• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Studio Ghibli 2013 movies - Miyazaki's Kaze Tachinu and Takahata's Kaguya-hime

Status
Not open for further replies.

zeroshiki

With absolutely no basis whatsoever and considering the heaviness of the topic of the movie, I get the feeling that this could be the movie Miyazaki always wanted to make. This could very well be his and Takahata's swan song.

;_;

trinest

Speaking about movies when is that movie which came out last year in Japan finally going to release in English.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
The poster for Kaze Tachinu says the film is a homage to both Jiro Horikoshi and Hori Tatsuo. Horikoshi is the designer of the Zero Fighter, and we already know the movie centers around his life (likely to be heavily fictionized). Hori Tatsuo is a famous Japanese writer who wrote a novel called Kaze Tachinu, a story about a pair of young lovers where the girl succumbs to illness and the guy returns to the village where they first met to spend his winter. Sounds like this could be the most depressing Miyazaki movie yet!
It's depressing that's most likely Miyazaki overall attitude to life these days. With the ironic point that his films like kiki's delivery service, my neighbour totoro etc, showcased the simple beauty of our own world.;_;

duckroll

It's depressing that's most likely Miyazaki overall attitude to life these days. With the ironic point that his films like kiki's delivery service, my neighbour totoro etc, showcased the simple beauty of our own world.;_;

Yeah I think we already knew that when this interview came out: http://www.nausicaa.net/wiki/Latest_News#More_Details_on_Miyazaki.27s_Next_Film

Though I think this probably must be said off the record, I make a movie of a man who developed a weapon of the war. This man had talent most in Japan in those days. But he failed very hard. Because he was not able to accomplish craftsmanship in defeat, his heart was torn to shreds. But when I heard that he murmured "I wanted to make a beautiful thing", I thought "this is it!"

I had thought why he made such a thing. Cannot make such a thing without a motive to want to make a beautiful thing. This man is not making a weapon. As a result, its motive made a beautiful thing, but it was a high-performance weapon. In a sense he is a tragic character. He failed though he did it as hard as possible. So, he finishes his life as a very unsociable old man. (laughs)

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
With absolutely no basis whatsoever and considering the heaviness of the topic of the movie, I get the feeling that this could be the movie Miyazaki always wanted to make. This could very well be his and Takahata's swan song.

;_;

The last time Miyazaki and Takahata released films in the same year, it was Takahata with the depressing film and Miyazaki with the happy one; now it's reversed!

Speaking about movies when is that movie which came out last year in Japan finally going to release in English.

From Up on Poppy Hill? Should be next spring in the US.

qindarka

Banned
The last time Miyazaki and Takahata released films in the same year, it was Takahata with the depressing film and Miyazaki with the happy one; now it's reversed!

I don't think Takahata's film will be happy, at least from reading the sypnosis of the soucr material on Wikipedia.

Grzi

Really excited for the Takahata one, cautiously excited for the Miyazaki one.
Still, pretty hyped about this.

I believe Arrietty had a pop song added. Other than it and Ponyo, I don't think Disney did that to any other Ghibli movie.

Of course, Castle in the Sky has a revised score by Hisaishi for the English dub.
I don't mind revisions for the most part as long as it is well done. Random pop songs where they don't fit are a problem if it is on the Japanese language track as well as the english one. Is this an issue with the Japanese audio in Arrietty? I'd rather get Nausicaa if that is the case.

duckroll

http://eiga.com/news/20121213/11/

There's a bit more information on Miyazaki's movie here. It confirms that the love story element is based on "Kaze Tachinu" by Hori Tatsuo, and that the story itself would cover Jiro Horikoshi's early life from the point where he's 10 years old, and should span about 30 years. Based on that timeline, it would mean the story should conclude with WW2, after the creation of the Zero Fighter.

Also, the two movies are not being released together as a double-bill. They are separate releases due out on the same day. Apparently they don't care about them competing against each other, and just want to see how they perform on their own. Kinda crazy. Both films are expected to be full length movies running about 2 hours 5 minutes.

zeroshiki

http://eiga.com/news/20121213/11/

There's a bit more information on Miyazaki's movie here. It confirms that the love story element is based on "Kaze Tachinu" by Hori Tatsuo, and that the story itself would cover Jiro Horikoshi's early life from the point where he's 10 years old, and should span about 30 years. Based on that timeline, it would mean the story should conclude with WW2, after the creation of the Zero Fighter.

Also, the two movies are not being released together as a double-bill. They are separate releases due out on the same day. Apparently they don't care about them competing against each other, and just want to see how they perform on their own. Kinda crazy. Both films are expected to be full length movies running about 2 hours 5 minutes.

The double bill was always a fan pipedream owing to how movies work nowadays. Them releasing on the same day is surprising though since this is most likely not going to maximize profit because both will eventually cannibalize each other.

I'm gonna enjoy watching both on the same day nonetheless.

Empty

excited for both but especially bamboo cutter because takahata hasn't made a film in a while.

just going off descriptions but it's pretty interesting to see miyazaki do more of a grounded, realistic drama and takahata do more of fantastical adventure. sort of an inversion of their usual styles.

watkinzez

Yes please! Not familiar with the composer for Takahata's film, but I do have one of his works, Kagemusha, on my shelf. Should get to that soon.
So, mid-2013 theatrical release, mid-2014 home release... 18 months and counting.

Blader

I honestly don't think Ghibli have made a really good film since My Neighbour Yamadas and Spirited Away.

Yeah, Tales of Earthsea was the only one that was complete garbage. But the likes of ponyo, howls moving castle, arrietty simply weren't as memorable as their 80s/90s stuff, not to mention, the first two suffered from all of Miyazaki's worst TRAITS as a director.

I thought Arrietty was pretty good; I'd rank it in the better half of Ghibli canon.

Poppy Hill was a total bore though.

I thought Arrietty was pretty good; I'd rank it in the better half of Ghibli canon.

Poppy Hill was a total bore though.

that's a shame. I liked Arrietty too and Ponyo. Howl's moving castle I'm just okay with.
I really liked that ending of Arrietty was sort of hopeful but also melancholy, not everything worked out the most perfect way.

Meier

Did anyone see the borrowers one from earlier this year? I missed it.

It's very good but not great. I didn't buy the Blu-Ray for instance.

I'm super excited though as always about both of these. It's been so long since Takahata directed something!

qindarka

Banned
What has Takahata been doing since directing My neighbours the Yamadas. Was he involved in any of Ghibli's projects since then?

mantidor

Oooh kaguya hime got my attention, not only for Takahata's comeback but because is such a traditional Japanese folktale, I really can't wait.

jph139

Absolutely loved Porco Rosso, so I'm looking forward to seeing what Miyazaki can do with another period piece (albeit a more grounded one).

Wubby

Odd to see Model Graphix mentioned and not being me who mentioned it.

I'll see Miyazaki's for sure. For the US though I think it's a bit odd Disney releasing this considering the stuff they put out during the war. I can only imagine old Walt rolling in his grave (or cryogenic tube).

qindarka

Banned
Odd to see Model Graphix mentioned and not being me who mentioned it.

I'll see Miyazaki's for sure. For the US though I think it's a bit odd Disney releasing this considering the stuff they put out during the war. I can only imagine old Walt rolling in his grave (or cryogenic tube).

Will Disney be releasing these films? I was under the impression that Gkids had taken over their role of distributing Ghibli films in the West, they are doing so for From Up on Poppy Hill next year.

Daft_Cat

Yah. At the same time, even his earlier films always had a lamenting element to them. My Neighbour Totoro, for example, where recognizing the beauty of our own world was tied to the innocence of children. Something we lose.

Even in Kiki, which takes place in an alternate reality where World War 2 never happened. The magic of that world seems almost like Miyazaki's idea of a "what if?" scenario. What if the 20th century hadn't been defined by cynicism, war and hatred? How magical might it have seemed?

It seems like his new film will adress these themes more directly...but I'd argue they've always been a subtext in his work. He clearly thinks the 20th century represents a collective loss of innocence, combined with an absolute failure of imagination.

qcJAj.jpg

This is delightful.
Is there more to it, or is it really that short a piece?

duckroll

This is delightful.
Is there more to it, or is it really that short a piece?

The manga was serialized in several parts in the hobby magazine Model Graphix. I don't read that magazine, so I don't know much about the contents beyond the pages and panels which other Ghibli fans have put online over the years. It has never been released in a collected volume either. But there's much more to it than just that scene, yes.

Ezalc

Guys I still love Howl's Moving Castle to pieces.

I don't love it, but I definitely don't get the hate. Then again I haven't read the book so maybe that's why. Hate Ponyo with a passion though.

Can't wait to see these two movies.

MrKaepora

Based on what we know, the movie should be more about the earlier life of the designer, but it will also cover his disillusion with the nature of his inventions, and the aftermath. Honestly, it sounds pretty depressing for a Miyazaki film, so it should be interesting.
Can't wait for this, should be interesting.

The manga was serialized in several parts in the hobby magazine Model Graphix. I don't read that magazine, so I don't know much about the contents beyond the pages and panels which other Ghibli fans have put online over the years. It has never been released in a collected volume either. But there's much more to it than just that scene, yes.

Thanks a lot for the info, it's a real shame no collected volume exists.
I'm now off to find whatever is floating around online!

krYlon

I've been waiting for Takahata's film for sooooo long. The guy is a genius in my eyes. Maybe my favourite filmmaker. I really can't wait.

Miyazaki's is intriguing too.

Joining in the celebrations in here! Can't wait for both of these! Just the posters alone made my mind drift to peaceful places :)

Will Disney be releasing these films? I was under the impression that Gkids had taken over their role of distributing Ghibli films in the West, they are doing so for From Up on Poppy Hill next year.

In North America, maybe. Haven't heard anything on StudioCanal dropping their ongoing distribution n dubbing deal for the EU market.

Jex

I feel like this very nearly has to be it for these two legends of anime. They've been in this game too long :(

/XX/

I feel like this very nearly has to be it for these two legends of anime. They've been in this game too long :(
As long as they want to tell a story and obtain the necessary funding for it, what is the problem of doing this until death? You wouldn't restrict their expression rights, no?

GCX

Maybe for Takahata but Miyazaki doesn't show any signs of stopping just yet. I mean during the last few years he did the screenplay for Arrietty and Poppy Hill, drew a new short manga and now is directing a movie based on it.

As long as they want to tell a story and obtain the necessary funding for it, what is the problem of doing this until death? You wouldn't restrict their expression rights, no?

These feel like the sort of "go out with a bang, I've said all I want to say" kind of projects that will lead to retirement for Miyazaki and Takahata (and Ghibli?). But of course, who knows what will happen.

Jex

Maybe for Takahata but Miyazaki doesn't show any signs of stopping just yet. I mean during the last few years he's made the screenplay for Arrietty and Poppy Hill, drew a new short manga and now is directing a movie based on it.

Well, to be brutally honest I feel like Miyazaki has considerably past his prime at this point. Which isn't to say that I'd want him to stop creating movies because even when they aren't what I'm looking for they're still very special.

I don't have any problem with them doing that, it's their lives to live, after all. I just feel like they've already sacrificed so much of their times and lives and their relationships (I'm mainly referring to Miyazaki in this instance) for their craft that it's just a little sad. Of course if they're still cranking these things out then I presume there's nothing else they'd rather be doing.

dvolovets

These feel like the sort of "go out with a bang, I've said all I want to say" kind of projects that will lead to retirement for Miyazaki and Takahata (and Ghibli?). But of course, who knows what will happen.

I very much doubt the bolded. I admit I don't know much about their financial situation, but you'd think there's enough young talent to keep the studio going... especially with their reputation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom