• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTVI| The More I Know, The Worse I Play

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think we can do better too but the truth is new updates hit Capcom Unity pretty frequently.

There's been a new post about something fighting game related almost every other week since PSX by Harrison or Peter. This includes giving insight into Season 2 in general from Peter and also insight into each character as well in the full balance change blog post.

Since December we got a new MVC game announced, USFII announced and a new character and balance changes for SFV. Looking back a few years ago, it's insane to think we'd have all this type of news coming out in such a short time. This is an incredible time to be a fighting game fan!

Beyond that there's the CFN portal that has character usage and other cool info that comes out all the time.

The guys will be doing more streams as well. They've started doing them weekly this year on the Unity Twitch page but you have to understand these are the same people who are also doing all the video capture for trailers, social updates and writing blogs. Everyone is working really hard and cant always get to the more fun projects they'd like to due to mission critical stuff.

Some stuff we want to do is highlight cool online matches that happen each week similar some of those other YouTube channels you see out there. I'd also like to get a process down to get more interviews from the team in Japan but translation and stuff like that is a pretty big undertaking especially if this was something to be done consistently.

Hope that helps give some perspective. We can do better I know, but I hate to see the work that guys like Matt Edwards, Harrison and of course Nakayama-san not get recognized.

Thank you for reaching out on Reddit and here. However, I will say that while I am interested in MvC:I, and maybe even USF2, those are entirely different games and their existence is orthogonal to my desire to be informed about what is happening with SFV. Because SFV is the game that I am actually playing now and the game that I intend to play for the foreseeable future.

The issue tracker would be one step in the right direction, provided that it is actually kept up to date. But more than just temporary issues, I would like to know how (if!) you intend to improve the game itself. Stuff like Steam / PSN integration is still miles behind USFIV (Why do I have to manually copy a 17 digit number to look up a Steam profile, for example? Why can't I invite a friend from my friend-list to a lobby?), finding geographically close lobbies is matter of trial and error, there is frankly an obscene amount of waiting between VS screens, loading screens, and results screens, net-code can go out of sync resulting in one-sided roll-back, the new rage-quit jail worked for a couple of days, and much more. What plans do you have? I am not even asking for dates, just something more than the vague statements we have gotten about improving your self-immolating servers.

You don't make things easier for yourself by not communicating. Why, for example, did you not advertise that D-Input support was coming in Season 2? That was a feature that many had requested, but we only learned about it in (more than one day in) advance because somebody forgot to make a Steam depot private. Similarly, you fixed the issue where you would get kicked out of Survival if you lost your connection to the server, but never mentioned that anywhere that I am aware of. Why? This was something that was widely criticized, so why not tell us you were going to fix it and then that you had fixed it?

FluxWaveZ

I wonder if they stealth did something to the matchmaking like they have in the past. I'm being matched against people who are closer to my LP consistently now.

FluxWaveZ

Didn't they explicitly fix this a week or two ago?

I feel like I remember something like that around the time of the RQ logos being in effect but, recently, I was getting matched with people who were way below all over again. Now, though, I'm getting people who are closer to my LP range again consistently. It's been happening since around the last maintenance.

Edzi

This is the most hilarious Rashid I've ever seen.

EDIT: Gotta go guys, GGs. I really wanna get some more practice against your Chun, Producer. I feel like it's getting closer and closer.

I feel like I remember something like that around the time of the RQ logos being in effect but, recently, I was getting matched with people who were way below all over again. Now, though, I'm getting people who are closer to my LP range again consistently. It's been happening since around the last maintenance.

It's certainly possible considering how Capcom operates (no communication).

Hyun Sai

I want KBrad to lose against Wolfkrone to witness the meltdown.

----------------------------------
Aaaaand that was some epic washing hands pop off LMAO

Mr. X

I picked up the Qanba Obsidian. Pre-ordered and got the free shipping and free Qanba stickbag.

This stick is marvelous. Nice weight, lots of surface area, very clean looking. All parts Sanwa.

I recommend.

Edzi

So top 3 is Guile, Guile(Urien on the side?), and Laura. Sounds about right.

Also, watching Wolfkrone play Laura really exemplifies how dumb she is. He's just kinda always pressing something and moving forward.

I picked up the Qanba Obsidian. Pre-ordered and got the free shipping and free Qanba stickbag.

This stick is marvelous. Nice weight, lots of surface area, very clean looking. All parts Sanwa.

I recommend.

The bag offer is over now, right?

2 Mika's in top 8
Mika playing in Grand Finals

����������

killed by the microphone & it has armour

wow

FluxWaveZ

bottom tier with no winning matchups huh

I don't know about bottom tier (while that was FChamp's assessment, that still remains to be seen), but no winning MUs except for maybe FANG and Alex(?) sure is true. Dude had to win against a Guile playing as Mika; at some point, it's about the player and not the characters.

Skilletor

Chris G's AA game was lacking, really let Du control the match with Guile. He'd force him to stand a lot and lose flashkick charge, and Chris G was timing c.hp late most of the time so it would get stuffed and/or trade, so he stopped using it.

Edzi

still up?

Ugh, this is frustrating. Most of the games I'm losing are purely because I freeze up to Akuma's throw bait game. You can walk up and throw me, since I'm scared of the f. HP.

Alex's down charge EX moves not having tracking is also one of the most frustrating things about the character for me. They're so integral to his game, yet they're so incredibly easy to screw up since you have to manually control them.

Grifter

Ugh, this is frustrating. Most of the games I'm losing are purely because I freeze up to Akuma's throw bait game. You can walk up and throw me, since I'm scared of the f. HP.

Alex's down charge EX moves not having tracking is also one of the most frustrating things about the character for me. They're so integral to his game, yet they're so incredibly easy to screw up since you have to manually control them.

GGs, I was trying to switch up my style from how I usually play now that I've seen the match a few times. Ate a bunch of headbutts doing so!

Edzi

GGs, I was trying to switch up my style from how I usually play now that I've seen the match a few times. Ate a bunch of headbutts doing so!

GGs man, I give up. You've got the best spacing and reactions I've ever seen, and I'm not even exaggerating. You were spacing yourself literally pixels away from my attacks and whiff punishing them consistently, and you were able to react to almost all my approaches about 99% of the time. You must not play Ranked much since there's no way in hell you're actually Platinum. I've played Diamonds who aren't even close to your level.

Grifter

GGs man, I give up. You've got the best spacing and reactions I've ever seen, and I'm not even exaggerating. You were spacing yourself literally pixels away from my attacks and whiff punishing them consistently, and you were able to react to almost all my approaches about 99% of the time. You must not play Ranked much since there's no way in hell you're actually Platinum. I've played Diamonds who aren't even close to your level.

Thanks, man. I was able to keep up with my diamond+ friends as Ryu, but do prefer long sets to ranked and am not playing consistently (mostly weekend warrior).

I was spacing for your 2mp as you figured out and you started to 2mk more, which gives you less, and that spacing allowed me to see your 5hk and back off it. Concentrating on that got me headbutt a bunch but I figured it was a high risk/low reward move. I wasn't reacting so much as you'd shown me that a few times and gave me a chance to plan around it.

So the meta was still escalating. Don't give up!

EX stomp's hitbox must be tiny compared to EX Stun Gun's because the latter hits it's targets way more often. EX Stomp is the one that really needs tracking brought back.

DunpealD

Here's a hint, leading with "your game is trash" then chasing it with bon mots like "shitstain" is a pretty good way to promptly get ignored by developers and community managers that you're trying to convince to put more work into the product you're throwing under the bus. What's your objective here? Other than driving away both rational conversation and any incentive a person actually involved with Capcom, such as Haunts, would have to actually come and post on Gaf.

I'd tell you to go play KOF, since in your post you outline how their product is clearly superior, but I know you wont; you'd rather keep playing SFV and bitching about it instead.

Here's a hint, I said gameplay is excellent while close to everything around it is subpar. Considering that Street Fighter is considered as THE premier fighting game, the sad state of this game isn't acceptable.
What does it do well? CFN is nice if it works, training mode is pretty good. But after that? While I enjoyed the story mode, I'm not going to delude myself that it's great or even comparable to BB, GG, Injustice, MK9 or MKX.
Even the Artworks of the Character Story mode are object of ridicule.
Street Fighter V clearly loses out in netcode, lobby system, tutorial, singleplayer content, cumbersome load times and even small QoL things like saving training mode config.
The outline is not that KoFXIV is superior. The outline is that SFV is not up to snuff in comparison to the competition, making it look like a backwater attempt in areas inside and outside of the game. People had rightfully high hopes for SFV to set a higher standard, instead it managed to set the bottom of the barrel with its launch.
Even Harada from Tekken team, pretty much used SFV as prime example on how to not launch a game.

I never heard anyone saying that Survival mode is good, so prove me wrong here. Because if there wasn't any FM tied to it, close to nobody would even touch that mode. Every time I see somebody talk about the Survival mode, it's usually full of dread. I know that they mentioned in an Interview that they are proud of it. But out of all new things they came up with. Survival mode is by far the worst executed fighting game mode in the recent decade. They had one year to turn it around, instead they made it more difficult/worse. That's really reassuring. If there is a pro and con list for SFV, Survival Mode would make it clearly into the con list.

The incentive? I like SFV and because of that also critical of it. There is no use in sugarcoating the shortcomings. The tone of my post just reflects how fed up I am with its current state and the lack of information about it's near future.
I know that the haunts, combofiend and the guys at Capcom have a difficult job. The complaints are not directed at him, but SFV in general. His attempt to communicate is appreciated. Most probably it's not even Capcom USA fault.
It's nice that Capcom is making more fighting games, but what does it have to do with SFV?
We know CFN is going to get better, but so far nothing tangible has been presented.
Also the issues of CFN cropping up, season 2 patch having a negative effect on matchmaking and netcode and the lack of real information really doesn't help. Adding Street Fighters 30th Anniversary to it, there is more pressure on SFV than ever.

But hey, maybe it's better for Capcom to tell people to stop playing SFV and suggest playing other fighting games like you suggested, instead of wanting SFV to become a better game. Because right now they are doing a great job encouraging this, by offering nothing. So far they have offered no insight of what is changing and what's going to make it a better.

It would be great if they can manage to turn it around, but right now even as a more ardent SFV fan it's a tough sell.

Whales

Banned
lol @ we're working hard to fix the issues

sorry dude, its been a year and we STILL get those "failed to send results" REGULARLY. It's pathetic. These servers are utter garbage. There is absolutely no excusing that

There are no QoL fixes since the game is out except the BGM change (good job, it took a year). You still can't save training options

Loading times are awful

Survival still sucks

Battle lounge searches are still USELESS. Can't sort by region, takes 5mins for the connection status to even show up (if it actually even does)

Seriously, good thing this game has good gameplay, because otherwise jfc theres like a billion reasons to quit it

It's a shame that capcom treated sfv like crap and meanwhile, RE7 is polished as fuck...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom