• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stupid Questions |OT| of questions that don't deserve their own threads

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashes

Banned
There we go! All right, that's all of em. :)

And before anyone asks, the rest:

Spoiler:
1. sand box
2. man overboard
3. I understand
4. Reading between the lines
5. Long under wear
6. Crossroads
7. Downtown
8. tricycle
9. Split level
10. 3 degrees below zero
11. neon light
12. circles under the eyes
13. high chair
14. paradise
15. Touch down
16. six feet under ground
17. mind over matter.
18. He's beside himself
19. Backwards glance
20. Life after death

Edit: Sixes and sevens is a british idiom so I'll go with Cyan on that one, thus it's probably paradise.*

*edit: It is. Googled it now.

For some reason my keyboard is messed up, mostly when it comes to inserting symbols. For example, when I try to insert an apostrophe, { comes up instead. Shift 9, which should be open parenthesis, is ) instead. This happens for multiple keys. Any idea of how to fix this_

Wow, question marks dont come up, either.

Ashes

Banned
For some reason my keyboard is messed up, mostly when it comes to inserting symbols. For example, when I try to insert an apostrophe, { comes up instead. Shift 9, which should be open parenthesis, is ) instead. This happens for multiple keys. Any idea of how to fix this_

Wow, question marks dont come up, either.

Wireless keyboard?

Change the batteries.

Rapstah

No, it is a laptop keyboard. Its as if someone switched around the keys or something. Very strange.

Your keyboard has switched locales, you're currently typing on another region's setup. I know the issue exactly because World of Warcraft had this bug years ago where it would occasionally reset your keyboard to what I think is the US layout. All my question marks would be _. If restarting your computer won't help, there's probably something in your operating system's settings that's really basic for resetting it.

Oreoleo

Your keyboard has switched locales, you're currently typing on another region's setup. I know the issue exactly because World of Warcraft had this bug years ago where it would occasionally reset your keyboard to what I think is the US layout. All my question marks would be _. If restarting your computer won't help, there's probably something in your operating system's settings that's really basic for resetting it.

If that's really what it is, there's a "languages" section in Control Panel to set that stuff up for your keyboard. I believe windows key + space cycles through available keyboard layouts if more than one is set to active.

Yep, restarting the computer fixed the problem. I guess that should've been the first thing I tried ;)

Thanks!

Ashes

Banned
I think there's something wrong with spoiler tags and neogaf on opera. They all show up without me having to select them. What have I done? How do I undo this?

edit: Never mind. It fixed itself. No idea wth happened.

Shinobix

Stupid question: YouTube has been loading extremely slow as of 2 weeks ago and it's annoying as hell. I already installed Chrome (previously using Firefox), updated Flash player, cleared my cache and it's still slow. Everything else is working just fine, other buffering sites load videos perfectly. What could be causing this?

Thanks in advance.

So I was doing some press ups, and something behind my chest cracked and now the area behind my heart is in total agony if I move, especially if I try to look around/over my shoulder. Wtf have I done? Thanks

Anybody? No?

Got another question today. Annual bills/utilities, I don't have gas at my place, only electricity, so my total energy consumed the last year is 2182 kWh, is that a lot? I live by myself in a 1 bedroom apartment. Thanks!

Anybody? No?

Got another question today. Annual bills/utilities, I don't have gas at my place, only electricity, so my total energy consumed the last year is 2182 kWh, is that a lot? I live by myself in a 1 bedroom apartment. Thanks!
Nope, that seems about right if you have some electronics running.

Are you sure the pain is from behind your heart and not from your intercostal muscles?

If the pain persists you might want to go see a doctor. If you look at the anatomy there aren't many things you can strain behind the heart. There is the windpipe, the esophagus and the spine.

ipHcbkmDlFaqL.jpg

(Top view of the chest. You have the heart in the middle.)

Could someone point me out to a Guide to Root my Motorola Razr ? I'm living in China and I can't access Google Play but I'm trying to learn the basics.

Please :(

Thanks

(I'm already in Xda but if there is a Rooting 101 or so I'll be thankful)

accx

-NVM- First question was obviously retarded.

Can i share a list of what music i have available in a music thread (like just creating a .txt file and putting it on pastebin), so that other users could check it out and see if they're missing anything?
Would it be better to add links to the albums in the text file so users know where to buy it from?

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Looking for a program that will let me "print screen" multiple screenshots to my clipboard to be pasted and saved later. Or some program that just automatically makes a .jpg every time I hit the print screen key.

t-ramp

Looking for a program that will let me "print screen" multiple screenshots to my clipboard to be pasted and saved later. Or some program that just automatically makes a .jpg every time I hit the print screen key.
For games or the desktop? Does it have to be .jpg? FRAPS is an easy-to-use program for screenshots, but the free version only does bitmap files.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
For games or the desktop? Does it have to be .jpg? FRAPS is an easy-to-use program for screenshots, but the free version only does bitmap files.

For in-game. I will check out fraps, I can convert a bmp no prob, thanks!

ultron87

Chrome seems to be showing a lot more broken images in the last few days (as in the image doesn't display at all, not the gif thing), anyone else experiencing this?

Flash

really didn't want to make a thread, so was hoping somebody could help me out (or direct me to another thread where someone could help me).

I've heard this rendition of Killing Me Softly once but I was wondering who composed it? Any way I could get it on an official CD somehow?

Any help would be very much appreciated! thanks!

Nugg

Hey everyone!

I'm ashamed to admit that I'm 32, and I've never seen Blader Runner. But I plan to correct this mistake very soon. I got the 30th anniversary blu ray. But now I'm confused: there are four different versions of the movie! Which one am I supposed to watch? How different are they? Is there a definitive one?

LiQuid!

Hey everyone!

I'm ashamed to admit that I'm 32, and I've never seen Blader Runner. But I plan to correct this mistake very soon. I got the 30th anniversary blu ray. But now I'm confused: there are four different versions of the movie! Which one am I supposed to watch? How different are they? Is there a definitive one?

If you hear any Harrison Ford voice over narration ABORT, RETRY, FAIL. Otherwise go for broke! The 2007 "Final Cut" is the definitive version.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Versions_of_Blade_Runner#The_Final_Cut_.282007.29

I wish I could see it for the first time again. The visuals of flying through the city with the Vangelis music. I get chills just thinking about it. I wonder what it was like seeing it for the first time on the big screen when it originally came out?

Dwayne

Every so often i'll post a reply to an image or comment on a page that I've liked, and somehow or another, my friends, who have not liked this page and have nothing to do with any of it, will post reply a reply, presumably because my recent activity has been posted to their feed. Is there any way to block that from happening? It's really annoying.

t-ramp

Anybody know what the markings "STY" and "STB" mean on a PCB next to a wire connection? The others are various voltages and ground, but one wire has those two markings at its ends. It's a Blu-ray player that I'm trying to hook up to a computer power supply since the power circuit board in it is shot.

Edit: The player starts cold but won't come back on after I power if off, so it's probably for "standby" I think. Anybody know what voltage should be provided for a standby mode? Not a big deal, I think I can live with how it is.

Regarding the cell cycle: is mitotic cyclin degraded in m-phase? Can't find shit for the life of me.

Cyclins
Cyclins are named such because they undergo a constant cycle of synthesis and degradation during cell division. When cyclins are synthesized, they act as an activating protein and bind to Cdks forming a cyclin-Cdk complex. This complex then acts as a signal to the cell to pass to the next cell cycle phase. Eventually, the cyclin degrades, deactivating the Cdk, thus signaling exit from a particular phase. There are two classes of cyclins: mitotic cyclins and G1 cyclins.

G1 cyclins
G1 cyclins bind to Cdk proteins during G1. Once bound and activated, the Cdk signals the cell's exit from G1 and entry into S phase. When the cell reaches an appropriate size and the cellular environment is correct for DNA replication, the cyclins begin to degrade. G1 cyclin degradation deactivates the Cdk and leads to entry into S phase.

Mitotic Cyclins
Mitotic cyclins accumulate gradually during G2. Once they reach a high enough concentration, they can bind to Cdks. When mitotic cyclins bind to Cdks in G2, the resulting complex is known as Mitosis-promoting factor (MPF). This complex acts as the signal for the G2 cell to enter mitosis. Once the mitotic cyclin degrades, MPF is inactivated and the cell exits mitosis by dividing and re- entering G1. The cellular signals that we described earlier (cell size, completion of DNA replication, and cellular environment) provide the signals that regulate the synthesis and degradation of cyclins.
http://www.sparknotes.com/biology/cellreproduction/cellcycle/section3.rhtml

More in-depth: http://genesdev.cshlp.org/content/12/10/1495.long and http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2754242/

If you can get the game to run with steam overlay, steam can do this by default. Just add the .exe manually to your steam library, though the overlay doesn't play nice with older games or ones that use launchers (in the latter case you'll need to set some more complicated launch parameters)

I don't think there are any long-tern studies showing the effects of high gravity environments in humans. It's for instance possible that fetal development would fail if the gravitational conditions were much different from what we're used to.

Baconbitz

Banned
On the shuffle what does the play in order button really mean? I set it to play in order in iTunes but when I go to play it the first song in the playlist doesn't play.

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
Is there a proper name for the logical fallacy whereby someone will attempt to shoot down an argument without addressing it by saying "aren't there more important things to worry about?"

Cyan

Banned
Diversion? Red herring? I don't think there's really an official name for it. It's more of a distraction technique than a logical fallacy.

Is there a literary term or word in general for the..."idea" of you can't EVER and I mean EVER genuinely replicate human interaction in literature and in film?

Like you know how arguments and conversations in movies are dramatic and all that jazz? That rarely if EVER happens in real life, you know? People are shouting over each other, etc.

Same with dialogue in books. It always seems as if NO ONE stutters or loses their train of thought using "umm" and any other appropriate "pause" phrase and everyone says what they say perfectly without missing a beat. Unlike in real life, conversations are nothing like that. You always get an idea across using few words, sometimes you'll start a sentence and then indadvertedly cut off without saying the "rest".

You know what I'm trying to say?

Cyan

Banned
Dramatic license, maybe?

I'm pretty sure it's actually been done, though. It's just boring to read, so most writers don't do it that way.

Ashes

Banned
Is there a literary term or word in general for the..."idea" of you can't EVER and I mean EVER genuinely replicate human interaction in literature and in film?

Like you know how arguments and conversations in movies are dramatic and all that jazz? That rarely if EVER happens in real life, you know? People are shouting over each other, etc.

Same with dialogue in books. It always seems as if NO ONE stutters or loses their train of thought using "umm" and any other appropriate "pause" phrase and everyone says what they say perfectly without missing a beat. Unlike in real life, conversations are nothing like that. You always get an idea across using few words, sometimes you'll start a sentence and then indadvertedly cut off without saying the "rest".

You know what I'm trying to say?

You never heard of Woody Allen?

Novelists on the main want to be understood. And clarity comes from using the most popular dialect, i.e. standard written English.

Writers do rebel against this notion, and use conversation, rather than dialogue, but I think unless you are writing with the literati in mind, one would be compelled to have distilled speech as much as one would like errors removed from sentences.

I would add that literature has struggled with the notion of realism in a lot of respects but literature has also taken massive strides even to the detriment of the audience. Take the example of a dense stream of consciousness narrative mode in To the Lighthouse, a 1927 novel by Virginia Woolf. It's er, very difficult to read and take in. Shall we say. er. Yeah.

tldr: Short answer: No, I don't think so. Wait for a linquistics major.

I just bought a new receiver and I'm having difficulties setting it up.

I have my PC connected to an Onkyo (TX-NR414) receiver through HDMI, which is then connected to a Samsung TV through HDMI as well. Video works fine, but I'm struggling to get audio. I eventually managed to get audio through by turning off HDMI Control and turning Audio Pass-through from Auto to On, but that means I can't actual change the volume through the receiver itself. I don't want it to just pass the signal through. Help? :(

EDIT: Plugging in headphones into my receiver gave me an audio output with receiver-manipulable volume. Huh. Would be nice if it could do the same to the audio output out of my TV/every output.

i-Lo

The new Youtube UI on chrome: While watching vids, the player is not in centre any more with default or 100% zoom scale for the entire page. Is this endemic to chrome only atm and is there a fix for it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom