• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Straight Right (Mass Effect 3 Wii U) porting AAA Square-Enix game to Wii U

Was there some additional context to indicate that that quote was referring to an additional platform for the game, as opposed to unannounced features for the announced platforms?

Poyunch

Sleeping Dogs for Wii U? Man. I don't know if I'd double dip. There isn't really enough extra content to even justify a GOTY rebuy. Also it sucks people won't be able to just yell WEI MOTHERFUCKING SHEN all over Miiverse.

I guess I don't want Sleeping Dogs on Miiverse.

Fredrik

I want it to be Tomb Raider.
But who calls Tomb Raider "a well-known AAA Square-Enix title" when they're only the publisher and quite new to it too?
Nah, my guess is that it's a Final Fantasy or Kingdom Heart game, might even be a HD iteration of their DS or 3DS games.

Zoc

I'm less interested in ports of old games, and more interested in simultaneous releases of new ones.

With Tomb Raider apparently announced not to be on Wii U, and Thief 4 delayed to next-gen (does that mean a Wii U release or not?), I'm perplexed why so many developers are wasting time on old ports.

Alcibiades

I think old ports are fine if they do collections or are released at a reduced price, but $59.99 rushed ports are not the way to go.

Not sure what to think of a potential Square Enix title. Lara Croft would be great symbolically for the Wii U but the franchise itself hasn't been highly-regarded since the 90's. It seems like it is always getting a reboot or rebirth of some sort but never following through.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
I want it to be Tomb Raider.
But who calls Tomb Raider "a well-known AAA Square-Enix title" when they're only the publisher and quite new to it too?
Nah, my guess is that it's a Final Fantasy or Kingdom Heart game, might even be a HD iteration of their DS or 3DS games.

Tomb Raider is Square Enix's IP now. Its their title and they're not just the publisher since they also own Crystal Dynamics.

Square Enix now means Square, Enix and Eidos.

Pikma

Banned
Tomb Raider is Square Enix's IP now. Its their title and they're not just the publisher since they also own Crystal Dynamics.

Square Enix now means Square, Enix and Eidos.

They should call themselves SquarEidoNix now, wasted opportunity right there.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Something not yet released? Smart money is on Tomb Raider.

Late edition? I'd bet on Deux Ex: HR or Hitman.

Dartastic

I really want Tomb Raider to be on Wii U. I want to play pretty much all current gen games on my Wii U at this point. Devs are going to get better at making current gen games run well/better on this system, and the gamepad can offer some real interesting gameplay experiences.

Fredrik

I really want Tomb Raider to be on Wii U. I want to play pretty much all current gen games on my Wii U at this point. Devs are going to get better at making current gen games run well/better on this system, and the gamepad can offer some real interesting gameplay experiences.
Same here, I'm done with PS3 and 360, the generation was waaay too long imo, it has been time to move on for a long time.

EDarkness

After playing Batman and Darksiders 2 on the Wii U, I think I'm more interested in the convenience of having a map and such on the Wiipad than playing with the regular controller. Not only that, but playing Black Ops 2 with the remote is fun as hell. Yeah, I'd much rather have some of these games on the Wii U if possible.

Robin64

I really hope it's FFXIII. That would be slick with all the Paradigms as buttons on the Gamepad screen.

DonMigs85

In the unlikely chance it's actually FFXIII they're porting, how will they squeeze in everything from the PS3 version which used a dual layer Blu-Ray? Wii discs are so far just single layer right?
I hope they don't use the hideous FMV from the 360 version.

Fredrik

In the unlikely chance it's actually FFXIII they're porting, how will they squeeze in everything from the PS3 version which used a dual layer Blu-Ray? Wii discs are so far just single layer right?
Multiple discs?
But porting FFXIII now seems kind of stupid, it's an alright game from chapter 11 on but I would never rush out and buy it again or even recommend others to buy it. FFXIII-2 would be better, but it'll hardly sell in millions since everybody that likes FF probably already have it. The new FF Lightning game would be the best option, or the VS game.

Roo

Tomb Raider : Interactive boobs on gamepad edition

Shake the gamepad to see Lara's boobies bounce lol
But seriously it better be Tomb Raider. It's the only logical reason.
Wii got the last three TR games so it makes perfect sense from a financial standpoint

japtor

You forgot the other option: 50GB eShop download exclusive!

Multiple discs?
But porting FFXIII now seems kind of stupid, it's an alright game from chapter 11 on but I would never rush out and buy it again or even recommend others to buy it. FFXIII-2 would be better, but it'll hardly sell in millions since everybody that likes FF probably already have it. The new FF Lightning game would be the best option, or the VS game.
The only way at this point would be a FFXIII + FFXIII-2 + DLC Collection imo. Which they could follow with Lightning Returns at the end of the year.

Though if this happens, I expect SE will handle it in Japan. Straight Right's port is undoubtedly Tomb Raider or some other wrstern title.

Meesh

I remember there was a Gaffer who took a screen grab of some hidden Miiverse "menu mockup". That screen grab had a pretty nifty list of titles, most of which seem to be coming true and on that list Final Fantasy 3 is mentioned. Maybe the port is a FF3(6?)Remake?

amaron11

Banned
so no tombraider unless chrystal dynamics is just saying

"well WE are not making it"

http://www.nintendo-insider.com/2013/01/26/crystal-dynamics-cast-doubt-on-tomb-raider-wii-u-port/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjprTGzYtO0

starts at 6:30 mark

“I think something like the Wii U often asks you to do something unique, based on a unique interface so that’s something as a gamer I love but it’s something that you don’t want to do half-heartedly as a developer.”

This is the type of statement that makes me want to put my fist through a wall.

'We didn't make the game because we couldn't find a good use for the Wii remote' all over again.

I remember there was a Gaffer who took a screen grab of some hidden Miiverse "menu mockup". That screen grab had a pretty nifty list of titles, most of which seem to be coming true and on that list Final Fantasy 3 is mentioned. Maybe the port is a FF3(6?)Remake?

gah! one would hope- I would love it and hate it at the same damn time. (like i would for a chrono trigger remake)

Tenki

After all I've seen of the new Tomb Raider I'm not sure if that's worse. But...why would they even port the third game in a series to Wii U ? Makes little sense.

Wait, it's Square-Enix...

Ask EA and Mass Effect 3. At least this game would come along the PS360 versions, not a year late :lol

PetrCobra

My kid sister loves Lara. The only system she has access to right now is my kid brother's Wii U. So on that basis I hope it's Tomb Raider.

You really want your kid sister to play that game? I don't think it looks like a game for kids.

But yeah, let's hope it gets ported.

The only way at this point would be a FFXIII + FFXIII-2 + DLC Collection imo. Which they could follow with Lightning Returns at the end of the year.

Though if this happens, I expect SE will handle it in Japan. Straight Right's port is undoubtedly Tomb Raider or some other wrstern title.

I have a hard time believing that it's Lightning Returns, given that that game uses a proprietary SE engine that likely hasn't previously had any English documentation. Is there evidence that this port is still in development? IIRC, Straight Right said it would be announced "soon" several months ago, so it's not inconceivable that it could have been cancelled based on poor sales of other third-party titles on the platform.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
I have a hard time believing that it's Lightning Returns, given that that game uses a proprietary SE engine that likely hasn't previously had any English documentation. Is there evidence that this port is still in development? IIRC, Straight Right said it would be announced "soon" several months ago, so it's not inconceivable that it could have been cancelled based on poor sales of other third-party titles on the platform.

It's probably not LR. If they were going to port that it'd either be in-house or from a Japanese studio. The game from SE in development is a western title - that's all I know for certain.

Top Bottom