• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter X Tekken announced for NGP, Features Cole From Infamous

It's not like there isn't a ton of deserving Street Fighter and Tekken characters that they could be giving the spot to. >_<

And Cole is hardly an "iconic" character. They were even going to completely overhaul his design a little while back.

I hope Tekken x Street Fighter is free of this junk.

Kusagari said:
Cole didn't take anyone's slot. They just gave Vita an extra character.

I just hate this cause these characters will be banned on consoles in competitive play. Assuming it makes it to the PS3 version. seems like a waste of character development that could go towards something everyone can use.

Platy

And i was guessing that revealing that ngp will really be called psvita was the worst part of the conference ....

Infamous dude ??? REALLY ????

You are talking about CAPCOM AND NAMCO entirely catalog for free and you choose some random dude that nobody will remember in the future ?

ARXIN said:
I just hate this cause these characters will be banned on consoles in competitive play. Assuming it makes it to the PS3 version. seems like a waste of character development that could go towards something everyone can use.

You realize what a small percentage of buyers of these games are competitive tourney players?

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
ARXIN said:

Even if this game only sells 100k, tournament players would still be a very small minority.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
ARXIN said:
Stop assuming perhaps?

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
I hope Capcom shows more SFxT characters tomorrow.

ARXIN said:
I'm assuming sony paid them so it balanced out nicely on their end in that regard. I get what you are saying though, because as a consumer, I get someone being upset if they own a 360. Maybe I shouldn't assume though.

I'm aware most people aren't competitive players that why i'm just giving my opinion of why I think it's unwanted. I didn't like it in Soul Calibur IV. Mortal Kombat and really don't like it in SFXT. I'll get over it just venting.
f_m.jpg

Songbird

Prodigal Son
Cole can tag team up with Blanka! I love this addition as a fan of all three franchises. Hype hype hype!

ARXIN said:
Except the Vita will never be used in tournament play. Let us casual scrubs enjoy a weird new character choice, okay?

ARXIN said:
I'm aware most people aren't competitive players that why i'm just giving my opinion of why I think it's unwanted. I didn't like it in Soul Calibur IV. Mortal Kombat and really don't like it in SFXT. I'll get over it just venting.
http://p.twipple.jp/data/h/6/r/a/f_m.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

that is going to be my new avatar

ARXIN said:
f_m.jpg

Well it's seemingly been popular in Soul Calibur and Mortal Kombat, so it appears you are in the minority. Personally I don't mind it, it's just a neat little throw in, and if you don't like the character it's fairly easy to avoid.

Also games like MvC and Smash Bros are popular as hell too and that's all about the novelty of seeing different characters paired up against each other. Don't see the big deal.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
I think he actually fits really well but hotdamn that is one random character for Sony to be dropping their money on.

Salsa

ARXIN said:
f_m.jpg

Ryu is certainly upset about it

Busaiku

ARXIN said:
No one's gonna play a handheld game in tournaments though.

web01

Why so cynical gaf?

Crowd fucking loved this annoucement. and I too will look forward to using this character.

Raging Spaniard said:
I think he actually fits really well but hotdamn that is one random character for Sony to be dropping their money on.
I'm just glad they didn't use Jak or something.

Given Cole's powers though, he'd honestly seem like a far more fitting pick for an MvC game.

Ninja Scooter said:
Well it's seemingly been popular in Soul Calibur and Mortal Kombat, so it appears you are in the minority. Personally I don't mind it, it's just a neat little throw in, and if you don't like the character it's fairly easy to avoid.

Also games like MvC and Smash Bros are popular as hell too and that's all about the novelty of seeing different characters paired up against each other. Don't see the big deal.
The Star Wars characters in Soul Calibur were very divisive. There wasn't a huge wave of support for them.

As for the concept of guest characters in fighting games, yes it brings attention to the game, but I think it does more harm than good. Guest characters are usually only around for one game, so competitive players have no incentive to use them, and all the development spent on making a move set for them is gone to waste once the next game comes.

Also, I personally think it effects the tone and the presentation of the games, and cheapens the product. But obviously it's just my opinion. Lots of people eat this stuff up and would be happy if every game had cross over characters in it.

Busaiku said:
If it's just for the vita then yeah I don't care. My anger was just a knee jerk reaction brought on by Soul Calibur IV Induced nightmares.

I don't mind guest stars at all I just like both consoles to be on equal footing.

Well said @Gunloc

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Wessiej said:
I don't understand it, that guy isn't from Street Fighter or Tekken, but hey. Game will come out in 2012.

Neither is Kratos in Mortal Kombat. But hey: Free character that can't be played at Tournaments so big whoop.

Busaiku said:

And? The fact you can play Street vs Tekken on the go casually is huge, if Capcom ported Marvel 3 and Street 4 the PSP2 would be killer out of the gate.

Zomba13

I don't get the hate. I mean I get not liking the character but with fighting games the more the merrier.

Varth

xbhaskarx said:
At least they added such an interesting character, both visually and personality-wise, in Cole!

Came to post that. 3 tries, and they ended up making the original design worse.

Then some designer who probably didn't even know who the hell Cole was a month ago comes along and gives him a look more interesting than his own creators. Makes you think :\

Gunloc said:
As for the concept of guest characters in fighting games, yes it brings attention to the game, but I think it does more harm than good. Guest characters are usually only around for one game, so competitive players have no incentive to use them, and all the development spent on making a move set for them is gone to waste once the next game comes.

Also, I personally think it effects the tone and the presentation of the games, and cheapens the product. But obviously it's just my opinion. Lots of people eat this stuff up and would be happy if every game had cross over characters in it.
It does more good than harm. There are plenty of people that will give the game a try and even buy it just because this dude is in the game.

Competitive players don't make up the majority of the sales of a fighting game, and they sure as hell aren't the reason a fighting game is ever a huge success. Seriously, anyone that plays fighters competitively has absolutely nothing to bitch about when it comes to guest characters. If they weren't making a shitty guess character, they could just as easily be making a shitty clone, or a shitty original character.

Cole does come off very odd in a game about Street Fighter vs Tekken as opposed to being a bonus char in a standard iteration of either of those games. Whatever though, he's a bonus, no big deal.

Top Bottom