• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stuck in the Past - a 33 RPM thread for vinyl listeners and collectors

Alucrid

Banned
Cambridge Audio is good for entry level pre-amps - 540 or the 640 if you're willing to spend for it. I have a Pro-Ject pre-amp that I got with my Debut III and it does its job just fine, too. Of course you could also look at tube amps, but that's getting you up there in price. Something like a Little Dot MkII or III would work as both a pre-amp and headphone amp, though.
Some of those aren't phono Preamps.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
anyone have used/owned a TC-750LC Phono Pre-Amp?

i9OZWNK920rdN.jpg

http://www.phonopreamps.com/tc750lcpp.html
Thoughts, impressions?

Echoes

Yeeeeesh, $50? I'd hate to imagine just how horrific that would sound. The phono preamp is the bottleneck in the vinyl replay set-up and thus it is extremely important to get right.

Any recommendation? My amp limit is 300$. I was looking for a cheap way to enter vinyl but that's just wrong. I'm getting the Pro-ject Debut III and looking for a competent amp for it.

Keep in mind that I don't have a speaker system, but a Denon 2000 (w/ NuForce Icon HDP).

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
Cambridge Audio 640p. I sold one along with a Clearaudio Concept turntable and the combo sounded fantastic despite the massive imbalance in price between the two.

btf1980

Haven't posted in months. I've picked up a lot. I'll start with various Mosaic boxsets. I got lucky, all these LP boxsets are out of print.

6565686915_273cfe2c86_b.jpg

6008401380_79ebd1cdb8_b.jpg

6299486613_8063fcabc6_b.jpg

6407410625_84bd20a6da_b.jpg

6344647328_2b4e6bbdd2_b.jpg

6147595382_be2af8af1d_b.jpg

6220550585_07c903b552_b.jpg

6221074374_d9fe4a0852_b.jpg

6494952103_99293b53a0_b.jpg

6494949365_ed83ca7af7_b.jpg

6220551769_ece9df2d80_b.jpg

Prez

I'm gonna check out a collection with 500 LPs and 100 singles tomorrow. Don't know much about it other than there's jazz, funk, soul, disco, crooners... There's a couple of Beatles albums but other than that I don't know any specific artists yet. But just the fact that the owner uses the term funk tells me there's gotta be some worthwhile stuff, though for $300 I'm hoping that most of it is good.

Echoes

One thing is worrying me. I wanna buy a turntable from InSound, but I saw this:

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the fact that turntables often do not work properly when used with converters, we do not ship turntables outside of North America.

I live in Kuwait. Would that be a problem? Edit: the converter thing I mean; I have a US address.

wenis

over like the past 3 days I kinda went nuts on Discogs and picked up a couple things. I'll post as they come in. Still waiting on my Purp Life of Leisure vinyl, some stuff I ordered from Italians Do It Better and Amazon.

Gunna be a good couple weeks, feels like christmas.

andylsun

One thing is worrying me. I wanna buy a turntable from InSound, but I saw this:

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the fact that turntables often do not work properly when used with converters, we do not ship turntables outside of North America.

I live in Kuwait. Would that be a problem? Edit: the converter thing I mean; I have a US address.

Depends on the turntable. If they use motors that are dependent on the mains frequency - AC Synchronous motor (50hz vs 60hz) then you are out of luck even with a voltage step down/step up converter. Quite a few belt drive TT's will use this, but it does depend on the exact model.

Most Direct Drive TT's should be OK.

Echoes

Depends on the turntable. If they use motors that are dependent on the mains frequency - AC Synchronous motor (50hz vs 60hz) then you are out of luck even with a voltage step down/step up converter. Quite a few belt drive TT's will use this, but it does depend on the exact model.

Most Direct Drive TT's should be OK.

Thanks for the answer. I plan to buy the Pro-ject Debut III; money is ready and just waiting for someone to tell me this isn't an issue.

wenis

All my new records came at once today! :D Really did feel like Christmas

ibvZlahlsrkqHz.JPG

iqIJ7NIzbre54.JPG

ibojAklhVayCxi.JPG

ibvmRBIscdob9K.JPG

That's a...

Glass Candy "Warm in the Winter" single
St. Vincent "Strange Mercy" limited edition white vinyl
Washed Out "Life of Leisure" limited to 200 pressing purple vinyl

So excited to give these a spin soon.

andylsun

Thanks for the answer. I plan to buy the Pro-ject Debut III; money is ready and just waiting for someone to tell me this isn't an issue.

The Pro-ject Debut III has an AC motor, so you need to purchase it from a country that uses the same AC frequency even if you use a step-down converter for the voltage. Looks like Kuwait is 240V 50Hz, so you'll need to buy it from the UK.

A direct-drive TT may be a better option - you could get one from the USA and not have to worry about the AC frequency. They're not DJ only, and can have fantastic sound, but I totally understand wanting a Pro-ject.

I disagree with the comments on DD TT's at Turntable Kitchen. Looks like they've never really looked closely at how good DD TT's work.

Echoes

The Pro-ject Debut III has an AC motor, so you need to purchase it from a country that uses the same AC frequency even if you use a step-down converter for the voltage. Looks like Kuwait is 240V 50Hz, so you'll need to buy it from the UK.

A direct-drive TT may be a better option - you could get one from the USA and not have to worry about the AC frequency. They're not DJ only, and can have fantastic sound, but I totally understand wanting a Pro-ject.

I disagree with the comments on DD TT's at Turntable Kitchen. Looks like they've never really looked closely at how good DD TT's work.

You're a saver, thank you! :D I just ordered it from Amazon.co.uk (I have a UK address). Can't wait for it to come here.

Danielsan

Well my orders from Urban Outfitters came in. Sadly one of the four album frames was cracked during shipping and the sleeve of my M83 copy has quite a few marks from shitty handling during transit. Even more annoying, I got charged an additional €30 by customs for one of the three giant fucking boxes they sent me (the size of these boxes was some serious overkill).

Last time I'm ordering my shit from outside the EU I guess. That said, I'm still happy to have these gorgeous records in my collection.

yJuJk.jpg

M83 - Hurry Up We're Dreaming
Comes on two 180gram coloured transparent records and includes some additional record sleeves with artwork.

uZ3D3.jpg

Bon Iver - Bon Iver
Red standard weight vinyl. Also comes with a nice handwritten lyrics booklet, a download code and a bit of additional artwork

Bon Iver - For Emma, Forever Ago
Black standard weighted vinyl. Has a page with lyrics and also included a download code.

szJJe.jpg

Well my orders from Urban Outfitters came in. Sadly one of the four album frames was cracked during shipping and the sleeve of my M83 copy has quite a few marks from shitty handling during transit. Even more annoying, I got charged an additional €30 by customs for one of the three giant fucking boxes they sent me (the size of these boxes was some serious overkill).

Last time I'm ordering my shit from outside the EU I guess. That said, I'm still happy to have these gorgeous records in my collection.

yJuJk.jpg

M83 - Hurry Up We're Dreaming
Comes on two 180gram coloured transparent records and includes some additional record sleeves with artwork.

uZ3D3.jpg

Bon Iver - Bon Iver
Red standard weight vinyl. Also comes with a nice handwritten lyrics booklet, a download code and a bit of additional artwork
Wow. Didn't think the M83 vinyl would look so good. That sucks about the album frames and the sleeves. That whole thing must have been really expensive!

The Bon Iver in red vinyl looks way better in person than the pic, right? Mine is like a really bright red, and I love it. I just don't like the paper inner sleeve covering the record. Seems too cheap and I'd rather have something more durable.

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management

Amagon

Those are powered monitors right? Then you don't need anything. Your turntable has a line output so you can just hook it up to the monitors.
Though, I would like to have something to control the treble/bass/volume. I haven't check out the turntable yet but I doubt it has any of these options.

nitewulf

first try it out just directly and hear it.

anyone know of any good deep house compilations? i am not into singles, but all electronic/dance i can find are singles...are there any good compilation lps? i like Ben Watt, Booka Shade, Kompact artists, Lindstrom

Alucrid

Banned
first try it out just directly and hear it.

anyone know of any good deep house compilations? i am not into singles, but all electronic/dance i can find are singles...are there any good compilation lps? i like Ben Watt, Booka Shade, Kompact artists, Lindstrom

Maybe on CDs, but rarely on vinyl. That's the sole problem with a lot of electronic music, it's mostly singles. You could try the electronic music thread as I'm sure, if they exist, they'll be able to point you in the right direction.

EricM85

I'm looking to upgrade the next piece of my setup. I'm currently running:

Denon 1911 Receiver
Cambridge 640p Preamp
2 Sony SSU 500 Speakers
Technics SL-Q200 Turntable

I'm thinking about getting new speakers, but as I watch movies through this, I'd rather just add a sub, a center speaker, and new mains all at the same time. As such, I'm thinking about just upgrading my turntable to a Pro-Ject first, then going for the speakers. Any speaker suggestions? Seems the Pro-Ject is fairly regularly recommended, but I'm willing to take suggestions on that (or any other piece), too.

Any speaker suggestions? Seems the Pro-Ject is fairly regularly recommended, but I'm willing to take suggestions on that (or any other piece), too.

http://www.salksound.com/songtower home.htm

2 of the song towers, and 2 song birds for surround, with a matching sub and center would be incredible.

Unless you spend most of your time watching movies not listening to music and vinyl, don't compromise on really nice stereo speakers for surround. A pair of song birds are great in an apartment, or song towers if you have the space. Or go for the veracity lineup if you have the money. The $5000 HT2-TL will destroy the price equivalent B&W Nautilus Diamond. They compare favorably to some very expensive and well known speakers. Salk speakers are impressive. They do not compromise anywhere.

They always use the top of the line drivers, without regard to cost, and sell with much less margin than any other company. The Raven ribbon tweeters are over $500 on parts express. They all use Dennis Murphy designed crossovers. And the cabinets are furniture grade made by a master woodworker. Salk has the most custom options available anywhere. The basic veneers are better than 90% of other audiophile speaker companies, but the upgraded ones are works of art. Bang for the buck with this brand is off the chart. Only downside is there is typically a couple month long waiting list for new orders. They build your speakers when you order it, there is no warehouse. But once in a while they'll have a pair ready to ship as long as you like the optioned wood.

I think all of the tables around that Pro-Ject, i.e. MH and Rega, are equivalent. Any table around that price will sound similar. The one bad thing about analog is that good sources are expensive. The VPI Classic looks like a good middle ground between entry level and madness.

nitewulf

the best entry level "audiophile" grade turntable is the Clearaudio Concept IMO.

full-tabel1.jpg

But I agree, upgrade your speakers first...that will give you significantly better quality sound than upgrading your turntable source. The Salks are a great recommendation, however if those are over your budget, look into PSB speakers that are within your reach, or any of thse that fits your budget:

http://www.musicdirect.com/s-17-outlet.aspx?CategoryFilterID=608&

spend the most amount you can to buy two front speakers. upgrade the other components as you go.

Edit: The Wharfdale 2-way mini towers under $500...will literally DESTROY the Sony's you have now. You can't go wrong.

Danielsan

Wow. Didn't think the M83 vinyl would look so good. That sucks about the album frames and the sleeves. That whole thing must have been really expensive!

The Bon Iver in red vinyl looks way better in person than the pic, right? Mine is like a really bright red, and I love it. I just don't like the paper inner sleeve covering the record. Seems too cheap and I'd rather have something more durable.
Yeah the M83 vinyl definitely looks and sounds great. I do wish they made it a gatefold though. The Whole thing was more expensive than I wished, especially after that shitty move by customs but ooh well. I do have to give kudos to Urban Outfitters. I contacted them about the broken album frame and they just sent me a new one free of charge. Hopefully this one will arrive in one piece.

I definitely did not expect the Bon Iver vinyl to be a bright red as it is. It looks exactly like the pictures I posted though.

Echoes

I received my Pro-ject Debut III with Cambridge Audio 640P today. 3 hours later and I'm still puzzled.

I connected everything. I followed 2 YouTube videos on how to install the parts, plus a separate video for the tonearm. Even then, I still get "old-records-noise" (definition is stupid, mind you) whenever I play anything. It's not clear; I can hear the music fine but whenever there are quite parts the defects jump up on me. I'm pretty sure it's a fault from my part, probably the tonearm, but I'm not sure how to do it. I don't live in an area where a person/shop can check this thing for me.

There's also static sound. The "mat" that's between the vinyl and the plate gets attached to the record (when I remove it) and that's annoying as well.

Excuse my noobism, but it's my birthday and I feel like smashing all the vinyl I bought. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I received my Pro-ject Debut III with Cambridge Audio 640P today. 3 hours later and I'm still puzzled.

I connected everything. I followed 2 YouTube videos on how to install the parts, plus a separate video for the tonearm. Even then, I still get "old-records-noise" (definition is stupid, mind you) whenever I play anything. It's not clear; I can hear the music fine but whenever there are quite parts the defects jump up on me. I'm pretty sure it's a fault from my part, probably the tonearm, but I'm not sure how to do it. I don't live in an area where a person/shop can check this thing for me.

There's also static sound. The "mat" that's between the vinyl and the plate gets attached to the record (when I remove it) and that's annoying as well.

Excuse my noobism, but it's my birthday and I feel like smashing all the vinyl I bought. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Have you connected your turntable to the ground?

Echoes

Have you connected your turntable to the ground?

Yes, I did. If you need a picture of my setup I'll gladly provide. My main problem is that I'm not sure how to float the needle -- I get it, but is there a fixed position that it has to be at? Because "floating" is a grey area if you know what I mean.

Echoes

do you have a tracking force scale?

is the noise static or hum?

Yeah I installed the scale. The noise is static.

EDIT: It might be that I'm not earthing properly... sadly I can't find any tutorial on how to do so. Sorry, this might be obvious to all of you but I'm in a new playground. >.<

Prez

That's just surface noise, you'll have to get used to it.

Also which amp do you have?

swoon

yea - it depends on how loud the static is. if it's over powering the details in the music there might be an issue b/t your phono stage and amp or something like an impedance mismatch with the cart.

but if it's just some light background static it is more or less normal.

Echoes

I'm connecting the 640P to NuForce Icon HDP.

Is the "disc rotating sound" normal? I'm not sure whether that's cool, or if the needle is being hard on the vinyl. God I suck at this. Always in fear of screwing up something.

Top Bottom