• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Straight Right (Mass Effect 3 Wii U) porting AAA Square-Enix game to Wii U

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I have a hard time believing that it's Lightning Returns, given that that game uses a proprietary SE engine that likely hasn't previously had any English documentation. Is there evidence that this port is still in development? IIRC, Straight Right said it would be announced "soon" several months ago, so it's not inconceivable that it could have been cancelled based on poor sales of other third-party titles on the platform.

I was kind of wondering if it actually was Hitman since I don't remember them every announcing that wasn't coming to Wii U like they did with Tomb Raider, but then they canned it since they can projects fairly regularly at Square Enix these days.

It's probably not LR. If they were going to port that it'd either be in-house or from a Japanese studio. The game from SE in development is a western title - that's all I know for certain.

So my only other thought would be a late port of Hitman.

I was kind of wondering if it actually was Hitman since I don't remember them every announcing that wasn't coming to Wii U like they did with Tomb Raider, but then they canned it since they can projects fairly regularly at Square Enix these days.

Canned it?

Jburton

Banned
Maybe somebody asked this already but why are Square Enix not doing this themselves?

Is this not seen as a bad thing in so much as this work has been handed down to a port house?

It's obviously good that the game, whatever it is ... is being ported to the console.

(Trash) canned. It's another way to say canceled.

Haha I meant I never knew they were even considering it.

Maybe somebody asked this already but why are Square Enix not doing this themselves?

Because everyone in Japan is focused on the disaster that is FF14 and the western studios probably don't have the staff. At this point I'm starting to think its Tomb Raider because even with the denial it will probably happen i.e. Spector completely lying about Epic Mickey 2

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Because everyone in Japan is focused on the disaster that is FF14 and the western studios probably don't have the staff. At this point I'm starting to think its Tomb Raider because even with the denial it will probably happen i.e. Spector completely lying about Epic Mickey 2

Given how poorly Epic Mickey 2 turned out, it's completely feasible they ported it in the ~4-6 months since Spector made that statement.

Given how poorly Epic Mickey 2 turned out, it's completely feasible they ported it in the ~4-6 months since Spector made that statement.

Maybe also Heavy Iron sucks at porting/couldn't really grasp the hardware? Blitz did the PS360 version and they turned out well didn't they?

Do we have any idea when the 3rd Party ND is supposed to air?

Sadly no, my fingers are crossed for as early as this week; the investor meeting is this week, it'd make sense to send out more announcements, it's the time to appease shareholders is it not?

Taurus

If it was indeed Lightning Returns, that Miiverse list is pretty much spot on.
Yoshis-Land-Wii-U.jpg

So Metroid is Retro Studios project, Donkey Kong is something something, RE is RE Revelaitons HD, Final Fantasy 3 is FF XIII (Lightning returns)... What is Flipnote Studio? And which Metal Gear?

Roo

So... Lightning Returns seems highly unlikely
Hitman is canned
and Tomb Raider has been denied left and right by CD

I'll be disappointed if the game is indeed Sleeping Dogs =/

Just so we're clear, me saying Hitman was coming to Wii U and was canned was conjecture, not fact.

I made this conjecture because I don't remember Square Enix repeatedly denying Hitman was coming to the Wii U, whereas they have for Tomb Raider.

Didn't Hitman Absolution bomb hard?
it wouldn't surprise me... besides, from all the other IPs.. choosing Hitman?? For Wii U??

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Just so we're clear, me saying Hitman was coming to Wii U and was canned was conjecture, not fact.

I made this conjecture because I don't remember Square Enix repeatedly denying Hitman was coming to the Wii U, whereas they have for Tomb Raider.

Given that they could have had this contract as early as June, and it says "Short Term", Hitman would fit with that as well if they were going to target launch or shortly later.

ohlawd

So... Lightning Returns seems highly unlikely
Hitman is canned
and Tomb Raider has been denied left and right by CD

I'll be disappointed if the game is indeed Sleeping Dogs =/

heh I'd like it if it turned out to be SD.

Although tbh, I'm sure none of these ports are going to turn out to be worthwhile ventures anyway.

RedSwirl

Of the western games Tomb Raider would make the most sense since it isn't out yet, but since when have companies like this released Wii U ports with logic in mind? I wouldn't be surprised if it was Sleeping Dogs or Hitman.

Did they specifically say it was an already-announced Square Enix game though? Or give a release date for their port? If they didn't specify either of those things, there's a chance it may even be Thief 4.

Celine

Yoshis-Land-Wii-U.jpg

So Metroid is Retro Studios project, Donkey Kong is something something, RE is RE Revelaitons HD, Final Fantasy 3 is FF XIII (Lightning returns)... What is Flipnote Studio? And which Metal Gear?
wii-u-zelda-link-drawing.jpg

(only for small cutscenes)

MGS? Probably the Platinum developed one.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Of the western games Tomb Raider would make the most sense since it isn't out yet, but since when have companies like this released Wii U ports with logic in mind? I wouldn't be surprised if it was Sleeping Dogs or Hitman.

Did they specifically say it was an already-announced Square Enix game though? Or give a release date for their port? If they didn't specify either of those things, there's a chance it may even be Thief 4.

I'm not sure if I'd count something likely not coming out until Q1 2014 or later as short term, but I guess this is technically possible.

Did anyone ever even (publicly) ask about Hitman and Wii U ? No need to deny anything if you're not asked.

I have no clue actually.

The press didn't really ask about Wii U ports for almost any game.

farnham

Banned

Given that they could have had this contract as early as June, and it says "Short Term", Hitman would fit with that as well if they were going to target launch or shortly later.

Id like deus ex or sleeping dogs. Hitman.. Not so much..

But tbh tombraider is the only one that makes commercial sense (its a franchise that has healthhy sales and was released previously on wii)

Yoshis-Land-Wii-U.jpg

And where is Brad Pitt and Tom Cruise working for Nintendo?
lol

Maybe a FFXIII Collection?

XIII + XIII-2 at a discounted price just in time for Lightning Returns?

Then the question is, will Lightning Returns get ported to Wii U as well?

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
It probably won't be Lightning Returns. If it were they would have mentioned it and promoted the game along with the PS3 and 360 version to maximise their promotion budget.

EDIT: Didn't see Kagari's post.

Meelow

Banned
It probably won't be Lightning Returns. If it were they would have mentioned it and promoted the game along with the PS3 and 360 version to maximise their promotion budget.

EDIT: Didn't see Kagari's post.

Most of the Wii U multiplats we're announced after the PS3/360 versions.

Top Bottom