• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Suicide Squad Achieves $260M+ WW & Rotten Tomato Score of 26%

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
...so?

Half the people in this thread are saying it's trash, so guys, half of y'all's opinions are invalid because Bad Boy here says it is.

half? lol, i'm just talking about the salty ones. If you dislike the movie, by all means it's your world to. Opinions are Opinions.

I've seen people say this is the worst movie they've ever seen. Which is such hyperbole that I can't take them seriously. And If that's the case they can't have seen many films.

Exactly.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
I don't get it. Who are the salty ones? Does disliking or hating the movie by default make you salty?

Whats there to get? I'm not talking about fair opinions of people disliking the movie. I don't care if you dislike it. I made that pretty clear. Hating on the success of something you dislike sounds salty to me.
The success or failure of the movie won't change the actual movie you've already seen and already dislike or like. You're asking me to start naming individual people, I won't. Yeezus H. Christ. Ignore me. lol

Could someone please explain the strong emotions this thread/movie is generating? I'm getting really confused

Maybe I'll understand once I watch it this weekend

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
Comic book movies are serious business.

MtZ9N.gif

Mooreberg

This movie cost three million dollars less than X-Men Apocalypse and will have grossed more domestically before the second weekend even starts. Was there some astronomical difference in marketing costs? Why was there so little economic hysteria over Xmen? I have not seen either movie, so I am not arguing relative quality or anything, but in a year with so many genuine flops, this doesn't look like much of a headache for WB. It doesn't seem like any of these comic book movies are going to hit Jurassic World numbers globally going forward, but I doubt they're going to stop making them.

G-Fex

Could someone please explain the strong emotions this thread/movie is generating? I'm getting really confused

Maybe I'll understand once I watch it this weekend

all the nerds are angry and must project their anger onto something/someone on the internet.

redfox088

Banned
Trash tonally...felt like I was watching a 2 hr long trailer...but I think I'm starting to get fatigued by comic movies...ALL of them were boring and predictable this year (You too Civil War)
Edit: The 10pm show was sold out on a Tuesday though....Marketing is everything....humor seems more important than cohesion....just should have went for that Dark humor instead. Tried to hard to be GOTG and the writing was shit(are they paying these people? Seriously?)

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
It's a Marvel movie. It'll top SS even if it's bad. Marvel movies get a pass, while DC movies get wrecked.

I'll never understand how or why people actually think this way.

[edit]

Absolutely wrecked.

WjRcJrF.png

6vc1TB5.png

kUHTian.png

Goddamn critics, stop wrecking DC movies for no reason.

I'll never understand how or why people actually think this way.

[edit]

Absolutely wrecked.

WjRcJrF.png

6vc1TB5.png

kUHTian.png

Goddamn critics, stop wrecking DC movies for no reason.

I think when people say "critics don't like DC movies", they explicitly refer to the DC Extended Universe that intend to compete with the MCU.

Critics usually have a soft spot for Nolan.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
I think when people say "critics don't like DC movies", they explicitly refer to the DC Extended Universe that intend to compete with the MCU.

Critics usually have a soft spot for Nolan.

I don't think they have a soft spot for him, he just hasn't released a bad movie to date, likewise with Marvel. The narrative that critics go soft on Marvel movies and are being unfair to DCU movies is just so annoying and tiresome.

Especially when normal people and fans have wholeheartedly agreed with the criticism that these movies get.

LowRoller

Man that was so bad. The only good part of the movie was Harley and even she had a few good lines. That third act was just a cg shit show. This is the last time I get hyped for a dceu movie. I still have faith in wonder woman because of Geoff . Shouldn't have gone to see it in Imax. Mad max, dark knight and intersteller have been the only movies that have been worth it in imax.

Papito

I don't think they have a soft spot for him, he just hasn't released a bad movie to date, likewise with Marvel. The narrative that critics go soft on Marvel movies and are being unfair to DCU movies is just so annoying and tiresome.

Especially when normal people and fans have wholeheartedly agreed with the criticism that these movies get.

I don't care for most super hero films and I didn't care for man of steel, BvS, or suicide squad. But there have been some legit bad marvel films but for some reason even the bad ones dont reach the low scores of dc movies when they are arguable the same quality or worse. There is some form of bias I feel. It seems like every reviewer tends to compare them to the marvel movies as if marvel films don't have flaws either.

Eh, I like Nolan films. Every one I've seen. But some of them seem to be pretty polarizing here on GAF. And that don''t usually happens between critics. That's all I wanted to say.

About DCU vs MCU, I think Marvel is definitely having a better output these years, but is normal because it's a really well-oiled machinery right now. They already have it all figured out, but DC is struggling. However, it wasn't always the case, and in my opinion the phase 1 had several bland films. Man of Steel and BvS UC are flawed films, but I enjoy them more than The Incredible Hulk or Iron Man 2.

Can't be worse than Pacific Rim.

That one was a dud, and the worst film I have watched in cinema.

Uh.. it's a love letter to the robot-monster films of yesteryear with some amazing fight sequences and set pieces, all the while reveling in Hollywood blockbuster cliches. If you watched Suicide Squad and thought it was better, you must have seen a different version than I did; I could barely see anything going on in the film at all for all the poor lighting and filters.

kurahador

Uhhh...no. There's different between a movie that accomplished on premise of what it's trying to achieve than one that's failed.
Pacific Rim = giant robot beat the shit of giant monsters.
Suicide Squad = task force made up of worst of the worst of villains (turns out not really) taking on impossible task (turns out not really).

NotLiquid

I don't care for most super hero films and I didn't care for man of steel, BvS, or suicide squad. But there have been some legit bad marvel films but for some reason even the bad ones dont reach the low scores of dc movies when they are arguable the same quality or worse. There is some form of bias I feel. It seems like every reviewer tends to compare them to the marvel movies as if marvel films don't have flaws either.

Marvel movies have issues, sure, but the one thing you can't say about them is that they're not functional movies from start to finish. Even the "rotten eggs" of the MCU are tonally consistent movies that are at worst average and simply safe action movies with quirks that are easy to enjoy as a casual moviegoer. That's why they usually get decent reviews.

In contrast DCEU has with both Man of Steel and BvS had sensory overload in regards to the sheer level of bloat they have and the tone of their movies which is constantly at odds with itself. I haven't seen Suicide Squad but from what I'm hearing it's very much undone by it's frustrating pacing.

Even though not every critic will agree it's not hard to watch these movies and see why they may have a much higher divide or level of disdain. That doesn't mean these movies don't have fans.

LiamR

I thought it was perhaps even worse than BvS. I just found it irritating. It was felt almost like I was watching two competing visions for the film fighting one another on screen. There's so many gritty, moping moments awkwardly juxtaposed with 'quirky' one liners, giving it some incredibly jarring tonal shifts. The reshoots were so awkwardly disguised, as well (look out for Rick Flag's hair changes).

The first 30 minutes was loaded with unfitting, horrible music pop cues that aren't fun or ironic, just dumb and grating. It was stuffed with unfunny, cringeworthy lines and even with a full audience, pretty much nobody laughed throughout the whole picture. There was one small chuckle caused from a Deadshot line early on, but that was it.

The plot made very little sense, too. Amanda Waller said she wanted to assemble a team of metahumans and people with skills. Deadshot makes sense for that, as does El Diablo, but not Harley Quinn and Boomerang. In the meeting, Waller just introduces her as "the joker's girlfriend" - so what? Why choose her? She's unpredictable, unreliable, not particularly skilled. Same goes for Boomerang, who is essentially just a thief with a gimmick. Why are these the right people to combat this crazy mystical threat? It's just nonsense.

The Flash was cool though.

tkscz

Possibility 1: You are correct; film critics are being mean to DC, GAF is being mean to DC, real human beings like it

Possibility 2: You are a delusional fanboy projecting your anxiety on others.

What evidence can we use to determine which of these is correct?

What? basing it on observation. Not sure why you're being mean about it. Never said anything about critics, just basing it on the opinions of other people i've spoken with, even strangers in the theater, they say they like it. Whats with the additude?

The Flash was cool though.

yeah that was nice. also boomerang had the most logical moment in the entire film
when he immediately left the bar as soon as he found out he was free. that was funny too. but then its ruined, for no reason at all he comes back to help...even though he has no reason to give a shit about these people or the fight or even have any use to them honestly. they lost out on some good closure for captain boomerang

guek

Banned
It's a Marvel movie. It'll top SS even if it's bad. Marvel movies get a pass, while DC movies get wrecked.

Man of Steel was a divisive movie and the reviews reflect that

BvS theatrical and Suicide Squad are both poorly edited, compromised, limp dicked efforts and the reviews reflect that as well.

zsynqx

Eh, I like Nolan films. Every one I've seen. But some of them seem to be pretty polarizing here on GAF. And that don''t usually happens between critics. That's all I wanted to say.

Out of curiosity, I looked back at a couple of Dark Knight threads from 2008 to see the reactions. Nolan was definitely not a polarizing director back then and most of Gaf were just in love with the film. The Nolan hate seems like a more recent thing, probably started after the Dark Knight Rises.

Not sure what point I am trying to make here, just found it interesting. :p

I watch a lot of shit movies

This hasn't even scratched the surface

it's up there for me as one of those landmark shit film experiences. which is a shame because i really liked the black skinhead scene with will smith just popping targets one by one. the dynamic between him and the prison guard was great. there are very miniscule great moments in this crap.

save deadshot and waller for future films. they did the best they could with the basura they had to work with.

I honestly don't understand how any could come out of SS and give it a good score. I really don't. Not trying to be mean or anything but the movie is such a mess in terms of narrative, nothing makes sense. it's not even funny and doesn't have good action. I really tried to see the positives but i barely find any. So many things that pissed me off and i say that as someone who thought the trailers looked awesome and fun, really wanted to like this. I even get indifference but actually liking it and thinking it was awesome? That baffles me. I strongly considered leaving halfway through.

Has someone that liked it made a good review? Would be fascinating to hear what they liked about it.

TBiddy

Haha, this is funny, because it's true. God that movie was awful. I'm looking forward to watching SS though. Margot Robbie looks like (based on the trailers, purely) that she's nailing that role.

Out of curiosity, I looked back at a couple of Dark Knight threads from 2008 to see the reactions. Nolan was definitely not a polarizing director back then and most of Gaf were just in love with the film. The Nolan hate seems like a more recent thing, probably started after the Dark Knight Rises.

Not sure what point I am trying to make here, just found it interesting. :p

Yeah, I'd say Inception and Interstellar probably are, after DKR, the most mocked here. Not by everyone, mind you. Maybe not even from a prominent majority. But definitely more than his earlier films (Batman Begins and Dark Knight included)

Dcube

Good to hear. I thought the movie was average at best. Needed more character development and better pacing but it had fun characters, a few laughs and some decent action. Pretty forgettable but I enjoyed the characters and the world they built so I'd be totally in for a sequel.

zsynqx

I wonder why... maybe because Nolan is a competent director.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-vf4HqWCVo

Yeah, I'd say Inception and Interstellar probably are, after DKR, the most mocked here. Not by everyone, mind you. Maybe not even from a prominent majority. But definitely more than his earlier films (Batman Begins and Dark Knight included)

Yep.

I'm definitely of the opinion that even Nolan's worst film is still miles ahead of anything in the DCEU.

NEO0MJ

Edit: The 10pm show was sold out on a Tuesday though....Marketing is everything....humor seems more important than cohesion....just should have went for that Dark humor instead. Tried to hard to be GOTG and the writing was shit(are they paying these people? Seriously?)

Apparently the writer was only given six weeks to submit his script so shooting could begin immediately.

I'd say the worst film I've ever seen in a theatre was Twilight, on a date. Also Sucker Punch, but at least that one had some nice music and effects.

I've also seen some pretty bad made in here (Spain), but those ones are not famous enough to talk about them, lol.

Marvel movies get "passes" because at the very least, they're competently made. They're well-designed, well-lit, well-shot, and well-edited.From pre to post, on every Marvel film, they are assembled by someone who really knows what they're doing. And at their worst, a MCU script is inoffensively bland.

Man of Steel, and to a greater extent Batman v Superman and Suicide Squad, suffer from some crippling technical and editing problems that often results in jarring, incoherent products.

Monocle

I can safely dismiss anyone who expresses this opinion. Pacific Rim does almost nothing wrong on a technical or narrative level. In fact, the central subject of the movie, giant robot vs giant monster battles, is deftly handled, with effects and dramatic progression as well crafted as anyone could reasonably expect. Yes, it's simplistic, and plot elements like the wall demand suspension of disbelief. That's not so unreasonable when the point is to supply a basic pretext for crazy battle scenes.

Pacific Rim fulfills the director's stated goal to make a light movie suitable for introducing a new generation to the kaiju and mecha genres, as well as to explore the theme of survivor's guilt and convey basic values like cooperation between rivals for a greater purpose.

You can dislike the movie as much as you want. This material certainly isn't for everyone. But you're not entitled to invent flaws or rag on the director or production team for doing bad work. They did very good work that just so happens to appeal to a specialized audience of kaiju/mecha fans, action buffs, and younger viewers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom