• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Studio Liverpool on Wipeout 2048 page: " WE. ARE. ALIVE. " [Well, not really]

Tenki

01YgS.jpg

And why do people want Psygnosis/Studio Liverpool to make a new F-Zero, when Sega is still there?

Edit: Oh, I see Amusement Vision died this year :(

btkadams

On topic: Imagine a PS4 Wipeout with all the bells & whistles...oh oh

imagine sony actually marketing the game and it selling well! all of my friends are always wowed when i show them wipeout. no one seems to know what it is.

you would think it would be a big franchise with the trippy visuals and trendy electronic music.

Ok, just a thought to throw out there for discussion. WipEout facebook and twitter pages show "WE. ARE. ALIVE." But we are getting conflicting reports that Sony Liverpool is still shutdown and has not been brought back. Well what if Sony Liverpool is indeed still shutdown but production on a new WipEout is taking place with a new/different studio at Sony?

Sid

Ok, just a thought to throw out there for discussion. WipEout facebook and twitter pages show "WE. ARE. ALIVE." But we are getting conflicting reports that Sony Liverpool is still shutdown and has not been brought back. Well what if Sony Liverpool is indeed still shutdown but production on a new WipEout is taking place with a new/different studio at Sony?
Wipeout 4 handed to evolution maybe?

It would still be a pretty dick move to announce it in this way. But, I wouldn't necessarily put it past Sony...

Shiloa

It would still be a pretty dick move to announce it in this way. But, I wouldn't necessarily put it past Sony...

Not really. It's the wipeout page saying "we are alive". Which suggests that Wipeout is alive - with probably many devs from Liverpool helping out.

In the WipEout HD screen shot mode you can edit stuff like tint so maybe that's why you didn't recognize it at first. Didn't strike with me at first either but I just noticed the huge vertical drop, urban environment, and that it was clearly from WipEout HD. Pretty darn cool though that it's based on where you're from!

And yes, I can see the next WipEout being handled by Evolution as a reasonably possibility, especially if it's a wheel-based WipEout.

Tell me, which publisher would finance a game like Wipeout that does not sell well?
Was it that the Wipeout games were abject failures, or that they just weren't as successful as Sony needed them to be?

Giving a project from one publisher to another is not new - look at Brutal Legend, Sleeping Dogs, Bayonetta 2. Not that I am suggesting that's happening here.

Tell me, which publisher would finance a game like Wipeout that does not sell well?

WipEout can sell a lot if Sony actually marketed it well. I know several people who picked it up as part of the "Welcome Home" gift and loved it. If they would of followed up and released WipEout 2048 on PS3 as well they would be able to see just how many new fans they got from that, instead they release it exclusive to a device almost nobody has and get disappointed when it doesn't sell.

I also think a better tutorial would of helped, I recommended WipEout to several people and many come back with complaints that point to confusion with the concept of air brakes. And let's face it, the game throws you on the tight narrow courses from the get-go and that can be frustrating to a newcomer even on Venom. If there were some easy broad tracks to start people off on so they could still make turns full speed without the air brakes and then gradually bring them into the reality of what WipEout is all about it could of gone better. Something to keep the new guys playing for more than 5 minutes before quitting in frustration.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?

I keep hearing this but I find it hard to believe that WipEout Fury HD didn't sell well in terms of numbers at least, problem is Sony sacrificed it to get people into their eco system by way of making it a lower priced digital only title, it would of no doubt made a lot more money if it was an international retail release with an advertising push, and then available on the PSN at a later date with a reduced price, this all Sony's fault, I bought a PS3 purely for WipEout and was prepared to pay full retail day one.

Dunan

I also think a better tutorial would of helped, I recommended WipEout to several people and many come back with complaints that point to confusion with the concept of air brakes.

The 2048-add-on versions of HD and Fury are worse -- there's no explanation of what buttons do what, and since the Vita only has one shoulder button on each side, you know there are going to be differences. I had no idea how to handle some of the exotic event types (Detonator, Zone Battle) because there are actions that you just don't know how to do.

thuway

Yep. This is classic Sony alright. *sigh*

You do realize they are probably being quiet because there is a shit ton to work out? Closing a studio, relocating the staff, and re-opening it requires a considerable amount of work. I'd wait 24 hours before any confirmation.

WipEout can sell a lot if Sony actually marketed it well. I know several people who picked it up as part of the "Welcome Home" gift and loved it. If they would of followed up and released WipEout 2048 on PS3 as well they would be able to see just how many new fans they got from that, instead they release it exclusive to a device almost nobody has and get disappointed when it doesn't sell.

I also think a better tutorial would of helped, I recommended WipEout to several people and many come back with complaints that point to confusion with the concept of air brakes. And let's face it, the game throws you on the tight narrow courses from the get-go and that can be frustrating to a newcomer even on Venom. If there were some easy broad tracks to start people off on so they could still make turns full speed without the air brakes and then gradually bring them into the reality of what WipEout is all about it could of gone better. Something to keep the new guys playing for more than 5 minutes before quitting in frustration.
This is true. I have a friend who likes the Vita game better because of the wider tracks and because he can use just one button for the airbraking. I'm all for making the series more accessible, especially if that's what it takes for it to live on.

If Wipeout 2048 came out on PSN by some miracle I'd buy two copies.

btw, is that image from facebook new? I don't ever recall seeing that before today.
I did a Google Image search, no match.

Corto

You do realize they are probably being quiet because there is a shit ton to work out? Closing a studio, relocating the staff, and re-opening it requires a considerable amount of work. I'd wait 24 hours before any confirmation.

The cat is out of the bag. *no pun intended meowwwww hehehehe sorry* Acknowledge that something is going on with a PR speak short communication to stop this madness.

lupinko

01YgS.jpg

And why do people want Psygnosis/Studio Liverpool to make a new F-Zero, when Sega is still there?

Edit: Oh, I see Amusement Vision died this year :(

Amusement Vision is still there, it's the main development studio house of Sega now, especially considering Nagoshi is one of the top heads of Sega.

Nosgoroth

If this ends well this will be a legendary thread. If it doesn't, the end result is going to be like pouring a pack of salt into a gunshot wound.

Answers, please. Release them as DLC, even, if you must.

Jamie OD

It would be great if a new Wipeout game comes out with the Liverpool staff making it somehow but I'm not holding my breath.

Good afternoon Pilots

As you may be aware; Studio Liverpool shut its doors on the 22nd of August 2012.

It was a very sad day- the end of an era and will never be forgotten. While we wait for news on the future of WipEout, Online play will continue to be supported and there will be plenty of WipEout community events, giveaways and goodies to look forward to!

WipEout’s passion will live on - Together we are stronger and together we will keep WipEout alive.

WE ♥ WO!
https://www.facebook.com/WipEout2048

Musiol

http://www.facebook.com/WipEout2048 said:
Good afternoon Pilots

As you may be aware; Studio Liverpool shut its doors on the 22nd of August 2012.

It was a very sad day- the end of an era and will never be forgotten. While we wait for news on the future of WipEout, Online play will continue to be supported and there will be plenty of WipEout community events, giveaways and goodies to look forward to!

WipEout’s passion will live on - Together we are stronger and together we will keep WipEout alive.

WE ♥ WO!

New post from their facebook page.

true Gek

UPDATE:

Good afternoon Pilots

WE ♥ WO!

Hum... I don't know what to think!

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
LMAO. Biggest troll of the day goes to this community manager.

WipEout is definitely still alive. The update on facebook didn't shoot down any possibility (in fact, it told us to wait for news on the future of WipEout).

In my opinion this is just big brother Sony telling these people to quiet down and not reveal anything too early. Keep on believing!

hym

Banned
I now wish somebody was not ALIVE, horrible PR.

And hear I am thinking magazines are doing crap jobs when teasing issue covers, at least those disappointments aren't made up.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
There is?

There is and was always a possibility. Not sure why anyone would have thought the closure of SL necessarily meant the end of Wipeout.

If it is to live on, hopefully it gets a proper treatment from a good team. Evolution seems like an obvious candidate to take it on.

But the possibility that it might live on isn't really news.

The possibility that SL was reopening would have been awesome news. Alas :(

Empty

smh. someone change the thread title so no-one else has to deal with the heartbreak of finding out that this just meant they're continuing to give out free goodies on their facebook page.

Top Bottom