• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Suicide Squad Achieves $260M+ WW & Rotten Tomato Score of 26%

Status
Not open for further replies.
Saw it yesterday. It was terrible but still, somehow, strangely fun at times.

But really, plot holes everywhere coupled with myopic studio interference that just ruins the whole point.

If DC wanted to succeed, they'd put whoever runs the animated department in charge of the live action films. Now those, well most of them, are actually worth watching. Batman: Assault on Arkham did it right.
I think assault on Arkham had some good ideas but I don't think it's something that translate entirely well to live action. I'd like to see them take the framework of that with the current cast and maybe Killer Frost and do something with it.

Lombaszko

Honestly it looks like DC is willing to try to fix their movies and do better in the future so I'm happy this is doing well along with getting critically panned. Because it means that they have a reason to make a sequel but also make a better sequel. Obviously the reviews hurt them which is why we got what we did, the issue is what lessons they learn from the mistakes they make and unfortunately this time they happened to learn the wrong lessons. Of you choose not to watch their future output more power to you, but burning everything down and starting over isn't going to help, it'll just leave people disinterested. And honestly the DCCU has many great things and ideas that I really enjoy, sometimes they're just mishandled and a lot of that has to do with the studio.

That's what is great about Geoff Johns and gives me hope about DC's direction. He knows how to take something that's not quite working and tweak it, while including the current things that are working and also combining the classic elements. Hopefully what he's done in the comics can transition to the films.

Sanctuary

The movie isn't terrible, but it isn't good either. It's somewhere between Batman returns and Batman forever

You know that movie would have actually been superb if not for Penguin. He just drags the entire affair down, into the gutters where he belongs.

krang

I can safely dismiss anyone who expresses this opinion. Pacific Rim does almost nothing wrong on a technical or narrative level. In fact, the central subject of the movie, giant robot vs giant monster battles, is deftly handled, with effects and dramatic progression as well crafted as anyone could reasonably expect. Yes, it's simplistic, and plot elements like the wall demand suspension of disbelief. That's not so unreasonable when the point is to supply a basic pretext for crazy battle scenes.

Pacific Rim fulfills the director's stated goal to make a light movie suitable for introducing a new generation to the kaiju and mecha genres, as well as to explore the theme of survivor's guilt and convey basic values like cooperation between rivals for a greater purpose.

You can dislike the movie as much as you want. This material certainly isn't for everyone. But you're not entitled to invent flaws or rag on the director or production team for doing bad work. They did very good work that just so happens to appeal to a specialized audience of kaiju/mecha fans, action buffs, and younger viewers.

I...I think I love you, bro.

Davey Cakes

I watch a lot of shit movies

This hasn't even scratched the surface
It's not nearly as bad as people say, but the flaws are extremely apparent and the film is completely unremarkable because it didn't know what it wanted to do.

I didn't see Man of Steel but I did see BvS, which gave me zero confidence in the DCU and SS didn't improve things. Now I'm really doubting Justice League and Wonder Woman.

The problem with DC is that they're doing nothing above average right now with the DCU. It does make me miss the days when I truly cared for a DC property. Batman Begins was a revelation and its sequel was equally strong. To this day I still enjoy those movies more than what Marvel and current DC have put out.

Speaking of Marvel, other than Deadpool and Captain America 2 (I haven't seen 3) it's not like I've found their recent output particularly outstanding either. Cap 1 was mediocre. Thor was Mediocre. Iron Man was good but IM2 was mediocre. GotG was alright (I should give it another watch). First Class and Days of Future Past were solid. And, I just can't say The Avengers movies were particularly great, even if they succeeded as popcorn entertainment.

All that said, Marvel's attempts so far have made for a more promising cinematic universe. Their marketing has been stronger. Their characters have been more likable. DC is not even close in this regard. Marvel at this point can put something out that I have no familiarity with, but can still get excited for, such as Dr. Strange. DC doesn't have my confidence yet.

a916

Honestly it looks like DC is willing to try to fix their movies and do better in the future so I'm happy this is doing well along with getting critically panned. Because it means that they have a reason to make a sequel but also make a better sequel. Obviously the reviews hurt them which is why we got what we did, the issue is what lessons they learn from the mistakes they make and unfortunately this time they happened to learn the wrong lessons. Of you choose not to watch their future output more power to you, but burning everything down and starting over isn't going to help, it'll just leave people disinterested. And honestly the DCCU has many great things and ideas that I really enjoy, sometimes they're just mishandled and a lot of that has to do with the studio.

It could be a bad thing too though, it could turn up the panic levels and think they need to get even more hands on with this stuff... needless to say, to think they don't "care" is just wrong on so many levels. They aren't going to fail from a lack of trying, that's for sure.

3N16MA

Banned
This is heading to 225M or more by the end of the weekend. That is with slightly larger drops than GoTG over the next two days and a 65% drop on the weekend. If it holds better then it creeps closer to 230M.

300M is still in play.

It could be a bad thing too though, it could turn up the panic levels and think they need to get even more hands on with this stuff... needless to say, to think they don't "care" is just wrong on so many levels. They aren't going to fail from a lack of trying, that's for sure.
I mean, a big complaint now is that the studio butchered the film in the 11th hour, if they take that to heart than its likely they'll leave future films alone, same with BvS

Nipo

This is heading to 225M or more by the end of the weekend. That is with slightly larger drops than GoTG over the next two days and a 65% drop on the weekend. If it holds better then it creeps closer to 230M.

300M is still in play.

65% might be optimistic.

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
Imagine how it would have done if it was critically acclaimed as well.

Isnt that the case with all DC movies? If BvS was acclaimed and good, it would've teared shit up. It did a 166 million weekend, wouldve done close to 200. Worldwide 1.2-1.3 billion easy.

I thought they were having DC people oversee the movies now. Or did I horribly misunderstand that.

Lautaro

I just saw it, it was fine. It didn't blew me up with any scene though. The Wall was my favorite character, she was as scummy as I hope she would be while the Joker was... meh.

I'm glad the movie is doing fine, I need more of the DC universe.

Not sure if it's been addressed.

Read online earlier that the 'friday' earnings for the film took both Thursday and Friday earnings into account. Explains the apparent 'saturday drop'.

Raptor

I can safely dismiss anyone who expresses this opinion. Pacific Rim does almost nothing wrong on a technical or narrative level. In fact, the central subject of the movie, giant robot vs giant monster battles, is deftly handled, with effects and dramatic progression as well crafted as anyone could reasonably expect. Yes, it's simplistic, and plot elements like the wall demand suspension of disbelief. That's not so unreasonable when the point is to supply a basic pretext for crazy battle scenes.

Pacific Rim fulfills the director's stated goal to make a light movie suitable for introducing a new generation to the kaiju and mecha genres, as well as to explore the theme of survivor's guilt and convey basic values like cooperation between rivals for a greater purpose.

You can dislike the movie as much as you want. This material certainly isn't for everyone. But you're not entitled to invent flaws or rag on the director or production team for doing bad work. They did very good work that just so happens to appeal to a specialized audience of kaiju/mecha fans, action buffs, and younger viewers.

Awesome post.

I personally hate the OST of that movie but I really love it.

Litan

I just saw it, it was fine. It didn't blew me up with any scene though. The Wall was my favorite character, she was as scummy as I hope she would be while the Joker was... meh.

I'm glad the movie is doing fine, I need more of the DC universe.
*Chuckle*
The Wall.

Oh yeah, I meant for the movies coming up. I'm guessing it will start with Wonder Woman, or is that too late?

Wonder Woman is early 2017 right? I'd assume the production for that should be closing up soon but there's still time for him to go over it, make sure its good, send it out for reshoots and tweaks but I don't think they'll do anything major to it. It's probably fine as is from what I've seen in the trailer, maybe retreading Thor 1/Captain America 1 but I mean, its a start, if its as good as those movies I can see it getting a 60%RT, maybe even a 70 for being the first female lead in a super hero solo movie.

Tamanon

Banned
I thought the movie was pretty good. Would've liked them to get thrown into the big stuff after maybe a short bonding mission, but for the most part the characters were great.

I liked Deadshot alot, Boomerang, Harley (<3), and El Diablo by the end. Good stuff. Outstanding graphic design on all the credits and the like.

Joker was meh, but that's alright, at least he wasn't in it too long.

RobbieNick

Am I crazy? Me and my niece saw it earlier today and thought it was great! There was some minor problems, but nothing major. Loved most of the performaces and was WAY better than BvS. 7.5/10 Would buy the Blu-Ray.

Insane Metal

Gold Member
Am I crazy? Me and my niece saw it earlier today and thought it was great! There was some minor problems, but nothing major. Loved most of the performaces and was WAY better than BvS. 7.5/10 Would buy the Blu-Ray.

You're not alone,I really enjoyed it too. Thought it was super fun. :)

jrush64

Banned

Trust me you're not crazy. This is the age of overexaggeration and bs hyperbole. Movie was damn good.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
*Chuckle*
The Wall.

Hell yeah.

amandawaller.jpg

Read online earlier that the 'friday' earnings for the film took both Thursday and Friday earnings into account. Explains the apparent 'saturday drop'.
Lumping Thursday previews into Friday is normal. The Friday to Saturday drop was still severe.
It did stabilize a bit on Sunday though.

Blader

Thursday nights are always counted as part of the Friday gross. That's not why it dropped 40% on Saturday.

I'm finding that's the general audience consensus too. There is a reason why it broke records last Monday and Tuesday even beating Captain America Civil War. The critics and trolls are just a loud minority.

Also keep in mind that a summer weekday is not comparable to an early May weekday because of schools. Just look at the weekday grosses of Finding Dory and Secret Life of Pets to see the summer weekday effect.

you are not alone i really enjoyed it and so did everyone i know that has seen the movie but then again i dont grade movies nor could i tell you what a plot hole is without looking up the definition so im in the minority when it comes to talking about films.

Son Of D

Trust me you're not crazy. This is the age of overexaggeration and bs hyperbole. Movie was damn good.

;)

I kid. I didn't like the movie but I respect the opinion of those who did. Just found it funny that you're only calling negative reactions over-exaggerations.

kswiston

Aaand? Civil War had the hype, the build up, the familiarity and the acclaim. It's remarkable. If undeserved.

First Tuesday and domestic totals for the 2011 Superhero films

Thor (May 9) - $5.4M - $181M total
X-Men First Class (Jun 7) - $5.1M - $146M total
Green Lantern (Jun 21) - $5.0M - $117M total
Captain America (Jul 22) - $7.8M - $177M total

Thor had the highest opening weekend (by quite a bit over GL and First Class) and grossed the most

First Tuesday and domestic totals for the 2012 Superhero films

The Avengers (May 8) - $17.7M - $623M total
The Dark Knight Rises (Jul 24) - $17.8M - $448M total

Avengers opened almost $50M higher than TDKR and grossed $175M more.

First Tuesday and domestic totals for the 2013 Superhero films

Iron Man 3 - $11.3M (May 7) - $409M total
Man of Steel - $11.5M (Jun 18) - $291M total
The Wolverine - $6.0M (Jul 30) - $133M total
Thor The Dark World - $5.2M (Nov 12) - $206M total

Iron Man 3 made close to $50M more opening weekend and almost $120M more total than Man of Steel. Thor 2 opened over $30M higher than The Wolverine, and grossed $73M more total.

Noticing much of a pattern yet?

Mulgrok

The film was entertaining, but it sure did come apart at the seams as it progressed toward the end. About halfway through the film I started to notice little problems, and at the end it had some really bad dialogue and scenes. Still worth seeing in the theater though.

I didnt think it was that bad and definitely not anywhere close to the worst movie ive seen ever or even this year. I would say it's just super messy, too many things are left out, and I felt like this movie was trying too hard to appeal to a zany atmosphere but failing pretty hard to capitalize on that. They really should have cut back on the roster, and honestly, there was barely any breathing room in this movie for any character to really shine in the narrative
(maybe Deadshot but idk, and lmao what was the fucking point of Slipknot and Captain Boomerang being there????)
everything is so goddamn quick you barely have a chance to really sit down and take everything in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom