• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stupid Questions |OT| of questions that don't deserve their own threads

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cyan

Banned
They say there's no such thing as a stupid question, but I think we all know that's bullshit. So here we go.

This thread is for when you want to know the answer to something, but don't want to make a whole individual thread for it. Or can't make a thread. Or don't want to get roundly mocked.

No question too small! Or too dumb!

Here's a question to get us started:
Why is it that the forum can't handle threads of more than 20k posts? Is this a vbulletin thing, that would be an issue for any forum using it?

slider

Isn't there a thread like this OP? Er, I guess you wouldn't know.

Maybe it's got too unwieldy though.

EDIT: Whoops, reading comprehension ftw.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
So my roommate has XP and I have Windows 7. I shared some folders on his comp and I can access them through mine, it's super easy, there's a "network shared folders" thingie on the left side of windows explorer where I can see his shared folders.

When I get on his computer, I don't know how to access the shared folders on my computer, so he can grab my files. How do I do this in XP?

Also, am I at any risk for people outside the network being able to access my files? network is password protected.

Thanks, Ted.

Cyan

Banned
I think the 20k limit is just to keep the archives more manageable.
Ah, so it's not a hard limit? I'd kind of wondered what would happen if we actually went over. Guess it won't blow up the forums after all. Slightly... disappointing?

Isn't there a thread like this OP? Er, I guess you wouldn't know.

Maybe it's got too unwieldy though.

EDIT: Whoops, reading comprehension ftw.

;)

Cyan, how are we going to make next year's Nanowrimo even more awesome? I know this isn't a stupid question but it is a simple one. :)

Jzero

So my roommate has XP and I have Windows 7. I shared some folders on his comp and I can access them through mine, it's super easy, there's a "network shared folders" thingie on the left side of windows explorer where I can see his shared folders.

When I get on his computer, I don't know how to access the shared folders on my computer, so he can grab my files. How do I do this in XP?

Also, am I at any risk for people outside the network being able to access my files? network is password protected.

Thanks, Ted.

if it's password protected you shouldn't worry too much.

Oreoleo

Ah, so it's not a hard limit? I'd kind of wondered what would happen if we actually went over. Guess it won't blow up the forums after all. Slightly... disappointing?

It's just a drain on server resources by my understanding. It's a relatively new rule, too, as there are quite a few old threads that went way, WAY over the 20k limit.

Cyan

Banned
Cyan, how are we going to make next year's Nanowrimo even more awesome? I know this isn't a stupid question but it is a simple one. :)

Even more participants!

Really, I feel like it does keep getting awesomer every year, and I think it's because we keep getting more people. Which makes it more fun!

AlexMogil

I asked this last time. What kind of comics are sold in comic book universes? Just look up at the sky, there's awesome shit happening!

Or are they just biographical?

ultron87

I asked this last time. What kind of comics are sold in comic book universes? Just look up at the sky, there's awesome shit happening!

Or are they just biographical?

In Watchmen there is a pirate comic that one kid is always reading. So extrapolating from that, there aren't super hero comics (since that is real life), but other genres.

GavinGT

Banned
I have the AppSwitcher extension installed on my iPad for multitasking, but it bugs me to hell that I can't close out of the app that's currently being displayed. I have to switch to another app or go to the home screen before I can close it, whereas with any background app I can just click the "x" button in the pop-out menu.

Anyone have a solution?

How do you accomplish a mid-air rescue of a person who has fallen out of a plane without a parachute while you have a parachute? I assume you keep your body entirely straight to reduce drag and try to catch up, but what do you do when (if?) you reach them?

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
How do you accomplish a mid-air rescue of a person who has fallen out of a plane without a parachute while you have a parachute? I assume you keep your body entirely straight to reduce drag and try to catch up, but what do you do when (if?) you reach them?

I would imagine you'd just hold on to the person (you're not falling faster with two persons after all). Then, you'd probably try to use your combined air resistance as much as possible to slow down more than you'd be able to alone. And open the chute earlier.

I would imagine you'd just hold on to the person (you're not falling faster with two persons after all). Then, you'd probably try to use your combined air resistance as much as possible to slow down more than you'd be able to alone. And open the chute earlier.

Ok, but I was worried that if the person is holding on to you, and you open the parachute, the resistance will jerk you back and the person would fly off... again. If you hold on to them, is pulling the cord a problem or is it difficult? I'm not a physicist or parachutist, I'm just curious.

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
Why do I always watch the Youtube of some immense pimple/blackhead getting popped?

I don't go looking for it, but if someone sends me a link. I'll always watch.

Cyan

Banned
Ok, but I was worried that if the person is holding on to you, and you open the parachute, the resistance will jerk you back and the person would fly off... again. If you hold on to them, is pulling the cord a problem or is it difficult? I'm not a physicist or parachutist, I'm just curious.

Yeah, I'm kind of thinking that too.

Maybe you'd have them stick their arms through your harness or something? Can't imagine it'd be very comfortable, but if it saved your life...

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole

Yeah, makes sense that it would be hard for the person to hold on to you. That's why you have to hold on really tight, I guess. But it would be really dangerous of course because the weight of two persons would have to be transferred through the back of the guy who has the chute. That could probably break your spine in the worst case scenario. So I don't know. Guess you'll have to try it out.

esquire

Has waited diligently to think of something to say before making this post
What do you guys think Val Kilmer does on a Monday afternoon? What do you think he would be doing right now?

Rapstah

Plenty of threads go over by a couple of hundred or even thousand before they're noticed and locked. I think the software has a bug around 32 000, but that's not the hard limit, which could be at the typical 65 536 (or within one of that) depending on the database software.

Yeah, makes sense that it would be hard for the person to hold on to you. That's why you have to hold on really tight, I guess. But it would be really dangerous of course because the weight of two persons would have to be transferred through the back of the guy who has the chute. That could probably break your spine in the worst case scenario. So I don't know. Guess you'll have to try it out.

That's what I imagined, there would definitely be severe injury if the parachute just pulled out and immediately "braked" the two. Parachute would be independent, right? So you can hold on to the person who fell without having to hold on to the parachute wires/the thing you use to control it. Though I imagine that parachutes don't really immediately break, but gradually slow down, otherwise there would be a higher rate of people injuries from the deceleration.

Now, gun fights while free-falling... that'd be nutty. Hard to pull off.

ameratsu

Why is there such a large disparity between the number of male and female votes on sites like IMDB? Every movie I've looked at easily had more male votes, and many documentaries had 4:1 or even 16:1 ratios between male and female votes. Why is the discrepancy so large?

The best I can come up with is that there are significantly more male members on sites like IMDB. But if that's the case, why?

I googled this and all I found was people looking at which movies had the biggest differences in ratings between sexes, which is a lot less interesting.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
Wouldn't you (or the gun) fly back with the same force as the bullet flying forward?
Well, I would think that since you would probably fire your gun off your center of mass, you'd go into a crazy spin, starting at your hands, and so would the bullet. As for the force, the explosion would still have to accelerate more mass with you than it would have to with the bullet, so the bullet vector would still be much longer than the body vector.

But then again, explosions behave differently in space, what with no air being around and all. So in my mind, there are lots of unknown factors.

We got into the arguing about the details of explosions in space, of course.

Nothing would happen since the gun powder requires oxygen to ignite.

Well, that goes without saying. I thought we were running with the assumption that the gun is being fired in an enclosed space, like in a shuttle or space station, where there is oxygen, but no gravity.

jchap

Well, that goes without saying. I thought we were running with the assumption that the gun is being fired in an enclosed space, like in a shuttle or space station, where there is oxygen, but no gravity.

Bullet makes a hole in enclosed space and decompression kills all aboard. You would spin as you died.

YoungHav

Banned
It is cold and I am too lazy to get condoms. Had an accident on Saturday night (condom ripped during sex, didn't realize until after the fact), and my gf hasn't taken Plan B yet. Should we just go raw tonight and take Plan B tomorrow. Will that prevent both potential pregnancies?

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
Nothing would happen since the gun powder requires oxygen to ignite.

There is oxygen in the bullet, and that suffices for ignition. It would actually fire without external oxygen!

Edit: Heat or coldness could pose a problem though. It could be too cold for the bullet to ignite properly, or the heat of the gun could prematurely ignite the bullet.

DMeisterJ

Banned
It is cold and I am too lazy to get condoms. Had an accident on Saturday night (condom ripped during sex, didn't realize until after the fact), and my gf hasn't taken Plan B yet. Should we just go raw tonight and take Plan B tomorrow. Will that prevent both potential pregnancies?

Your GF can get pregnant up to 4 days after sex, but it doesn't mean that it takes all the way until the fourth day. She could be pregnant right now, or get pregnant sometime tomrorrow. Go rush to get a Plan B Pill right now since it's only for up to 3 days apparently. And just jerk it or get a bj tonight if you need to get off.

Go get it right the fuck now. Don't get any knock off brands either. You willing to serve 18-life because it's chilly outside?

--------

My question:

How much penis, is too much penis?

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
I want something to plug my headphones in to my computer that has as low noise as possible and has a volume knob.

The cheaper the better. I have horrible ears, so as long as there is no hiss, and it isn't horrible quality, I won't tell the difference between mediocre and awesome quality. An audiophile I am not.

For instance, I can't really tell the difference between my Sony MDRV6, Grado SR80, and Sennheiser CX200. That bad of ears.

I'm a virgin, and even I know it's retarded to wait just cause you're cold and lazy.

Kids are awesome, so ride it out and see what happens. Not pregnant? Fine. Pregnant? Parent time!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom