• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stupid Questions |OT| of questions that don't deserve their own threads

Status
Not open for further replies.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
Is there a literary term or word in general for the..."idea" of you can't EVER and I mean EVER genuinely replicate human interaction in literature and in film?

Like you know how arguments and conversations in movies are dramatic and all that jazz? That rarely if EVER happens in real life, you know? People are shouting over each other, etc.

Same with dialogue in books. It always seems as if NO ONE stutters or loses their train of thought using "umm" and any other appropriate "pause" phrase and everyone says what they say perfectly without missing a beat. Unlike in real life, conversations are nothing like that. You always get an idea across using few words, sometimes you'll start a sentence and then indadvertedly cut off without saying the "rest".

You know what I'm trying to say?

I finished Vonnegut's "Mother Night" recently and I recall the main character saying 'umm' a lot. :)

Baconbitz

Banned
At night birds fly away to there nests. Though do they fly away at the same time? I was working outside the other night and I heard a few birds flying later then usual. They werent Ouls either.

B.K.

My parents have a Samsung surround sound system that has a built in Blu-Ray player. It's four or five years old and the Blu-Ray play is going bad. What do I do now? I don't know much about surround sound systems. Can I just get them a new Blu-Ray player and still use the old box for the surround sound?

t-ramp

My parents have a Samsung surround sound system that has a built in Blu-Ray player. It's four or five years old and the Blu-Ray play is going bad. What do I do now? I don't know much about surround sound systems. Can I just get them a new Blu-Ray player and still use the old box for the surround sound?
I would think so. Does the system have HDMI pass-through? I mean, as long as you hook the new player up to the TV somehow and route surround audio (through optical or HDMI pass-through) through the speakers, there shouldn't be any issue, I wouldn't think.

Zoe

I would think so. Does the system have HDMI pass-through? I mean, as long as you hook the new player up to the TV somehow and route surround audio (through optical or HDMI pass-through) through the speakers, there shouldn't be any issue, I wouldn't think.
The majority of TV's don't pass surround via HDMI.

t-ramp

The majority of TV's don't pass surround via HDMI.
Not the TV, the surround system... Run the new player's HDMI output through the surround system, and then HDMI output to the TV. That would take care of both audio and video. Otherwise, he could use HDMI directly to the TV for video and go with digital optical or coax to the surround system for audio.

Although there is ARC, which I don't really understand. I guess in theory it could work practically as a sort of passthrough, but I wasn't referring to anything like that.

Dereck

What is the device that allows me to connect for example

A XBOX, Wii, DVD player, and a Gamecube, using component cables, but it allows me to "switch" inbetween devices and consoles?

Mr. F

Banned
Are there any international alternatives to group-listening websites like turntable.fm? (specifically available to Canada, in my case)

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Does anyone know of an online or otherwise grammar editor?
not posting to Reddit :lol
I'm not very good with grammar things like commas, semicolons, colon, hypen and well pretty much everything but a period confuse me.

I need an editor. Please help me GAF.

Ashes

Banned
Does anyone know of an online or otherwise grammar editor?
not posting to Reddit :lol
I'm not very good with grammar things like commas, semicolons, colon, hypen and well pretty much everything but a period confuse me.

I need an editor. Please help me GAF.

Have you tried 'After the deadline'? it's a add on for firefox. I don't use it but I hear it's alright.

Just in case you are in the market for a good book, I recommend this book:

Grammar: a friendly approach.

I think this is my new favourite grammar book when it comes to recommendations.

Canuck76

Banned
I'm embarrassed here, but how do i use spoiler tags? Just use the quote or code feature to wrap that around the text and do /spoiler and /endspoiler or something?

Thanks

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
I'm embarrassed here, but how do i use spoiler tags? Just use the quote or code feature to wrap that around the text and do /spoiler and /endspoiler or something?

Thanks

Quote my post and look at the tags around "This is how"

This is how

Have you tried 'After the deadline'? it's a add on for firefox. I don't use it but I hear it's alright.

I don't use fire fox. Is there a website or program I can buy that does it?

Ashes

Banned

Thanks

[spoiler] spoiler goes here [/spoiler]

Quote my post and look at the tags around "This is how"

This is how

I don't use fire fox. Is there a website or program I can buy that does it?

Libre office (or open office). You can use 'after the deadline' with that. As does Chrome.

edit: And it's a stand alone now as well I think:

http://afterthedeadline.com/

Cyan

Banned

Thanks

Don't even be embarrassed, that's one of the most common questions in this thread (after "how long does it take to become a full member").

And yeah, Ashes has got you set.

Anyone else getting a shitload of "[Browser] prevented this site from opening a pop-up window" messages on GAF the last few hours?

I've not seen anything like this... malware?

Okay, I have never had an STD of any kind, me and my girlfriend are both clean and always have been, but yesterday I noticed my end being itchy and after inspecting it, it looks like it is a bit red and lightly speckled with pale white dirt or something. Is it possible it could be a candida infection even if my GF doesn't have thrush etc, and if so is there a cream or pill i should take.

I am going to the doctors on friday about something unrelated so if you think I should just whipping it out for them to see is better I will do that lol

mclem

Calling France-GAF!

How French is French Lego?

To elaborate: My (english-speaking) niece wants a Lego set for Christmas. However, it seems to be *incredibly* popular, which is why I'm looking internationally for anywhere that has it in stock for a sane price. Amazon France does, but I'm nervous whether the box/packaging/instructions would be prohibitively foreign.

Rapstah

Calling France-GAF!

How French is French Lego?

To elaborate: My (english-speaking) niece wants a Lego set for Christmas. However, it seems to be *incredibly* popular, which is why I'm looking internationally for anywhere that has it in stock for a sane price. Amazon France does, but I'm nervous whether the box/packaging/instructions would be prohibitively foreign.

It was like 15 years ago that I last got a LEGO set, but I can't remember there ever having been any text in any of their manuals ever. At least not in the instructions.

Ashes

Banned
Okay, I have never had an STD of any kind, me and my girlfriend are both clean and always have been, but yesterday I noticed my end being itchy and after inspecting it, it looks like it is a bit red and lightly speckled with pale white dirt or something. Is it possible it could be a candida infection even if my GF doesn't have thrush etc, and if so is there a cream or pill i should take.

I am going to the doctors on friday about something unrelated so if you think I should just whipping it out for them to see is better I will do that lol

Yes. Go speak to your doctor. If you are in the UK, you can go to your nearest GUM clinic, and they will see you that day - anonymously if you are embarrassed. In any other country, I presume, the equivalent would be called a Sexual Health Clinic, STD centre etc.

Oreoleo

Have you bothe been tested clean or are you just assuming you both are based on sexual history and lack and oozing sores or little white insects in your pubes? The are STD's/STI's that are symptomless in the opposite sex. Definitely whip it out and have a doctor look at it for you.

Hey guys I'm doing a research paper and I got a question to ask. We're supposed to write a research paper on violent crimes like robbery, rape/sexual assault etc. I chose robbery.

We're supposed to use UCR/FBI, NCVS and NCJRS websites to find information for the typical offender. These includes things like Race, Class, Gender and Age. Has the crime been increasing or decreasing?

I've been clicking around the website for about 15 mins and can't find the info I want. Can anybody help me? Thanks

Ashes

Banned
Hey guys I'm doing a research paper and I got a question to ask. We're supposed to write a research paper on violent crimes like robbery, rape/sexual assault etc. I chose robbery.

We're supposed to use UCR/FBI, NCVS and NCJRS websites to find information for the typical offender. These includes things like Race, Class, Gender and Age. Has the crime been increasing or decreasing?

I've been clicking around the website for about 15 mins and can't find the info I want. Can anybody help me? Thanks

What level paper is this at?

Are you looking for something like this? :

http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/ucr/ucr

What level paper is this at?

Are you looking for something like this? :

http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/ucr/ucr

Yeah I've been to that website, I was able to locate if the crime is decreasing of not. http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/ucr/crime-in-the-u.s/2011/crime-in-the-u.s.-2011/tables/table-1
But I can't find the type of people that commit the crimes i.e Race, Class, Gender, Age.

Its a 3000 level Sociology of Violence class if that's what you're asking.

I know teeth fillings can be sensitive to the cold weeks after the procedure. But is it normal to have a filling that is painful to the touch? Not any old touch, like poking it with my tongue, but when flossing or something pointy would touch it.

Oreoleo

I know teeth fillings can be sensitive to the cold weeks after the procedure. But is it normal to have a filling that is painful to the touch? Not any old touch, like poking it with my tongue, but when flossing or something pointy would touch it.

Filling, like from a cavity? I don't think that's normal, no. I had a partial crown put in after I lost a filling and cracked a tooth, the next day I was back to doing whatever. Doubt a simple filling should be that painful. Sounds like part of the nerve is still exposed perhaps.

Tough loss to West Ham the other day :/

ultron87

http://www.topstreetwear.com/se/jackor/kk-multi-pocket-parka-blue

This jacket has a hood, right? I can't tell with accuracy if it's just a massive collar or not. The info text doesn't say anything either (and other jackets with clearly visible hoods make a point of pointing it out).

This image shows one of the little elastic things that traditionally tightens a hood:

http://media.topstreetwear.com/cata...f78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/3/_/3_76_8.jpg

I wouldn't think that would be on there if it was for a big collar.

Minamu

Yeah, that's what I figured too. You never know with this store though :lol Lots of crazy clothes. I sent a mail to the support too. Thanks :)

bjork

Next year, Bo Jackson is doing an autograph signing near here. The rates were announced and they're only for flat items and sports-related items. But I want him to sign my arm so I can go get it tattooed on me.

I haven't been to an autograph signing since 1988, so I have no idea what is allowed and what isn't. Is this something I'd have to make a special request for, or just go up there and hope for the best?

Ashes

Banned
Next year, Bo Jackson is doing an autograph signing near here. The rates were announced and they're only for flat items and sports-related items. But I want him to sign my arm so I can go get it tattooed on me.

I haven't been to an autograph signing since 1988, so I have no idea what is allowed and what isn't. Is this something I'd have to make a special request for, or just go up there and hope for the best?

Try and ask him on twitter:

https://twitter.com/BoJackson

Zoe

What's that disease where the test is to inject a bubble in your skin and to look for a reaction?

(may not be remembering it correctly)

http://www.topstreetwear.com/se/jackor/kk-multi-pocket-parka-blue

This jacket has a hood, right? I can't tell with accuracy if it's just a massive collar or not. The info text doesn't say anything either (and other jackets with clearly visible hoods make a point of pointing it out).

It absolutely has a hood. Third image down, the back view, that's definitely a hood. Plus, the draw string ultron87 mentioned.

What's that disease where the test is to inject a bubble in your skin and to look for a reaction?

(may not be remembering it correctly)
Tuberculosis. They measure the size of the swelling to determine a positive or negative.

popeutlal

Question: is there a way to convert Best Buy store credit for real money? I have a $500 site credit and want to buy a tablet, Nexus 10 or Acer W510...but they don't sell either.

The store credit is completely useless for me.

Lirlond

Question: is there a way to convert Best Buy store credit for real money? I have a $500 site credit and want to buy a tablet, Nexus 10 or Acer W510...but they don't sell either.

The store credit is completely useless for me.

Nope, this is so returns don't actually lose them money. If they gave you money for credit they'd have no incentive to offer gift returns and so on.

Anybody know how to get one dog to stop attacking another??

i have 2 small dogs and every now and then without warning the slightly bigger one will attack the other. sometimes i see it coming cause the bigger one will obviously look like its pissed and stand close but sometimes he will just attack.. the smaller one never fights back

Is he just a douche or is there something to this??

Dog GAf please help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom