a dividend? Is that the thing that GM and Ford pay their shareholders to not remotely come close to making up for how their stock has been stagnant for a decade?
I get you are a Tesla fan, but if you bought Ford 10 years ago, it was $9 then. Now it is $11.21. With dividends you have a difference of $7,67. While not the greatest returns, it is still almost doubling your money. These are established companies, so no major growth is expected there and this is fine for people not wanting to take a lot of risk.

Maybesew

I get you are a Tesla fan, but if you bought Ford 10 years ago, it was $9 then. Now it is $11.21. With dividends you have a difference of $7,67. While not the greatest returns, it is still almost doubling your money. These are established companies, so no major growth is expected there and this is fine for people not wanting to take a lot of risk.

Similarly, i manage my father's account and I bought a bunch of MO for him back in 2013 and 2014 for the high dividend yield, since he's in his 70s and it made sense as a part of his portfolio. Our average price is $37, and it's now $77. It's more than doubled in price and that doesn't include the dividend yield of around 4-5% based on costs.

Mrbob

I love dividends for my etfs but for individual stocks I prefer growth. But I like to rebalance my stock holdings whereas I just perpetually buy and hold etfs.

If it goes to 5000% I can finally buy the Sony A1E OLED TV.

Top Bottom