• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V Roster Discussion: P-P-P-P-PATTERN BREAKER

Status
Not open for further replies.
making it a year before they become irrelevant doesn't work in my book.

I want at least poison back.

I sure as hell don't want Sean, they said no clones , Ken is already a stretch.
If a character came late to the party for SF4 I doubt they will be coming to SF5 in the near future (if ever). Plus we don't need anymore lame playstyles back for SF5....

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
  • V-Skill: Press MP+MK to do a special move whenever you want, as it costs no V-Gague to use. See Ryu's parry
  • V-Reverse: Pretty much an Alpha Counter (I think the command varies from character to character). This costs 1/3 of your V-Gague.
  • V-Trigger: A big move that either gives the character a massive buff (like Ryu's Denjin mode) or a powerful move (like Charlie's teleport). This uses up all of your V-Gague (how much V-Gague you have to fill varies from character to character).

Thanks! :D

GorillaJu

I can't be the only one hoping Karin specifically doesn't make it in, or if she does, with a very different design. If they have to include some weeb sailor fuku shit then I'd rather they make a new character because everything about Karin is boring.

I can't be the only one hoping Karin specifically doesn't make it in, or if she does, with a very different design. If they have to include some weeb sailor fuku shit then I'd rather they make a new character because everything about Karin is boring.

Then don't play as her?

What is wrong with wanting more appealing characters and fewer unappealing ones?

That's an opinion. Not a fact. Clearly Karin Kanzuki is a pretty popular character that people really want back. She was unique and hasn't appeared in a game in quite some time which increased her popularity even more.

You want change to character that you don't like. I could somewhat understand it if you actually liked the character, but you don't.

Man gtfoh. I love Karin and her rich bitch snobbish ways. Not to mention she has one of the best fighting move sets in the series.

Go delete someone boring.
Like Sakura.

Honestly I want like a couple of SF3 vets back no more than 3-4 Yun mandatory. The rest I rather have new characters. That's a roster of 9-10 vets and everything else is just new ground. Cammy and Chun's stale ass setups show that SFV really need to ditch established characters unless they plan to change them up like Bison and Charlie. Cammy could definitely use some target combos. Other than that, SFV is looking good as a whole but really needs more variety in hit/counter responses.

GorillaJu

That's an opinion. Not a fact. Clearly Karin Kanzuki is a pretty popular character that people really want back. She was unique and hasn't appeared in a game in quite some time which increased her popularity even more.

You want change to character that you don't like. I could somewhat understand it if you actually liked the character, but you don't.

It isn't difficult to understand. I think Karin is a boring character ans they'd have to change her to make her not boring. If she was not boring I might want to play her thus increasing the appeal of the game.

I mean of course it's my opinion, and not fact. Who would ever use words like ‘boring’ and ‘unappealing’ and claim its fact?

vulva

slightly blurry and huge pic but should be legible for the most part
UvbivXp.jpg

Greenzxy

No one in the right mind likes Karin because of her character design, they like her for her playstyle.

ChouGoku

I just want more 3rd strike characters, Makoto, Alex, Necro, Oro, Urien and Sean.

And a 3rd strike style soundtrack :'(

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
So I need Crimson Viper and Poison to both be in this game.

Odds of that happening?

Odds of that happening?
No one really knows, but my best guess is 1%. C. Viper maybe, but I don't think that she's very popular (could do some interesting things with her though). Ono will probably only include one FF rep in the beginning and might add someone who hasn't been in a SF game recently (so no Poison). I think down they road they might add Cody or Guy again because they are by far the most popular FF reps... I believe from a recent interview they are revealing a returning fighter at Evo? So we'll see there...

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
C. Viper maybe, but I don't think that she's very popular

Oh really? -_- She got a pretty big push early on, I just assume C. Viper was popular enough to come back as she was the first big "new" character to join the series in IV. How does Capcom determine popularity anyways, just by most used characters at the tournaments, or do they check PSN for most used characters?

C. Viper's got a pretty unique fighting style too compared to the rest of the cast... She's my main.

Dremark

Banned

I'm sure there's people sharing just about every opinion that could be had, but she's one of the most highly requested characters.

I do hope they give her an updated outfit as her main costume (use the original as an alternative). The time period this game takes place in is far past when she should still be a high school student and it was kind of stupid in SF4 for Sakura to still be wearing a uniform when she should have been like 23 or something.

Didn't a capcom rep say it would be a newcomer?

They said we'd be seeing a new character very soon so it's implied that one of the next reveals is new. I'm hoping they keep doing them in sets of two and we get Karin and a new character at comic con.

Yeah I was gonna say, isn't she just a bunch of rekkas?

Rekkas, counters, command through, anti-air super combo. I'm not super familiar with SF5's systems as I haven't played it but I think she'd fit pretty well.

No one in the right mind likes Karin because of her character design, they like her for her playstyle.

I like her for both.

Odds of that happening?

Poison was a pretty late addition to SF4 and never appeared as a playable character in SF prior.

C. Viper is one of the more popular SF4 newcomers.

I could see them both getting in eventually, but I wouldn't be surprised if neither of them made the initial roster. It would be good to see Viper again, I never really used her but her playstyle and character were pretty unique and she fit into the SF universe well.

Dremark

Banned
Oh really? -_- She got a pretty big push early on, I just assume C. Viper was popular enough to come back as she was the first big "new" character to join the series in IV. How does Capcom determine popularity anyways, just by most used characters at the tournaments, or do they check PSN for most used characters?

C. Viper's got a pretty unique fighting style too compared to the rest of the cast... She's my main.

Capcom did a poll a few years back, then completely ignored it when they made USF4. If you look back a few pages it was linked.

Odds of that happening?
I would love to see Poison in SFV. I think her style would suit the new type of gameplay really well, plus I'd like to see her get a character model that better complements her original design.

Her SFIV look was too severe IMO.

enigmatic_alex44

Capcom did a poll a few years back, then completely ignored it when they made USF4. If you look back a few pages it was linked.

LOOOL typical Capcom

I would love to see Poison in SFV. I think her style would suit the new type of gameplay really well, plus I'd like to see her get a character model that better complements her original design.

Her SFIV look was too severe IMO.

Hmm, I loved her look and thought her sass translated really well <3 Just too "exposed" would be my only complaint, but the big pink hair, jeans, heels and police hat combo need to stay

The art was on point though

Hmm, I loved her look and thought her sass translated really well <3 Just too "exposed" would be my only complaint, but the big pink hair, jeans, heels and police hat combo need to stay

The art was on point though
The art and personality were on point, but just like with the most of the female character, the battle models looked too garish IMO. Any delicacy of their features was lost. (Rose and Poison I felt got the worst of this.)

I wish we could get a model that looks similar to this artwork from CFA...
Z4zNW3m.jpg

Ignoring it is a strong word when Capcom just used preexisting assets, aka 4 models from SFxT plus a reskinned Cammy model to "add" characters to SF4. USF4 was a budget addition to SF series to keep it relevant in the face of other newer releases.. They weren't going to build completely new models for this edition ever...

Dremark

Banned
Ignoring it is a strong word when Capcom just used preexisting assets, aka 4 models from SFxT plus a reskinned Cammy model to "add" characters to SF4. USF4 was a budget addition to SF series to keep it relevant in the face of other newer releases.. They weren't going to build completely new models for this edition ever...

What's the correct word to use? The poll had literally zero bearing on the decisions made. You can say they were just reusing assets to update the game, and you're probably right, but that doesn't change the fact that thier selections for the roster didn't reflect the poll results at all.

Viper would make me extremely happy.

but she was 34th in their popularity poll.

we'll see.
I wouldn't worry too much about that, considering we got Birdie who was way at the bottom.

Saying that, I don't think we'll get Viper right away, Juri will be the first SFIV female in, and after that they'll probably go with Abel to balance things out and because of his connection to Charlie and Bison. Viper will probably be after that IMO.

Exacly.
This poll was never meant for USF4, it was obviously part of the SF5 preproduction pipeline.
By the way, back when this poll was launched people saw it as a hint that SF5 was entering production, and they were proved right.
Capcom will use this poll in correlation with character archetypes they think would work in the game.

Raitaro

SDCC reveal will the be the new UDON designed char

Wait...has it really been confirmed that we'll get UDON designed characters in V?

I sure hope not as I've never really been a fan of their art to be honest. It never felt canonical / authentic to me despite their close relationship with Capcom USA. I'll take Ikeno or Akiman designs over UDON designs any day in other words.

That said, I am very curious in which direction they will go with the newcomers in V. Can't wait for SDCC to see more.

Wait...has it really been confirmed that we'll get UDON designed characters in V?

I sure hope not as I've never really been a fan of their art to be honest. It never felt canonical / authentic to me despite their close relationship with Capcom USA. I'll take Ikeno or Akiman designs over UDON designs any day in other words.

That said, I am very curious in which direction they will go with the newcomers in V. Can't wait for SDCC to see more.

It's just an assumption based on Udon merchandising tease for Comic Con.
The last artwork shows notable differences from the others (showing respectively RMika and Poison) :
2 question marks, "Artwork not final", unrecognizable SF character.
And Ono has confirmed his presence at Comic Con.
Could be nothing, could be something.

Sesha

I believe the SDCC reveal will be a veteran from 4. Maybe Juri.

What's the correct word to use? The poll had literally zero bearing on the decisions made. You can say they were just reusing assets to update the game, and you're probably right, but that doesn't change the fact that thier selections for the roster didn't reflect the poll results at all.

Saying budget concerns trumps fan wishes is probably a better way to put it.

I think a lot of non-4 vets are very likely for the initial release of 5 just because this is probably when they have the most budget, without knowing anything about the actual budget or production.

I tried taking a better pic but since it was so busy I kept getting pushed around slightly but I'm glad it's of some use

edit: also in case anyone wants this

WsKlv5G.jpg

No Tenshokyaku, no Hazanshu, no aerial cartwheels, single-handed Kikoken is EX only.

Chun-Li, why do they hate you so? =(

That poll that you're referring to was for Street Fighter V. They've mentioned it several times in interviews. They've just said that they aren't going to follow the poll 100% because they also have certain visions for characters (as we sa with Birdie). Plus character reveals would be boring if you could just look at the top 13 or so characters and know that they're all going to be part of the vanilla roster.

KAL2006

Banned

I agree with this. Why bring a lame character like Karin back when there are tons of great characters that haven't been in SF for a while like Alex, Q, Sodom and Maki. As for a rekka character I would like them to bring back Feilong with some new moves, perhaps give him the 1 inch punch. Make it his V Skill it could send enemies flying back.

I would like the following
Feilong - Rekka playstyle
Maki - Running dash mix up playstyle
Haggar - Pure Grappler
Alex - Semi Grappler
Dhalsim - Keep away playstyle
Q - Charge mixup playstyle
Urien - Aegis trap playstyle
Sagat - Zoner playstyle

Basically we need variety in this game not just people's favourites.

Dremark

Banned
I agree with this. Why bring a lame character like Karin back when there are tons of great characters that haven't been in SF for a while like Alex, Q, Sodom and Maki. As for a rekka character I would like them to bring back Feilong with some new moves, perhaps give him the 1 inch punch. Make it his V Skill it could send enemies flying back.

I would like the following
Feilong - Rekka playstyle
Maki - Running dash mix up playstyle
Haggar - Pure Grappler
Alex - Semi Grappler
Dhalsim - Keep away playstyle
Q - Charge mixup playstyle
Urien - Aegis trap playstyle
Sagat - Zoner playstyle

Basically we need variety in this game not just people's favourites.

Because not everyone has the same opinion of her being a lame character like you do. You're trying to paint this like it's a fan favorite vs. variety issue when in truth, it's simply that you don't like her and don't want her in. Fei Long doesn't offer any variety Karin doesn't.

SephLuis

Every leak list had Juri, so I hope they announce her soon.

After SDDC, we can expect another announcement at EVO, right ?

Also, about the beta, can we play indefinetely or just a few hours determined by Capcom to test their servers ? I really want to make the pre-order to get the beta, but not to play only a couple of hours and the wait the release.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom