• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTVI| The More I Know, The Worse I Play

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hueytothe

That's a hard read for a follow-up Bull Head. Risky stuff that might get you punched in the face with a st.MP.
Does the knock back put you out of direct throw range? i dont remember, if so deadbrain special move. They really should have gave him a more intelligent buff
but a 5 frame throw should beat an 8 frame button

FluxWaveZ

Does the knock back put you out of direct throw range? i dont remember, if so deadbrain special move. They really should have gave him a more intelligent buff
but a 5 frame throw should beat an 8 frame button

The pushback means you're out of even command grab range. Not sure that has really changed from S1, though.

And saying that a throw will beat the startup of that move is like saying a throw beats the startup of Urien's EX tackle. Technically correct on paper. Extremely difficult in the moment.

I dunno, I don't think there should be communication for the sake of communication. If they have something concrete to present to us then that is fine but I don't want them to give false hope to people when they have nothing substantial to show. Last couple days we had a blog post and Haunts on Reddit, which is good, but I do think they need a community manager for this game like we do in Europe with Matt Edwards. He is really great at the Winner Stays On show which airs every week and gives us small hints when he can, which is why it's even more baffling when the US doesn't have a Community Manager for SFV considering this game is way more popular there than Europe.

That's probably part of the reason people are upset. JPN sometimes gets stuff in the form of a blog post (like the netcode update is coming), there's WSO, but there's no one for the US to do the same.

General community engagement would be better though, across the board. I know CPT is a heavy deal, but the middle of the week needs a stream or something to keep people engaged. After a while, you don't see a bunch of people shitposting all over WSO, because they understand that it's useless to do so, so they just watch it for the matches.

So yeah, a US community person would be great.

Are you listening, Capcom? I'm right here. My resume includes eating ass for the benefit of all Street Fighter fans and seven years of digital marketing and community outreach. Hire me.

haunts

Bacon of Hope
I think we can do better too but the truth is new updates hit Capcom Unity pretty frequently.

There's been a new post about something fighting game related almost every other week since PSX by Harrison or Peter. This includes giving insight into Season 2 in general from Peter and also insight into each character as well in the full balance change blog post.

Since December we got a new MVC game announced, USFII announced and a new character and balance changes for SFV. Looking back a few years ago, it's insane to think we'd have all this type of news coming out in such a short time. This is an incredible time to be a fighting game fan!

Beyond that there's the CFN portal that has character usage and other cool info that comes out all the time.

The guys will be doing more streams as well. They've started doing them weekly this year on the Unity Twitch page but you have to understand these are the same people who are also doing all the video capture for trailers, social updates and writing blogs. Everyone is working really hard and cant always get to the more fun projects they'd like to due to mission critical stuff.

Some stuff we want to do is highlight cool online matches that happen each week similar some of those other YouTube channels you see out there. I'd also like to get a process down to get more interviews from the team in Japan but translation and stuff like that is a pretty big undertaking especially if this was something to be done consistently.

Hope that helps give some perspective. We can do better I know, but I hate to see the work that guys like Matt Edwards, Harrison and of course Nakayama-san not get recognized.

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
Sure haunts, but strictly looking at just SFV, unity blog updates have been pretty sparse since akuma dropped, I think there was just a reminder for the christmas dlc and the latest one about CFN updates in spring...

I think we can do better too but the truth is new updates hit Capcom Unity pretty frequently.

There's been a new post about something fighting game related almost every other week since PSX by Harrison or Peter. This includes giving insight into Season 2 in general from Peter and also insight into each character as well in the full balance change blog post.

For most gamers "X company isn't transparent enough!" doesn't mean you you don't talk to them enough, it just means you're not telling them the things they want to hear.

Take a look at Bungie, they do a lot more than most companies with multiple twitter accounts, weekly updates on their website, curated community portal, etc. but unless they give out hard release dates of when the next patch or content release or current-thing-the-community-is-bitching about drops, people on GAF will "kindly" suggest that their community managers should all be fired every week.

Sigmaah

Nigga said this game will be fixed this year....

WHAT ABOUT LAST YEAR NIGGA LMAOOOOO

This games online is on life support, I've stopped playing cause battle lounges laggy af, ranked matches laggy af, can't find an opponent in ranked until like 5/10 min. And for me, shit has been getting worse and worse after every maintenance.

How we in 2017 and u release a game with worse netcode than the last installment and now I hate to say it, but might be worse than mahvel 3.

haunts

Bacon of Hope
For most gamers "X company isn't transparent enough!" doesn't mean you you don't talk to them enough, it just means you're not telling them the things they want to hear.

Take a look at Bungie, they do a lot more than most companies with multiple twitter accounts, weekly updates on their website, curated community portal, etc. but unless they give out hard release dates of when the next patch or content release or current-thing-the-community-is-bitching about drops, people on GAF will "kindly" suggest that their community managers should all be fired every week.

I agree. I think at the core of it isn't the frequency of updates, its that players want to know what the status is of many of the ongoing issues are.

The team in Japan is working on an issues tracker page that can be found here: http://game.capcom.com/sfv_support/en/index.html

Bookmark that page. It's not fleshed out just yet but will give players and idea of whats getting looked at, whats being planned for a fix and whats been resolved. I think it will help a lot but just need more time to get everything reviewed and posted on the site.

edit: To be clear its a joint project between US and Japan. We're sending them feedback we see on this end as well to be posted there too.

I mean, this isn't wrong. People really want to know where the DLC is at, where the CPT events are at, etc. We want that information, else it seems like nothing is coming.

I guess it's wrong of me to suggest Capcom isn't communicating properly. I get that you dudes are working hard to correct the mistakes in the game, and to be fair, shit has come a long, long way. Compared to the netcode of last year, it's moved from "garbage" to "average". Today's matches have all been good save for one singular teleportation event.

The roadmap was the biggest problem, because for me, it set the expectation that we'd know about where the game is going and what's gonna happen with it in the coming months. We didn't get that, so some of us are left scratching our heads as to what's going on and when.

It's a mixture of frustrations of the netcode, confusions on DLC and updates this year and when, and CPT stuff, previous vitriol not withstanding. But if we do get updates on a monthly basis, after the DLC/CPT stuff gets relatively sorted, I'd be alright. I guess people just want to know they are going to get an update on a time scale rather than the update itself.

I agree. I think at the core of it isn't the frequency of updates, its that players want to know what the status is of many of the ongoing issues are.

The team in Japan is working on an issues tracker page that can be found here: http://game.capcom.com/sfv_support/en/index.html

Bookmark that page. It's not fleshed out just yet but will give players and idea of whats getting looked at, whats being planned for a fix and whats been resolved. I think it will help a lot but just need more time to get everything reviewed and posted on the site.

Okay, now that's what I'm talking about. That's seriously a good sign for me, even if other developers don't have that on their website.

Also, can you guys start promoting the good things? Like being able to get our FM by logging back in for Survival was just found out recently, and people still don't know they can do that. I don't think any patch notes indicate that. It'd go a long way in showing action.

This games online is on life support, I've stopped playing cause battle lounges laggy af, ranked matches laggy af, can't find an opponent in ranked until like 5/10 min. And for me, shit has been getting worse and worse after every maintenance.

How we in 2017 and u release a game with worse netcode than the last installment and now I hate to say it, but might be worse than mahvel 3.

You can debate 4's netcode, but Marvel 3's netcode is straight up trash and has always been trash.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, it's more about what people want to hear.

Like some clarity on when the DLC characters arrive and just the general status of the countless fixes this game needs.
It's true you're putting effort into the game in the form of balance and DLC, but the state of the software itself is still awful. That's what I want to know more about.

Edit:
http://game.capcom.com/sfv_support/en/index.html

I've seen that site before and it's a total joke so far.

"After a match, match results may not be sent/received correctly" - Like, really?

cackhyena

edit: To be clear its a joint project between US and Japan. We're sending them feedback we see on this end as well to be posted there too.

Look all I wanna know is why did you personally by yourself with your own two hands nerf characters instead of buff weaker ones like y'all said. Why, Haunts. Haunt...why.

Like some clarity on when the DLC characters arrive and just the general status of the countless fixes this game needs.
It's true you're putting effort into the game in the form of balance and DLC, but the state of the software itself is still awful. That's what I want to know more about.

Edit:

"After a match, match results may not be sent/received correctly" - Like, really?

If they update it with software issues and leave the server stuff to Twitter, it'd be great to serve as a checklist, which, going by Haunts, seems to be what they plan to do.

haunts

Bacon of Hope

Edit:

Like I said, it's still being built out but a lot of the issues should be posted there. One thing I see a lot of is "are you guys ever aware of the issues with the game?" and I think this will be great for not only letting people know that we're aware but where the issues in the pipeline in terms of being resolved.

New002

Sure haunts, but strictly looking at just SFV, unity blog updates have been pretty sparse since akuma dropped, I think there was just a reminder for the christmas dlc and the latest one about CFN updates in spring...

Indeed. The issue isn't that people aren't hearing enough about fighting games in general from Capcom. The issue is that people aren't hearing much about SFV and what the deal is with the misc. issues, future content, DLC chars, dates, etc. People are not only looking for more SFV news, but more SFV news of substance. This needs to change really. The issue tracker is certainly a step in the right direction.

Edit: Also I don't mean for this to come off as super aggressive or anything, but I'm passionate about the game and really would love to see things turn around, and a shift in communication could really help I think.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Edit: Also I don't mean for this to come off as super aggressive or anything, but I'm passionate about the game and really would love to see things turn around, and a shift in communication could really help I think.
Yeah, just to clarify. I'm a bit pissed, because I love the franchise and want it to do well.

I'm a Nash main and giving him an invincible reversal doesn't really make sense. He's supposed to be slippery, but they took everything away from him. It's not that he needs a reversal, he's just bad.

DunpealD

Since December we got a new MVC game announced, USFII announced and a new character and balance changes for SFV. Looking back a few years ago, it's insane to think we'd have all this type of news coming out in such a short time. This is an incredible time to be a fighting game fan!

Beyond that there's the CFN portal that has character usage and other cool info that comes out all the time.

The guys will be doing more streams as well. They've started doing them weekly this year on the Unity Twitch page but you have to understand these are the same people who are also doing all the video capture for trailers, social updates and writing blogs. Everyone is working really hard and cant always get to the more fun projects they'd like to due to mission critical stuff.

Some stuff we want to do is highlight cool online matches that happen each week similar some of those other YouTube channels you see out there. I'd also like to get a process down to get more interviews from the team in Japan but translation and stuff like that is a pretty big undertaking especially if this was something to be done consistently.

Hope that helps give some perspective. We can do better I know, but I hate to see the work that guys like Matt Edwards, Harrison and of course Nakayama-san not get recognized.

I think this is the biggest issue. It's great that you got news for MvC and USF2, but for SFV Players that's putting the cart before the horse. Why should SFV players even care about those news? Because frankly speaking, SFV is trash except Gameplay and even then Gameplay is more on the subjective side. You haven't even patched up SFV yet and you are already trying to sell us another game? With USF2 being Switch exclusive right now, it doesn't even make any sense to be mentioned along SFV in an SFV thread.

For example I never heard about the DC icons again, what about the dictator stage, nostalgia costumes, extra battle or arcade mode?
You'll have to agree that silence and teasing isn't going to cut it or even counterproductive. Especially when SFV is not in a favorable place, where it shouldn't even afford empty words like "we're listening" or "we got some stuff just wait till some time in the future, haters gonna left behind".
In general Street Fighter V has been a tragedy and I can't even blame the frequent SFV trashing threads, because what's been done so far was nothing more than drop in a bucket.
I like SFV, but with server issues, useless Trials, even more useless Tutorials, relative low FM gain, shitstain of a mode called Survival, Training mode not saving the configurations, no online training mode, Thumbs up after match in competitve matches, etc. it's just getting depressing to the point of being laughable.
Look at KoFXIV, they already patched in the training mode config saves and that's a game that came after SFV. They even tried to improve the graphics. What about SFV? It's still a clipping galore.

It's end of January and so far we know next to nothing about what's coming for SFV. Is there even something to look forward to?

Csr

The issue tracker is a good thing but the fact that we need an issue tracker 1 year after launch for even basic fixes is kind of ridiculous.

I feel for the poor souls that are working on the game hearing constant complaints because some executives decided to launch it long before it was ready and are still not giving enough resources to them to get the issues fixed.

Here's a hint, leading with "your game is trash" then chasing it with bon mots like "shitstain" is a pretty good way to promptly get ignored by developers and community managers that you're trying to convince to put more work into the product you're throwing under the bus. What's your objective here? Other than driving away both rational conversation and any incentive a person actually involved with Capcom, such as Haunts, would have to actually come and post on Gaf.

I'd tell you to go play KOF, since in your post you outline how their product is clearly superior, but I know you wont; you'd rather keep playing SFV and bitching about it instead.

MrCarter

Good to hear from you Haunts, if you keep up this sort of communication on here and on other sites it would be most welcome. Like I mentioned, the EU scene has someone like Matt, and if you can put forward the idea of someone like him for the US scene (where they actually publish SF, as you know) then it would help immensely.

Holy Hyperbole Batman!

This is a cool idea. However, I have to disagree with you, players are actually looking for faster frequency of updates rather than what the status of the issues are. Of course I know these things take time but we all know that gamers can be some of the most fickle consumers in any medium.

The roadmap was the biggest problem, because for me, it set the expectation that we'd know about where the game is going and what's gonna happen with it in the coming months. We didn't get that, so some of us are left scratching our heads as to what's going on and when.

This. Haunts, try and get us a roadmap for the foreseeable future like we did last year. It's something very small but very effective in the long run.

I think this is the biggest issue. It's great that you got news for MvC and USF2, but for SFV Players that's putting the cart before the horse. Why should SFV players even care about those news? Because frankly speaking, SFV is trash except Gameplay and even then Gameplay is more on the subjective side. You haven't even patched up SFV yet and you are already trying to sell us another game? With USF2 being Switch exclusive right now, it doesn't even make any sense to be mentioned along SFV in an SFV thread.

For example I never heard about the DC icons again, what about the dictator stage, nostalgia costumes, extra battle or arcade mode?
You'll have to agree that silence and teasing isn't going to cut it or even counterproductive. Especially when SFV is not in a favorable place, where it shouldn't even afford empty words like "we're listening" or "we got some stuff just wait till some time in the future, haters gonna left behind".
In general Street Fighter V has been a tragedy and I can't even blame the frequent SFV trashing threads, because what's been done so far was nothing more than drop in a bucket.
I like SFV, but with server issues, useless Trials, even more useless Tutorials, relative low FM gain, shitstain of a mode called Survival, Training mode not saving the configurations, no online training mode, Thumbs up after match in competitve matches, etc. it's just getting depressing to the point of being laughable.
Look at KoFXIV, they already patched in the training mode config saves and that's a game that came after SFV. They even tried to improve the graphics. What about SFV? It's still a clipping galore.

It's end of January and so far we know next to nothing about what's coming for SFV. Is there even something to look forward to?

Man, I share your concerns, but some of that is silly. They aren't "selling you another product before fixing this one". They are fixing this one and another team is making USF2. I think what he's trying to get at is that Capcom has a lot of shit in the works in general, and they aren't just sitting around doing nothing.This is probably the reason why it's so hard to drop anything like "we hear your concerns". I get people want fixes, but this is kinda the first necessary step.

Man, I'm perfectly fine with waiting for new modes or Netcode improvements or whatever. All I really want in the short term is info on the rest of the Season 2 characters. Some sort of time frame or a teaser or something. Anything at all would be better than what we have now.

Edzi

Yeah I'll send an invite. CFN _Hero_

Also thanks for stopping by Haunts!

GGs, your AAs were on point, you definitely made me slow down. If there's one thing I can say about your Alex it's that you relied a lot on neutral jumps and dash in grabs. It worked to an extent, but I think the general neutral game killed you.

Isn't SFV's netcode based on SFxT? Other than the PS4's weak CPU, what happened that they fucked up for V's? On Ps3 the game only ever lags during the loading and in between rounds. And the one time the game did lag during a match, it was only there for 5 seconds and the game became playable after that.

And now S2's netcode is even worse with audio mutes on moves and even the Stage's BGM when the lag becomes unbearable. I thought that went away until a Laggy Gief player just now who woke up CA with Gief being silent instead of shouting whatever he says.

MrCarter

Man, I'm perfectly fine with waiting for new modes or Netcode improvements or whatever. All I really want in the short term is info on the rest of the Season 2 characters. Some sort of time frame or a teaser or something. Anything at all would be better than what we have now.

Which is why a roadmap is important at this point. I think they should have teased something at the end of Akuma's trailer but I guess they didn't have anything ready by then. Hope we see something at the end of Final Round - since I believe that is the first major CPT event (which means more eyes will be on it), it would be a good opportunity to release a trailer there.

If any other mediocre Bronze/Super/Ultra Bronze players are on here or lurking and want to play tonight I'll probably be on around 10:30pm Eastern US.

CFN ID is Ace_Harding

I'm a consistent 1,000 LP Balrog.

MrCarter

There was this character named Alex...

What happened? I can't remember lol. I think Alex was the only trailer that was released after he was announced/datamined. Some people just wanted to get one-up on Capcom by taking thier work, cut a simple trailer and then release it. Nothing special.

GGs, your AAs were on point, you definitely made me slow down. If there's one thing I can say about your Alex it's that you relied a lot on neutral jumps and dash in grabs. It worked to an extent, but I think the general neutral game killed you.
Thanks for the advice. I'll try to minimize my usage of jumps in my nuetral.

Edit: also I think we could see some stuff earlier than Final Round. February is gonna be SF3's 20th anniversary and I'm hoping to see info on those nostalgia costumes.

What happened? I can't remember lol. I think Alex was the only trailer that was released after he was announced/datamined.

Everyone expected an Alex trailer, some news or something at the end of Final Round. Capcom brought jackshit.

When Infiltration won, he asked for the Alex trailer in his interview. Some confusion happened, and the people there thought that there was gonna be a trailer playing. Everyone sat down and expected a trailer only to be greeted by the sweet sweet sounds of the RASHIDO theme.

The ceremony ended and the event ended. Stream cut back to their waiting screen while playing Alex's 3rd strike theme. Then stream ended.

Fin

Edzi

Thanks for the advice. I'll try to minimize my usage of jumps in my nuetral.

Edit: also I think we could see some stuff earlier than Final Round. February is gonna be SF3's 20th anniversary and I'm hoping to see info on those nostalgia costumes.

I wasn't saying to stop that, just to work on the neutral game. I feel like Alex needs to be very aware of his long range buttons and know exactly when to use them, since he can't really throw them out like other characters, and playing too aggressive can easily get him killed.

MrCarter

Everyone expected an Alex trailer, some news or something at the end of Final Round. Capcom brought jackshit.

When Infiltration won, he asked for the Alex trailer in his interview. Some confusion happened, and the people there thought that there was gonna be a trailer playing. Everyone sat down and expected a trailer only to be greeted by the sweet sweet sounds of the RASHIDO theme.

The ceremony ended and the event ended. Stream cut back to their waiting screen while playing Alex's 3rd strike theme. Then stream ended.

Fin

Ah now I remember. Thanks. Sometimes expectations do get let down (and that's an understatement when it comes to this game) but I do think someone messed up when it came to his trailer. They learnt from thier mistake with everyone after though, and I assume it will continue this season.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom