• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V patch releasing March 28th, Alex on the 30th, more info

Tizoc

3 hours til maintence is over?
Cuz I hate how when playing OFFLINE i CAN't use the colors that I unlocked in Survial mode, Capcpom pls...

I thought the demonstrations were going to be pretty worthless, (other than finding out that you get some FM and XP just from watching them) but man was I wrong. I was watching the Necalli one (my main), and it taught me that you don't have to charge Disc's guidance in V-Trigger mode if you're special cancelling in a combo, even on block.

Holy shit what a game changer. Played around in training mode last night for a few hours just seeing all the new opportunities it brings up.

This is the same with Dictator. It makes his EX cancels comboable when he's in Trigger mode.

hitsugi

The demos should really show the inputs instead of just a list of move names... if that's an option and I missed it, then never mind.

LakeEarth

The demos should really show the inputs instead of just a list of move names... if that's an option and I missed it, then never mind.

It's dumb that trials display defaults to move names. I started Ryu's trial, and it listed his target combo 2 (sMP HP HK) as "Sanrengeki". How is an english speaker supposed to figure out what they meant by that without checking the moves list?

I've changed it to motions in the options, but every time I start a new trial I have to change it again.

More persons in the world are able to play SF than thy are able to play VF though. Pretty much everybody knows what a srk, a fireball, a hurricane (uhh...tatsumaki) is...and they'll ask you "what's Ken's super? punches or kicks....In essence, knowledge and familiarity with the game is a million times more common than knowledge and familiarity with VF.

There's lots of stuff that isn't obvious to most players tho: option selects, negative edge, one/three frame links, cancels vs. links, kara throws, fuzzy guard, mix ups, cross-ups, and the list goes on. I don't have a copy of SFV atm to claim it there (tho the vids I've seen confirm it), but SFIV was piss-poor at communicating those things to the player in its trails. You wouldn't know if a hit was a one-frame link until after ages of practice and wondering what you did wrong.

These games at the very least could include information on those techniques and break each step of the trail challenge down to highlight which of those actions are being implemented at which step, and during which frame timing windows. And a reference legend for players to remind themselves of what those things are they can check out any time, right there in the game.

The trials could also be better if they taught things other than combos, like safe pokes, good meaties on wakeup, optimal reversals, optimal counters, etc. All of this information is left out of the way for the average player and is a hell of a lot more useful than learning a bunch of combos you'll likely never use (or land) in a real fight more than 20% of the time if that.

Tik-Tok

There's lots of stuff that isn't obvious to most players tho: option selects, negative edge, one/three frame links, cancels vs. links, kara throws, fuzzy guard, mix ups, cross-ups, and the list goes on. I don't have a copy of SFV atm to claim it there (tho the vids I've seen confirm it), but SFIV was piss-poor at communicating those things to the player in its trails. You wouldn't know if a hit was a one-frame link until after ages of practice and wondering what you did wrong.

These games at the very least could include information on those techniques and break each step of the trail challenge down to highlight which of those actions are being implemented at which step, and during which frame timing windows. And a reference legend for players to remind themselves of what those things are they can check out any time, right there in the game.

The trials could also be better if they taught things other than combos, like safe pokes, good meaties on wakeup, optimal reversals, optimal counters, etc. All of this information is left out of the way for the average player and is a hell of a lot more useful than learning a bunch of combos you'll likely never use (or land) in a real fight more than 20% of the time if that.

Much of the stuff you're talking about is included in the demonstrations they just released.

vg260

Yeah, the trials could be incredibly detailed, but that's an insane amount of programming work to expect in-game though. You can get infinitely deep. Where do you stop? At what point is it not worth the resources to program all that, especially if the game is being rebalanced over time. The game itself is not going to realistically teach you very single advanced technique, set-up, etc. If they try to do all of that for every character, there won't be any resources left for the game itself. I don't think it's reasonable to expect such a thing, honestly.

Also, I've only done Karin's challenges so maybe this is just her, but her combos are crappy and unrealistic. A few are really hard to link, and can be linked to different moves more easily and for more damage. Doesn't make sense.

you are speaking from a place of ignorance though. Option selects and one frame links are not important to SFV, and a lot of the demonstrations cover things you mentioned.

It is basic, but it is well done. And the trials should not be about Bnb combos (tho some are there) IMO, the flashy non practical stuff is there to show off what the character can do, you implement your own play style.

Also, I've only done Karin's challenges so maybe this is just her, but her combos are crappy and unrealistic. A few are really hard to link, and can be linked to different moves more easily and for more damage. Doesn't make sense.
Again trials are about flashy combos and exploring the potential of your character. Why do easy Bnb when as you said, you are already aware of most of them? It is also a sense of accomplishment beating everyone's trials for the player, as well as seeing normals you may not be as familiar with and there linking capabilities.

What people are asking for is an extension of the character demonstration. I don't think "how to effectively play the character" is really what trials are about.

I was surprised how many of hers start w/ jumping hard kick. The game seems to emphasize jumping meaties a lot to start combos. Yeah you don't have to start w/ jumping hard kick, but the game starts lots of her combos w/ that b/c in the team's logic that is the optimal form of the combo.

The trails should focus more on making sure new players understand the fundamentals of what it takes to be competitive, and memorizing long three/one-frame link combos is the last thing on that list.

you are speaking from a place of ignorance though. Option selects and one frame links are not important to SFV, and a lot of the demonstrations cover things you mentioned.

It is basic, but it is well done. And the trials should not be about Bnb combos (tho some are there) IMO, the flashy non practical stuff is there to show off what the character can do, you implement your own play style.
They're not important in the sense where you live or die by knowing them, sure, but if you don't know them and your opponent does, 9/10 your opponent is going to have a much better chance to beat you because of it. But then again your opponent is likely the sort that watches all the advanced videos or frequents sites like Shoryuken, and are probably seasoned. What about those who are at the stage where they have an understanding of some of the basics, may know a BnB, but needs work on understanding specific hidden systems? The trails do nothing for them. You are just practicing insane somewhat-unrealistic-online combos on a dummy who stands there and does nothing. Your opponent won't do that in a real fight unless they're sandbagging you.

Why shouldn't they be about the BnBs and basics? Realistically, a player will not be doing the trail combos in real matches unless they already know how to take advantage of any opportunity that arises to perform them. Which means they need to know about things like zoning, wake-up options, etc. It's like trying to teach a person how to drive an F1 car when they can't even drive manual.

Yeah, the trials could be incredibly detailed, but that's an insane amount of programming work to expect in-game though. You can get infinitely deep. Where do you stop? At what point is it not worth the resources to program all that, especially if the game is being rebalanced over time. The game itself is not going to realistically teach you very single advanced technique, set-up, etc. If they try to do all of that for every character, there won't be any resources left for the game itself. I don't think it's reasonable to expect such a thing, honestly.
It shouldn't be too difficult. Most of it would just be pop-up menus with text descriptions, and brief videos to give you an idea for some things. Like this character here can use crouching Mid Punch as an anti-air, and let's show you the timing for doing so against all opponents, including if there's any difference in timing vs. say Y opponent over X opponent.

They already provide the video demonstrations for the trails, it would not be conceivably magnitudes more work to do this.

kirblar

Jump in combos are almost always a HP/HK or MP/MK to start, depending on cross ups and angles and such. It makes sense to use that in trials.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Break my legs if this has been posted already.

8Q00pEr.jpg

KaYotiX

Banned
Fuck the fact that you can't buy Survival colors.

im not too torn up because the better ones (for me) are under easy/Normal and the ones u can buy.

I do wish they would kind of tweak survival though.....maybe have Hard be 30 matches instead and Hell 50. I want my FM!!! :p

Vice

Again trials are about flashy combos and exploring the potential of your character. Why do easy Bnb when as you said, you are already aware of most of them? It is also a sense of accomplishment beating everyone's trials for the player, as well as seeing normals you may not be as familiar with and there linking capabilities.

What people are asking for is an extension of the character demonstration. I don't think "how to effectively play the character" is really what trials are about.
a few charaters do have basic bnbs. A lot of Laura's and Cammy's are stuff that will get used in an actual match for example. Wanting trials to be useful is fine. Right now they mostly seem to be a couple of useful combos and some busy work.

LakeEarth

im not too torn up because the better ones (for me) are under easy/Normal and the ones u can buy.

I do wish they would kind of tweak survival though.....maybe have Hard be 30 matches instead and Hell 50. I want my FM!!! :p

Depends on the character. Laura has a slick black color that requires beating Hard to unlock.

Jump in combos are almost always a HP/HK or MP/MK to start, depending on cross ups and angles and such. It makes sense to use that in trials.
I'm aware of that. My issue is that for less seasoned players (the so-called casuals Capcom wants to draw in) this will encourage bad jumping habits. There should be more trails that emphasize staying on the ground and using some smart zoning to set up your combos.

They're not important in the sense where you live or die by knowing them, sure, but if you don't know them and your opponent does, 9/10 your opponent is going to have a much better chance to beat you because of it. But then again your opponent is likely the sort that watches all the advanced videos or frequents sites like Shoryuken, and are probably seasoned. What about those who are at the stage where they have an understanding of some of the basics, may know a BnB, but needs work on understanding specific hidden systems? The trails do nothing for them. You are just practicing insane somewhat-unrealistic-online combos on a dummy who stands there and does nothing. Your opponent won't do that in a real fight unless they're sandbagging you.

I don't think option selects and one-frame links exist in SFV.

Acerac

Banned
Wow, Alex seems cool as hell... but not at all my style.

Not gonna complain about the quick 20k fight money though.

KaYotiX

Banned
I'm aware of that. My issue is that for less seasoned players (the so-called casuals Capcom wants to draw in) this will encourage bad jumping habits. There should be more trails that emphasize staying on the ground and using some smart zoning to set up your combos.

agree with this, doing chuns almost all of hers are jump ins

Seriously, are most of the complainers just people who never played SF3 and don't know who Alex is? It's clear his 3rd strike stance is what they're going for.

Like the win animation, its clear that it looks awful in 3d. Nostalgia is fine if it fits, but to blindly follow old looks "just because" is dumb. It worked for Karin, but it looks bad on Alex.

Raitaro

Love Alex so far - he's great! Edit: except the fact that his front leg during his stance does indeed look as if his knee is bending unnaturally (see post below).

That said, call me the biggest casual there is, but just like with IV, some of these so-called entry level trial combos are nearly impossible to do for me (on a gamepad). I just tried Ryu's and could not get past no. 7 after barely managing some of the others. I especially have difficulty with (A) any combo that starts with a jumping attack due to needing to master the timing of the attack itself before doing the rest of the combo, (B) with those that require a Shoryuken followed by a Critical art Hadoken due to the commands overlapping and the Critical coming out instead of the Shoryuken, and (C) those involving his V-trigger due to it staying activated after each failed attempt.

I simply can't fathom the finger dexterity needed to perform some of these once, let alone reliably in battle (on a gamepad) and I really have to wonder what they are worth to me as a basic player who at this stage wants to learn about spacing, when to use which attack type, when and how to use V-triggers effectively by themselves, and some very basic 2/3 hit combo's. To think the game goes from the intro tutorial that shows you how to walk forward to having you do 6 step combo's using jump-ins, special moves and Critical arts is like asking a first time car driver to compete in a Formula 1 Race as his second step.

Is Is there really no better way to teach me this stuff Capcom? Why can't I for instance do things in slow motion (with built-in pauses after each step until I do the next step correctly) to get used to the timing and button inputs, or have an indicator on screen that shows me if I pressed buttons too quickly or slowly. Or any other helpful tool besides having to choose to display either the names of the required moves or their inputs? And the worst part: you only get FM for trials if you manage to complete all of them for a character, so I might as well try no. 10 a few times and quit alltogether if I can't do that one.

If fighting games can only be really enjoyed when one can do combos like these reliably, then IV and now V essentially have made me aware that I'll never get to enjoy them fully. I'm not sure if Capcom had that as a goal in mind with them. Sigh...

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
F8PMCix.png

How do you guys not see that his right leg is bending outwards like a normal human leg in SF3 but bending inwards in SFV.

Clawww

it's just a lack of artistry on capcom's part with regard to translating the stance from 2d into 3d. it would probably benefit from really slight adjustments to the angles of his knees/feet/hips

Top Bottom