• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Strategic Butt Coverings - Tropes vs Women in Video Games

Gold_Loot

It's actually a good video but I would argue that art does imitate life.

Women wear form fitting and provocative clothing all day everyday. Women can do that as well. Power to anyone who's co fident on their physique and knows they got it.

The flip side is how scantily the you get generation is dressing. I am out exercising g everyday and see teens and late HS kids basically dress like hookers craving attention. This paints a broad stroke picture of how basically girls like attention and will dress or act in certain ways to get attention.

I work where I have to deal with customers all the time and women have a small but near universal habit of patting or stroking their backsides and many of my coworker throughout the years have pointed this out. I'm sure there's a name for this but I do think the same primitive principle applies to how men and women are conveyed in games.

Another running joke is how some women go into places of business or stores just to be seen. They look good and are dressed likes it's the princess ball and are just buying a pack of gum or a pencil (exaggerating).

It's a deeper psychology here and both men and women have these certain behavior traits. Men do wear baggoer clothing and women wear tighter clothes and also the short skirts. That's why I lead with art imitates life in the earlier part of my lost.

Does it paint an unfair broad stroke of women? Yes but reality and media and anyone who watches what we consume in games/movies/TV sees where the influence is coming from.

Then there's the obvious capitalization of men being horny toads and sex sells.

I have a longer take but I want to be clear that while I did think the video was rather well done, there is more to this than can be explained in a 6-8m video.

It's good discussion and I hope some are rationally open to salient points from each spectrum.
Working in retail I would second this. I've seen enough spandex , knee high boots and mini skirts to make these games look like child's play. And these aren't just kids. These are grown , mature women wearing this stuff.

You are literally doing what you accused me of. No one here has stated that sexuality isn't a part of life or that they want to take it away. On the otherhand, you're the one who has reduced women to objects meant to please you. Your immediate jump to the "feminists are militant" argument further leads me to believe you're probably not the kind of person worth taking seriously in any basic conversation.

Lol You're like talking to a wall. Please tell me where I said that "women are objects meant to please me"? Lol You see, your assumption in this regard is indeed a straw-man argument which proves my point about people like you: If someone says that he/she enjoys looking at women in yoga pants and notes the fact that some women actually enjoy that attention then somehow in your weird version of reality that somehow means that I view women entirely as sex objects and nothing else? This assertion is not only 100% wrong about me, but the fact you'd use such a flimsy argument betrays the fact that you have a mind which apparently doesn't understand nuance. It is possible to view attractive women sexually and still respect them. The fact that this is lost on you is mind-boggling.

Ekai

No, I didn't literally argue any such thing. What I said originally was an offhand comment made in an obvious tongue-in-cheek fashion noting the fact that some women do actually enjoy showing off or being admired for their beauty, which is an altogether different point than what you are falsely claiming I was making in order to justify your ridiculous assertion that you've somehow been "offended". What you've done is typical of your type and is a dangerous mode of overbearing political correctness... As well as being the very definition of a straw-man argument. The difference between us is I operate in reality. And you operate in some imaginary universe in your mind where ideas like overt sexuality and respect for women are mutually exclusive. Here's a hint: They're not. Now, kindly stop trying to win an argument by putting words or false assumptions on those who disagree with your over the top political correctness.

Yes, you did make that very debasing argument. You literally argued that women dress the way they do to only please you. Your resistance to any form of criticism and immediate decrying of "militant" or "politically correct" for daring to point out that women exist for more than your pleasure is telling. You are literally engaging in strawman arguments and false assumptions yourself by stating the things you continue to state. And you are continuing to lack all kinds of self-awareness while doing so.

You are quite literally arguing that people are demanding your butts be taken away, that "militant feminists" are running rampant against sexuality (which I'm not, nor is anyone else, all I'm asking is that you at all consider that women dress the way they do for more than your pleasure. which you continue to argue that that's all they do it for), etc. etc. Now, kindly stop trying to put words in my mouth and actually address me as a human being. I don't expect you to as you've already shown yourself to be quite the Gater but we'll see.

What is gamergate? I don't really follow this part of the gaming scene it seems.

GG is a sexist movement of bile that started late 2014 based on total lies, etc. and for a very long time was focused heavily on attempts to harass women out of the gaming industry. Or at the very least silence our voices. It's for the most part died down but it rears it's ugly head still whenever FF makes a video or whenever a woman/transwoman/minority man is outspoken about their experience in gaming or in the community at large.

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member
I hate her videos so much! It's just her attitude that bugs me. She pretends she's on some important mission to expose the video game industry, when all the context is really 'look at this sexual and/or misogynistic design choice, look at it!'. She will never achieve anything with this.

Take this butt thing for example. A female butt is nice to look at and are often emphasized in video games. Male butts not so much. Wow, I better make a 6 minute video about this huge issue with the money I cheated off people on the premise that I would actually do something culturally significant and not just pointless rant videos to YouTube.

I hate your post so much! It's just your attitude that bugs me. You pretend you're on some important mission to expose feminists ruining videogames, when all the context is really 'look at how I don't care about sexism, look at it!'. You will never achieve anything with this.

Jebusman

Banned
If you aren't good at games, there's nothing wrong with using lets plays or other assisted formats to criticize them. I'd be with you if she was talking about the gameplay of these titles but she largely isn't.

But I think there is more to gleam from personally playing a game than just the gameplay aspect of it. There is definitely a difference to how you are processing story, characters, dialogue, by being directly engaged with it rather than one step removed.

I don't think Undertale would have nearly the following and support that it does, or reverence from people, if they had "watched" the game through rather than played it. And people consider the gameplay the least enjoyable thing about that game! Part of the reason that game sucks you in is just feeling like you're inserted into this weird funky world, and you're making oddly personal connections to this varied cast of characters. When you're watching someone play it, the "player character" just becomes another character to watch. You lose all agency. There is no longer a personal connection.

I'm not trying to discredit Anita here. She can do her own thing and what works for her works.

But if she told me she had played through these games personally and still held these same complaints, I would hold that opinion just a little bit higher.

Unwanted

Neo Member
Just an FYI: This is the quickest way to get banned from these topics by utterly ignoring the subject on the OP.

1. She does enjoy gaming.
2. She doesn't play every game she shows in her videos.
3. She DOES play games and has a twitch account.
4. That has nothing, literally nothing to do with the points she makes, which you'd have to be blind to not see.

Wasn't saying she didn't was just very confused and wanted to know as I've never seen or heard of this woman before. Also I never said her points we're invalid but like somone else said. I think you perceive games differently when playing rather than watching or somone telling you about the game.

Lime

It's actually a good video but I would argue that art does imitate life.

[stuff].

Working in retail I would second this. I've seen enough spandex , knee high boots and mini skirts to make these games look like child's play. And these aren't just kids. These are grown , mature women wearing this stuff.

Both of you make the mistake of confusing actual people with actual agency with fictional female characters designed by designers intended to sell/titillate a presumed male audience.

It's not about art imitating real life, but most likely designers wanting to design sexy fictional women where the game goes to great lengths to show off their butts.

Both of you make the mistake of confusing actual people with actual agency with fictional female characters designed by designers intended to sell/titillate a presumed male audience.

It's not about art imitating real life, but most likely designers wanting to design sexy fictional women where the game goes to great lengths to show off their butts.

what is the difference between a representation of those real people with actual agency in a work of fiction, and a character that is explicitly designed to tittilate?

Are those real people unable to be represented in fiction without it being inherently problematic?

Ekai

Lol You're like talking to a wall. Please tell me where I said that "women are objects meant to please me"? Lol You see, your assumption in this regard is indeed a straw-man argument which proves my point about people like you: If someone says that he/she enjoys looking at women in yoga pants and notes the fact that some women actually enjoy that attention then somehow in your weird version of reality that somehow means that I view women entirely as sex objects and nothing else? This assertion is not only 100% wrong about me, but the fact you'd use such a flimsy argument betrays the fact that you have a mind which apparently doesn't understand nuance. It is possible to view attractive women sexually and still respect them. The fact that this is lost on you is mind-boggling.

Nah, I welcome positive sexuality and women being in charge of their own bodies. What I don't welcome is people like you who believe we are just there to please them. Sure, we like to look good. That doesn't mean we're only trying to do it for you or that we even have you in mind sometimes. That's what your first comment was entirely about and you haven't really changed that tune much. Your immediate jump to "militant" and "PC" without at all taking into consideration my words is just even more telling really. You are 110% participating in exactly what you accuse me of here. Your refusal to address my actual words and continuing nature of debasing insult after debasing insult is enough for me at this point.

I hate her videos so much!....
Dude, you don't...

If I get banned for this offensive message I would like to request it be a permaban.

... well now.

How can a persons irk people so much they'd rather be forbid from discussing than to contemplate that persons opinions? This is ridiculous.

Guys, it's a video showing butts. We should be posting gifs of ridiculous buts and doing absurd comparisons. We should be talking about different cases where butts were displayed in one way or the other. We should be laughing in unison when someone creates a gif about the reactions in the topic.

Instead some people here are questioning someone's right to be making a video about butts.

What's happened to you internet? You used to be so cool.

sensui-tomo

Dude, you don't...

... well now.

How can a persons irk people so much they'd rather be forbid from discussing than to contemplate that persons opinions? This is ridiculous.

Guys, it's a video showing butts. We should be posting gifs of ridiculous buts and doing absurd comparisons. We should be talking about different cases where butts were displayed in one way or the other. We should be laughing in unison when someone creates a gif about the reactions in the topic.

Instead some people here are questioning someone's right to be posting a video about butts.

What's happened to you internet? You used to be so cool.

I kinda thought this would turn into a prison school thread ... but that seems to only be on the DOAx thread. But hey if people get irked enough to want a ban, let them.

Orayn

what is the difference between a representation of those real people with actual agency in a work of fiction, and a character that is explicitly designed to tittilate?

Are they unable to be represented in fiction without it being inherently problematic?

If you're talking about film, an actor can choose their role and has some control over what they will and won't do when performing it. A character acts purely on the whims of their creator.

I hate your post so much! It's just your attitude that bugs me. You pretend you're on some important mission to expose feminists ruining videogames, when all the context is really 'look at how I don't care about sexism, look at it!'. You will never achieve anything with this.
Your accusation that I don't care about sexism is pretty rude. I honestly believe the presentation of fictional female butts in videogames is not a worthwhile topic in the scope of feminism/equal rights. Real world examples like cheerleaders/grid girls are something that I actually see kinda in a bad taste, and there have been good decisions on that front lately.

You are right that I will never achieve anything with posts on NeoGAF. But I'm not really trying to.

Gold_Loot

Kind of like the clothing line women use to show off their butts to tittalate male audiences?

Maybe having a female designer to dress these characters would make it OK? Or no?

Warewolf

mz7te.gif

shKcQUS.gif

stufte

If you're talking about film, an actor can choose their role and has some control over what they will and won't do when performing it. A character acts purely on the whims of their creator.

What about the cases where voice/motion capture artists are used?

I hate her videos so much! It's just her attitude that bugs me. She pretends she's on some important mission to expose the video game industry, when all the context is really 'look at this sexual and/or misogynistic design choice, look at it!'. She will never achieve anything with this.

Take this butt thing for example. A female butt is nice to look at and they are often emphasized in video games because the majority of the players are male. Male butts not so much. Wow, I better make a 6 minute video about this huge issue with the money I cheated off people on the premise that I would actually do something culturally significant and not just pointless rant videos to YouTube.

If I get banned for this offensive message I would like to request it be a permaban.

Bye.

I'm just talking about her thoughts on this video, since she outright says she doesn't think the solution is to sex up more male characters, and only encourages devs not to sex up female characters.

I think we need more sexy man butts, and less sexy female butts. We need sexy butt parity, but it shouldn't be wall to wall sexy butts in every game. It should be a minority of games.

She often brings out Lollipop Chainsaw as an example (and I get why, absolutely) but that's the sort of game we want to keep. Something which is overtly what it is, there if you want it. The problem is that almost every female protagonist in gaming presents like a baboon, and almost no male characters do.
I think it was in the context of the amount of current assification (I just made up that word) of women. As in, it wouldn't be a solution to show as much male butt as devs currently show female butts.

That doesn't mean showing a little more male butt would be bad or anything. I'm just guessing what she's thinking though.

It's amazing watching even just a minute of that video then checking out that latest SF5 costume thread. I actually in general really don't care for Anita's stuff but I think she's right about the average portrayal of women visually in a lot of big games.

I would say it's a reasonable case to make that in a fighting game it's a little worrying that the devs are taking this much time to make a character more appealing from a sexual perspective than making them look like some sort of character you'd want to be as a fighter. Like yeah one or two I can get that but it's damn near the entire cast of girls so far have so much attention to their tits and ass it's ridiculous.

fernoca

Just an FYI: This is the quickest way to get banned from these topics by utterly ignoring the subject on the OP.

1. She does enjoy gaming.
2. She doesn't play every game she shows in her videos.
3. She DOES play games and has a twitch account.
4. That has nothing, literally nothing to do with the points she makes, which you'd have to be blind to not see.
Then thanks for answering and read my previous post too.

Is not a random post I made it was part of another post I made on which I agreed with her but wondered that.

Like one of my favorite games P.N.03.
Is a game that is always diminished in here and everywhere and reduced to that "shaking her butt.gif".

Yet many ignore that her animations aside being done by hand and not motion captured, were done that way to serve as a contrast between the lifeless backgrounds, the cyber enemies and the only human being in there.

Heck, I'm gay. So is not like I play to salivate over this kind of thing.

There are many examples of ridiculous choices in clothing and camera angles but some very few cases serve a purpose other than just being there.

No, let me better illustrate what I'm saying:

A woman in real life has agency, and can choose how she sexualizes and expresses herself.

If a story is written about that same woman, is that story inherently problematic because that now fictional woman does not have real world agency (the agency now belonging to the author)? Can that woman be represented?

Take this butt thing for example. A female butt is nice to look at and they are often emphasized in video games because the majority of the players are male. Male butts not so much. Wow, I better make a 6 minute video about this huge issue with the money I cheated off people on the premise that I would actually do something culturally significant and not just pointless rant videos to YouTube.

I'd like to request you be perma-banned as well so I don't have to bother writing a rebuttal to this comment.

Eidan

Haha, I always knew about the emphasis on women's butts in games, but the strategic butt coverings on men was something I never noticed. It's hilarious.

Bluenoser

Games over-sexualizing female asses isn't exactly a groundbreaking observation. Is Anita running out of things to talk about? The people who have funded the Tropes vs Women project deserve better than a 6:37 video dealing with a widely known issue.

I realize that the covering of male butts is also part of this video, but that issue, by her own admission isn't applicable to all games, just some.

Jebusman

Banned
i find this extremely hard to believe

Someone with all of 10 posts signed up in the last year. If you had zero connections to gaming media in any way, shape or form, you could have zero knowledge of Anita, GG, or anything that has happened in the last year.

I'm in a room of self admitted nerds who all play video games of variety complexity and age, and not a single one could identify Anita or Gamergate by name, picture, example, anything.

Vice

Her videos have had an inpct on the idistry though. She hasn't cheated anyone out of money since she's doing exactly what she said she would, in the stye she's used for years, on the Kickstarter.
She's accomplishing everything she set out to and more. You can dislike it, but there's no need to pretend she's some scammer who hasn't done a thing.

Games over-sexualizing female asses isn't exactly a groundbreaking observation. Is Anita running out of things to talk about? The people who have funded the Tropes vs Women project deserve better than a 6:37 video dealing with a widely known issue.

I realize that the covering of male butts is also part of this video, but that issue, by her own admission isn't applicable to all games, just some.
people in this very thread are denying the very existence of any issue. also you have to keep track taking about problems, even obvious ones, if there is ever going to be any hope of changing things.

Lime

Are those real people unable to be represented in fiction without it being inherently problematic?

No, you're simplifying the issue. It is possible to represent sexy female butts without it being problematic. But it's about context and presentation. Anita touches on this in the video by saying that simply showing the butt isn't enough - contextualization and justification are needed to flesh out why the character chooses to dress as such (or why the game continues to emphasize her butt).

Besides the qualitative aspect of contextualiatization of sexy female butts, you also have the quantitative challenge of how many sexy female butts there constantly are in so many products over and over again.

Kind of like the clothing line women use to show off their butts to tittalate male audiences?

No, these are not the same. While there is merit in discussing female butt design in fashion and clothing lines, there is still actual human beings who choose (ideally) for themselves what to wear and buy. This is not the same as a fictional female character wearing spandex or thongs or tight swimsuit to show off their neatly sculped 3D butt.

Maybe having a female designer to dress these characters would make it OK? Or no?

No, that doesn't matter that much. Of course the intention of the designer should be included, but the gender of the person doesn't necessarily mean that designing yet another sexy female butt in a video game where the camera oggles on it is not-bad. Context matters in determining whether or not something can be criticized for contributing to further skew the sexist status quo against women in games.

Unwanted

Neo Member
Someone with all of 10 posts signed up in the last year. If you had zero connections to gaming media in any way, shape or form, you could have zero knowledge of Anita, GG, or anything that has happened in the last year.

I'm in a room of self admitted nerds who all play video games of variety complexity and age, and not a single one could identify Anita or Gamergate by name, picture, example, anything.

This person gets me.

Warewolf

Haha, I always knew about the emphasis on women's butts in games, but the strategic butt coverings on men was something I never noticed. It's hilarious.

I was blown away by the covers for Just Cause 2 and Uncharted, I never noticed how conveniently hidden their derriere's are in those images, it's just pathetic, that's just bad graphic design. And it looks hysterical up against the female rear pose equivalents, like a bunch of school boys designed it or something.

sensui-tomo

i find this extremely hard to believe

To play devil's advocate here, I'm sure none of my co-workers ever heard of her, or hell anyone who doesnt go on gaming sites or forums but still plays games. Unless they watched that episode of the colbert report (unless she had other interviews which i'm not entirely sure happened or not since i dont watch tv that often) But to be on gaf and not know (unless you just signed up) would make it Extremely unlikely. She isnt well known outside of game enthusiast outlets. A shame none the less.

Lime

Yeah, the covering up of male butts made me laugh. Especially the Star Wars game when that came up.

Anita should relax a bit more though, her delivery of the jokes about Batman's cape was kinda stilted (for a lack of a better word). But I understand why it's hard for her to relax with all the bullshit.

Then thanks cor answering and read my previous post too.
Is not a random post I made it was part of another post I made on which I agreed with her but wondered that.
Well, I was only commenting on the exact part where you said she didn't play games. I had no comments on any other of your comments. And I only clarified because it's a pervasive rumour that gators usually cling from, for whatever reason.

Is a game that is always diminished in here and everywhere and reduced to that "shaking her butt.gif".
Well dude, you have to give credit where it's due. I played the game a decade ago and my biggest memory of it is...

av18DZ7.gif

... and that's not a bad thing really, like you said, it's a design choice. I liked it back then, still find it amusing today.

I think you perceive games differently when playing rather than watching or somone telling you about the game.

True, that's why it's always worth discussing certain views about games that we hadn't noticed before, and Sarkeesian deals with certain ones that are quite interesting.

aeolist

Banned

Trust me when I say that gaming is a very minute thing in my life so I'm not very up to date on who's who and what's controversial.

just fyi it's also the calling card of the type of person who wants to troll threads like this. please take this as some friendly advice and be judicious with your posts and try to word yourself so as to avoid misunderstandings, otherwise you might see some people jump the gun and dogpile the shit out of you.

No, you're simplifying the issue. It is possible to represent sexy female butts without it being problematic. But it's about context and presentation. Anita touches on this in the video by saying that simply showing the butt isn't enough - contextualization and justification are needed to flesh out why the character chooses to dress as such (or why the game continues to emphasize her butt).

Besides the qualitative aspect of contextualiatization of sexy female butts, you also have the quantitative challenge of how many sexy female butts there constantly are in so many products over and over again.

I agree with all of this, I was only challenging the "fictional women have no agency and are different from real women" statement.

Then thanks for answering and read my previous post too.

Yet many ignore that her animations aside being done by hand and not motion captured, were done that way to serve as a contrast between the lifeless backgrounds, the cyber enemies and the only human being in there.

Heck, I'm gay. So is not like I play to salivate over this kind of thing.

There are many examples of ridiculous choices in clothing and camera angles but some very few cases serve a purpose other than just being there.
I'm actually surprised she didn't feature P.N.03 in this video. One of the unlockable costumes is a g-string.

Great game btw.

I was blown away by the covers for Just Cause 2 and Uncharted, I never noticed how conveniently hidden their derriere's are in those images, it's just pathetic, that's just bad graphic design. And it looks hysterical up against the female rear pose equivalents, like a bunch of school boys designed it or something.

Same here.

Good video!

just fyi it's also the calling card of the type of person who wants to troll threads like this. please take this as some friendly advice and be judicious with your posts and try to word yourself so as to avoid misunderstandings, otherwise you might see some people jump the gun and dogpile the shit out of you.

yeah exactly

we can't be blamed for blindly assuming things

Unwanted

Neo Member

Thanks for the heads up but I don't think the wording of any of my posts sound like trolling at all, but my lack of knowledge on the topic is probably what made you think that?

To be clear, the issue isn't that your "message" is offensive. It's that it is utterly closed-minded.

Take this for example:

A female butt is nice to look at <snip> Male butts not so much.

Would a heterosexual female agree with you? Would a homosexual male or female agree with you?

Would anyone seeking to identify with a character in a story's progression give a shit either way?

Diminishing this as a "pointless rant" and "this butt thing" isn't in any way offensive; it's an approach to a conversation that seeks to close off avenues of discussion before they exist.

EDIT: Disregard. The person was, in fact, banned.

And yet, little progress has been made.

I'd argue that simply not letting this matter die is way more important than finding something edgy, or looking for things to talk about.

Ekai

Thanks for the heads up but I don't think the wording of any of my posts sound like trolling at all, but my lack of knowledge on the topic is probably what made you think that?

Sometimes the Gaters, trolls, etc. will pretend to not know anything to then go into "just asking questions" mode where they don't care to honestly discuss the topic and instead just try to insert their talking points. Not saying you did that, just that's an explanation.

aeolist

Banned

yeah i don't think you're trolling it's just a very consistent pattern that's happened where posters start out very benign and "ignorant" and eventually start saying things like "well i read some articles" and linking breibart hit pieces or kotakuinaction

Wulfram

You shouldn't need to justify basically normal, every day clothes though.

Sagely

Regarding the comments about art imitating life, women flaunting their bodies and whatnot...it's important to remember that women are still largely valued by their sexual attractiveness. Of course I'm not speaking for all women, but the fact that we sometimes feel empowered by looking sexy doesn't actually give us any power and doesn't make the constant sexualised depictions of females okay.

It may be true that women's fashion can accentuate the sexual aspects of our bodies, but that doesn't mean it should be accepted as the norm and remain unchallenged. Sex positivity is a great thing, but with sexual politics being what they are we simply can't ignore the fact that women are still very much considered sexual objects, even when this is portrayed in more subtle ways like in women's fashion and beauty culture.

This is a really tricky subject and there are a lot of factors involved, so I'm probably not articulating my point that well. As such I actually agree with those who think there should be a bit more male sexualisation/objectification (and less such treatment of females this way) to even things out. Ideally we'd have a breadth of material in our entertainment - some sexualised, some not, but definitely less slanted towards a particular demographic than it is right now.

Top Bottom