• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V Roster Discussion: P-P-P-P-PATTERN BREAKER

Status
Not open for further replies.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
He was indeed talking about former shadaloo members (sagat, boxer, claw, birdie).

I agree, Capcom needs some SF4 original characters in the roster, and they don't really have a choice here:
- Fuerte : wont happen, like ever. Unpopular and gameplay that doesnt belong in a SF game.
- Rufus: unpopular Yun ersatz.
- Seth : unoriginal mess of a boss. And supposedly dead?
- Decapre : even if she plays differently, she is above all a Cammy clone. And we already have Nash for teleport shenanigans.
- Abel : may be possible, but no very popular, and if they want the brawler/grappler archetype odds are they will go for Alex instead (popular and SF3 main protagonist).
- Viper: kinda popular, gameplay not really fitting in a SF, I think they would have a hard time adapting her to SF5. But could be possible.
- Juri : Very popular in West and East, one of the few successfull designs of SF4 (gameplay wise), naturally fits in SF5 with fengshui engine as her VTrigger.

I sincerely have a hard time imagining how she would not be in the game.

You forget Hakan! ;_;

At this point the less SF4 characters the better, we had to deal with them for 6 years and none of them were that interesting (you're missing Hakan from your list). Abel had an interesting play style but his character was boring. So Juri wins by default lol..

I always like Hakan, Juri and Abel so I don't really mind to see those 3 characters coming back for SF5 at any point.

If I have to pick only two characters from Street Fighter 4 series to be playable characters in Street Fighter V. I would pick Hakan and Juri in heartbeat.

Ah, got it. I would think with a Bison/Shadloo themed staged though there would at least be a doll or new character in.

I'm not sure about that. I have a feeling that storyline of Street Fighter V is more likely to focus on fall of Shadaloo and Rise of Illuminati.

delSai

The only SF4 character i want to return is C.Viper. Abel and Viper are the only characters that clicked with me. Didn't like the other newcomers from 4 and i would much rather have Alex than Abel so yea.

At this point the less SF4 characters the better, we had to deal with them for 6 years and none of them were that interesting (you're missing Hakan from your list). Abel had an interesting play style but his character was boring. So Juri wins by default lol..

You forget Hakan! ;_;

Lol sorry, I indeed completely forgot the poor Hakan.
But anyway I doubt he's got any chance to be in, unpopular and even if he has an original and interesting fighting style, Capcom never really managed to make it work. I doubt they will bother for SF5.

acxcrew

Neo Member
I liked how Abel played compared to rest of them. Juri was ok, but there was a lack of finesse that I was hoping with a character.

Sayad

Both characters are about getting one hit into endless oki guesses. SFV is moving away from this, and to focusing on the neutral instead. Oki games are minimal. These characters don't even work outside of that meta. Imagine a C. Viper where Seismo and Burn Kick don't cause knockdown.
Unlike Fuerte, Viper have a neutral game that isn't just a brainless guessing game. Her bullshit start after the first hard knockdown, but I did mention that it would not work now, so like everyone who made it into SFV, her gameplay can be changed to fit the game. Out of all SFIV original characters, she's the one who get pushed the most by Capcom, wouldn't be surprised if she made the cut early, though I doubt she'd be part of the initial roster.

ibrahima

Banned
You forget Hakan!

Hakan is my main, but seeing Birdie's tools makes me seriously doubt we'll see hakan in 2016, he'll maybe be a season 2 / 3 character, but that's a pretty timid maybe.

I absolutely love him, played him since Super and have stuck by him, but yeah I think we'll probably see Juri > Abel > Viper and even Rufus before him.

It's cool though, Birdie seems to borrow an awful lot from him, the oil lives on.

Shadoken

And leaving too many popular characters off the initial roster for DLC can backfire in their face. Just look at the people talking about Ken. Everybody wants their favorite(+) to be in the game.

What am trying to say is, most of these leaked lists I am seeing are like 90% fan favorites. We aren't going to get a roster filled with characters like Karin,Juri,Alex,Urien,Mika,Dudley..etc. We are going to get our fair share of mainstream like Gief,Sim,Sagat and developer choice characters too like Birdie.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Sakura isn't a clone? You could say her Tatsu works mostly the same beyond EX but everything else is very mechanically and visually different and all her normals are unique.

MTDIl7t.gif

He said Sakurai, the creator of Smash Bros. People always gave him hard time when he added clone characters to the roster.

The only character introduced during the SF4 era that I would consider as a great addition to the franchise overall would be Juri since she fills the position of the only female villain/anti hero.

C. Viper and Hakan are pretty good as well, looking back, but to a lesser extent.

MTDIl7t.gif

He said Sakurai, the creator of Smash Bros. People always gave him hard time when he added clone characters to the roster.
I imagined it could be the case but went in like a fool anyways lol
man, you seem to know a lot. do you work at capcom?
I'm not claiming anything, it's purely speculation, but with Nash being around plus having a brand new gameplay I'd imagine Guile being a lock for story reasons

Plus game needs some zoners right now

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Capcom never really managed to make it work. I doubt they will bother for SF5.

What do you meant by that?

Hakan is my main, but seeing Birdie's tools makes me seriously doubt we'll see hakan in 2016, he'll maybe be a season 2 / 3 character, but that's a pretty timid maybe.

I absolutely love him, played him since Super and have stuck by him, but yeah I think we'll probably see Juri > Abel > Viper and even Rufus before him.

It's cool though, Birdie seems to borrow an awful lot from him, the oil lives on.

Yeah, I don't really expect to see Hakan to be on initial roster. At least, there is a chance that he could make in in the future. If anything, I'm eyeing on Birdie since I like him in Alpha.

man, you seem to know a lot. do you work at capcom?

Well, it's no brainer that Guile is coming back in term of story plot since Guile was looking for Charlie Nash, and so Abel did. That's why I think both characters would have good chance to make in SFV, but not on initial roster tho.

KAL2006

Banned
why do people keep linking Abel to Charlie and Guile. Abel said he recognises the Sonic Boom move. well it's obvious he is talking about Seth's Sonic Boon, it doesn't take a genius to figure that out. Abel and Seth are related being weird clones. Guile and Charlie have nothing to do with them.

Fraeon

why do people keep linking Abel to Charlie and Guile. Abel said he recognises the Sonic Boom move. well it's obvious he is talking about Seth's Sonic Boon, it doesn't take a genius to figure that out. Abel and Seth are related being weird clones. Guile and Charlie have nothing to do with them.

sonicboon.juxpq.png

I'm so so sorry.

Rizsparky

Its actually heavily hinted that the person who saved Abel was in fact Charlie (why would Seth save Abel?)

Because the Sonic Boom Abel saw wasn't Seth's but from the soldier that nursed him back to health when he escaped Shadaloo
He didn't even know who Seth was until the end of his story

Honestly, what are the chances we see Abel again? Absolutely loved maining him IV and I think he would be awesome in SFV engine. But seeing that poll of character popularity definitely sunk my heart a bit. I'm betting on Nash's heavy involvement in the story of this game (since he was the basis of Abel and Guile's entire motivations in IV) would bolster Abel's chances a bit.

KTO

Honestly, what are the chances we see Abel again? Absolutely loved maining him IV and I think he would be awesome in SFV engine. But seeing that poll of character popularity definitely sunk my heart a bit. I'm betting on Nash's heavy involvement in the story of this game (since he was the basis of Abel and Guile's entire motivations in IV) would bolster Abel's chances a bit.

If Alex is in Abel is out. They are definitely different, but I think they play too similar for what Capcom seems to be going for.

Wynnebeck

Banned
Sakura isn't a clone? You could say her Tatsu works mostly the same beyond EX but everything else is very mechanically and visually different and all her normals are unique.

Nah. She's a clone variant along with:

- Ken
- Akuma
- Gouken
- Dan
- Sean

We don't need Sakura in V.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony

- Ken
- Akuma
- Gouken
- Dan
- Sean

We certainly do need Sakura in V, and anyone who says we don't is a bad person. She most certainly varied up and refined her moveset after years having gone by.

fallingdove

Sakura is as much a clone as any of the shotos. All of the Shotos are mechanically and visually different. and their normals are unique.

I am glad to hear Capcom is taking a different stance on the roster. As much as I love Ken and Ryu and Akuma, I enjoyed SF3 and SF4 the most when I was learning to play with other characters. I loved learning Ibuki, Oro, Necro and even Remy.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
If Alex is in Abel is out. They are definitely different, but I think they play too similar for what Capcom seems to be going for.

I think people are taking this quote way too hard to their hearts.

We're not revealing the total roster count just yet," said Dahlgren. "What we can say is that we're putting a strong focus on making sure that every character put into the game is very unique and has their own individuality.

Yes, I agreed with what they are doing but I think they were talking about their focus on initial roster. I'm pretty sure that they would pick some characters that would shares similarity with other characters for seasons/updates.

We certainly do need Sakura in V, and anyone who says we don't is a bad person. She most certainly varied up and refined her moveset after years having gone by.

Capcom should be little more creative with Sakura's costume since she should be out of school during Street Fighter 5 timeline. Again, Capcom probably would find something to make an excuse for it if Sakurai still wear her current costume.

- Ken
- Akuma
- Gouken
- Dan
- Sean

What kind of phrase is "clone variant"? All those characters mentioned in your list play completely different from one another so they aren't clones.

Also, Sakura (along with Sean) represents the next generation of fighters in the Street Fighter universe. How are we supposed to view Ryu's growth as a fighter if we don't have someone to compare him to? Sakura fits that role perfectly.

Either way, Sakura is super popular in both the east and west so her inclusion is a safe bet.
i hope

mollipen

We need Sakura in V so that she can not be wearing a school uniform, and actually go out with a little dignity.

Ryu and Sakura. Male and female. There are your shotos for the game, and they'd play different enough to make things interesting.

Robot Pants

We need Sakura in V so that she can not be wearing a school uniform, and actually go out with a little dignity.

Ryu and Sakura. Male and female. There are your shotos for the game, and they'd play different enough to make things interesting.
Nah keep her out. We already have cammy and she's gonna be annoying enough.

KAL2006

Banned
What kind of phrase is "clone variant"? All those characters mentioned in your list play completely different from one another so they aren't clones.

Also, Sakura (along with Sean) represents the next generation of fighters in the Street Fighter universe. How are we supposed to view Ryu's growth as a fighter if we don't have someone to compare him to? Sakura fits that role perfectly.

Either way, Sakura is super popular in both the east and west so her inclusion is a safe bet.
i hope

The SFV Roster should be

Ryu
Ken
Akuma
Gouken
Sakura
Sean
Oni
Violent Ken
Evil Ryu

None of these are clones as they all have different mechanics, properties to their specials as well as different normals.

Sakura is as much a clone as any of the shotos. All of the Shotos are mechanically and visually different. and their normals are unique.
Their normals aren't unique. Ryu and Ken share 90% of their normals, Akuma less so but still a lot of overlapping. Their fireballs and DPs have the same purposes with balance variance.

Sakura and Gouken are not shotos gameplay wise.

The SFV Roster should be

Ryu
Ken
Akuma
Gouken
Sakura
Sean
Oni
Violent Ken
Evil Ryu

None of these are clones as they all have different mechanics, properties to their specials as well as different normals.
No evil or "violent" alterations of the characters please, even if they play differently. That's lazy, and if Capcom does take that path they should replace the vanilla versions of characters with their darker self, not cheap out on us by "adding" another character. If they want to add evil versions of characters like 2 years from now then whatever, but not the initial roster or for the next year. New original models please.

Shadoken

Their normals aren't unique. Ryu and Ken share 90% of their normals, Akuma less so but still a lot of overlapping. Their fireballs and DPs have the same purposes with balance variance.

Sakura and Gouken are not shotos gameplay wise.

Sakura,Sagat,Oni arent really shotos. But they do have way more similarities to the standard Ryu type than say someone like Sim or Fuerte.
Actually Gouken is slightly more different , but hes still a shoto by story and hes not really all that popular. So I doubt hes in.

If you wanted a roster with the 16 most distinct gameplay types , those characters wouldn't be in them.

Tizoc

Every leak list had Juri, so I hope they announce her soon.

After SDDC, we can expect another announcement at EVO, right ?

Also, about the beta, can we play indefinetely or just a few hours determined by Capcom to test their servers ? I really want to make the pre-order to get the beta, but not to play only a couple of hours and the wait the release.

E-mailing or tweeting to Capcom could give us a better idea on the beta.
If anything long as it allows for offline play that's good enough for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom