• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Strong user feedback" results in Google removing Cupcake Calorie counter from Maps

The fatphobia in this thread (and GAF in general) bothers me.

As many people said, it should be massively overhauled to not be so patronizing/inaccurate and then be opt-in.

The reported "fataphobia", like in most threads, is greatly exaggerated. This is like people who claim anything remotely negative about Israel is being anti-Semitic.

The cupcake isn't meant to be patronizing, unless you're self conscious and perceive it that way (because most of Google's services have cute icons/names, like their OS versions which are literally named after FOOD) and the inaccuracy is because it's an estimate, like most other numbers reported in Google Maps, and it is presented as such. Of course they'll work on making it better. The section literally says BETA

cHaotix8

Really? Of all the things to be offended by...

Sounds like a good feature to me given proper tuning. I have a cupcake waiting for me at home today and it would be neat to see if my fitbit matched Google's calculations for calories burned.

As many people said, it should be massively overhauled to not be so patronizing/inaccurate and then be opt-in.
I wouldn't call it fatphobia. There is a worrying trend amongst certain circles to view anything that promotes being healthy as an attack on fat people.
Being overweight comes with a lot of health issues. This not only reduces quality of life for the individual, but it effects everyone through putting strain on health services for problems that shouldn't be as frequent as they are.
However, no one is saying that people aren't allowed to be fat. There is a difference between promoting a healthy life style and "fat shaming". A calorie counter on Google maps falls into the former.

Draper

"If you were to walk, this is how long it would take you and approximately how many calories you would burn!"

"How fucking dare you!"

Cagey

Banned

Using a term like "fatphobia" to conflate the windmill you tilt at with bigotry towards LGBT (homophobia) or Muslims (Islamophobia) is just so god damn awful.

Cagey

Banned
They do? I haven't seen that? I don't understand why anyone would find anyone trying to better themselves disgusting.

"Too big" "Gross" "You looked better before" "You look scary" "My ideal is (insert Brad Pitt from Fight Club)"

It's harmless and funny and stupid to me, but it gets posted.

Yukiari

just you do you, and that is all that really matters :)

I know, but at the same time it does seem bad when you read people in this thread going haha fatties just don't want to know they should be exercising. It just said that people get mocked for trying as well as not trying.

Nowise10

There is not a single thing on that list that is unreasonable. All she is asking for is empathy.

Which is something this forum usually has in spades, so it's incredibly disappointing to see such a lack of it here.

No, she isn't. She can go ahead and be fat all she wants, its her right and I can't stop her. Preaching to others that being fat isn't an issue and isn't dangerous and is something that should be accepted is straight garbage, and people have every right to call her on her bullshit.

I have empathy for the people who work a lot and don't have the best diets because of such. People understand the reasons, and that it can be pretty easy to gain weight. But it doesn't excuse pretending like it isn't an issue. I will never understand how we're getting to the point where some are normalizing being obese because we don't want someone to feel bad about themselves. What a world.

Zach

have you seen GAF when in shape people are posted? lots of people call them disgusting

it goes both ways

"Too big" "Gross" "You looked better before" "You look scary" "My ideal is (insert Brad Pitt from Fight Club)"

It's harmless and funny and stupid to me, but it gets posted.

Hello, wrassle friends. Show me the receipts.

(I'm not saying you're Lying Teds. I'm just curious.)

P.S. I like the sound of this Cup Cal if it's accurate.

Hello, wrassle friends. Show me the receipts.

(I'm not saying you're Lying Teds. I'm just curious.)

P.S. I like the sound of this Cup Cal if it's accurate.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=238360689&postcount=150

Yeah. Those are disgusting and not even attractive. :\

Yeah this is super fucked up. Even if they're paid millions, this is just gross.

Agreed! This is wayyyy sexier than all those roided up dudes.

Are you a woman? Who are you to tell me what I'm attracted to?

"Better off"? No. This dude looks better than almost any of the super-ripped action stars of today. For one thing, he looks human...

from this thread - http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1381662

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Oh nice, out of context cherry-picked quotes that are about steroid abuse. Cool. I mean, what I called "gross" and "fucked up" was how these stars are forced to go through dehydration, excessive workouts and steroid abuse just for shirtless scenes in movies. I've never shamed someone for being in shape, so kindly knock it off. You're derailing the thread enough as it is.

I found this Twitter thread which was re tweeted from original twitter user who complained about the calorie tracker

https://twitter.com/sarahhollowell/status/918631130944933890

SMH..."just pretend like fat and obesity doesn't exist and isn't a dilemma that has only occurred in the 21st century."
Some of these are a bit absurd
Very. A few more stupid ones:
"Stop making jokes about people dying because of the food they eat."
"Add fatness to your life. Follow us. Support us on Patreon. Why not start with @femmina, who started #FatQueerTakeover? Or @KivaBay, who regularly puts out amazing academic lessons in fatness?"

lol.... this lady is out of touch. There's a world of difference between not being an asshole to fat people, and being a fat activist, and she demands people become the latter otherwise you're "hurting fat people"? Absurd indeed.

The cupcake isn't meant to be patronizing, unless you're self conscious and perceive it that way (because most of Google's services have cute icons/names, like their OS versions which are literally named after FOOD)
All sugary desserts too.

Oh nice, out of context cherry-picked quotes that are about steroid abuse. Cool. I mean, what I called "gross" and "fucked up" was how these stars are forced to go through dehydration, excessive workouts and steroid abuse just for shirtless scenes in movies. I've never shamed someone for being in shape, so kindly knock it off.

Very. A few more stupid ones:
"Stop making jokes about people dying because of the food they eat."
"Add fatness to your life. Follow us. Support us on Patreon. Why not start with @femmina, who started #FatQueerTakeover? Or @KivaBay, who regularly puts out amazing academic lessons in fatness?"

lol.... this lady is out of touch. There's a world of difference between not being an asshole to fat people, and being a fat activist, and she demands people become the latter otherwise you're "hurting fat people"? Absurd indeed.

All sugary desserts too.

jwMYPMk.jpg

how is this steroid abuse? or not looking human?

ironmang

Seems like a totally reasonable feature that just might get people to walk a little more. Opt-out would probably be ideal though.

Apt101

I thought it was a cool little feature. I noticed it when I was looking up sushi places and noticed a new one had opened across the street from me. It didn't seem to be consistent - it said I would burn X amount of calories walking to the sushi place, but gave a different figure for the chinese place right next to it.

devilhawk

Try again:
I found this in like 30 seconds, so you obviously didn't look
Diet and eating disordered culture is definitely a thing, even if you don't want to believe it
I never said that the field didn't exist, just that the term was garbage. Toxic isn't even in the article at all.

Interestingly, the article delves into a lot about cosmetic surgery and marketing of food as well - things like how food is labeled healthy or good. A topic which has been dismissed at several points as unrelated or a poor comparisons brought up in this thread. Just an interesting note I picked up from reading the article.

Top Bottom