• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stupid Questions 2 |OT| of questions that don't deserve their own threads, The Sequel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, that's why you should do it the other way around.

Edit: Or send the email first and go talk to your boss before he or her has the chance to read it.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
So, my Samsung Galaxy SIII. The power button stopped working several months ago. I don't have insurance or anything on the phone. The phone is about 1.5 years old. What would be the easiest/cheapest way to get this fixed? Are there places you can take any smartphone into and say "fix this broken button?" How much would something like that cost? I'm not willing to send it in anywhere.

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
Is there a Nintendo ID exchange thread?

I posted in one, but it wasn't very active. I got no ID's out of it, and no one responded when I asked if they played the games I was interested in. You might have better luck in the recommendation or Streetpass threads.

What's the cheapest and easiest type of smartphone to purchase? Like, do I have to sign up for a $70+ a month contract or is there a way to make calls over wi-fi or something?

You can pay $5 a month for WiFi only calls and texts here: https://republicwireless.com/plans

I use Ring Plus, and they're cheap. I pay $12 a month (after taxes) for 400 cellular minutes, 400 texts and 300MB of 3G data (I'm on WiFi most of the time, so I don't need much data).

Republic Wireless and Ring Plus are both Sprint MVNOs, so consider how well the Sprint network functions where you live. The cheapest non-MVNO plan, is T-Mobile's $30 5GB data plan with 100 minutes of talk, I think.

As for easiest smartphone, I don't know what you mean.

Two questions:

1 whats the name of the company thaat builds really small houses¿
2 is tweet a neogaf app?

1. It might be Tumbleweed Houses
2. ... Oh, there auto-corrected to tweet. No, there's no NeoGAF app. The mobile site is very good, so just use a web browser.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
what causes a fetus to become a boy or a girl? is a sperm or egg "male" or "female"? is there some randomization algorithm that gets called at a specific point in development? do we not know?

what causes a fetus to become a boy or a girl? is a sperm or egg "male" or "female"? is there some randomization algorithm that gets called at a specific point in development? do we not know?
The sperm determines the sex of the fertilized zygote. The female egg coming from an XX female will only carry an X chromosome following meiosis (cell division that gives us sex cells), whereas a male sperm cell from an XY male can generally carry either an X or a Y chromosome.

uberluigi

Banned
I been using Sikaflex construction sealant for a recent job in LA, and I have that shit all over my hands. Its been cured so goo gone or nail polish remover doesn't remove it, anyone else knows what I can use/do?

Cowie

I'm not even sure how to properly describe this question, so we'll see if I can get anywhere with it or not.

I find the replication of everyday sounds incredibly annoying when I hear it on a radio commercial. I've heard plenty of soda can pop-and-fizz in my day, but if I were to hear it as part of a Coca-Cola commercial on the radio, that sound (and the subsequent pouring of a liquid onto ice) are grating to me.

What is the effect/production/whatever that is being done to these sounds to make me hate them so? It feels as if they're trying too hard for sound clarity and failing because of it.

It's in the footsteps here, and then the opening sound following it (start at 45 seconds)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCKnN01fp3k&t=45s

I'm not even sure how to properly describe this question, so we'll see if I can get anywhere with it or not.

I find the replication of everyday sounds incredibly annoying when I hear it on a radio commercial. I've heard plenty of soda can pop-and-fizz in my day, but if I were to hear it as part of a Coca-Cola commercial on the radio, that sound (and the subsequent pouring of a liquid onto ice) are grating to me.

What is the effect/production/whatever that is being done to these sounds to make me hate them so? It feels as if they're trying too hard for sound clarity and failing because of it.

It's in the footsteps here, and then the opening sound following it (start at 45 seconds)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCKnN01fp3k&t=45s

Ha I'm the same way, there was an ad for some nasty bottled pancake batter a while back and the sound of the 'mom' shaking it straight up made me want to barf and punch things.

Cowie, it might be that they're using dynamic range compression in those commercials so all of the sounds, even what should be quieter ones, are amped up and louder. People have been complaining about DRC in pop music for some years now.

Is dynamic range compression destroying music?

To the casual listener compression can sound "good," mostly because it makes the music seem louder and punchier, and once music's natural soft-loud dynamic shifts are squashed flat music is easier to hear in noisy environments like cars or over iPods. Compression reduces the need to adjust playback volume--because it's always nearly the same volume--loud.

Cowie

The production technique for those sounds is Foley work. Maybe some specific variety of it stands out to you?

Thanks! I'm always woefully ignorant of terms like this, which makes explaining what I'm talking about almost impossible (as seen above.) It took me forever to figure out what a clapperboard was called.

Cowie, it might be that they're using dynamic range compression in those commercials so all of the sounds, even what should be quieter ones, are amped up and louder. People have been complaining about DRC in pop music for some years now.

Is dynamic range compression destroying music?

Ah, this makes a good bit of sense. The high intensity of sounds that shouldn't be loud is probably what gets me. Cheers!

Santiako

Is there any music player for windows that won't automatically organise my music? I mean, that it lets me just use the folders I have instead of separating them by artist, album, etc

FillerB

Is there any music player for windows that won't automatically organise my music? I mean, that it lets me just use the folders I have instead of separating them by artist, album, etc

Foobar2000's library view can be put in folder structure view.

finowns

Is there a convenient website that shows all the commodities bought and sold for a specific year? I'm interested to know how much O2 and H2 were sold.

Still a junior who can't create a thread, so I thought this thread was the best platform to vent/ask a question. Is it reasonable for me to be annoyed in the following scenario:

I am subleasing a house in Denver for the summer from a newlywed couple–3 bedroom home all to myself. I don't know these people at all, but they are friends of a friend of a friend. As a part of the sublease, my sublessors stipulated 3 things: (1) they were considering renting out one of the bedrooms on airBnB (2) for one weekend this summer, they had family staying in town, so I would have to vacate for that weekend and (3) they said the following verbatim (and this part is key): "since we won't be here for the summer, we will need you to cut the grass. It's not that hard it only takes about 15 or 20 minutes. You will probably only need to cut it once this summer."

Those conditions all seemed reasonable to me, so I gladly accepted. A week into the sublease they told me that they weren't going to rent out any of the other bedrooms on airbnb because it was too much of a hassle. That took care of condition #1. Soon thereafter, they informed me that week 4 would be the week that I would need to vacate. I set up a camping trip that weekend, and everything worked out great. That took care of condition #2. When I returned from camping on Sunday, I decided week #4 would be a good week to mow the lawn since it was getting high. I mowed the lawn and everything was hunky-dory (even if it was a 90 min job, not a 15 min job). That took care of condition #3.

Let's fast forward to week #8. I receive a text message on Wednesday saying: "Hey! Sorry for the late notice but my parents are coming into town and sleeping over on Thursday and Friday. Don't worry about doing anything, they will sleep in the room upstairs." I was a little bit annoyed that I had to share the house with these parents last minute. I would have definitely appreciated more than a 1 day heads-up, but it wasn't a big deal since I didn't have any plans to have people over those nights. I had also accepted the sublease knowing there was a possibility that I would be sharing the house with airbnb-ers, so I never had much expectation of privacy. Still, I didn't want these parents to come home to a messy house so I made it a point to make sure to clean up. I'm interning at a big law firm and had to work late Wednesday and didn't' have time to clean at all. Instead, I woke up at 5 AM Thursday morning and spent 3 hours cleaning the house, and making it appear immaculate–washing all of the dishes, vaccuuming, sweeping, cleaning the floors, scrubbing the countertops...the works.

Regretfully, I had no time to mow the lawn. I had been meaning to mow it since it had been 4 weeks since I last mowed it, and the grass was getting tall. I pushed it off for 3 reasons: (1) my sublessors only mentioned mowing the lawn once, and I figured anything outside of that would just be me going above and beyond; (2) I had been busy with work the last two weeks and had been traveling for the weekends; and finally, (3) I figured there was no rush to do it since my sublessors were not returning for another 2 weeks.

On that Thursday afternoon while I was at work, the parents went to the house and settled in. A few hours later, I receive a passive aggressive voicemail from the sublessor saying, "we agreed that you would take care of the house. My parents came in town, and I get a phone call saying that the grass is out of control and weeds are overtaking the backyard! Not cool man! Please take care of that now."

This frustrated me a lot. I was very cordial in my response, basically apologizing for not getting around to it for the second time, and promised to mow the lawn ASAP. Nevertheless, I was really annoyed. First, my sublessors never mentioned picking weeds this summer. Second they gave me no time to prepare the house for visitors. Third, I have been a great a tenant for the entire tenancy and worked damn hard to make the house cleaner than it was when I actually moved in; it was annoying to have the parents not notice any of that and just rat me out for the backyard that is (a) not actually that bad and (b) fenced off and not visible to the public.

Would anyone else be annoyed in these circumstances or would you side with the sublessors and think leaving an angry voicemail would be appropriate?

Thanks in advance for either validating or invalidating my frustration, GAF!

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I'm using Chrome, and whenever I click in a search bar and begin to type, I get suggestions on what to search for based on things I have searched for in the past, and some of these suggestions are...not things I want other people to see (using family computer atm...XD), but I can't figure out how to get rid of these suggestions. Can anyone help?

FillerB

I'm using Chrome, and whenever I click in a search bar and begin to type, I get suggestions on what to search for based on things I have searched for in the past, and some of these suggestions are...not things I want other people to see (using family computer atm...XD), but I can't figure out how to get rid of these suggestions. Can anyone help?

Sounds like you want to disable/delete stuff from your Google search history.

https://support.google.com/websearch/answer/465

All of a sudden in the past month or so I've been seeing mack trucks with attachments hanging off the back that looks like the top of a chinese delivery food box. Whats up with that? Some kind of wind foil or something?

Has anybody ever somehow accidentally sent a screen dump on Facebook chat/messenger on Google Chrome?

I sent a YouTube link (at a specified time) to somebody, and 10 hours later when I checked their response, I found two screendumps had been sent before and after the link, of my Incognito window from several days ago.

Anybody know what happened?

BlazeDSM

Does anyone know howvto identify a certain type of glasses if they just saw an image of it? Ill get a picture of it in about an hour or so. Thanks!

Are we 100% related to our parents or is it a lower percentage? iirc from school we receive 50% of each parents genetic make up so wouldn't that mean were not fully related?

Martian

Are we 100% related to our parents or is it a lower percentage? iirc from school we receive 50% of each parents genetic make up so wouldn't that mean were not fully related?

Well, you are 50% related to your father and 50% related to your mother. That makes you 100% related to your parents (as there is 0% DNA coming from another source).
Simplified: your father has 2 chromosomes, of which he gives you one. So does your mother. You get 50% of your DNA from your father and 50% DNA from your mother

Hope that answers your question.

(technically there are a few mutations that occur after you are conceived, so that would make you 99,9999999% related)

Well, you are 50% related to your father and 50% related to your mother. That makes you 100% related to your parents (as there is 0% DNA coming from another source).
Simplified: your father has 2 chromosomes, of which he gives you one. So does your mother. You get 50% of your DNA from your father and 50% DNA from your mother

Hope that answers your question.

(technically there are a few mutations that occur after you are conceived, so that would make you 99,9999999% related)
Not really, but the detail helped to elaborate what I was trying to say. From what your telling me, it sounds like we're 100% related to both parents. But my question is are we 100% related to a single parent.

Martian

Not really, but the detail helped to elaborate what I was trying to say. From what your telling me, it sounds like we're 100% related to both parents. But my question is are we 100% related to a single parent.

I'll try to explain your last part, but if its not what you would like to ask, let me know.

So lets say all of your father's DNA can be stored into 2 chromosomes (simplified for the sake of this explanation). Those 2 chromosomes actually carry the same information (both carry information of the colour of your hair, eyes etc.)

Those two chromosome balance each other out, so lets say chromosome A carries information for red hair, and chromosome B carries information for brown hair. The "strongest" (or dominant) chromosome will determine which colour your fathers' hair will be.

Your mother also has 2 chromosomes (both also carrying 2 types of information/hair colour etc.). Lets call them chromosome X and Z.

When information carries over from your parents to you, the body randomly selects one of the 2 chromosomes. Lets say you get chromosome A from your father and chromosome X from your mother. You still only have 2 chromosomes, as you don't get both of your fathers chromosomes or both of your mothers (you only get one of each).

So you consist of chromosome A of your father (or 50% of his DNA) and chromosome X of your mother (or 50% of her DNA). Your chromosome A is exactly the same as chromosome A of your father (and your X is the same as your mothers' X chromosomes).

So 50% of your DNA is exactly the same as your fathers, and the other 50% is the same as your mothers DNA.

Hope that answers your question!

I'll try to explain your last part, but if its not what you would like to ask, let me know.

So lets say all of your father's DNA can be stored into 2 chromosomes (simplified for the sake of this explanation). Those 2 chromosomes actually carry the same information (both carry information of the colour of your hair, eyes etc.)

Those two chromosome balance each other out, so lets say chromosome A carries information for red hair, and chromosome B carries information for brown hair. The "strongest" (or dominant) chromosome will determine which colour your fathers' hair will be.

Your mother also has 2 chromosomes (both also carrying 2 types of information/hair colour etc.). Lets call them chromosome X and Z.

When information carries over from your parents to you, the body randomly selects one of the 2 chromosomes. Lets say you get chromosome A from your father and chromosome X from your mother. You still only have 2 chromosomes, as you don't get both of your fathers chromosomes or both of your mothers (you only get one of each).

So you consist of chromosome A of your father (or 50% of his DNA) and chromosome X of your mother (or 50% of her DNA). Your chromosome A is exactly the same as chromosome A of your father (and your X is the same as your mothers' X chromosomes).

So 50% of your DNA is exactly the same as your fathers, and the other 50% is the same as your mothers DNA.

Hope that answers your question!
Yup that answered, I was thinking it wasn't all of their DNA just half. Thanks:D

Any idea why my itunes isn't downloading podcasts anymore but is instead showing me podcast episodes and linking to them via a url .. almost like an rss feed?

Ahasverus

Hey guys how the hell do you do this symbol: ♡ without copying/pasting? My bf keeps taunting me because he can't do it (from his cellphone and all) and I can't! I've tried ascii and there is no alt+number combination for it, I'm so mad hahaha.

Vert boil

Hey guys how the hell do you do this symbol: ♡ without copying/pasting? My bf keeps taunting me because he can't do it (from his cellphone and all) and I can't! I've tried ascii and there is no alt+number combination for it, I'm so mad hahaha.

& #9825; without the space.

Magnus

What is the likeliest culprit for audio stuttering on my PC?

I know it's not bandwidth-related. I just 'sextupled' my speed when switching to a new provider today and it's still happening.

It seems to happen with all types of multimedia playback, not just Netflix/stuff involving streaming. (like, it happens to the audio/music in WoW, which afaik, isn't streamed, but just playing music files on my HD that were part of the install).

Sound drivers for my card maybe?
It's a Creative SBI-something that my BF gave me. I have the latest.

Soo I hardly drink soda unless I'm with friends and while looking through our drink box I found three old Fanta bottles with a best before date till April 2014, would they still be fine to drink? I mean I really can't think of anything that can go bad with soda and they were never opened... Before anyone asks, yeah I can just go out and buy new ones but it's morbid curiosity :p

Soo I hardly drink soda unless I'm with friends and while looking through our drink box I found three old Fanta bottles with a best before date till April 2014, would they still be fine to drink? I mean I really can't think of anything that can go bad with soda and they were never opened... Before anyone asks, yeah I can just go out and buy new one but it's morbid curiosity :p

Expiry dates on non-dairy, non-meat items are famously conservative. Meaning you won't explode and die if you drink that Fanta. Drink up, Bor!

Toppot

Soo I hardly drink soda unless I'm with friends and while looking through our drink box I found three old Fanta bottles with a best before date till April 2014, would they still be fine to drink? I mean I really can't think of anything that can go bad with soda and they were never opened... Before anyone asks, yeah I can just go out and buy new ones but it's morbid curiosity :p

Well the natural fruit juice (5%) could go off. 3 months is personally too long for me, after a month I avoid. You would PROBABLY be ok, might taste a little off, but you are unlikely to have any adverse effects. I'd have 1 and give it a day, prepare for the worse (vomiting) that day just in case. If all is good, enjoy the other 2.

Don't wait 20 years though (NSFW)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom