• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Straight Black Men Are the White People of Black People

kirblar

To add, straight white male are completely dominant in the privilege they have among white people. I can't think of a single downside to being a straight male if you're white. Within black people, black males face their own unique challenges compared to other subgroups so I don't even think the comparison is apt
Difficulty working w/ kids because of the "male predator" stereotype, difficulty being believed if sexually assaulted because of that same stereotype.

Downsides definitely exist (and are important to acknowledge), but yes, the overwhelming number of advantages leaves you in a situation where "fear of losing privilege" is a pretty good way to explain why male minorities more openly identify as gay on surveys than white men- it's because the white men often have more to "lose" if they do.

The last line has me scratching my head. Is the author trying to say black men don't work as hard or don't provide for their families? I get the rest of the article, but that last bit had me confused.

Beefy

On the headline alone I thought the article would be about 'Straight Black Men are More Homophobic than Straight White Men', because in my experience I have found that mostly true.

Is that state side? Could it be because more black people are religious then white people there?

Don't black women face more hardships and take more shit from people than black men?
I mean, that depends on what constitutes a hardship for you. Black men are more likely to end up in prison, killed by police, less black men go to college than black women, etc. But black men are more likely to be represented and seen as attractive in the media, more likely to have their voices heard politically, are generally more visible in mainstream culture, there is much less of a stigma surrounding how their blackness makes them ugly like black women have to deal with.

As you can see from this comparison, this article's title is reductive and, frankly, stupid because there is no real benefit to playing this game of 'who is more oppressed' when black people are the most oppressed group of all (Native Americans too I guess, and they have a much smaller voice).

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Straight male privilege.
Thank all that is holy I was brought up in a strong female household as well.

Yea all this straight black male privilege I so richly enjoy.

Yeah I get my ass beaten like no other group but still get a nice dinner at the end of it(maybe), fucking thanks. Check out all this privilege don't you wish you had it as good as me?

You don't.

I think you are missing the entire point of the article. It is addressed to black people.

So you're post is essentially saying, "Hey black women don't you wish you could be a black man? You don't."

When I'm sure a good amount would want to benefit from the privilege of being a man.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
Stupid title, no offense OP as I'm assuming you didn't write the original article. There are obvious hierarchies. For example, straight black male is obviously top of the black totem pole and a black lesbian is somewhere near the bottom.

I think that is too simplistic. What if you prioritize economic prosperity? Or if you prioritize romantic opportunity? Physical well being (violence against you), physical well being (personal health)? It's not an easy scale for comparison.

I really encourage people to look into the origins of the idea of intersectionality - looking at an individuals many identities and how they can create compound disadvantage in particular cases (ie, liklihood of getting a job as a male vs female isn't entirely valuable when looking at the challenges a black woman is facing getting that job).

Cyframe

The content of the material has valid points but these clickbait titles, usually chosen by an editor, do people no favors when it comes to getting people to the table to discuss the politics of privilege. No one is going to read futher than the title.

Black women, for example, their role in supporting civil rights and spearheading organizations like the Black Panthers is woefully underepresented. Many can name a few Black male civil rights leaders, not many women, however. Also, the topic of domestic abuse isn't really taken as seriously as it should be in our community. The violence many Black women and Black LGBTQ members are intraracial (not to be confused with interracial).

A lot of things could be discussed but when you literally compare someone who is Black and calls them white, rather than gets to the point of the unique privileges that straight Black men have. I wish we lived in an era where most people read more than a title before giving an opinion but we don't. So, a good conversation essentially shelved before it happens.

The last line has me scratching my head. Is the author trying to say black men don't work as hard or don't provide for their families? I get the rest of the article, but that last bit had me confused.

I take that last line as a comment about how black women are considered the individuals pushing progressive movements that affects both black women and men.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
Privilege is a spectrum and simplifying it with a comparison to white privilege is just confusing.

Sad to see this thread going in the same direction as just about any thread discussing white privilege.

And the article title is fine, if you read the actual article instead of reading an excerpt and getting immediately defensive.

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog

That was my question as well and the reason I bolded it. Kinda strange...

This whole who is more oppressed than another shit is wack but I get what the article is trying to say and I agree

It's not wack. The Latino community, for example, has a troubled history of looking down on Afro Latinos. Privilege runs deep within a culture outside of white people.

I don't really understand this article.

Is he singling out black men in this instance because they should be more receptive to black women worries? Or is he saying that the misogyny and that kind of toxic masculinity is specific to black people ?

Fuchsdh

Is that state side? Could it be because more black people are religious then white people there?

That's been brought up in the past, although if we're talking specifically black men I don't think it's what people are talking about—as a whole they are less religious than black women. I think like with other groups (Latino men) it's more an issue with machismo/fear of looking 'feminine' that drives the toxic attitudes.

I think that is too simplistic. What if you prioritize economic prosperity? Or if you prioritize romantic opportunity? Physical well being (violence against you), physical well being (personal health)? It's not an easy scale for comparison.

I really encourage people to look into the origins of the idea of intersectionality - looking at an individuals many identities and how they can create compound disadvantage in particular cases (ie, liklihood of getting a job as a male vs female isn't entirely valuable when looking at the challenges a black woman is facing getting that job).

Sure, you can't boil down gender issues to one sentence without simplifying things. One thing I know is black women are getting that short end of the stick (both in society overall and their own community) which is a damn shame because they are the backbone of the black community.

Religious or not, a LOT of black guys(my dad included) will call anything remotely feminine "soft" or "sweet", and are paranoid that white culture is trying to take their masculinity(again). A lot of black dudes are overcompensating for a time not to long ago when white people forced them to be less then men.

TalonJH

Okay, yeah. I don't think most black men (that are politically minded) would disagree that it's hard to be a black woman or a gay black person. If you don't, you're not paying attention.

I don't really understand this article.

Is he singling out black men in this instance because they should be more receptive to black women worries? Or is he saying that the misogyny and that kind of toxic masculinity is specific to black people ?

I assume they don't think it's exclusive. They just want people to be mindful of others situations in the community.

I disagree. As other posters have already pointed out, Black Males specifically face a lot of challenges that males of other races usually don't.

I... guess? Seems very Oppression Olympics, but I figure it's obvious black women, gay black men, transgender black people, etc. have it worse than I do.

There's nothing wack with acknowledging that oppressed people can also be oppressors within their own communities.
I didn't say there was but I'm talking about the trend of people being unable to talk about being oppressed while seemingly almost making light of others oppression. I've noticed it a lot in the last couple of months but I don't want to diverge this topic from the main point because I do think this(article) needs to be said.
The authors don't often write the titles, editors do.

I think the article did better than these sorts of things usually do because it's structured as "black men have serious problems facing them, but let's not forget that there are problems that face minority women that don't get talked about as much, because they're women." It's a fine line between acknowledging who tends to have it worse and playing a game of Oppression Olympics, where everyone fights to see who's worse off to claim the moral high ground, but I don't think the article falls into that trap.
You are right. I'll admit my post was geared towards the title after looking more into the article

Another reason no one takes these articles seriously is because they're blatantly false.

On one hand you have some vague notion of "black women" have it so hard, and what not. On the other hand you have high rates of incarceration, terrible unemployment, terrible educational attainment, high rates of familial abandonment, law enforcement bias (on top of being black in general), and this is just a short list. I'll need to dig up that article that outlines all of this. There's no way being a black male is better than being a black female. At best they're equal.

To add, straight white male are completely dominant in the privilege they have among white people. I can't think of a single downside to being a straight male if you're white. Within black people, black males face their own unique challenges compared to other subgroups so I don't even think the comparison is apt

I mean, obviously there are some.
Try being a male kindergarten teacher and see parents so afraid of you being a pedophile, thus forcing the kindergarten to never allow only you to be present, and to make it forbidden to change diapers.
Just an example.

This topic really isn't that complex. Black straight men benefit from being both straight and a man.

Within their communities these benefits are even greater.

Those that are not straight or a man do not get these benefits.

This was brought up months ago on black twitter, got the ashy types hot

You can hear people rubbing their ashy elbows and ankles in here.

I didn't say there was but I'm talking about the trend of people being unable to talk about being oppressed while seemingly almost making light of others oppression. I've noticed it a lot in the last couple of months but I don't want to diverge this topic from the main point because I do think this(article) needs to be said.

How is this article making light of other oppressors?

Why aren't people able to have multiple conversations about oppression and privileged?

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
Sure, you can't boil down gender issues to one sentence without simplifying things. One thing I know is black woman are getting that short end of the stick (both in society overall and their own community) which is a damn shame because they are the backbone of the black community.

The short end of which stick? People don't all live the exact same lives, and there are going to be different aspects of life that are harder or easier for you if you are a black man or a black woman. I think you'll agree that there are different challenges between the two - so where is your heirarchy coming from? Are there more in a particular group? Is the severity of challenge in one group worse than the other?

Beefy

That's been brought up in the past, although if we're talking specifically black men I don't think it's what people are talking about—as a whole they are less religious than black women. I think like with other groups (Latino men) it's more an issue with machismo/fear of looking 'feminine' that drives the toxic attitudes.

Religious or not, a LOT of black guys(my dad included) will call anything remotely feminine "soft" or "sweet", and are paranoid that white culture is trying to take their masculinity(again). A lot of black dudes are overcompensating for a time not to long ago when white people forced them to be less then men.

Yeah, here in the UK we got dudes like that. But then we have shit like the Nottinghill Carni where a lot of bruvas and sistas go and there is always a lot of gay and drag queen black guys there. I guess I just haven't been around the toxic dudes.

Yes, more pigeon holes and categories is what we need.

This type of low tier shitpost does not benefit anyone, especially the black LGBTQ individuals and black women that deal with toxic masculinity. You should leave and reflect on your comment.

Try being a male kindergarten teacher and see parents so afraid of you being a pedophile, thus forcing the kindergarten to never allow only you to be present, and to make it forbidden to change diapers.
Just an example.

This is almost laughable compared to what many minorities go through. For example, steeping outside your house and fearing for your life and hoping you wont get shot dead for doing absolutely nothing wrong.

Difficulty working w/ kids because of the "male predator" stereotype, difficulty being believed if sexually assaulted because of that same stereotype.

Downsides definitely exist (and are important to acknowledge), but yes, the overwhelming number of advantages leaves you in a situation where "fear of losing privilege" is a pretty good way to explain why male minorities more openly identify as gay on surveys than white men- it's because the white men often have more to "lose" if they do.

Just an example.

Oh don't get me wrong, there are definitely some, especially the negative perception when working in certain fields (child care, healthcare if you aren't a doctor) and the things you mentioned. I just meant "white males" don't seem to have any specific, unique challenges they face unlike "black males" who have their own, on top of the ones they face for being male, and they far outweigh those

The short end of which stick? People don't all live the exact same lives, and there are going to be different aspects of life that are harder or easier for you if you are a black man or a black woman. I think you'll agree that there are different challenges between the two - so where is your heirarchy coming from? Are there more in a particular group? Is the severity of challenge in one group worse than the other?

Oh of course, there is no one size fits all, and clearly different things are harder for black men than black women. I'm looking at it from an economic/romantic perspective. If you want to rank it via likelihood to be put in jail or shot by cops yeah that a totally different story

Infinite

This was brought up months ago on black twitter, got the ashy types hot
I think they still mad 😂😂😂

I agree with the statement though as a black man myself. This statement especially applies to the hotep types or hotep adjacent who center Black liberation around Black Men while ignoring black femmes and black queer Identifying people.

Yeah, no. (Straight) black men also have the highest chance of being killed because of gang violence, going to prison, poor educational attainment, etc. In fact, black [women] are pretty much better of or equal in every measurable metric.

Black women have a high chance of being killed by straight black men

Cyframe

Okay. I don't think most black men would disagree that it's hard to be a black woman or a gay black person.

You'd be surprised. Homophobia is an issue in our community. The plight of Black women is undercut more often than not. A portion of Black men will cite violence that occurs to African Americans and not really knows that it includes women and lgbtq members.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
This type of low tier shitpost does not benefit anyone, especially the black LGBTQ individuals and black women that deal with toxic masculinity. You should leave and reflect on your comment.

I didn't catch the pre-edit post, but I still have this gem

C'mon y'all, you think we don't see this shit? Stones in glass houses

kirblar

Oh don't get me wrong, there are definitely some, especially the negative perception when working in certain fields (child care, healthcare if you aren't a doctor) and the things you mentioned. I just meant "white males" don't seem to have any specific, unique challenges they face unlike "black males" who have their own, on top of the ones they face for being male, and they far outweigh those
Oh, gotcha. Yeah, there aren't really any you're going to face because of that specific intersection within mainstream US culture. They're going to be shared.

Slayven

I think they still mad 😂😂😂

I agree with the statement though as a black man myself. This statement especially applies to the hotep types or hotep adjacent who center Black liberation around Black Men while ignoring black femmes and black queer Identifying people.
Rod from tbgwt still get shit tweets about it.

Yeah black women are often the backbone of movements in the black community but get erased from them or catch hell for it.

This is almost laughable compared to what many minorities go through. For example, steeping outside your house and fearing for your life and hoping you wont get shot dead for doing absolutely nothing wrong.

Maybe read what I was responding to.
What you're saying is true, terrible, but unrelated.
The question was about downsides of being a straight white man as opposed to, for example, a straight white woman.
Not a fucking contest. Just. A. Downside.
I really hate the implication that I'm trying to compare this to being killed as a minority.

Ah. Absolutely correct, can't think of anything contradictory at least.

This topic really isn't that complex. Black straight men benefit from being both straight and a man.

Within their communities these benefits are even greater.

Those that are not straight or a man do not get these benefits.

How is this article making light of other oppressors?

Why aren't people able to have multiple conversations about oppression and privileged?
You are right, in their own community being straight and male does give them privilege over black women. But that privilege largely ends once outside of their community, because being black supersedes all of that. Black women are undoubtedly the most oppressed group in American society, by virtue of being black and being women at the same time, along with issues that are unique to being a black women. That said, it's probably less safe to be a black man than it is to be a black woman. The message of the article, that black men should be aware of their straight male privilege, is a good one. But comparisons to white privilege are not useful.

I mean, yes, there's a point here and it did originate from Twitter. idk if this is the best place to make a splash with that title though.

Black women have a high chance of being killed by straight black men

Maybe, but black men still have a higher chance of being killed in general. Way higher than black women. Are you being serious? Given that men in general commit most of the crime what you're saying is likely true for Whites, Asians, Latinos and pretty much any demographic.

Top Bottom