• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V: A Shadow Falls Review thread

The story was bad, incredibly bad but entertaining in how stupid it was.

Though I'm a sucker for the credit sequence, <3 Kolin.

7ZabVzb.gif

that ending alone > MK story tbh

also MK didn't have Gief the muscle gawd

Raitaro

They are definitely harder, although some are still easier than others depending on the match-up. More so if you don't don't much about the character you're playing. Oddly enough the first Nash vs ghost Bison fight seemed like one of the toughest. I really think those who played the hard mode end up happy for them only to be one round as they might have trouble getting past certain matches. But then again many are set up where your opponent has full meters.

I see; that sounds okay then, having one round, (mostly) harder fights.

And the costumes? Have you found a way to change them?

The only good thing about Story Mode is we get Fight Money. Which I now have enough to buy both Juri and Urien after buying the other DLC characters and a few colors and costumes.

In a few months or possible a year, people will realize the story was so bad it was shit. Just like games like Gta 4, Bioshock Infinite and DA:I

It's not at all what I wanted but its the only time ive fired up sfv since I bought it launch week so I guess in some ways it's a good thing

Story was no worse than doa or mk games but I didn't play those more then once either

I enjoyed the story mode. I would have preferred more gradual increase in difficulty to the fights. It seemed like every fight was waaaayyy too easy up until the Nash vs. Bison at the end. Then the last 5 battles were more challenging. (I still want an arcade mode though, even without endings I don't care)

Im ok with the story. The problem was how they executed it. Found it really boring. Lots of loadings, no drama on the fights, only one "round", no dialogues, no story interaction with in the fight.

I still think SFV's story was better than anything NRS has put out. I enjoyed how dumb it was. And Necalli being the ultimate jobber.
Guilty Gear is the king still.

Welp, here's hoping KOFXIV's story mode fares better.

After XIII I have no hope.

LakeEarth

I'm surprised they didn't just double the life for each battle, if they didn't want the 2 round format. At least the fights wouldn't be over in a flash.

Shadoken

Sites are reviewing... a story mode? Wouldn't it be better to update the reviews of the game considering its current state?

Ikr.... It seems like the dumbest idea ever. They should just review the entire game now and see what it offers.
Review sites be like
SFV - 4/10 - No SP content
SFV Story mode - 4/10 not good enough plot.

Story mode wasnt a paid DLC , so its basically a part of the main game now.

vaderise

Sounds no different from past SF story modes.
And i'm glad Rashid got a decent story arc, i don't like his look (Arabic steorotypical design) but he's so fun to play and his energic character fits this universe so well. I read a SFV prequel comic and started to like his character since.

I'd rather have a regular-ass arcade mode than this waste of three hours.

I never said it wasn't a waste of time, but implementing an arcade mode like every other arcade mode is just as much of a waste of time and resources. Like I said, ask for more from your fighters in 2016. This isn't the 90s.

For the record, I enjoyed the story, but would've been much happier with something else that actually benefits the game in a meaningful way.

Baleoce

It was a little bit of fun, got a bit stale though. I'd say I enjoyed it overall. Keeping those little artefact glitches in the cutscenes was a bit weird (like when a small part of one of the character models goes nuts for no reason)

DrArchon

No one would be giving the story mode any shit if the game had launched with it. Some people hyped this thing up for months as this being the thing that would "complete" SFV, and then it just turned out to be kinda crappy.

Also, reviewing a single piece of the game like this so long after launch seems kinda weird to me. Like, this isn't Uncharted or anything where the single player is the main draw. The single player is just a piece of the larger product that is SFV. If the really felt the need to review the story mode, they should've reviewed all of SFV again. It's not like there haven't been other updates other than the story mode.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Keeping those little artefact glitches in the cutscenes was a bit weird (like when a small part of one of the character models goes nuts for no reason)

The physics are just weird and all the cutscenes are done in-engine, so that's what you get as a result.

The story mode is no 4/10. Wtf Destructoid smoking crack.

Its a good story mode despite Necalli wasted and the ending being abrupt.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Still blows my mind that THIS is what people were screaming for... and not a standard Arcade mode...

What are you talking about? Im pretty sure no one asked for a 3 hour long mode with 2 1/2 hours of cutscenes and loading screens @__@

MutFox

Banned
Finished it last night in a sitting.
As a Street Fighter fan and knowing the backstories of the characters,
I really enjoyed most of it.

Made for fans definitely.

SMG

It's not at all what I wanted but its the only time ive fired up sfv since I bought it launch week so I guess in some ways it's a good thing

Story was no worse than doa or mk games but I didn't play those more then once either

MK 9 is the gold standard for fighting game story modes. I like SFV's but its repetitive narrative, and limited environments dull the glow quite a bit.

DedValve

Banned
Still blows my mind that THIS is what people were screaming for... and not a standard Arcade mode...

Well not THIS specifically. I only played the first act but it's nowhere near as interesting as injustice.

I think the problem is that these are just matches with cutscenes. I feel like we could do better.

Story made me like Rashid and FANG but didn't like how disjointed the story was. Is this what Anime is like? Serious but convoluted? The GG story felt the same; super serious with some moments of silliness but confusing.

Well the story mode confirmed that basically the entire world exists in its current state because the Kanzuki's will it so, so 10/10 Karin is the best character in the series and the true heroine of Street Fighter.

No_Style

It's alright for what it was. But the plot, writing and dialogue suck. Like the rest of SFV, the story was probably rushed. Excessive loading, no seamless transitions, fights that played out differently in the story after had actually beat the opponent, and ugly low-quality models & clipping issues are another set of glaring problems.

All of this. Especially the loading ruined any kind of semblance of finesse. MK9 oozed quality with the transitions by comparison. Any time I saw hair clipping, I kept asking myself, "Who thought this looked good?"

Exactly, I am like... lol fighting game lore.

It's objectively worse written than the MK story modes when it comes down the use of English, character animation and I think subjectively MK had a much more cohesive and interesting plot then "I have a chess piece!" "I stole your chess piece" "We all need to get them to the same place at the same time anyway!". It's not stupid in a charming way outside of some of Gief's and FANG's moments, it's just stupid. I honestly don't get where people are coming from in suggesting it's the on the same level as the MK story mode outside of them just liking the SF cast more.

I thought the story was terrible, really. The scenes were badly scripted and it was badly structures. It's just all the Street Fighters running around collecting amiibo. It made little sense.

I enjoyed playing through it all the same; Zangief was hilarious. It's nice to get a taste of the DLC characters and the NPC fights added some welcome variety. It's a decent enough distraction but it falls way short of what it could have been if they had bothered with (or had budget/time for) a more focused script.

Unit24

The story itself was a total mess (though it was admittedly fun at times), but I think the mode would be salvageable if it just had three things that MKX has:

1. Cutscenes you can pause
2. Battles with multiple rounds and adjustable difficulty
3. Seamless loading times

Would have made a world of difference.

Raitaro

No way to change costumes in story mode I'm aware of.

That is weird. I definitely remember seeing footage of Ibuki wearing different costumes in certain scenes, like at Karin's party. It's a small thing but being able to change costumes per character, like in the individual character stories, would be a nice touch for repeat plays.

Since the option to change them in said character stories is available in the same menu as the general story, it would make sense to carry our costume preferences over into the general story I think. Your move Capcom!

The story itself was a total mess (though it was admittedly fun at times), but I think the mode would be salvageable if it just had three things that MKX has:

1. Cutscenes you can pause
2. Battles with multiple rounds and adjustable difficulty
3. Seamless loading times

Would have made a world of difference.

I agree. On multiple occassions I accidentally skipped a cutscene because I pressed "option" to pause it. Multiple rounds could have helped to make the battles feel more epic, especially against important characters (for the unnamed jobbers one round fights still suffice I'd say). Loading times not being there between fights and cutscenes would have helped streamline the whole experience since we spend a lot of time looking at a black screen right now.

Ryan_MSF

Had a good few hours of fun with it, enjoying max and a few others on youtube uploading their playthroughs at the minute, it's dumb OTT, but super fun. Reviews seem overly harsh.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I liked all the doll designs... for whatever that's worth. Japanese and Spanish dolls were the best.

Hyun Sai

Finished the story mode yesterday.

Rashid was surprisingly likeable in this.

All the rest was pure garbage, especially the "joke" characters, the one round format, many fights were filler with bland opponents with lame designs...

Give me a tournament style arcade mode every day in place of this.

Raitaro

Had a good few hours of fun with it, enjoying max and a few others on youtube uploading their playthroughs at the minute, it's dumb OTT, but super fun. Reviews seem overly harsh.

I fully agree. Despite some niggles and questions about content choices (i.e. missing/underused stages or characters) here and there I had quite a bit of fun and am even enjoying watching let's plays of Max and SuperBestFriends to see how they react to some of the more outlandish things. (I only wished they'd turned that wrestling match between Alex, Laura, Zangief and R.Mika into an actual fight in that stage.)

It doesn't need to be Shakespeare, Goethe or even The Last of Us or The Witcher III to be enjoyable as a fun, light hearted cartoon-like romp; not for this SF fan at least. Heck, I'm already hoping Capcom will do a season 2 eventually and that they will go
fully into SFIII story territory then by making Gill and Urien the main antagonists and Alex the main protagonist

MrCarter

This mode was garbage. Miles away from NRS and Arc System Works story modes.

Nah. SFV was FAR better than MKX which actually put me to sleep. At least this was entertaining and looks great. Also since when are journalists reviewing story modes of a fighting game? Talk about scrapping the barrel for some clicks.

Nah. SFV was FAR better than MKX which actually put me to sleep. At least this was entertaining and looks great. Also since when are journalists reviewing story modes of a fighting game? Talk about scrapping the barrel for some clicks.

Speaking as somebody who wrote one of the reviews linked (it's an unscored one, the VG247 piece), what's wrong with writing impressions/thoughts on the quality of a major expansion for a major release? Some people might want to know if it's worth their time, taking an evening out to play this when they could be doing something else isn't trivial for everybody. This is a big deal addition to one of Capcom's major releases for the year, not to mention something they've never done before. It's important. It deserves to be covered.

I played the story mode and wrote the impressions because I bloody love Street Fighter. Truth is, there's games it'd be far more valuable to spend my time writing about if I was chasing clicks (the evergreen click sinks like Destiny, GTA Online, Division, Overwatch etc are worth a million times more than SF, it's just the brutal truth). I wrote this out of a passion for SF and what SF5 needs/deserves to be, because I wanted to talk about some of the things I saw/played, and because I wanted to make sure the readers at my fingertips knew that SF5 finally had its single-player content, which it got slated for not having at launch. I'm always confused by this kind of comment; I'm never sure if it's hugely disingenuous or just genuinely misinformed about the way these decisions are made.

MrCarter

Speaking as somebody who wrote one of the reviews linked (it's an unscored one, the VG247 piece), what's wrong with writing impressions/thoughts on the quality of a major expansion for a major release? Some people might want to know if it's worth their time, taking an evening out to play this when they could be doing something else isn't trivial for everybody. This is a big deal addition to one of Capcom's major releases for the year, not to mention something they've never done before. It's important. It deserves to be covered.

I played the story mode and wrote the impressions because I bloody love Street Fighter. Truth is, there's games it'd be far more valuable to spend my time writing about if I was chasing clicks (the evergreen click sinks like Destiny, GTA Online, Division, Overwatch etc are worth a million times more than SF, it's just the brutal truth). I wrote this out of a passion for SF and what SF5 needs/deserves to be, because I wanted to talk about some of the things I saw/played, and because I wanted to make sure the readers at my fingertips knew that SF5 finally had its single-player content, which it got slated for not having at launch. I'm always confused by this kind of comment; I'm never sure if it's hugely disingenuous or just genuinely misinformed about the way these decisions are made.

That's what confuses me I suppose. There are far more story modes out there that far cohesive are well-written, and like you say, valuable to review but instead they opt out to review a fighting game "story". However, from your post I can see you are very enthusiastic and passionate and you want to give your audience a chance to see what they are playing and I appreciate that. Sorry if I came across a little rude.

Beat it last night. I rather enjoyed it. But watching the credits, and the amount of people involved, I couldn't help but wonder whether all that time and money could have been apent elsewhere?

Top Bottom