• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V: A Shadow Falls Review thread

Gbraga

I wasn't forced to download the story content, and so I didn't, and saved my precious HDD space.

I give it a 10/10 for that reason.

VariantX

Only thing I really disliked was the loading between every fight. Battle transitions should have been seamless between the cutscenes other wise, what would be the point in making them real time if you cant take advantage of it.?

Xevren

Gief was kinda funny, but it was meh to me overall. Though I've yet to play a story mode in a fighter that felt like it was worth playing.

You think this took itself way too seriously?

Exact opposite for me especially that final chapter where it turns into the Avengers.
Yes, it did take itself too seriously. Zangief breaking Katanas moments should be happening every 10 mins. Instead, it's the only cool moment in the entire story.

Also, Avengers is actually entertaining and funny. SFV is just boring.

Imo, it was a first attempt that came out ok than expected. Like the Uproxx review said, it has heart. I'd say it's as entertaining as the other SF animes.

HardRojo

It was OK. Hopefully they'll release another chapter that goes into the actual SF III side of the story, along with returning characters.

Gren

I wasn't forced to download the story content, and so I didn't, and saved my precious HDD space.

I give it a 10/10 for that reason.

Least we got FM for going through it.

I also uninstalled it afterwards. Might've kept it if it had a straight "movie" mode where you could just watch all the cutscenes consecutively after completion. Come to think of it, an all "battle" mode would've been nice too for running through all the fights; decrease the instances of loading.

RedAssedApe

Banned
should have made the more important fights 2/3. short fights exacerbated how often you would be looking at a load screen

Ketch

had it been in the original release (along with a standard arcade mode) it would have been seen as good/adequate.

Ploid 3.0

Wow, I'm surprised people are reviewing this. People finally got their SP mode. Hard seems pretty challenging, Bison on normal gave me a bit of a sweat. Enjoy.

I'm not sure what some people were expecting TBH from this. It's not some high value production or ground-breaking thematic adventure. It's a cheesy fun exposition of the SF universe. Didn't impress me nearly as much as say MK's story mode, but I think it was definitely solid, enjoyable fun looking back now. Definitely improved the overall SFV package.

Pyrrhus

It was, you know, okay. The fights were constrained to the levels we've already seen so many times, the game lacked the continuous flow from battle to story to FMV that MK9 and X managed, instead relying on a lot of loading screens, which means it felt a lot less dynamic and polished. In many scenes the textures on characters and especially background elements seemed unusually low. The ninjas and Shadaloo mooks in some of the battles approached PS2 quality at times. And the fights themselves were pretty much just as easy as the lobotomized fare in the individual character stories. I can't give the presentation a ten.

To talk a little about the story,
the focus on Karin and the Dolls grated on me. Since when do the likes of Guile, Chun-li, and Zangief take orders from her? Wouldn't their own countries need these super patriots in a crisis like this? And Guile piloting Karin's private chopper like the fuckin' help? Come on. For that matter, why does Karin seem at least ten years older than in Alpha when Sakura is still running around in a sailor fuku and headband?

And Ryu is more or less missing in action until they haul him out for his contractually obligated battles with Necalli and Bison. The rest of the time, he's busy off screen with his "special training" that appears to let him permanently overcome the Satsui no Hado.

To reiterate: the writers over at Capcom decided to close out this huge part of his character arc they've been working on since 1995's SF Alpha entirely off screen and in the constraints of the 24 hour deadline Shadaloo has imposed on the world. He doesn't even get the whole day as he spars with Ken and then later has to be transported what I assume to be Kyoto to appear briefly at Karin's estate and then to the Shadaloo Base somewhere in Southeast Asia. Apparently if he'd gone to that lake in New Zealand (apparently 50 feet from where they'd been keeping Charlie's rotting corpse for the last several years; he should have dropped Guile a line) and sat in seiza position and glared at the middle distance for a few hours, he would have been cleared of his uncontrollable murderous rage and psychotic breaks years ago.

Should we talk about Rashid literally walking off a deep, fatal blow from a guy who was shown to be able to melt people and steel catwalks with his poisonous hands?

I suppose that sounds a bit harsh. I want to encourage them for trying on one hand. On the other, they didn't really rise to the bar MK9 and X. I do think the package would have felt a lot more complete if this had dropped at release instead of six months later. Ah well. I guess they've fulfilled their obligations and can have their Evo and move on.

Ploid 3.0

thought we had turned the corner on the shit on sfv stuff.

capcom can't catch a break these days

Imagine if they spent that story mode energy on more characters and stuff. Hopefully the story mode devs aren't the ones working on characters.

Edit: Oh I liked the dolls and the weird extra characters in Story Mode. Play it on hard, very fun to fight them. Laptop to the face, stun megaphone, etc. Interesting stuff!

Pyrrhus

Imagine if they spent that story mode energy on more characters and stuff. Hopefully the story mode devs aren't the ones working on characters.

Nobody forced them to promise this. Well, nothing beyond evolving presentation standards.

Daft Punk

Banned
To the people who are calling this dumb anime shit, what would you classify MKX and Injustice, the two games that are invariably the comparisons. Those stories were just as cringe inducing except Capcom never took itself serious except for a few moments while MKX and Injustice was unintentionally funny majority of the time.

Ploid 3.0

Nobody forced them to promise this. Well, nothing beyond evolving presentation standards.

Hopefully they are done promising, I mentioned that in another SFV thread. Stop promising and just make and release content whenever you feel like it Capcom. Quality > quantity. Take your time on certain things like the characters, don't force them out before they are done. That just makes more problems.

Also in that post I mentioned maybe it wasn't a promise but a guideline, or a plan. I'm almost sure it was a plan. There was even a image with a timeline with Plan written somewhere iirc.

Vex_

Banned
I feel like this was a missed opportunity, but it wasn't capcom's fault. In order to give each character the proper spotlight they deserve it would require an anime adaptation - or even better - a series done in the same style the game is in: 3D animated.

These characters all are bigger than life and too loved to just be squeezed into some one and done campaign. It will never work. They need to be fleshed out. We need to see akuma bury gouken. We need to see cammy fight off bison's control. We need to know why it is important ryu doesn't give in to the satsui no hadou.

If they were to continue down this route, they would need to offer seasonal story content as well. This can't be the end. Next season, when we get wave 2 characters, there needs to be "A Shadow Falls 2" to introduce and flesh them out. But like I said, it has to be in a different format.

/Rant.

Xav

From the bottom of my heart, I thought the story mode was shit. It's neither good nor so bad it's good, just utterly boring throughout.

You know what game told a more interesting story?

Capcom's own Street Fighter Alpha 3 and that came out 18 years ago. Those arcade mode endings were pretty good back in the day.

Pyrrhus

Nothing in those touches the greatness of FANG, though. And writing off half the MK characters as jobbers kind of sucks if you main them. I play Laura and while she had zero to do with the plot I got to see her give Sean a five minute noogie. A Reptile player... yeah, they don't even get that

FANG was a bright spot, admittedly. His ridiculous strutting and surprisingly good voice work made him the star of every scene he was in.

Blueblur1

It's alright for what it was. But the plot, writing and dialogue suck. Like the rest of SFV, the story was probably rushed. Excessive loading, no seamless transitions, fights that played out differently in the story after had actually beat the opponent, and ugly low-quality models & clipping issues are another set of glaring problems.

At this point I rather they focus on new characters and stages instead. Maybe they can improve the PS4 version's dithering problem and work on the clipping issues when the NEO drops.

If they focus on any other single player content, I hope they actually take their time. I don't want to see a haphazardly thrown together arcade mode or another low quality story mode. Hell, if I had my way I'd replace all of the character story art. But they'll never go that far to improve the game's presentation.

Edit: They should've just had Udon write the story mode. The Udon comic books have better, higher quality writing and stories than the actual Street Fighter video game source material.

Neoxon

i enjoyed it

it's about on par with one of them comic book movies kids wuv
Depends on which franchise, 'cause this was nowhere near the MCU in terms of quality.

That said, I'm curious to see how they handle a Season 2 Story if they choose to go that route. The main questions on my mind are....
  • Will the story still be between SFIV & SFIII chronologically or will it retell the events of SFIII?
  • Will Capcom make it paid for (with either Fight Money or Real Money) or will they keep it free as a means for everyone to try out the Season 2 DLC characters?

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
I really liked the cinematic story. But its not the single player I asked for. I want arcade mode. I want opportunities to earn trophies other than online.

lupinko

it's SO BAD but at least it let us PC players play urien / juri constantly

You can play Urien and Juri over and over on the same stage on PS4 too.

If you mean the mods then w/e they're very incomplete and won't be like that come release. Already confirmed by Capcom.

To the people who are calling this dumb anime shit, what would you classify MKX and Injustice, the two games that are invariably the comparisons. Those stories were just as cringe inducing except Capcom never took itself serious except for a few moments while MKX and Injustice was unintentionally funny majority of the time.

I don't think there was a line or plot point in the SFV story mode that couldn't have conceivably been written by a 5 year old with 0 editorial input. Fang and Geif had there moments but it was an abhorrent mess where I can only imagine the script was directly fed through Google translate and nobody from Capcom US spoke up about it making no sense what so ever.

MK might have been stupid it felt like something adults wrote who were fully aware it was stupid.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
That seems really harsh.

Nah, it's a waste of cash money that could've been spent retooling their dumbfuck AI in the bare-bones "story" mode they launched with into an actual Arcade and Versus CPU mode(s).

Nah, it's a waste of cash money that could've been spent retooling their dumbfuck AI in the bare-bones "story" mode they launched with into an actual Arcade and Versus CPU mode(s).

An arcade mode is nice and should be added but people now expect MK style story modes in fighting games. It's the reason why Tekken 7 is taking a long time to come out on console.

fernoca

The loadings are a killer; too frequent. Even though I enjoyed the character interactions and stuff around it, the constant loadings just not make for an enjoyable experience.

Still glad I got the game (finally), hopefully things will just get better.

There are some misc. things apparently since day one, like how any connection error takes you to the main menu, even playing survival.

The Orz

That's really not how game development works, but thanks for bringing the lack of Arcade mode up in this thread. I was worried we might actually have a SFV thread without someone moaning about an unrelated feature.

For those who were actually looking forward to the cinematic story mode and were disappointed, what were you expecting? For an initial effort I thought it turned out pretty well. The fact that it was rendered in real time was a nice bonus, as were the fights with various NPCs. Equally impressive was the use of new assets throughout. Clearly they put some time and effort into this.

Maybe it's because I've been somewhat invested in Street Fighter's story since the 90s (games, movies, comics, etc) that my expectations were adequately tempered. The story's stupid but fun. You know, just like Street Fighter.

Could it have been better? Of course, which is why I'd love to see a second season. Expand the game play options, focus on different characters, more Zangief--looking forward to it.

Even the visuals are not good at all. All the physics and hair clipping is really distracting and unacceptable. And this was supposed to be an visual experience as well...

Pyrrhus

Even the visuals are not good at all. All the physics and hair clipping is really distracting and unacceptable. And this was supposed to be an visual experience as well...

There was at least some rudimentary collision for some of the hair. For instance, I thought it was fairly humorous how Cammy's braids kept getting wedged between her ass cheeks in every scene she was in.

Acerac

Banned

But that seems like a waste of money that could be used to improve stability and find better solutions for droppers.

CO_Andy

load times are pretty much non-existent on the pc version

sounds like the PS4 should of opt for pre-recorded movies

cordy

Banned
It was ok but I enjoyed MK9 and MKX's story modes better. Just more entertaining, far more complex and overall more fun/difficult. I got lost in those story modes while in SFV I was thinking "wait they're going to the base that soon, where is this head-wait what?" and it was just annoying to me. It wasn't bad though it was good just not as good as the others.

Now Tekken 7's story mode is probably going to be the supreme mode. They'll probably have the best if everything works out well from what we've seen. Can't wait.

Top Bottom