• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V: A Shadow Falls Review thread

Raitaro

The worst part of the story was Necalli. Other than that, I loved it.

Yep, he was the ultimate loaded gun that never fired imo, and as such he felt utterly pointless and almost like his fully separate storyline at best just happened to coincide with those of the others instead of actually intertwining with them and taking place within the same plot arc.

Some spoilers: I mean he could have been used to weaken
Bison or to absorb his increased psycho powers so others could have a chance finish him off, or he could have been used as a plot device to finally rid Ryu of his dark hadou (by absorbing only that part of his soul, perhaps due to Dhalsim stepping in or something). Heck, he could have become the actual biggest threat after consuming both the dark hadou and Bison's power, thereby forcing everyone to work together to fend him off (after which Bison could do a heelturn and Nash could still enact his revenge) but alas, he mostly just appeared and went away multiple times without really devouring anyone's soul.

Granted, I did like his appearance as a sheep during Nash's dream sequence(?) at the beginning (
even if this also never amounted to anything with regards to him curing Nash or destroying him etc.
)

farisr

That's what confuses me I suppose. There are far more story modes out there that far cohesive are well-written, and like you say, valuable to review but instead they opt out to review a fighting game "story".
I really don't see what's confusing about choosing to review this. This is a major content release for Street Fighter V that capcom had been hyping up since before the game's release, Many people were waiting till this mode came out to decide whether to buy the game or not. So it completely makes sense to me for people/outlets to review this.

It's not like other fighting games' story modes get ignored either. They typically launch with the game and are critiqued in the overall review.

Platy

I still can't believe there is nothing to be done to play a FREE dlc of this game if you are on family share.

The game that allow to have different accounts while family sharing !

Granted, I did like his appearance as a sheep during Nash's dream sequence(?) at the beginning (
even if this also never amounted to anything with regards to him curing Nash or destroying him etc.
)

I would love an explanation or even realistic fan theory for why this scene was in the game. It was a welcome and weird turn suggesting future twists which never came.

Rashid is probably the only character the story mode really did anything with. I suppose Ryu had a character arc too, it was just really unsatisfying complete nonsense. What a lousy story. In my eyes the basic approach of aiming their cinematic story at young teenagers for a game series from the early 90s was inherently a mistake, but at the least the developers could have followed basic storytelling principles. You want to make a cartoon, fine, but at least do it with some skill and care.

I wasn't expecting them to make something especially sophisticated and adult, but even approximating the slightly more mature, restrained tone of 3rd Strike (from 1999!) would have worked fine. Practically nothing in a Shadow Falls actually felt like it was aimed at those of us playing the series since SF2. A majority of the people playing your game, Capcom, are likely at least approaching their thirties, why not aim your game at them? Younger players would be able to handle that just fine.

(I basically know why, it's the usual Japanese demographic nonsense of only making games for kids because most adults stop playing games, but it's still frustrating.)

fresquito

Only thing I gave a damn about this expansion is that it came with a fix to online. RQ is still a problem, but MM works pretty well now.

MrCarter

Rewatching the Street Fighter II animated movie right now, and it dances all over the SFV story mode.

I don't think comparing a fully fledged animated movie with a in-game story makes any sense what so ever. If that was the case we would be comparing Mortal Konbat live-action movies to their game stories also.

The Orz

Street Fighter is clearly designed around game play first, story second (or possibly third or fourth) and that's okay. They've done alright trying to establish a universe but you just have to accept that it's both loose and based around characters that can throw fireballs at one another. And they're still adding to the universe--I'm pretty excited with the idea that we may see some playable characters from Rival Schools in the future.

If you're looking for additional SF content, I highly recommend checking out Masahiko Nakahira's comics UDON localized a while back.

latest
Sakura_Ganbaru.jpg

Both are a lot of fun and clearly inspired characterization and costumes in SFIV. Also, Alpha begins with Birdie and Ryu acting as bodyguards for a couple of thugs smuggling heroin which is every bit as crazy as SFV's story.

It's worth noting that Nakahira created Karin and Evil Ryu.

Fitts

It was a little bit of fun, got a bit stale though. I'd say I enjoyed it overall. Keeping those little artefact glitches in the cutscenes was a bit weird (like when a small part of one of the character models goes nuts for no reason)

Personally, I loved that! I got super hype when someone's hair or clothing would start freaking out like 3D textures from a PS1 game. It made me audibly laugh a few times when it happened during some "dramatic" moments.

Mr. X

Corny and anime as hell.

They made Chun into a total fucking jobber. "Strongest woman in the world" meant nothing in this world of men, in 3S Urien says she took down Shadaloo. This story mode she just keeps taking Ls, doesn't even get to fight Bison because we had to have that canon fight between Bison and Ryu I guess.

(I haven't like what Capcom did to a few other female characters over the years either; Sakura stopped being some self taught fighting prodigy to some obsessed Ryu fangirl that is under Dan's tutelage, Felicia became a bumbling fool in MvC3 when she already had a distinct personality from Vampire series, and now this with Chun)

Rashid's voice acting was amazing.
Laura's personality in story is incredibly better than her in game dialogue but still seems off with her appearance.

pablito

Went through it today. It was fun.

I realize it's probably different people saying this, but saying the money could have been used for other stuff after all the whining about single player content...annoying. Just can't win.

Top Bottom