• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stock-Age: Stocks, Options and Dividends oh my!

x3sphere

I've thought this from the beginning, but I see the entire crypto market going to around $1 trillion eventually. There will be other competitors so Bitcoin or Ethereum won't be getting all the market share but I do think a minimum of BTC $10K and ETH $1K is attainable, even as things get more diluted.

Obviously they are really risky investments, I really wouldn't advise anyone to buy ETH or BTC at this time given they seem to be in a bubble right now. Might be better to wait until things settle down.

We've had people saying Bitcoin was "in a bubble" since it was $100.

Uh huh.

I need to research how to buy cryptocurrency. I'm not going to put my entire portfolio into it but I don't see why a little socked away now wouldn't hurt. I might come back and look at it in 5-10 years and find out I'm a millionaire and I can retire now.

Maxximo

Uh huh.

I need to research how to buy cryptocurrency. I'm not going to put my entire portfolio into it but I don't see why a little socked away now wouldn't hurt. I might come back and look at it in 5-10 years and find out I'm a millionaire and I can retire now.

I'm doing the exact same thing, 30K now and if it goes the right way then fuck yeah if not it's not a big deal.

To keep them safe i bought a trezor, it actually looks like a good product.

sunofsam

I'm doing the exact same thing, 30K now and if it goes the right way then fuck yeah if not it's not a big deal.

To keep them safe i bought a trezor, it actually looks like a good product.
Same, 5k seed in Jan, tripled money in Feb and took out the seed to calm my wife.

Now at 35k and climbing. Trezor on the way.

dno_1966

Another recommendation for Trezor or something similar, for first-timers do not leave money on exchanges whatever you do. Good work on Ethereum sunofsam it's a really good project and you're going to make a lot money ;-)

Anyone here in Tencent? They seem to pretty much take over the internet in China. Nice returns this year on it already. Any thoughts or things I should be wary of before putting some money in it?

Maxximo

Anyone here in Tencent? They seem to pretty much take over the internet in China. Nice returns this year on it already. Any thoughts or things I should be wary of before putting some money in it?

Just out of curiosity since I'm also interested in Tencent to complement my BABA position...where are you going to buy it? HKSE?

x3sphere

Uh huh.

Your strategy is good.

Maybe bubble isn't the right term but what I meant is that it's in a hype cycle of sorts right now - many of the coins have been going up like 20%+ daily. Like the previous run up I think this one will deflate and it'll stabilize for awhile until the next move up - although that could happen well above the current price, who knows.

Anon67

For those who have a portfolio, are any of you using the modern portfolio theory to manage your assets? How are you quantifying how much risk you are taking up?

Bandini

It seems I did not pick a good day to buy TTWO. They announced Red Dead 2 is delayed and it's way down in post market trading. Earnings report is tomorrow morning so I guess we'll see what happens.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
It seems I did not pick a good day to buy TTWO. They announced Red Dead 2 is delayed and it's way down in post market trading. Earnings report is tomorrow morning so I guess we'll see what happens.

If it stays down, I am going to buy some tomorrow. Looks like a bargain price

Any suggestions on worthy European funds?
I'm in for the long haul. Starting with a 5K deposit, still unsure how to split them.
I'm in Daimler. BMW also seems pretty solid to me.

Other then that, I like Ahold. But just sold most of it today, since it is over 20 and I expect it to go back down again like it does a lot lately.

For financials, ING and NN Group maybe, I have my eye on them when they drop a bit.

Shell has great dividends, but it's oil and gas, so goes with the prices of those.

You can also just pick a index fund. I'm in a high dividend Eurostocks one that is doing pretty well for me this year. That is one I am just going to hold and continue to add a few hundred to every month if I can.

If it stays down, I am going to buy some tomorrow. Looks like a bargain price
They are already up a fair bit this year. What is your reason for the interest in them after a few percent drop now? I expect Read Dead to do well and GTA 5 to keep selling, they got NBA of course, but other then that, is the current value justified?

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
They are already up a fair bit this year. What is your reason for the interest in them after a few percent drop now? I expect Read Dead to do well and GTA 5 to keep selling, they got NBA of course, but other then that, is the current value justified?

This looks like a panic sell off. I expect it to recover soon enough.

Their earnings is tomorrow morning, its possible that they have good numbers but people are just selling because of RDR delay right now.

Bandini

This looks like a panic sell off. I expect it to recover soon enough.

Their earnings is tomorrow morning, its possible that they have good numbers but people are just selling because of RDR delay right now.

Yep, it's already back up to its closing price. Earnings in 20 min.

Bandini

lmao just checked.
Fuck me, premarket is at +0.5% from -10% after market

Yep, probably should have picked some more up when it dropped. When people panic, there's money to be made.

Big boost for Nokia (NOK) this morning after they settled their patent dispute with Apple and signed a new contract.

Usobuko

Banned

It's a little too high atm for me. Tencent core profit is still gaming atm but WeChat is very promising. Also, everyone outside of China partners up with them to sell their games domestically. Tencent is also a bit more active in VC compare to Alibaba. They backed quite a few SEA / India startups.

Tencent, Alibaba, all these China Internet stock are kinda similar to their American counterparts. Except

National Champions aka Monopolies? Check.

Venture Capitalists for domestic uprising startups that copied American ones ( Eg. Didi Kuaidi to Uber, 35 billion to 60 billion private valuation ) ? Check.

Homogenous Crowd and thus easier to innovate and comes up with more services / revenue streams related to their core business? Check.

I bought Tencent and Alibaba before but let them go too early although it's still a net positive for me the funds are relocated into a better place. For Alibaba, I bought when it was the most depressing period last year 3 times, let go at 108, bought again at 86, let go at 105.

Tldr: Very solid stock to hold for the long term, gains may not be as much as before but I believe it will still be above average. If I'm going in again, it will be when it dips.

Usobuko

Banned
I'm wondering when NVDA finds its top at this point.

Warren Buffett told me many years ago "Be fearful when others are greedy. Be greedy when others are fearful." This NVDA greed train is getting too crazy.

TSLA is the literal embodiment of the "RISK BIG, WIN BIG!" philosophy in the market. In 5-10 years, Tesla will either not exist or it will have a $1 trillion market cap. There is no in-between for them.

Buffet also says he regrets not going into Google, Facebook, Amazon because he stays by his rule of not investing in things he don't understand. But he laments he should have understand Google, afterall one of his company do business with it.

I don't understand tech much but I bought nvidia because it's a leader in many hot trends, everytime I read the paper I see so many tech giants wanna collaborate with it.

So I bought it and I remember your 200 dollar post whenever I wanna sell. No regrets, up 45% in 2 months+.

Melon Husk

Buffet has established his niche. He doesn't need more money. I think a modern Buffet would buy Netflix instead of Coca-Cola.

Anyway, let's see where FSLR goes in a week or two.

There's a reasonable chance that 140 was a local all-time-high for NVDA. Great company, but I'm not ready to play with it today.

tokkun

Bitcoin is high enough right now that I've heard people are going with Ethereum instead if they want to get into cryptocurrency.

What does this even mean, though? How do you judge whether a cryptocurrency is "high" when there are no fundamentals for valuation? I don't think you can even judge it based on arguments about traditional currency trading or historical values since it Bitcoin is inherently supply-limited.

Buffet also says he regrets not going into Google, Facebook, Amazon because he stays by his rule of not investing in things he don't understand. But he laments he should have understand Google, afterall one of his company do business with it.

I don't understand tech much but I bought nvidia because it's a leader in many hot trends, everytime I read the paper I see so many tech giants wanna collaborate with it.

So I bought it and I remember your 200 dollar post whenever I wanna sell. No regrets, up 45% in 2 months+.

Nvidia's future will be interesting. I'm not sure how they go about protecting margins in these hot areas like AI and automotive computer vision.

In consumer graphics and HPC, they can do this because buyers are not that cost conscious, incremental improvements in performance are valued by customers, and it is difficult for competitors to enter the market because the dominant APIs for interacting with the hardware are very complex and fairly vendor-driven (DirectX and CUDA / OpenCL).

However, the same is not necessarily true for AI and computer vision. The most popular language for development currently seems to be TensorFlow, which is open source and driven by Google. Will Nvidia really have a strong advantage with GPUs vs ASICs (which Google has already announced they are using with Cloud TPUs)?

On the automotive side, I wonder whether an unbounded amount of compute is really needed, so whether computing demands will plateau. If they do, what's to stop the market from becoming commoditized?

I actually do follow Buffett's principle and I also invest in things I feel I understand. It just so happens that what I know is tech and so I'm very tech heavy, though I also hold small stakes in non-tech things.

NVDA has been by far my biggest winner so far. I'm expecting great things from TSLA in the next 5-10 years though.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Anyone into DDD? Bought some shares today.

I have some from years ago, so I'm down like 60% on it. Used to be down 80% or so I think. Never bothered to cost average either, won't do so until it becomes a tiny fraction of my portfolio. No plans to sell though.

I have some from years ago, so I'm down like 60% on it. Used to be down 80% or so I think. Never bothered to cost average either, won't do so until it becomes a tiny fraction of my portfolio. No plans to sell though.
60% is a lot to recover.

But this industry is certainly going to be a big player in the future, so gradually shrinking it's portfolio size is probably the best way to go.

FSLR up almost +4% today.

+40% in the last month alone.

I'm currently -16,5%, so the stock still has to climb another +20% and I'm back in the green.

Meanwhile:

SoftBank Takes $4 Billion Stake in U.S. Chipmaker Nvidia, Sources Say

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...-take-4-billion-stake-in-u-s-chipmaker-nvidia

https://seekingalpha.com/article/4076083-softbank-bought-4-billion-stake-nvidia

I opened a small position in Ethereum at $162 a couple days ago and today it's $192.

I'm scared to put more actual money into this but there seem to be no signs the current upwards trend is abating. I suppose I could add a little bit more...

edit:

Sigh, top of the page and I'm not even talking about a stock here.

Uh, so how about that TMUS guys? John Legere is out there stabbing at Verizon again today. We know that Verizon reported they actually lost customers last quarter so T-Mobile is definitely doing something right and they have been up a lot with lots of room to grow.

Also I bought some NTDOY back around $30, it's up past $35 now. I guess I just love punishment. I need to know when to get out on this one, maybe 2-3 years into the Switch lifespan is a good time to think about taking profits and walking.

beta_fuse

I opened a small position in Ethereum at $162 a couple days ago and today it's $192.

I'm scared to put more actual money into this but there seem to be no signs the current upwards trend is abating. I suppose I could add a little bit more...

I want to join you but Kraken is taking long to verify my account. I'm missing out!

First Solar is up +7% today.

JMP upgraded them to "outperform" (probably the reason why it suddenly increased).

-15% for me now.

Getting closer to the green. A month ago I was like -40% lol.

dno_1966

bit of a correction in the alt coin markets overnight, it looked pretty bad when i went to bed last night but fortunately it wasn't too bad when i got up this morning.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Hey gang, potentially really stupid question incoming:

I have a decent amount in my savings account right now sitting there and I'm wondering if that money would be better suited sitting in some sort of conservative fund on Vanguard. Perhaps the money market settlement fund or something else?

I'm not looking to be risky with this specific savings account, but with a yield of 0.25 (or something incredibly low) for my current Wells Fargo savings account, I feel like I'd benefit more from having it sit somewhere else.

Back in oil. Trading this ETF in a certain range for almost a year now. Small returns every time, but it adds up. I should do larger transactions maybe, see how it goes.

Hey gang, potentially really stupid question incoming:

I have a decent amount in my savings account right now sitting there and I'm wondering if that money would be better suited sitting in some sort of conservative fund on Vanguard. Perhaps the money market settlement fund or something else?

I'm not looking to be risky with this specific savings account, but with a yield of 0.25 (or something incredibly low) for my current Wells Fargo savings account, I feel like I'd benefit more from having it sit somewhere else.
Are you already investing in index funds to track the market? If not, head over to this thread and see how they do it there: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=749978

If you just want to use that money to grow more, you want to track the market over time and will get solid returns. Just keep adding to it regularly.

If you have money left over and want to play around with it, look at individual stocks but know the risks.

Do not invest in a managed fund with high fees. Vanguard should have stuff under 0,10% probably and are a good one to use.

Bandini

For fucks sake, Trump is such an idiot.

Next month I'm going to start investing into "Euro Stoxx 600".

Yep, probably time to start moving more of those assets across the pond. Getting hosed today. I'm actually taking my biggest hits in emerging markets and materials, but I feel like the Trump Coaster is going to make a big descent sooner rather than later.

Mrbob

As long as the SP500 stays above 2400 it doesn't matter what Trump says...it's a technical breakthrough. As awful as Trump is he is actually concerned about stock market performance (heck, he even mentioned market performance in his climate speech) so my feeling is he'll do anything he can to keep it rising.

Curious to see if VEA is going to be able to push through all time highs of the last couple years. Went to 42.45 on May 2015 and 43.41 June 2014. Goes above 43.41 then that might be another technical breakout too and time to get more shares.

Top Bottom