• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Streaming: The first 2 hours of Sunset Overdrive

Status
Not open for further replies.
Correct me if I am missing something.
Yeah, a sense of humor.

Honestly, I've never seen any real serious bitching about the barrage of grim-dark antihero shit we get with most AAA games, but most people hate it when you try to be cynical and lighthearted about that shit in a game, I guess.

Dabanton

Pre loaded my copy this afternoon and now can't wait until next week.

Quite frankly there is no game so far this gen like this, and no game coming out for the rest of the year like it, so for me personally it will be very entertaining to play. The JSR vibes it gives off are too strong.

Did you seriously just say you don't play game to have fun?

Good grief, might be time to stop playing games...

I need a better motivation than just "fun" for this genre.

Similar sandbox games like GTA, RDR, inFamous have pretty good story. Even Saint's Row, similarly not taking itself seriously, has good story with amazing character interactions.

The humor does fall a bit flat at times but I think it fits the game pretty well. Were it up to me, maybe I'd tone it down a bit with the jokes, but it's fine as is

I need a better motivation than just "fun" for this genre.

Similar sandbox games like GTA, RDR, inFamous have pretty good story. Even Saint's Row, similarly not taking itself seriously, has good story with amazing character interactions.

the fuck

That's proof right there that all this is subjective and not even worth arguing about

GTA and infamous do have pretty good stories. they make you want to see what happens next. Sunset Overdriv seems very shallow in that regard from what we can see here.

Meh, I never felt a need to see what happens next in GTA V. I beat it because the missions were fun (I found the story random and boring). And Infamous wore me out after like 2 hours. Sunset Overdrive at least looks mildly amusing to me.........those fetch quests tho :\

Relativ9

Is it me or does the gameplay have a strange flow to it? I get that they need to help the player along somewhat by snapping him to surfaces and auto-aiming, but seeing both the player character and the camera jump around like that felt really jarring. And strangely enough for a game that moves this quickly the movement felt kind of sluggish at times, like I would expect him to go a lot faster on those rails to justify the rail-grinding effect.

It might just be my mind trained by other games to expect semi-realistic movement and physics in a game with these kinds of powers (infamous/crackdown), but to me everything in this just feels off somehow.

Exile20

Yeah, a sense of humor.

Honestly, I've never seen any real serious bitching about the barrage of grim-dark antihero shit we get with most AAA games, but most people hate it when you try to be cynical and lighthearted about that shit in a game, I guess.

That type of humor can only last for so long and for me it got to be a bore, especially since we were seeing this game for over a year now.

quetz67

Banned
I am definitely too old for this. Can't stand all the jumping and grinding, hope this doesn't become a standard. Not very diverse design in those 2 hours and world feels so lifeless. Nice monsters, weapons and other cool ideas, but feel a little overconscientious and probably becomes repetitive fast.

Jaxx

Banned
GTA and infamous do have pretty good stories. they make you want to see what happens next. Sunset Overdriv seems very shallow in that regard from what we can see here.

GTA has good stories, tons of personality and great gameplay. inFamous has had mediocre-to-OK stories and dreadfully repetitive gameplay/missions, which is what killed those games for me. It's weird that you're judging Sunset's story without ever having played through it.

Jomjom

Banned
The irony to me is that we are all on a forum where people repeat the same memes about a billion times and the same references a billion more, yet there are people complaining about the game "trying too hard" to be funny and cool.

That type of humor can only last for so long and for me it got to be a bore, especially since we were seeing this game for over a year now.

Different strokes, but I'm not judging it on a measly hour of streaming...which makes it a completely different experience than actually playing when you then actually listen for the game mission and instruction/tutorial-giving that you have to be responsible for. It's a goofy, fun, self-aware slant on what most other games end up slathering with the usual dollops of self-serious, humorless 'drama'. But, hey, I'm already sold on it for the gameplay and tone, so I guess I'm not in the same boat subjecting myself to watching others' playthroughs to find a reason to care or get off the fence.

nded

The irony to me is that we are all on a forum where people repeat the same memes about a billion times and the same references a billion more, yet there are people complaining about the game "trying too hard" to be funny and cool.

Yeah, but forum members don't charge me money to read their posts for 10-20 hours.

Exile20

I am definitely too old for this. Can't stand all the jumping and grinding, hope this doesn't become a standard. Not very diverse design in those 2 hours and world feels so lifeless. Nice monsters, weapons and other cool ideas, but feel a little overconscientious and probably becomes repetitive fast.

I feel the same way. Other than the weapons which isn't anything new. I played Loadout, those weapons remind me so much of that game

Different strokes, but I'm not judging it on a measly hour of streaming...which makes it a completely different experience than actually playing when you then actually listen for the game mission and instruction/tutorial-giving that you have to be responsible for. It's a goofy, fun, self-aware slant on what most other games end up slathering with the usual dollops of self-serious, humorless 'drama'. But, hey, I'm already sold on it for the gameplay and tone, so I guess I'm not in the same boat subjecting myself to watching others' playthroughs to find a reason to care or get off the fence.

Whether i see it being played or play it myself the humor is the same. Glad you enjoy it but I thought this game was going to sell me on an Xbone. Oh well.

Is it me or does the gameplay have a strange flow to it?

It takes a bit to get used to. For the first few hours I wasn't really feeling it, but once you unlock two more movement abilities, it becomes a lot better (and you also have more practice with the controls).

E92 M3

I think if they released a demo it would have shown confidence in their product and done wonders for the game. Some of the best games from last generation had demos associated with them.

cakely

is this the first game in awhile where there is a ton of gameplay footage before launch? wish more games did this...instead of the limited previews and embargoed reviews approach

Destiny had an alpha and beta that was essentially the entire first planet many months before the game came out.

cakely

Humor's pretty subjective and not everyone's going to be into it.

Humor is definitely subjective.

Personally, I thought "Portal" was one of the most genuinely funny games I ever played.

Then again I couldn't stop laughing after "that scene" from the Lost and the Damned so it may be just me.

Whether i see it being played or play it myself the humor is the same. Glad you enjoy it but I thought this game was going to sell me on an Xbone. Oh well.
I guess I just don't care about most game's attempts to create a serious tone with their world-building and characterization in dialogue when it's mostly just a flavored method of delivering objectives and teach the player basics that relate directly to the game. By the middle or end of a given video game campaign, the story usually proves to be disappointing or not worth following, anyway. I mean, I'd rather have a refreshing take on things than the other AAA stuff that has released or is about to. For me, I guess I just tune out the uninteresting stuff to get to the point of the game's communication with the player in most titles, so a game going for cynical humor over the usual dry, joyless drama tends to make things more interesting if nothing else. It just doesn't offend and I appreciate their effort to not bother buying into the now-standard movie-game approach.

E92 M3

Humor is definitely subjective.

Personally, I thought "Portal" was one of the most genuinely funny games I ever played.

Then again I couldn't stop laughing after "that scene" from the Lost and the Damned so it may be just me.

Portal 2 was genuinely hilarious! Rockstar also nails humor - the GTA V TV shows are great.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
I think if they released a demo it would have shown confidence in their product and done wonders for the game. Some of the best games from last generation had demos associated with them.

It's a bit hard to demo when it takes so long to build up all the knowledge of the game and world to get it to click. We discussed it a lot.

But honestly, we were really just trying to get the game finished and out in time. Now that we've accomplished that, who knows!

E92 M3

It's a bit hard to demo when it takes so long to build up all the knowledge of the game and world to get it to click. We discussed it a lot.

But honestly, we were really just trying to get the game finished and out in time. Now that we've accomplished that, who knows!

I understand; I am 95% sure I will love the game - just wanted to test out the controls. Wanting a demo is not a dig against the game some of my all time favorite games (Bioshock, Crackdown, Jet Set Radio, Final Fantasy 8, etc) had demos that I could preview. If you guys can make it happen, that'd be great.

Danomeon

Neo Member
I was really excited for this game when the first trailer hit, mainly because the idea of a super-colorful third person shooter with some fun multiplayer and a lot of crazy environment traversal mechanics sounded right up my alley. I'm still tentatively hopeful, but some of this gameplay has me a little worried.

Does it seem a little slow to anyone else? The grinding in particular is too sluggish for the speeds that the premise of this game seem to imply.

I'm still holding out for this one, I think I'll wait until the embragos are up to read what people think of it. I'll definitely plonk some money down if it sounds like fun.

abadguy

Banned
I was really excited for this game when the first trailer hit, mainly because the idea of a super-colorful third person shooter with some fun multiplayer and a lot of crazy environment traversal mechanics sounded right up my alley. I'm still tentatively hopeful, but some of this gameplay has me a little worried.

Does it seem a little slow to anyone else? The grinding in particular is too sluggish for the speeds that the premise of this game seem to imply.

I'm still holding out for this one, I think I'll wait until the embragos are up to read what people think of it. I'll definitely plonk some money down if it sounds like fun.

Been watching most of the streams for this and nothing seems even remotely "sluggish" about any of the traversal.

Yeah, I don't get the sluggish movement complaints. Looks fast enough to me.

I've been mostly avoiding streams as I'd rather experience the game fresh. Just dropped in on one for five minutes though and thought it looked really fun. Hype rising as the launch approaches.

One thing that stuck out for me. The streamer I was watching had a black Rastafarian character, and the dude bro male voice sounded hilariously odd coming from that character. I guess it's hard to expect multiple voice actors for the entire game.

I can see why people were excited for it.. But it looks like it'll get old to me

I've never been able to get that sense, considering the size of the map, the increase in enemy variety, and the leveling of amps and weapons.

I think it's fair to say playing (and seeing) the first two hours of the game over and over could get old but there's nothing in any of the interviews or dev comments that support the hypothesis that the game stays exactly the same after that.

This comment is really mystifying to me in regards to this game.

deejay8595

my posts are "MEH"
Something seems off about this game for some odd reason. The grinding seems as if it will become repetitive and there really isn't a clear mission structure.

Something seems off about this game for some odd reason. The grinding seems as if it will become repetitive and there really isn't a clear mission structure.

Isn't grinding just running or jumping in any other game?

I'm sure I just sound like someone blinding defending this thing, but there are conclusions floating around that I literally can't imagine being drawn from just watching the first two hours of the game.

Why is everyone complaining about the humor in the game? Lol are people just trollin
Insomniac's humor really depends on tastes. I honestly find it funny such as the "silently judging me" line. The guy on the radio (Floyd) reminds me much like DJ Professor K.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom