• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V patch releasing March 28th, Alex on the 30th, more info

Runback feature is good.. However, they really need to fix RQ system.. I had 4 RQ on me this evening alone..
This especially needs to be addressed since you can't even use actual money to buy things yet. You have no choice but to use FM, and you don't have any guarantee that you will actually get it upon winning since RQing is even more encouraged now.

SaikyoBro

Oh my jeesas.. Karin's Challenge 6 was so hard to do..

Honestly probably the hardest trial in the game for me right now, my arm was sore for most of the next day after that. Newfound respect for that character, can't imagine doing stuff like that in every single match.

Its definitely better than it was before, but if you can't practice and internalize these things within the context of the tutorial, then it will be a bit harder to grasp the concepts. There's a massive difference between reading about something and watching some one else do it versus practicing it and finding out through the game if you're performing the technique/concept correctly. They need to update these demonstrations to be more interactive in the future. Its still worlds away from what games like KI, Skullgirls, BlazBlue, and GGXRD offer in their training and tutorial modes.
Even those games don't compare to VF4: Evolution's comprehensive teaching tools. It's a shame that with all these technological leaps over the many years gone by, no one has yet to surpass it.

Baleoce

Even those games don't compare to VF4: Evolution's comprehensive teaching tools. It's a shame that with all these technological leaps over the many years gone by, no one has yet to surpass it.

Honestly, I don't get it. I don't get why Capcom gets a free pass on this kind of stuff when there's games like Virtua Fighter who've shown how it should be done. Okay free pass isn't fair, there are people who do call them out on it. But a staggering amount of people will tell you to just go on YouTube, and that none of it needs to be self contained.

I tried to convert the maintenance times to GMT last night before bed half asleep, and came out with 2pm-6pm GMT. It's just coming up for 2pm. Maybe they announced the maintenance starting too early? Either way I'd expect the online to go down in just under 20 minutes.

And you were right!

Honestly, I don't get it. I don't get why Capcom gets a free pass on this kind of stuff when there's games like Virtua Fighter who've shown how it should be done. Okay free pass isn't fair, there are people who do call them out on it. But a staggering amount of people will tell you to just go on YouTube, and that none of it needs to be self contained.

capcom has been getting shitted on for the last month and the sales have been trash. I don't think they're getting a free pass lol

Shito

Also, both sides of this argument are right: yeah, Capcom should make better tutorials, but in the meantime the information is largely available on the Internet.
The second point doesn't excuse the first one, but the first one doesn't prevent people who want to learn to do so.

jeemer

And you were right!

I'm glad! I'm really hoping they'll stick to schedule (or even finish early... right guys?)

Since they're not doing server maintenance all evening in the UK for a change, it'd be nice to be able to get home, walk the dog, grab some dinner and then get a lobby with some friends without any hiccups. We'll see if that goes to plan! :)

gimme dat rashid genie costume

So has SFV marketing budget been pulled since the launch sales. Surprised no tease or trailer released days or weeks ahead of character release. Were back to Poverty Boyz Capcom money.

KingBroly

Banned
Also, both sides of this argument are right: yeah, Capcom should make better tutorials, but in the meantime the information is largely available on the Internet.
The second point doesn't excuse the first one, but the first one doesn't prevent people who want to learn to do so.
Shouldnt be up to old players to teach new ones. KI has a great tutorial.

thelastword

Banned
More persons in the world are able to play SF than thy are able to play VF though. Pretty much everybody knows what a srk, a fireball, a hurricane (uhh...tatsumaki) is...and they'll ask you "what's Ken's super? punches or kicks....In essence, knowledge and familiarity with the game is a million times more common than knowledge and familiarity with VF.

So has SFV marketing budget been pulled since the launch sales. Surprised no tease or trailer released days or weeks ahead of character release. Were back to Poverty Boyz Capcom money.

Nah they just realized Alex is worthless

The trials are stupid, the advanced ones really serve no purpose. Like I'm not going to do Rashid's ones in an actual match at all

The trials are stupid, the advanced ones really serve no purpose. Like I'm not going to do Rashid's ones in an actual match at all
At this point they should just promote everything in the update like they did the features video.

I can and have used the Karin one's in matches I think they there are more optimal ones though. Im mainly copying what Justin and Mago are doing with the character. Mago is consistently hitting all the hard combos in tournaments.

LakeEarth

#9 is pretty useful as it shows how to use meter to get extra damage from a s.hk crush counter, but I agree. #8 and #10 aren't practical in any way.

The one that bugs me is his trial #3, where it has a s.mp to c.lp link even though s.mp to c.mk reaches further and hits harder while leading to a more damaging combo. Why would you use c.lp over c.mk? It's a tighter frame trap, I guess, but the mode is for combos not block strings.

Pompadour

It's weird they didn't put out a basic trailer but I can see them realizing there's no point when they have no way to make DLC money right now. They don't need to advertise a character that is free for everyone, costing $0 in real and fight money.

LakeEarth

It's weird they didn't put out a basic trailer but I can see them realizing there's no point when they have no way to make DLC money right now. They don't need to advertise a character that is free for everyone, costing $0 in real and fight money.

Yeah but it gives the game positive attention, something it is in desperate need of.

Excuse me?

He's a jackass New Yorker who slams people, get him off the stage!

At this point they should just promote everything in the update like they did the features video.

They really should. No need for character trailers at this point, just chuck them all in.

#9 is pretty useful as it shows how to use meter to get extra damage from a s.hk crush counter, but I agree. #8 and #10 aren't practical in any way.

The one that bugs me is his trial #3, where it has a s.mp to c.lp link even though s.mp to c.mk reaches further and hits harder while leading to a more damaging combo. Why would you use c.lp over c.mk? It's a tighter frame trap, I guess, but the mode is for combos not block strings.

9's ok. 8 and 10 are stupid as hell.

They probably did that on trial 3 just because

I'm not sure this type of tutorial content was what I was looking for.

The demonstrations explain a very small selection of mechanics for each character and then the trials are "Do these difficult five move combos."

What about things like "Let's slowly go through what Ryu does in various situations like being attacked from the air, getting up from being knocked down, some basic and easy to do combos and when to use them, how to best initiate, what type of counters are good to use, etc".
the demonstration does teach you the basics of each character.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Oh my jeesas.. Karin's Challenge 6 was so hard to do..

I rage quit at Ryu 4 last night. I don't know what voodoo is required to Air MP+hurricane Kick in the proper timing window. The special move doesn't seem to ever register properly until he lands on the ground after the punch no matter how accurately and lightning quick I am chaining the two moves(its like Ryu just locks up after the MP connects for a second despite pulling off the motion for the kick perfectly). I guess I have resigned myself to just being scrub status...:(

I rage quit at Ryu 4 last night. I don't know what voodoo is required to Air MP+hurricane Kick in the proper timing window. The special move doesn't seem to ever register properly until he lands on the ground after the punch no matter how accurately and lightning quick I am chaining the two moves(its like Ryu just locks up after the MP connects for a second despite pulling off the motion for the kick perfectly). I guess I have resigned myself to just being scrub status...:(

I believe you have to cancel the first hit of the j.MP then go into air tatsu.

From when I was working on the challenges last night, it felt like it only worked when I canceled the first hit of the j.MP into tatsu. Once I got that window it was easy peasy.

vg260

The demonstrations explain a very small selection of mechanics for each character and then the trials are "Do these difficult five move combos."

What about things like "Let's slowly go through what Ryu does in various situations like being attacked from the air, getting up from being knocked down, some basic and easy to do combos and when to use them, how to best initiate, what type of counters are good to use, etc".

I think building something like that in-game with all of the different possible scenarios is much easier said than done, and much better explained by someone playing the game. I think people vastly underestimate how much more time consuming that would be to program than to just demonstrate by someone playing. It would be cool to have something that exhaustive in game, but the value for programing that in is just not there. I know "go to YouTube" sounds dismissive, but it really is a much more effective way to break a character down like that.

Piccoro

^ This is correct. In the air press MP and immediately perform the air tatsu. Don't let the MP (animation) end. Ryu can only hit once, then air tatsu.

Also, remember that you can watch a demonstration of the trial in the pause menu.

RS4-

Pretty sure I accidentally got both hits of the j.mp then tatsu. Weird I know.

Hopefully they patch in another 10-20 trials just for the hell of it (and fm)

You should just be putting it in straight after you connect with the medium punch and it should cancel. Are you doing that or waiting a second and then doing it?

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!

From when I was working on the challenges last night, it felt like it only worked when I canceled the first hit of the j.MP into tatsu. Once I got that window it was easy peasy.

^ This is correct. In the air press MP and immediately perform the air tatsu. Don't let the MP (animation) end. Ryu can only hit once, then air tatsu.

Also, remember that you can watch a demonstration of the trial in the pause menu.

Thanks, I'll try again. Maybe I wasn't fast enough to allow the Air-MP to cancel prior to hit 2. I could swear that the few times I watched the demo that both hits landed(making me think that the window allowed for the kick to be smoothly performed during the two blows). I could be wrong though as I was an anxious, frustrated mess in the 20+ minutes of repeated attempts on this one.

You do realize Capcom has also been realize more character specific tutorials on their youtube page, too, right?
One for each character: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZGql2q-G1k

You should check them out.

Lmao, just stop the pr bruh. They wanted 2 mil by the end of this month and afe nowhere close. This wasin additionto expecting it to have legs. What an embarrassing poster.

"Lack of interest" (y'know, the subject I was actually REPLYING TO) was not the reason the sales have ben lackluster so far. The primary issues has been the lack of single player content, which is already being addressed. The idea that future updates and patches "won't result in any more sales" is stupid when lack of content is the main reason the game didn't sell well in the first place. Nothing I said was wrong. The game will continue to get exposure all year round, and that exposure WILL help its sales.

Kinda dumb for them to release it day of, but *shrug.*

Why is releasing a trailer for something on the day its actually USABLE dumb? They announced the character months ago and already showed screen shots of him weeks ago.

CDV13

I had never seen that m.P to Air Tatsu used before this trial. I have fought some pretty solid Ryus too. May actually have learned a useful maneuver from the trials.

Also, one of the later trials is pretty easy to pull after a heavy kick crush counter hit. Just the typical h.K > l.K > Tatsu with a heavy punch and V-Trigger added. I didn't think about the heavy punch and that's solid stun and damage added.

Pejo

I thought the demonstrations were going to be pretty worthless, (other than finding out that you get some FM and XP just from watching them) but man was I wrong. I was watching the Necalli one (my main), and it taught me that you don't have to charge Disc's guidance in V-Trigger mode if you're special cancelling in a combo, even on block.

Holy shit what a game changer. Played around in training mode last night for a few hours just seeing all the new opportunities it brings up.

Top Bottom