• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stuck in the Past - a 33 RPM thread for vinyl listeners and collectors

Oreoleo

I've already got Loveless as well (Don't think it's 180g though), but it's only $15. Hard to go wrong, really. And it's limited to 1000, so if you wanted to resell someday I'm sure it would go for a premium, but I'm not really concerned with such things.

theBishop

Banned
Nation of Ulysses - 13-Point Program to Destroy America

My Bloody Valentine - Loveless

No Age - Get Hurt EP

Ghastly City Sleep - s/t EP

Burial - Untrue

Enjoy :D

Midas

I really need to get Burial, that album is really good. But there's probably only an UK pressing of it and those are crazy expensive. :(

theBishop

Banned
Midas said:
I really need to get Burial, that album is really good. But there's probably only an UK pressing of it and those are crazy expensive. :(

I couldn't believe the store had it. I gave up looking for it after a clerk told me they only had it for a few weeks. Then, I just randomly saw it on South St. It was like $15, not too bad at all.

nlacsh.jpg

I love Brussels.

Eric P

my gf and i went out and spent way to much money at national record day yesterday but we each picked up two of the three Mission of Burma definitive editions on Vinyl.

Mission Of Burma's three records for Ace Of Hearts, released in 1981, 1983 and (posthumously) 1985, are landmarks of American underground guitar rock. They are now finally re-released the way they were intended to be heard, meticulously remastered from the original analog tapes by producer and record label honcho Rick Harte. All 3 are available on vinyl for the first time since the 1980s. Both vinyl and CD come with lavish booklets full of interviews and never-before seen photos and ephemera. In addition, 'Signals' includes 2 unreleased tracks from the "Academy Fight Song" single, the original studio version of "Execution" and a completely unheard song called "Devotion." Both vinyl and CD come with bonus DVDs of original concert footage.

she snagged Signals Calls and Marches while i grabbed the Horrible Truth About Burma. First off the packaging is GREAT.

burma1.jpg

Beautiful double gatefold reveal two 12" records which recreatr the original record label sticker (utilizing ace of hearts rather than matador information), a free floating DVD (more about this later), and a large booklet with many great photos and a making of interview (the one for this release is much shorter than the one included in Signals Marches and Signs) and the now ubiquitous free digital download (256kbps, sourced from the album most likely as there's a bit of run out on track 6).

burma2.jpg

of the two records, sides one and two recreate the original album, the second disc contain four tracks (three from the ryko CD release, the fourth never released). Both discs are 33 1/3 speed, which i think is a bit unfortunate as there is ample space on the second disc to let them go at 45 rpm giving better sound so we could get the BEST sound quality out of the previously unreleased track).

burma3.jpg

the DVD is really neat. The DVD is a live show which was previously released on VHS. Recorded live in Boston in 1983, it contains 17 songs, 6 more than was released on the VHS tape (which, in a neat little feature, is recreated here so you can watch the VHS version).

burma4.jpg

If you like Mission of Burma, then these new versions are THE WAY to go. They can be pricey for vinyl (i paid $25 for this but retail is $30, but considering what you're actually getting (2 discs, a DVD and the digital download) it's really not that out of line.

burma5.jpg

You can get the CD versions which contain the DVDs for $13 through Amazon if you don't have a turntable.

If you'd like more information the Matador page on these is a GREAT resource for what's included, where it's from, and there's even a mini documentary on the restoration recording and even the cutting of the vinyl and they also include clips from the DVDs and full songs in 256kbps so you can hear what it sounds like now

http://www.matadorrecords.com/mission_of_burma/

absolutely amazing releases. a great job on the part of matador.

Midas

ra91xh.jpg

Latest additions!

The Last Shadow Puppets - The Age of the Understatement
Sahara Hotnights - What If Leaving Is a Loving Thing
Håkan Hellström - För sent för edelweiss

The last to is swedish acts, and the last one is in swedish too. :)

Jason

dignudedig.jpg

Radiohead - Nude
Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds - Dig!!! Lazarus Dig!!!

foxmiracle.jpg

Neko Case - Fox Confessor Brings the Flood
Mirah - C'mon Miracle

Not getting the blue version of Fox Confessor bummed me out. :(

joyhome.jpg

Joy Division - promo thing
Emily Haines & The Soft Skeleton - What is Free to a Good Home?

Joy Division was only $5 used but if I'd known it was missing sides C and D I wouldn't have bought it. :| The tracklist

A1 Digital (2:50)
A2 Transmission (3:32)
A3 Passover (4:46)
A4 Atmosphere (4:11)
A5 Twenty Four Hours (4:26)
B1 Disorder (3:30)
B2 She's Lost Control (3:55)
B3 Heart & Soul (5:51)
B4 Leaders Of Men (2:34)
B5 Shadowplay (3:50)
C1 Love Will Tear Us Apart (3:27)
C2 Isolation (2:53)
C3 Wilderness (2:38)
C4 Insight (4:20)
C5 Glass (3:36)
C6 Ice Age (2:25)
D1 A Means To An End (4:07)
D2 These Days (3:26)
D3 Warsaw (2:26)
D4 Decades (6:13)
D5 Ceremony (4:21)

Diablos

I want the Loveless vinyl, as well as the Siamese Dream vinyl. It looks so cool:

2ex0chw.jpg

^Look at the purple-ish one in the center, it's sooooo neat

33bli5g.jpg

2jbkvhg.jpg

Hut release:

24pxff9.jpg

9tz59e.jpg

*drool*

Maybe someday...

Oreoleo

IMGP1113.jpg

Got Third and the Juno soundtrack at the store today, and when I came back Loveless was waiting for me with the rest of the mail :D Check out that sexy translucent on translucent vinyl action!

Here's some pics of my copy of Siamese Dream, first vinyl I ever bought, sometime back in '01 or '02.
IMGP1116.jpg

IMGP1117.jpg

I upped the contrast of the 2nd one a bit to show off the marble effect, which is admittedly not as cool as the one's Diablos posted. From what I understand, the red/blue Hut version is SUPER rare, whereas the other ones are only mostly rare (of those, purple and red being harder to find than a peach/orange copy). Any new sealed copy you see is boring black vinyl.

theBishop

Banned

Oreoleo

I guess this as good of a thread as any for this: What kind of receivers/amplifiers are you all using for your turntables? I'm using an old Fisher stereo receiver w/ phono-in from the 80's and I'm thinking it's time to move on up. Suggestions?

Knox

I've been collecting for a couple weeks, this is my collection so far.

vr7td5.jpg

Radiohead - In Rainbows
Sonic Youth - Daydream Nation
Pixies - Doolittle
Blonde Redhead - Misery is a Butterfly
Sonic Youth - Sonic Nurse
CSS - s/t

I wish I would have found this thread sooner. I just ordered Loveless a couple days ago, and it cost more than the cooler looking red version.

I saw this at the store today and I'm contemplating going back for it.

radio-ok-pic.jpg

It's $40 though, and I should probably slow down my spending a little, but damn if that isn't cool.

theBishop

Banned
minor effort said:
Just this today. There's so many things I want to pick up every time I go to the record store, but I'm forced to show restraint.

I ordered this from Sub Pop yesterday. They are throwing in some drawings from the band and other stuff. I figured it was worth waiting a couple days.

theBishop said:
I ordered this from Sub Pop yesterday. They are throwing in some drawings from the band and other stuff. I figured it was worth waiting a couple days.

Oh yeah? That's pretty cool.

I just picked it up from Amoeba while I was out today. Didn't really come with anything cool. Then again, it was only $13.

Vark

So here's a question to the people with the larger collections. I'm sort of on the upswing of a vinyl addiction (living near waterloo records with their LP happy hours on tuesday isn't helping)

What all do you do to take care of your records?

I've got an audio-technica cleaning brush / liquid kit that works pretty well but if you do a google search you end up with 101 different record cleaning regiments all saying the other 100 ways are crap and will ruin your collection.

It sounds like I should be using a carbon fiber brush most of the time to clean off dust before I play a record and use an alcohol based solution (retail cleaning kit) for somethings thats older or really dirty.

Is there really an appreciable harm in using the alcohol based cleaning brush I have whenever I go to listen to something?

sefskillz

shitting in the alley outside your window
Orellio said:
I guess this as good of a thread as any for this: What kind of receivers/amplifiers are you all using for your turntables? I'm using an old Fisher stereo receiver w/ phono-in from the 80's and I'm thinking it's time to move on up. Suggestions?
im in this boat too. some guy showed off his yamaha amp earlier in the thread and it looked pretty sexy. i moved recently and my record player now has to be seperate from the old amp i used, gotta buy a new one. need suggestions! im lookin at the yamaha rx-397 right now

Midas

I'm using an old Marantz, I see no reason to move up since the only thing I use it for is my vinyls. I will get something else for my TV.

Today's additions;

34qtsw4.png

okno

Just got a used record player for $25 yesterday :D It sounds so fantastic, I can't believe I found it. It's an old cassete/vinyl duo, but is in perfect working condition and even came with a replacement needle! Along with it I bought some records (duh):
Kraftwerk - Electric Cafe (very good condition)
Stan Getz/Joao Gilberto w/ Antonio Carlos Jobim (Good condition, but sounds soooooo good compared to the remastered CD copy I have)
Joao Gilberto and Herman Mann w/ Jobim (very good)

My roommate got 'Eat A Peach' by the Allman Brothers, Kool and then Gang, and some old Duke Ellington record. He went back today to buy 'Go to Heaven' by the Grateful Dead (whyyyyyyyyyy), but someone bought it (thank GOD, I hate that album save for "Althea"), but came back with 'Moonshine' by Santana. We've just been playing each album one by one on repeat since yesterday, it all sounds so good.

I'm just worried that my next paycheck will be going all towards records =X I have such a huge list of 7" singles that I've been wanting to buy...

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
So I bought a record player off my friend for $10 bucks. It's a Dual CS 2110. He threw in a copy of Queen's A Night at the Opera. The only problem is I don't have anything to set it up to yet.

sazabirules said:
So I bought a record player off my friend for $10 bucks. It's a Dual CS 2110. He threw in a copy of Queen's A Night at the Opera. The only problem is I don't have anything to set it up to yet.

Connect it with your PC?

sazabirules said:
How would I go about doing that?

I used a special USB-device by a companey named "Pinnacle Systems" so I could connect the audio cables of my recordplayer with my PC.

Dumb thing is that I can't find it on their homepage.

Today's.

newrecordhaul.jpg

Velvet Underground - Velvet Underground
Wolf Parade - Apologies to the Queen Mary
Liars - Liars
Liars - The Other Side of Mt. Heart Attack 7"

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
Orellio said:

I use the following:

Thorens TP-302 Phonostage (MM/MC)

THORENSTEP302.jpg

Densen B-150 Integrated amp:

B-150-A2.gif

As for amp/phonostage suggestions, you have two options:

Amp/receiver with built-in phonostage or separate units like my system above.

I'm happy to make suggestions but I need to know what your budget is.

Chinner

Banned
so thought this would be the right thread to ask, but basically im interested in starting a record collection and so on. Thing is, I don't really know much about what I need and which are decent and affordable. like wihch turntables, amps and speakers and so on.

any help/advice would be appreciated

moar

b468lt.jpg

Velvet Underground - White Light / White Heat
Black Lips - Good Bad Not Evil
Panda Bear - Person Pitch
My Bloody Valentine - Loveless
Blood on the Wall - Awesomer

And now I'm out of store credit at Amoeba. Fun's over.

june24recs.jpg

Blood on the Wall - Liferz
of Montreal - Hissing Fauna, Are You The Destroyer?
Casiotone for the Painfully Alone - Etiquette
Radiohead - In Rainbows

Foxix Von

Alright, so I'm looking to expand on my vinyl fetish. I've literally just started and the only turntable I have right now is an old piece of trash Soundesign cassette/turntable/am/fm stereo on which the sound constantly cuts out =/
the only reason we have it is because my grandpa thought it was broken

So right now I'm looking at the AT-PL120 and it seems reasonably priced, however I am worried about the built in preamp and if its worth buying a different different cartridge like this little guy. A lot of people seem to complain that the tracking force is high on the one it comes with and the Shure is going for a VERY reasonable price.

Now if these seem alright, the next problem is my receiver. It's literally walmart quality as I actually bought it from walmart for under 100 bucks =\ and pretty much anything I run through it sounds terrible. For example, I have my 360 hooked up via hdmi to the tv and red/white whateveryacallems to the receiver. When I hook up my headphones to the receiver everything sounds grainy and staticky when compared to hooking it up to the TV which sounds like a choir of angels singing... relatively speaking.

So if I'm going to go through with this (which I reaaally want to) I'm going to need a better receiver/speakers so if anyone has any ideas of something not TOO expensive I would greatly appreciate any recommendations.

Jason

Bought these a couple weeks ago. Scarlett <3 <3

newvinyl.jpg

And I decided to give myself a little birthday present...

pd3.jpg

Pro-Ject Debut III, Piano Black. :D A bitch and a half to setup but the sound is glorious.

pd32.jpg

Yoshimi never sounded so good. :)

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
Jason said:
awesome pics of new turntable

Congrats!

An excellent beginners TT and a great way to get knee-deep into vinyl.

I simply can't wait for my headphones to arrive so I can listen to my vinyl without the deteriorating vibrations effecting the cartridge from tracking due to my speakers.

Top Bottom