• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V Roster Discussion: P-P-P-P-PATTERN BREAKER

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dremark

Banned
Every leak list had Juri, so I hope they announce her soon.

After SDDC, we can expect another announcement at EVO, right ?

Also, about the beta, can we play indefinetely or just a few hours determined by Capcom to test their servers ? I really want to make the pre-order to get the beta, but not to play only a couple of hours and the wait the release.

It's entirely possible all the leak lists could be complete fabrications and she's not in. That being said, I think her chances are rather good regardless.

I think we can expect announcements at every upcoming event Capcom will have a presence at. I think this is part of why they haven't revealed too many yet.

The Beta starts and runs for 5 days. I am assuming it will be available to play that entire period. If you don't want to get locked in with your preorder use Amazon and cancel later if needed.

alstein

I wouldn't worry too much about that, considering we got Birdie who was way at the bottom.

Saying that, I don't think we'll get Viper right away, Juri will be the first SFIV female in, and after that they'll probably go with Abel to balance things out and because of his connection to Charlie and Bison. Viper will probably be after that IMO.

I can't see Abel and Alex both making it. They fill similar roles, unless one of them really changes. Omega Abel might be able to be turned into a purer grappler though.

If a 2nd SF4 char makes it in, I'm guessing it will be Rufus of all people, or possibly Oni.

Qvoth

No Tenshokyaku, no Hazanshu, no aerial cartwheels, single-handed Kikoken is EX only.

Chun-Li, why do they hate you so? =(
I dunno about the rest, but hazanshu is definitely still in, it's just not a special anymore, I think it's 3mk input now

nded

Akuma only makes a cameo in a mini-game where he sells your character some giant fruit and you have to figure out if he gave you the correct amount of change.

I don't know why you guys are hype about Juri, I'm assured she will be a shoe in... Gotta be hype for those not so popular characters like Maki. Hell for some reason in that poll Juli and Juni are higher than characters like Guy... I don't know why..

C. Viper is the antithesis of what SFV is trying to be. No chance, just like Fuerte.

I don't know why you guys are hype about Juri, I'm assured she will be a shoe in... Gotta be hype for those not so popular characters like Maki. Hell for some reason in that poll Juli and Juni are higher than characters like Guy... I don't know why..
Maybe it's because Guy sucks.

I can see Juri getting in.

I can't see Abel and Alex both making it. They fill similar roles, unless one of them really changes. Omega Abel might be able to be turned into a purer grappler though.

If a 2nd SF4 char makes it in, I'm guessing it will be Rufus of all people, or possibly Oni.
I don't think Alex and Abel are so similar that they'll cancel each other out, plus Alex isn't confirmed yet either.

I doubt Rufus will be in anytime soon. Birdie doesn't play the same as him, but I think he's meant to fill the comic relief role initially. I think he'd be the last one they add from SFIV personally. (And I don't think Oni would make it in before Akuma.)

C. Viper is the antithesis of what SFV is trying to be. No chance, just like Fuerte.

Maybe it's because Guy sucks.

I can see Juri getting in.
But is he worse than Cammy clones (I guess they technically aren't cloned from her, but Bison dolls I guess)? Actually I'm surprised Decapre made it in USF4 instead of Juli or Juni.. Could just mod Cammy's face model if they wanted to go the cheap route and make Juli or Juni...

ScribbleD

Juri, Hakan, and Viper would all be fantastic SF4 returns. I'm way more interested to see which 3S chars come back, though. I'm desperately hoping to finally see Q again, and I'd love Makoto to come back again.

Sayad

Nah, C.Viper is nowhere near Fuerte level of bullshit during neutral, and she can't pull her SFIV stuff with SFV's wake up game. I'd say her chance is much better than Fuerte, probably the highest of SFIV original characters after Juri.

Doosi

Banned
Okay I have a couple of rumors for you GAF. They are probably true.

Ken Bogard is well-known in the french VS fighting community. He's a fighting games commentator and also has a weekly show about VS Fighting on french Web TV "Gaming Live". He apparently has a source at Capcom. All the infos he had in the past turned out to be true and he's not the kind of guy who spread out ridiculous rumors.

So take the following has you want GAF, but I'm 100% trusting that dude.

He has also a weekly "shiny hunting" Pokemon show on that web tv. So on his December 5th Show, while playing, he talked a lot about Street Fighter V. He said he knew stuff and that he'll dropp discretely hint during the show. Here's what he said.

- Street Fighter V won't have "Super" or "Hyper" editions. Just updates. He won't know if these updates will be free or DLC and does not know if they'll be balancing updates or will add characters and stages.
- The number of characters in the starting roster will be between SFIII and SF IV. He knows the number but not the returning cast.
- There'll be 4 new characters and he knows 3 of them.
- Focus Attacks won't return.
- It'll be released in 2016 and that the month is easy to guess. (He said to think about japanese fiscal years).

Then he dropped some interesting clues. He usually nicknames his Pokemon with stupid joke names but not this time.

3 of his pokemons were nicknamed

- Rachid
- Zen
- Laura

We can assume these are the 3 new fighters he knows about. He also kept mentioning 3 places in the world and he said "there was a reason": Brasil, Africa and India. We can assume Rachid is from Africa and (more probably North Africa), Zen will be from India and Laura from Brasil.

He also named another Pokemon "V-Trigger" which is probably the name of the new SFV mechanic.

So, you know everything. I repeat, I think we can 100% trust Ken Bogard but don't forget either: we're still early in development, things can change.

tl;dr: RUMOR (which I believe is true) French VS fighting commentator seems to have info about SFV. Launch date 2016. No new versions, just updates. 4 new characters: Rachid (Africa), Zen (India), Laura (Brasil) and one more. New mechanic called V-trigger.

this is incredible

Shadoken

Hes low tier and his SF4 form isnt that hype. There was a ton of hype for him pre SSF4 way more than Cody and some 3S characters because of Alpha 3 Guy.

Edit : Just realized you were referring to Japanese poll , Juli and Juni are higher than Alex,Charlie and Urien. Yeah id not take those polls too seriously , most characters also drop a lot once they are actually in the game.

Nah, C.Viper is nowhere near Fuerte level of bullshit during neutral, and she can't pull her SFIV stuff with SFV's wake up game. I'd say her chance is much better than Fuerte, probably the highest of SFIV original characters after Juri.

I'd be cool with Viper , if she got redone like Charlie. Screw that SF4 BS.

Please come back:
1. Alex
2. Older Sakura
3. Older Sean
4. Poison
5. Juri

Characters from USF4 I dont wanna see:
1. T Hawk
2. Rufus
3. Seth
4. Gouken
5. Dee Jay

Shadoken

It's entirely possible all the leak lists could be complete fabrications and she's not in. That being said, I think her chances are rather good regardless.

I think we can expect announcements at every upcoming event Capcom will have a presence at. I think this is part of why they haven't revealed too many yet.

Sometimes being very popular can send her to DLC tier to milk out more money. After all more people would be willing to shell out for Juri than a more franchise staple like Honda or Dhalsim.

While as far as casuals are concerned who dont really invest too much time , Sim and Honda would be more recognizable. Hence they would need characters like that on the initial roster.

Doosi

Banned
alex would be a shoe in for this game's aesthetics. i think a lot of sf3 characters would be.

characters i hope make the cut:

-ken
-ibuki
-makoto
-alex
-yun
-yang
-dudley
-karen
-sakura

Hubb

Sometimes being very popular can send her to DLC tier to milk out more money. After all more people would be willing to shell out for Juri than a more franchise staple like Honda or Dhalsim.

While as far as casuals are concerned who dont really invest too much time , Sim and Honda would be more recognizable. Hence they would need characters like that on the initial roster.

And leaving too many popular characters off the initial roster for DLC can backfire in their face. Just look at the people talking about Ken. Everybody wants their favorite(+) to be in the game.

characters i hope make the cut:

If they are really sticking to a 16 person roster, you have too many listed.

Filth

All I want is Q. Because Q is awesome. If I recall story wise I remember reading an interview where someone asked who q was. And possibly Ono said q is someone from the street fighter cast but didn't want to reveal who it was yet. Is my memory serving me correctly? Maybe we won't get Q but someone's ending will show them becoming Q.

Westlo

Gotta be hype for those not so popular characters like Maki. Hell for some reason in that poll Juli and Juni are higher than characters like Guy... I don't know why..

You like answered your own question the sentence before.

If Q, Alex, Mika etc where already in SFIV they wouldn't be as high in those polls....

KTO

All I want is Q. Because Q is awesome. If I recall story wise I remember reading an interview where someone asked who q was. And possibly Ono said q is someone from the street fighter cast but didn't want to reveal who it was yet. Is my memory serving me correctly? Maybe we won't get Q but someone's ending will show them becoming Q.

I could actually see them having a new character with a similar moveset, whose ending shows them becoming Q. I think a lot of people would find it pretty cool and it would allow them to change his style up to make him more accessible.

Wynnebeck

Banned
Please come back:
1. Alex
2. Older Sakura
3. Older Sean
4. Poison
5. Juri

Characters from USF4 I dont wanna see:
1. T Hawk
2. Rufus
3. Seth
4. Gouken
5. Dee Jay

Nah fuck that. Dee Jay deserves his time in the sun. He hasn't been good since Remix and before that, Super Turbo.

Dremark

Banned
I could actually see them having a new character with a similar moveset, whose ending shows them becoming Q. I think a lot of people would find it pretty cool and it would allow them to change his style up to make him more accessible.

They could keep him as Q and still change him up a bit. One of the things about SF5 is how they've changed up some of the characters. Nash and Bison in particular.

We'll I'm not saying she'll definitely be a day 1 character, but I think she has a good chance. I'm sure they want to sell DLC, but they also need to sell people on the main game too so it's a balancing act on that end.

Has this been confirmed anywhere? Most of the stuff I read says it takes place around SF3.
I could have sworn that I read it takes place before 3rd Strike as well. Bison has no need to be there story wise after 3rd Strike, unless they pulled shenanigans with him.

Not that I give two shits about the story. It, and its story mode are going to be terrible. It's just going to end with you playing SF against the CPU either way. A fucking waste.

Kain

Regarding the rumors, I love how Africa is still a country. Please, just please, could we have a character from a country that is not called Africa? We are in 2015, for fucks sake.

But is he worse than Cammy clones (I guess they technically aren't cloned from her, but Bison dolls I guess)? Actually I'm surprised Decapre made it in USF4 instead of Juli or Juni.. Could just mod Cammy's face model if they wanted to go the cheap route and make Juli or Juni...
Masks are easier than face remodeling. ;) No facial expressions.

Not sure what would make a Cammy clone desirable in the least.

Both characters are about getting one hit into endless oki guesses. SFV is moving away from this, and to focusing on the neutral instead. Oki games are minimal. These characters don't even work outside of that meta. Imagine a C. Viper where Seismo and Burn Kick don't cause knockdown.

Regarding the rumors, I love how Africa is still a country. Please, just please, could we have a character from a country that is not called Africa? We are in 2015, for fucks sake.
I never understand why this upsets people. Just pretend it is South Africa.

Sesha

I dunno about the rest, but hazanshu is definitely still in, it's just not a special anymore, I think it's 3mk input now

Barf

She got 3S roundhouse back.

That's cool but it's not enough. She's been Gimp-Li since 3rd Strike. It's so sad that Alpha 3 chunners is her most complete incarnation. Funnily enough 4 got the closest but they managed to fuck up Tenshokyaku.
I agree with this. Why bring a lame character like Karin back when there are tons of great characters that haven't been in SF for a while like Alex, Q, Sodom and Maki. As for a rekka character I would like them to bring back Feilong with some new moves, perhaps give him the 1 inch punch. Make it his V Skill it could send enemies flying back.

I would like the following
Feilong - Rekka playstyle
Maki - Running dash mix up playstyle
Haggar - Pure Grappler
Alex - Semi Grappler
Dhalsim - Keep away playstyle
Q - Charge mixup playstyle
Urien - Aegis trap playstyle
Sagat - Zoner playstyle

Basically we need variety in this game not just people's favourites.

Funny how you say that yet fill your list with poll toppers. And Karin would be the Rekka-character. It's happening.

The rumors is they are targeting markets in South America, Africa and South Asia.

Dremark

Banned
Balrog gotta be in this game,right?!? He's Bison right-hand man.

He'll prolly make it eventually but it doesn't look like they're going to pander as heavy to SF2 players as they did with SF4. I'm not expecting him to be on the starting roster, especially with Birdie already there. I don't think he'll be an early addition either, but you never know.

alstein

I wouldn't be surprised if the new characters represent the less popular playstyles, as they stick to mostly fan favorites for returning characters.

As a street fighter noob that only played usf4:
My favourite character is makoto. Are there any old characters with a similar playstyle to her, so I can get hype when they are anounced?

Maligna

Banned
My favourite character is makoto. Are there any old characters with a similar playstyle to her, so I can get hype when they are anounced?

Hmmm... I don't think so. She's pretty unique. Maybe a close fit could be Karin or Fei Long since they are close up strikers with lunging punches.

Abel is the closest I can think of. Heavily mix-up reliant, with no especially good reversal.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Balrog gotta be in this game,right?!? He's Bison right-hand man.

According to leaker, they are pretty much done with Shadaloo characters for initial roster. He might have a chance to become playable character in the future throughout downloadable.

Here is summary of what Ken Bogard said.

No official word yet, but Ken Bogard (famous french commentator) keeps saying it's after 4 but before 3, and deals with Shadaloo fall. The guy clearly knows a lot of things about the game and has been a trusted source for months now. Just yesterday he hinted again some information.

Basically reiterated:
-after SF4, before SF3
-16 characters launch roster
-4 new characters
-efforts will be made to make a good and consistent story mode

He elaborated on the last point saying Birdie should be one of the last Shadaloo member present with Dictator, implying no Sagat, boxer or claw, and that the roster should be consistent with the story/timeline, so no SF4 situation where Gen, Sakura, Makoto, Ibuki etc made no sense.
Of course everything should be taken with a pinch of salt, he was not flat-out saying it and was somehat beating around the bush, but the guy clearly knows the roster or at least most of it.

I really think Bison taking Juri purple color scheme means she's not in :(.

I'm pretty positive that Juri would make in Street Fighter V.

Yeah, Sagat isn't with Shadaloo too. I think he meant anyone who used to be affiliated with Shadaloo, vera via.

He was indeed talking about former shadaloo members (sagat, boxer, claw, birdie).

I'm pretty positive that Juri would make in Street Fighter V.

I agree, Capcom needs some SF4 original characters in the roster, and they don't really have a choice here:
- Fuerte : wont happen, like ever. Unpopular and gameplay that doesnt belong in a SF game.
- Rufus: unpopular Yun ersatz.
- Seth : unoriginal mess of a boss. And supposedly dead?
- Decapre : even if she plays differently, she is above all a Cammy clone. And we already have Nash for teleport shenanigans.
- Abel : may be possible, but no very popular, and if they want the brawler/grappler archetype odds are they will go for Alex instead (popular and SF3 main protagonist).
- Viper: kinda popular, gameplay not really fitting in a SF, I think they would have a hard time adapting her to SF5. But could be possible.
- Juri : Very popular in West and East, one of the few successfull designs of SF4 (gameplay wise), naturally fits in SF5 with fengshui engine as her VTrigger.

I sincerely have a hard time imagining how she would not be in the game.

He was indeed talking about former shadaloo members (sagat, boxer, claw, birdie).

I agree, Capcom needs some SF4 original characters in the roster, and they don't really have a choice here:
- Fuerte : wont happen, like ever. Unpopular and gameplay that doesnt belong in a SF game.
- Rufus: unpopular Yun ersatz.
- Seth : unoriginal mess of a boss. And supposedly dead?
- Decapre : even if she plays differently, she is above all a Cammy clone. And we already have Nash for teleport shenanigans.
- Abel : may be possible, but no very popular, and if they want the brawler/grappler archetype odds are they will go for Alex instead (popular and SF3 main protagonist).
- Viper: kinda popular, gameplay not really fitting in a SF, I think they would have a hard time adapting her to SF5. But could be possible.
- Juri : Very popular in West and East, one of the few successfull designs of SF4 (gameplay wise), naturally fits in SF5 with fengshui engine as her VTrigger.

I sincerely have a hard time imagining how she would not be in the game.
At this point the less SF4 characters the better, we had to deal with them for 6 years and none of them were that interesting (you're missing Hakan from your list). Abel had an interesting play style but his character was boring. So Juri wins by default lol..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom