• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Studio Ghibli 2013 movies - Miyazaki's Kaze Tachinu and Takahata's Kaguya-hime

Status
Not open for further replies.

duckroll

I very much doubt the bolded. I admit I don't know much about their financial situation, but you'd think there's enough young talent to keep the studio going... especially with their reputation.

Ghibli is nothing without Miyazaki and Takahata. Suzuki has admitted as much that it is likely that after they die/retire, the studio could cease to exist and the company be converted to an IP management business instead. They have a lot of strong brands, but the only talent which really drives the studio are the two founders.

I very much doubt the bolded. I admit I don't know much about their financial situation, but you'd think there's enough young talent to keep the studio going... especially with their reputation.

Miyazaki has done a very poor job at cultivating young talent at Ghibli. The quintessential example of that is kicking Hosoda off Howl's because what he was doing didn't fit the Ghibli mold. When you're relying on Goro Miyazaki to direct films, you know you're in trouble.

I don't see a future for the studio beyond Miyazaki and Takahata.

GCX

Ghibli was founded as a studio where Miyazaki and Takahata could make movies without compromises. When they retire, maybe the studio's mission is done. It's a sad thought of course but oh well, we'll see what happens when that day comes.

ZoddGutts

I'm find with that selling out after the old guard dies. If it means getting another Lupin film from Ghibli or even a Nausicaä TV series adaptation, I'm cool.

/XX/

These feel like the sort of "go out with a bang, I've said all I want to say" kind of projects that will lead to retirement for Miyazaki and Takahata (and Ghibli?). But of course, who knows what will happen.
I also had that impression, but I also think they just always want to say the last word. :)

I don't have any problem with them doing that, it's their lives to live, after all.
I know, my pal... maybe I didn't say it as tongue-in-cheek enough because I thought you were also half serious...

I just feel like they've already sacrificed so much of their times and lives and their relationships (I'm mainly referring to Miyazaki in this instance) for their craft that it's just a little sad. Of course if they're still cranking these things out then I presume there's nothing else they'd rather be doing.
In what I said I would include a possible hands-off approach to their future works, like the guidelines and such that Mr. Miyazaki gives for works lately before 'entering the fray' completely! He already claimed retirement two times before to later come back, and specifically he returns as an animation supervisor even though he also expressed his difficulties to do that very exhausting task because he feels "too old". I just think this is so much part of their lives it would be worse for them to leave, even if they really want to make way for others!

LuuKyK

Oh my, I missed the announcement! x_x

Can't wait for both of them. But my heart always has a special place for the Miyazaki + Hisaichi combo.

Cwarrior

Wait What? A New Takahata and a New Miyazaki Movie YESSS!!! Finally the two greatest have come back!.

Huge fan of both slightly more for Takahata(pom poko & horus).

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
The tagline is like: "The princesses sin and punishment."

:)

:(

Also, the two movies are not being released together as a double-bill. They are separate releases due out on the same day. Apparently they don't care about them competing against each other, and just want to see how they perform on their own. Kinda crazy.

That is really strange. Isn't Ghibli having financial problems? Wouldn't releasing them further apart allow for them to maximize profits for each? Releasing them on the same day is going to result in the two films cannibalizing each other.

Branduil

:(

That is really strange. Isn't Ghibli having financial problems? Wouldn't releasing them further apart allow for them to maximize profits for each? Releasing them on the same day is going to result in the two films cannibalizing each other.

I haven't heard of Ghibli having financial problems.

Risette

A Good Citizen
Really? I thought they were doing ok. But printing money?

I can't tell if you are being ironic or not
Ghibli movies are rather successful in Japan. Like, very.

The only exceptions are movies directed by Goro, because he sucks and everybody knows he sucks so they don't waste their money.

GCX

Sounds like Miyazaki being melodramatic.
He is but there is also some truth in his words.

Only Miyazaki movies make A LOT of money for Ghibli and even profits from his movies have been declining since Spirited Away. We know that there was a real plan to turn Ghibli into IP management business in case Arrietty would've bombed. The studio isn't a goldmine, its future rests on every new movie release.

ZoddGutts

Are they really in financial problem they seem to make a lot of money even the non Miyazaki films. Their recent films:

Earthsea cost $22 million and it made 68 mil at the box office
Ponyo cost $34 mil and it did $202 mil.
Arrietty cost $23 mil and it did $145 mil.
From Up on Poppy Hill did 60 mil.

*Info from wiki...

Their either spending all their money that they made to buy Islands or their bs'n.

He is but there is also some truth in his words.

Only Miyazaki movies make A LOT of money for Ghibli and even profits from his movies have been declining since Spirited Away. We know that there was a real plan to turn Ghibli into IP management business in case Arrietty would've bombed. The studio isn't a goldmine, its future rests on every new movie release.
Still sounds like BS. Ghibli has a shaky future from a talent perspective, not a financial one.

dvolovets

Ghibli is nothing without Miyazaki and Takahata. Suzuki has admitted as much that it is likely that after they die/retire, the studio could cease to exist and the company be converted to an IP management business instead. They have a lot of strong brands, but the only talent which really drives the studio are the two founders.

I don't really buy that, to be honest. Ghibli is a strong brand, and there are several young guys who could use it to advance their own work. I realize that Goro Miyazaki is not the ideal successor -- I couldn't stand Tales of Earthsea, like most folks -- but I don't think it's entirely a talent wasteland. Isn't the guy who directed Arrietty fairly young? I enjoyed that one. I realize that Miyazaki came up with the story, but I think it's pretty silly to say that he's got a monopoly on writing good stories. Miyazaki is my absolute favorite anime director (hell, maybe even director, period), but I am sure Ghibli will stick around after he retires.

ZoddGutts

Yonebayashi is the Arrietty guy and for how much shit Goro gets, Poppy Hill was a good movie.

Yeah both Arriettty and Poppy Hill were about the same level. Nothing special but good. Personally thought they were better than Hayao's recent efforts Howl's Moving Castle and Ponyo.

zeroshiki

I haven't been omgimpressed by a Hayao Miyazaki movie since Spirited Away so I thought Arrietty and Poppy Hill were good enough efforts for "New Ghibli"

CiSTM

Banned
Besides Grave of the Fireflys and Only Yesterday I have never been much of a fan. Yamada's would have worked well as 5 min episodical show but as a movie it was such a bore. Going by the poster and some inf that has been given, I'm not interested in his latest movie either.

Miyazaki's film sounds great and really interesting.

krYlon

Yamadas is my favourite Ghibli. It's the most creative anime I have ever seen. It's also extremely thoughtful and beautiful.

CiSTM

Banned
Yamadas is my favourite Ghibli. It's the most creative anime I have ever seen. It's also extremely thoughtful and beautiful.

For me Yamadas didn't even feel like a movie, it was like one of those animes that are constructed from short strips. All in all Yamadas was great from art style to characters but for me it just didn't work as movie. If they had aired it as tv show I think I would have liked it much more.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
I think that was the point of Yamadas. To have small story sequences about a family. Every time I watch it, I find more love for it somehow. It's easily up there as one of my favourite films.

I've set aside some time in the next month to do a personal Ghibli retrospective. I'm looking forward to it.

krYlon

For me Yamadas didn't even feel like a movie, it was like one of those animes that are constructed from short strips. All in all Yamadas was great from art style to characters but for me it just didn't work as movie. If they had aired it as tv show I think I would have liked it much more.

Nah, it worked as a whole for me. Not all films have to be linear. If it was aired as a tv show, the ending would not have worked as well, and I don't think I would have felt as strong a connection with the family if it was broken up into a tv show.
I felt like it was a portrait of a family, and the portrait needed to be shown as a whole.

CiSTM

Banned
Nah, it worked as a whole for me. Not all films have to be linear. If it was aired as a tv show, the ending would not have worked as well, and I don't think I would have felt as strong a connection with the family if it was broken up into a tv show.
I felt like it was a portrait of a family, and the portrait needed to be shown as a whole.

I agree that not all movies need to be linear but for me it just felt like watching many 5 minute episodes in a row and I guess I'm not just all that interestd in that kind of format. I do agree about the ending.

Maybe if the film would have been constructed from fewer but longer sequences it would have been more to my taste. As Yamadas were they reminded me of animated tv shorts that were shown in between programs and as a kid I always liked them and kinda wanted Yamadas to be like that.

-Stranger-

Can't wait, i love Ghibli films so much.
I recently purchased Castle in the Sky on bluray.
Going to rewatch it soon in it's HD glory :D

LuuKyK

I haven't been omgimpressed by a Hayao Miyazaki movie since Spirited Away so I thought Arrietty and Poppy Hill were good enough efforts for "New Ghibli"

I just watched Ponyo and Arriety and I have to say that I thought Arriety was better. Ponyo was very inventive/criative and looked beautiful but I didn't feel that much connected to the characters as I normally do and the places weren't as remarkable as I expected them to be. Arriety, though, gave me a feeling of a mix of Spirited Away and Hotaru no Haka and by that I mean that the world was incredibly crafted (the little houses/spaces were AMAZING - it reminded of how much I loved the spa-palace in Spirited Away) and the story was very emotional like Hotaru no Haka (I admit that I teared up a bit in the end of both). Both had fantastic music though. Eh, in the end I always love Ghibli's films, they are all so amazingly crafted that I just can't help considering it and liking it. Will try and watch Poppy Hill now.

Accoun

Yeah, Tales of Earthsea was the only one that was complete garbage. But the likes of ponyo, howls moving castle, arrietty simply weren't as memorable as their 80s/90s stuff, not to mention, the first two suffered from all of Miyazaki's worst TRAITS as a director.

Honesty, Howl's Moving Castle was the first Ghibli movie I've seen. I was disappointed considering what I heard about the studio. Earthsea was next and I actually preferred it even if it wasn't THAT good.
Luckily I've seen Nausicaä, Totoro and a few others and my faith in them was restored.

About those, I'm especially interested in Miyazaki's one. The second not so much, because it's another adaptation of that folk tale. Will watch it anyway and hopefully (more like "most likely") it's gonna be an interesting twist on the story...

/XX/

With all the expected focus on personal drama next Mr. Miyazaki film probably will have, could we say in the future that he has abandoned himself to his own pessimistic vision (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2L0YgdIpXas&feature=player_detailpage#t=335s)? Will he freed himself from his own restraints and express something else now? Or will this movie end on a high (and full of hope) note?

You know, I was thinking about that and... maybe the nostalgia itself plays a more important role on this than anything else. From what people have commented about The Wind Rises graphic novel, it is a quite a light work more chronicle of Jirō Horikoshi's inventive processess and focused on the actual historical records of his labors. The way a Mr. Caproni insert makes occasional technical clarifications, the critical reviews of other related advancements in the same era that are featured here simultaneously to educate the reader... all of these make the work closer to his other 'one-shots' and serializations with anthropomorphized pig impersonations, made when he was mainly interested in being educational on historic events related to a hobby present on Model Graphix magazine, particularly.

What we have seen about his vision of that time period he lived so close in (I would consider Porco Rosso and My Neighbor Totoro examples of this) has been above all the work of an optimist fantasista, in spite of his mentioned pessimism, but the newly introduced component that is Tatsuo Hori's novel on the setting (and other ideas Mr. Miyazaki could have had about the adaptation of his own graphic novel) can change everything about this new project. However, given the original nature of the work this is based in, I am more inclined to believe in a not too heavy load of dramatism on the new film.

Anyway, leaving unimportant speculation aside, have some real news not posted here yet:

Latest News - GhibliWiki
http://www.nausicaa.net/wiki/Latest_News#Kaze_Tachinu_Details_Extravaganza

Quite interesting information, collected with the help of omnipresent T. Ishikawa, specially the info from the announcement conference:

Latest News - GhibliWiki --LLin 03:48 said:
Twelve notes from the press conference:

1. Both films will be released on the same day, and same scale, but separately. No double-feature like with Totoro and Grave of the Fireflies.

2. Studio Ghibli was going to release Kaguya-hime earlier then Kaze Tachinu at first, but it will be released on the same day due to production delays.

3. Both films run times will be about 125 minutes

4. Toshio Suzuki revealed that Miyazaki "quivered with excitement" when he heard about the simultaneous release.

5. Kaze Tachinu shows a love story that adopted Tatsuo Hori's Kaze Tachinu and the life of Horikoshi as an engineer.

6. Kaze Tachinu begins with a 10 year old Jiro Horiko and runs through when the 42 years old sees his Zero fighter fly.

7. Miyazaki has a profound knowledge about war. He thought what happened if he let Tatsuo Hori's love story dock with the story of the life of the person who designed the Zero fighter.

8. Miyazaki was born in Showa 16 (1941) so he cannot avoid the war. His generation likes fighters and tanks but Japan lost the war and his youth was a time of pacifism. Miyazaki has lived in the contradiction. Weapons and pacifism. Miyazaki told Suzuki that he would like to clarify why a human being like him was born in the film.

9. Kaguya-hime was elaborated in a plan in 2005, it was a 30 minutes short film at first.

10. Toshio Suzuki expressed about the script of Kaguya-hime, "if Alpine Girl Heidi was set in Japan and made, it would be like this."

11. Voice recording work of Kahiya-hime is already finished. Kaguya-hime adopts the pre-recording/post-animating style not common at Studio Ghibli. Takahata told Suzuki, "this may possibly become my best film."

12. Studio Ghibli formally decided to make "Hikouki-Gumo" as the theme song for Kaze Tachinu.
http://www.nausicaa.net/wiki/Latest_News#Kaze_Tachinu_Details_Extravaganza

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
The schematics of it all is merely going to be kept within myself, but I am hoping that this might surpass Porco Rosso as my favourite Ghibli movie. Whether Miyazaki is able to stomach the grief of the foreboding subject matter or not will be interesting.

Sushigod7

I'm excited for the two new films I have almost completed my collection of Ghibli at least the domestic versions. Getting these domestically will take awhile what do you guys usually do to see these, wait for international DVD/Blu-ray?

LuuKyK

I'm excited for the two new films I have almost completed my collection of Ghibli at least the domestic versions. Getting these domestically will take awhile what do you guys usually do to see these, wait for international DVD/Blu-ray?

Sadly I don't own any of them (I rent them) because I want them on Blu-ray but there is no way I can find it where I live, they are just available just on DVD. I will probably have to import from amazon or something.

Sushigod7

Sadly I don't own any of them (I rent them) because I want them on Blu-ray but there is no way I can find it where I live, they are just available just on DVD. I will probably have to import from amazon or something.

No shame in that at least you get to see them. I started buying every once in awhile, I'm in the US so Disney has distribution rights here which isn't the best thing. By the way anyone who can order from Amazon US they have most of the Ghibli movies discounted 5 dollars or so, DVD's are around 16 most Blu-Rays around 20. They don't go on sale often it's not a bad time to buy one or two.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom