• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V Roster Discussion: P-P-P-P-PATTERN BREAKER

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
I wonder if Capcom will delay SF5's release, both Ken and Claw both look WiP models @_@
As they should be since the game is at most still 8 months away.

Shadoken

SF 3 had some pretty well designed characters , yea some were weird but a majority are very good.

I still feel people being mad salty over SF 2 over SF 3 and bashing Capcom just need to get over it. But anyway this argument will be finally put to rest once the DLC characters are out and we can easily see which series character are selling more.

From the other thread, Vega's official character art:
11059858_10153608628087147_7469361203896682782_o.jpg

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
Don't forget people right now what Capcom needs is to have all the Base models and Fighter Mechanics working since testing and rebalancing is more important right now.

They can change the visuals and polished the models later.

Sayad

In that specific case I meant include the male Art of Fighting characters since their clothes also ripped in the original game.

Though generally I would still say that excluding one gender from any sort of fansevice in a game that features both in central roles is not a good practice. I have nothing against fansevice obviously, just want to see it be balanced.
A bit late, but, this makes me wonder if you actually played the game, with all the shirtless men, dressed men with shirtless alts or underwear only ults, nude male final boss and nude Ash and Saiki in story mode! Yet you think the game lacks male fanservice because no AoF male's cloths get ripped off when they lose?!

Hell, even with custom colors, for the little time I tried to play the game online thanks to the awful netcode, there was a nice balance between nude Raiden and bottomless Yuri.
To think about it, the bad netcode might have been a blessing in disguise. ;p

Not everything has to be 1:1 long as there's no obvious bias.

Pompadour

Question: was there ever any clue for Vega that we might have overlooked or did he really come out of nowhere? Is he one of the characters that got the biggest changes in USFIV's Omega mode perhaps? Did he get a new toy (announced) recently? Anything at all?

I don't think he came out of nowhere. He's on a very short list of characters from Street Fighter 2 that I wanted to see in SFV. He also is a pretty unique archetype in Street Fighter 2 which is important to consider as Capcom wants these characters to be very different from each other.

I love how they changed Vega for V. I've always loved the character design but felt he was somewhat boring to actually play as in IV.

SF 3 had some pretty well designed characters , yea some were weird but a majority are very good.

I still feel people being mad salty over SF 2 over SF 3 and bashing Capcom just need to get over it. But anyway this argument will be finally put to rest once the DLC characters are out and we can easily see which series character are selling more.
SF2 characters will easily outsell SF3 characters. That's the whole reason why SF2 characters should be DLC. Everyone's going to buy them.

Like I said in the reveal thread, it makes no sense to radically change Vega into a stance character where his claw and mask are irrelevant. His gear is the whole point of the character -- it's the tradeoff of fearsome normals at the cost of losing your gear.

Why not just make a new character to reflect this concept? :mad:

This is as someone who would pick Claw over any other World Warrior.

only thing I hope gets improved or changed (besides characters and backgrounds of course) is the EX color scheme. It stands out as overly colorful and IMO doesn't really fit the tone well. I don' know why each character doesn't just exhibit there V-Trigger special effects when doing EX moves. Think I'll ask Capcom about it.

Anyone else agree EX moves should share special effect with each characters V-trigger?

only thing I hope gets improved or changed (besides characters and backgrounds of course) is the EX color scheme. It stands out as overly colorful and IMO doesn't really fit the tone well. I don' know why each character doesn't just exhibit there V-Trigger special effects when doing EX moves. Think I'll ask Capcom about it.

Anyone else agree EX moves should share special effect with each characters V-trigger?
No, EX moves need to be easily distinguishable while also not being visually distracting so you can know exactly when one is coming without having bubbly shit floating around a character or Bison teleporting around for no reason

Clawww

EX colors will be cosmetic DLC

KAL2006

Banned
No, EX moves need to be easily distinguishable while also not being visually distracting so you can know exactly when one is coming without having bubbly shit floating around a character or Bison teleporting around for no reason

I agree. I prefer ed when EX moves had ink effects like the original Gameplay. You can easily distinguish an ex moves based on the ink effects on moves and it is also visually appealing. Not a fan of Yellow tint for EX moves.

Disappointing. Vega would be way down my list anyway since I don't like playing as him, but I also didn't want more weapons users (especially instant kill blade weapons). And they gave him his inferior alt costume.

It is surprising though. I definitely thought Balrog and Zangief would have a better chance than Vega.

Lulubop

Because they are some of the most popular characters and appeared in different rumors, being one of them from Siliconera.

Well yea, they're the two characters I want most and I'm positive Urien is in but your character select thing makes no sense.

KAL2006

Banned
Some ideas for returning characters they can change up

Dhalsim
Give him a beard. We need more bearded characters. His V Trigger can be flight and ectra flame moves. Double tap in the air to fly across the screen his Yoga flame turns into Yoga Inferno. His V Skill should be his Teleport but make it more faster.

Feilong
Give him Bruce Lees famous Yellow jumpsuit. Give him more Bruce Lee inspired moves such as 1 inch punch. His V Trigger he can pull out Nunchucks fir extra hit combos with more range, for example his rekka would be with his nunchucks.

Blanka
I dint really know how they can redesign him. But his V Tiger they can make all his moves be electrified. Such as his ball turns into election ball. Also his V Skill a fruit is dropped from the air which can hit an enemy. Once on the floor he can kick it as a ground projectile similar to his fruit move in Alpha 3.

Zangief
Let him wear his red intro costume from Alpha series. They can give him his stomp move from Omega SFIV. They can also have his air throw super from Alpha series as a normal command air throw similar to Hugo. His Lariat can be his V Skill. As for V Trigger I can't think on anything, perhaps his Fists become glowing improving his banashing Fists, lariats and punch normals as well as command throws.

How often are fighting game character designs changed after being revealed? I can't think of any. Not saying it won't happen. Just seems unlikely.

Killer Instinct - Glacius (went through a complete change), TJ Combo (face)

Mortal Kombat X - Cassie Cage (face), Tanya (face)

Tanya didn't just "get changed" she was drastic. Like complete different model (head wise)
I remember th first reveal of her... Yesh.

Forgot about the hair change as well, but yeah. It was a great change. Which is why people should wait until the game releases before judgement of a WIP.

SUPARSTARX

But why Vega? This is so lame. I'd rather see Sagat. Give him some Adon moves.

Make Sagat's V-trigger spawn some tigers that run across the screen giving him attack advantage like Orchid's Leopards in Killer Instinct on Xbox One. DO IT!!!!

Shadoken

But why Vega? This is so lame. I'd rather see Sagat. Give him some Adon moves.

Make Sagat's V-trigger spawn some tigers that run across the screen giving him attack advantage like Orchid's Leopards in Killer Instinct on Xbox One. DO IT!!!!

Sagat doing a jaguar kick just seems hilarious Lmao. With that said yes , I would love a redone Sagat so hes less Shotolike.

You make a valid point , but we still have Zero information on how well 3S : OE has performed. Which had none of the issues you mentioned. Namely "popular platforms" or "3D Fighters are the cool shit syndrome". Capcom does , and if they are shoving SF2 again , it means HDR just did that much better.

By that logic, I could easily site Makoto, Dudley, Ibuki, Elena, Yun, Yang, and Hugo's inclusion in SF4 as evidence of SF3's current popularity.

I mean, if Capcom was shoving these SF3 characters, it means SF3 must be in demand, right?

Also SFA3 did 1m on the PS1 alone. No info on Dreamcast,Saturn and PSP numbers.

Actually, A3 sales on Dreamcast were comparable to SF3's sales on Dreamcast.
This is evidence that SF3 might have sold almost as well, if not as well as A3 on PS1 (if PS1 could handle it).

Capcom have shoved SF2 down everybodys throat over and over again , and hence they are iconic and recognizable. Given Capcoms current financial state , they would want to "play it safe" rather than risk alienating the average joe with an unfamiliar roster.

This is exactly what they did in the 90's, too. How'd that work out for them?

Releasing ONE game without SF2 characters amid a sea of SF2 clones and rehashes didn't kill SF.

The sea of SF2 clones and rehashes itself killed SF.

Vega is kind of a cool character, so Im happy enough that he's in. The puffy shirt looks good and I like to see a bit of blood too.
I was hoping for Mika, Juri or a new character though.

Shadoken

By that logic, I could easily site Makoto, Dudley, Ibuki, Elena, Yun, Yang, and Hugo's inclusion in SF4 as evidence of SF3's current popularity.

I mean, if Capcom is shoving these SF3 characters, it means SF3 must be in demand, right?

That makes no sense , SF 3 characters were added after SF 2 and Alpha. I dont see your point.

AtticuSMT

Banned
I think I'm the only person here who doesn't want to see either mika or Karin in, I feel like they wouldn't be as fun to play as more modern versions of their character ideas, like Fei Long as a rekka character and El Fuerte as a psuedo grappler. But maybe that's just me. But if they do come back (which I hope they don't but on the what if chance) I wonder if they would be drastically overhauled like birdie was. And if they change their play styles drastically with that, I would be more excited and interested in playing them.

Now I can't help but wonder what they would look like...

Shadoken

This is exactly what they did in the 90's, too. How'd that work out for them?

Releasing ONE game without SF2 characters amid a sea of SF2 clones and rehashes didn't kill SF.

The sea of SF2 clones and rehashes itself killed SF.

Am sorry but WHAT?

Putting SF 2 characters in games is the last thing that killed Street Fighter. The roster choice is the last thing to blame. FYI I am not saying SF 3 killed SF , thats a pretty dumb statement on its own.

But what on earth does Releasing way too many titles have anything to do with SF 2 characters? Are you saying if SF 3 characters were in CvS2 , MvC2, Alpha 3? ... SF would have fared better?

Its like asking why are Scorpion,SubZero, Raiden,Liu Kang,Reptile ...etc (OG MK1) characters in every MK game. Or why Kazuya,paul,king..etc are in every Tekken.

Agreed. The older build didn't have the orange glow, it just had the liquid effect (it last showed up in the Bison or Nash Trailer)

ZdkDzk

Am sorry but WHAT?

Putting SF 2 characters in games is the last thing that killed Street Fighter. The roster choice is the last thing to blame. FYI I am not saying SF 3 killed SF , thats a pretty dumb statement on its own.

But what on earth does Releasing way too many titles have anything to do with SF 2 characters? Are you saying if SF 3 characters were in CvS2 , MvC2, Alpha 3? ... SF would have fared better?

Its like asking why are Scorpion,SubZero, Raiden,Liu Kang,Reptile ...etc (OG MK1) characters in every MK game. Or why Kazuya,paul,king..etc are in every Tekken.

He's saying that the flood of sf2 rehashes (not necessarily the cast) were what killed sf, but everyone blames sf3 for being too different in a sea of slightly different games.

Pompadour

I don't like the color either but I believe they did that to give warning to the other player what move is being used. The reason it isn't their V-Trigger is so players aren't confused by the two. I'd like an effect similar to the EX moves in KoF13.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom