• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stuck in the Past - a 33 RPM thread for vinyl listeners and collectors

YaBish

Here's my most recent pickup.
M9sqdo1.jpg

Sure it's a repress, but it plays at 45 rpm and is numbered!
To six decimal places :/

nse2OUc.jpg

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
That's a great reissue. I came into Peter Gabriel cold on that record, but have subsequently picked up some of his back catalog because of that album.

Spwn

Sure it's a repress, but it plays at 45 rpm and is numbered!
To six decimal places :/

All the Peter Gabriel rereleases are limited to 10 000. Sure, it sounds like a lot, but lots of places have already ran out of Us and Up. So glad I managed to pick them (and the 4th solo). These releases sound amazing and are really worth checking out.

I'm in Somerset, so when I get the chance to go to Camden and visit friends etc, I grab it with both hands. The bank account didn't like it so much though!

Can I suggest a trip to Soho, It would be miles better and its about 30mins away by bus.
Also look up music and video exchange for great second hand stuff, the best is down in Greenwich (imo) but theres a fair few dotted about.

Also Rye Wax down in Peckham is arguably the best one in London.

amnesiac

The Peter Gabriel reissues are great but I really wish they would have taken this opportunity to release Secret World Live and Ovo on vinyl. And reissue Passion, which might be his best work.

Finally invested in a proper record cleaning brush (was using a presoaked microfiber cloth + spray earlier) and my god it's a difference. Only problem is: brushing a record to remove dust before playing statically charges the other side, making it stick to my foam slipmat. So whenever I flip sides, I end up taking the slip mat with me, peeling it off, and then putting it back on.

wenis

Finally invested in a proper record cleaning brush (was using a presoaked microfiber cloth + spray earlier) and my god it's a difference. Only problem is: brushing a record to remove dust before playing statically charges the other side, making it stick to my foam slipmat. So whenever I flip sides, I end up taking the slip mat with me, peeling it off, and then putting it back on.
What kind of brush are you using?

Fritz

Bateman, there is a Japan special issue of the German edition of the vinyl mag Mint out there atm.

img_3029k5rgl.jpg

Thought might be of interest for you too

Fritz

Is it safe to assume their (far) earlier blues releases don't have the production finesse of when they hit their stride and changed their style?

I'd guess so. Although I understand that Fleetwood Mac had been on the top of their game way before their 80s output.

123rl

Two purchases for me this week:

Thrice - The Artist And The Ambulance

It's the reissued version with the alternate artwork, but it's on a clear vinyl. The clear vinyl version seems quite a bit rarer than the standard black one. It's just a superb album overall though, and I love how it sounds on vinyl

Fall Out Boy - From Under The Cork Tree

Definitely a guilty pleasure album but it's impossible to not love this album. It's the 2016 reissue and I was shocked to see the consensus is that this is a crap pressing. Admittedly, all those comments were about the US version, but I'd expect the EU version to be identical. I thought it sounded really good :|

Fall Out Boy - From Under The Cork Tree

Definitely a guilty pleasure album but it's impossible to not love this album. It's the 2016 reissue and I was shocked to see the consensus is that this is a crap pressing. Admittedly, all those comments were about the US version, but I'd expect the EU version to be identical. I thought it sounded really good :|

I bought some limited edition of this when I went to Vegas back in 2005 or so. Never cared for them, but my sister did, and back then it was hard to find places that sold vinyl. I grabbed it for like $15. It came in a really weird sleeve, and didn't say the album title anywhere on it, from what I remember. A couple of years ago I discovered it was pretty rare, with only 1,000 copies made. I sold it on eBay for like $200. Funding my vinyl collection was the best thing FOB ever did.

Some pics I found on discogs of the release:

Any vinyl lovers here from Chicago? I'll be visiting in April and I'm looking to explore some record stores. I'm leaning towards Laurie's Planet of Sound, Dave's Records, Permanent Records, and Reckless Records, but I'll take any suggestions!

Greyvvolf

So I finally got everything to complete my record cleaner. I bought it from a guy in Ontario, Canada. Some of the parts are 3D printed and it attaches to a Shop-Vac (I used a Micro Shop-Vac). A hockey puck was modified to fit into this 3D printed part that spins the record. You can see it in the middle. He suggested a solution to clean the records but I just used the solution I had with my Spin-Clean and distilled water.

Basically, you put the record on the plater, add solution to the record, and the hockey puck goes on top in the middle. Put on the 3D printed vacuum attachment over the record then switch on the Shop-Vac. Rotate it around 2-3 times and then put the distilled water on after and rotate 2-3 times again. The record is shiny, clean, and spotless after.

I am extremely satisfied with it! It is also cheap compared to other vacuum type record cleaners. Oh, and it's really quick to dry. I can almost immediately put the cleaned record on my turntable. I would recommend this to anyone.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
At this rate, the world is pretty much gonna blow up by summer, so I figured I'd treat myself to some long-time wish list shit. Takahashi, Sakamoto, Hosono, and Sato all day, err day.

IVGoK9C.jpg

Spwn

It's finally happening! The Finnforest complete discography boxset is coming alongside the reissues of all their studio albums that have, to my knowledge, never before been reissued! I've been waiting for this for ages and immediately pre-ordered. Only seen some copies of their albums at record fairs for 70-150€ a piece and really happy I can finally have a chance to listen to their stuff through legal channels.

Fantastic fusion jazz / progressive rock.

http://svartrecords.com/shoppe/home...omplete-studio-recordings-1973-1980-5lp.html?

123rl

I bought Heathen Chemistry and completed my Oasis collection. It's fitting that the first band I complete my vinyl discography with is Oasis. They're probably the most influential band of my generation

123rl

This week's new additions:

Muse - Absolution and Origin Of Symmetry

They're probably tied as my joint-favourite Muse albums. Both sound lovely and presented in nice digipack sleeves

Pearl Jam - Vitalogy

I've wanted this for a while but it was expensive (£30+ for the reissue). I found a copy in Vinyl Exchange in Manchester for £20 so I picked it up. It was opened but other in perfect condition.

I'm looking to get a record player setup going and I was hoping people in this thread could give me some advice/recommendations. I'm not looking to spend too much money. I'd say my budget is around $250. I already have a pair of speakers so really all I need is the record player itself and a receiver of some sort.

Here's the record player I had in mind (Audio Technica AT-LP60BK): https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008872SIO/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Here's the receiver (Onkyo TX-8020 Stereo Receiver): https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00EE18O7W/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I was talking to a friend of mine and he suggested getting a receiver with Bluetooth or a Chromecast Audio, so I'm open to something of that nature as well.

My goal is to get a decent quality record player setup without spending a ton of money. I'd like a record player that sounds good and isn't going to damage my records over time. The player and receiver I posted above are just what I had my eye on, but I'm open to other options.

Any recommendations or advice would be greatly appreciated!

I'm looking to get a record player setup going and I was hoping people in this thread could give me some advice/recommendations. I'm not looking to spend too much money. I'd say my budget is around $250. I already have a pair of speakers so really all I need is the record player itself and a receiver of some sort.

Here's the record player I had in mind (Audio Technica AT-LP60BK): https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008872SIO/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Here's the receiver (Onkyo TX-8020 Stereo Receiver): https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00EE18O7W/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I was talking to a friend of mine and he suggested getting a receiver with Bluetooth or a Chromecast Audio, so I'm open to something of that nature as well.

My goal is to get a decent quality record player setup without spending a ton of money. I'd like a record player that sounds good and isn't going to damage my records over time. The player and receiver I posted above are just what I had my eye on, but I'm open to other options.

Any recommendations or advice would be greatly appreciated!

I have a really simple setup for mine. My TT is a Pro-Ject Debut II, that I picked up on Ebay for around £160 a few years ago. I also purchased the standard Pro-Ject pre-amp for around £60. I run this through one of these:

http://petertyson.co.uk/index.php/d...-WUCrX5Jiti2vXpLdoZZV0Mxzz-XXyM2zuBoCL7rw_wcB

It's internet connected, so you can add online radio and use airplay from your phone, great for streaming your media (or streaming service of choice). It's not surround though (although a sub can be connected I believe) so you may want something different.

Connected to a pair of Dali Zensor One speakers. Sounds great. I also upgraded my stylus to an Ortofon (approx £70) but it still sounded great beforehand. In fact, i'm bopping my head to my Discover Weekly Spotify playlist to it as I type!

Linius

The CEOL N4/N9 with Dali Zensor 1/3 must be the configuration I've sold the most at the shop I work at. Great value for money stereo set-up if you don't want to spend a lot of money.

The CEOL N4/N9 with Dali Zensor 1/3 must be the configuration I've sold the most at the shop I work at. Great value for money stereo set-up if you don't want to spend a lot of money.

The Zensors are fantastic. I auditioned them in RIcher Sounds (I also tried Wharfedales and something else) and they were easily the best sounding for the cash.

Jarrod38

For some strange reason I've been looking at getting into buying records and a record player for the past few days. Anyways what is a good entry level that cost under $100?

Spwn

For some strange reason I've been looking at getting into buying records and a record player for the past few days. Anyways what is a good entry level that cost under $100?

If you're buying new, I think Audio Technica's AT-LP60 is all you can get with that budget. Otherwise try to get lucky with vintage equipment.

Yeah, I think ebay or other ways of finding a used table. Or save up for a bit longer if possible.

Also, nothing strange about it! Vinyl collecting is good fun.

overcast

Since I Left You came in. Finally have my hands on a physical copy of it :]

Might try to order the twin peaks vinyl before it sells out everywhere. Probably won't want the cherry red Fire Walks vinyl though.

wenis

I recently did a recount of my collection against my existing Discogs list. I'm much closer to 1,000 records than I initially thought. Scary closer.

Xun

I bought Sea Change the other day and whilst it generally sounds fine, there's marks like the below on each side...

They're somewhat audible, but not as bad as they appear. Otherwise it's a brilliant pressing.

Since I Left You came in. Finally have my hands on a physical copy of it :]

Might try to order the twin peaks vinyl before it sells out everywhere. Probably won't want the cherry red Fire Walks vinyl though.

I picked the FWWM vinyl up yesterday - almost twice the price of the series vinyl (I don't know if it's a UK/Brexit thing, but the price of vinyl is increasing at a noticeable rate here).

Haven't had the chance to crack it open yet, but will report back when I do. I hope it's a better pressing than the series album.

I picked the FWWM vinyl up yesterday - almost twice the price of the series vinyl (I don't know if it's a UK/Brexit thing, but the price of vinyl is increasing at a noticeable rate here).

Haven't had the chance to crack it open yet, but will report back when I do. I hope it's a better pressing than the series album.

I went down to my local store to pick that up, and was told that it was delayed a week. Though February 24th is the best day for that thing to come out if it did. Really hoping it doesn't shit the bed like the series one (though mine is not as bad as others, only like... 10 pops rather than the hundreds people report), and I'm not looking forward to that Mondo mark up, even in USD

Just saw this. Been a while since I visited this thread. Craigslist is your friend use it or save money.

Either way welcome to an amazing hobby.

wenis

I bought Sea Change the other day and whilst it generally sounds fine, there's marks like the below on each side...

They're somewhat audible, but not as bad as they appear. Otherwise it's a brilliant pressing.
Do you have anything to clean it with?

a lot of people swear by this homebrew method
and there is also stuff like the Spin Clean or a simple micro-fiber cloth could get the job done as well.

Nothing beats professional equipment or high end vacuuming, but you invest what you can for what you have.

Xun

Do you have anything to clean it with?

a lot of people swear by this homebrew method
and there is also stuff like the Spin Clean or a simple micro-fiber cloth could get the job done as well.

Nothing beats professional equipment or high end vacuuming, but you invest what you can for what you have.
I have some basic cleaning equipment, yeah.

That said I'm pretty sure it's actually the press itself, unfortunately.

Each side of both record have similar marks and it's almost as if the groves are shinier. It's bizarre.

wenis

shinier... hmmm, I'd want to say that could be a flat spot. It may be imperceptible to touch or looking at it from an angle because it's so slight that it only affects playback.

If it's really bothersome, depending on where you purchased it it most likely wouldn't be a hassle to exchange it. Independent record shops are always happy to help, they definitely want to keep business good with their base and if it's amazon they'll definitely replace.

Dan-o

Picked up a few things today...
Le Matos - Join Us
Dustin Kensrue - More Thoughts That Float On A Different Blood 7"
Dillinger Escape Plan - Ire Works
Dillinger Escape Plan - Irony is a Dead

Didn't see the DK 7" on RSD so it was nice to come across it in my travels.

Spwn

So despite people saying you shouldn't mod your Rega RP1 and instead should just get the RP3, I've decided to jump into the rabbit hole of modding my record player. I figured that it would make a cool learning experience and I find the process of selling the RP1 a hassle I don't want to deal with. The aftermarket value in Finland is close to 0 - people don't want to pay anything for used goods.

What pushed me to do this is that I took the easy road and bought the Performance Pack, which contains a better belt, a wool slipmat and Rega Bias 2 cartridge to replace the stock Rega Carbon. First time changing a cartridge and I was super stressed during the process with my hands shaking and constantly unsure whether it was aligned correctly. Phew! But now I know how to do it!

I had noticed a slight wobble on my RP1 plate, but it didn't affect playback, so I didn't do anything about it. After replacing the cartridge the needle wouldn't track the records correctly - instead it jumps off the records due to the wobble of the platter, making most of my records unplayable. I messaged the store I bought the player from and was sent a new platter. I thought it was fine at first, but it's still wobbly! I first thought it was due to the records being slightly warped, but concluded after testing several other albums that almost every single one had the same problem, and it was definitely due to the platter.

Soooo, this led me to order some more mods so I can actually listen to my records. Ordered an aluminium subplatter to replace the plastic stock one. This is for some the best improvement one could make to RP1. In addition I ordered an acrylic platter in case the stock phenolin resin platter is the problem. Also bought a Michell Engineering clamp since my girlfriend has some warped records that we want to listen from time to time.

vonStirlitz

Unconfirmed Member
[Redacted as the member no longer wishes to be associated with this website, and the reputational damage and distress caused by association with this website. In addition, the user considers that the action of the management, and the nature of the site and members of its community, renders the original terms and conditions of this site void, and it unconscionable for either side to be bound to them. The user reasserts their IP rights in all content and does not give any authority for its continued usage on this website. Despite requesting that the user's account be deleted, in accordance with data protection rules which apply to this website over multiple jurisdictions, the admin team have failed to delete this account, requiring the user to take its own steps to ensure the valid deletion of data.]

I went down to my local store to pick that up, and was told that it was delayed a week. Though February 24th is the best day for that thing to come out if it did. Really hoping it doesn't shit the bed like the series one (though mine is not as bad as others, only like... 10 pops rather than the hundreds people report), and I'm not looking forward to that Mondo mark up, even in USD

I'm happy to report the FWWM vinyl is a huge improvement over the series soundtrack. There's the odd pop/crackle (noticeable at the start of each side) but nothing out of the ordinary and nothing that made me want to snap the record in half like the first series copy I had.

But yeah, the price is nasty. £30 would have been high-yet-acceptable, £40 is taking the piss. I don't think I've spent that much on any other record I own.

Spwn

So angry right now! The subplatter and platter arrived, but they sent me the wrong sub-platter that has too wide base on the spindle so the platter doesn't fit. Sent the company mail and I hope getting the correct part won't be too much of a hassle.

Xun

shinier... hmmm, I'd want to say that could be a flat spot. It may be imperceptible to touch or looking at it from an angle because it's so slight that it only affects playback.

If it's really bothersome, depending on where you purchased it it most likely wouldn't be a hassle to exchange it. Independent record shops are always happy to help, they definitely want to keep business good with their base and if it's amazon they'll definitely replace.
It's honestly not that bad, it's just a bit bizarre it's on both sides of each record.

I can hear the slightest bit of difference, but not enough for me to take it back (especially since I bought it online).

In general it's actually a good press.

Top Bottom