• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Suicide Squad Achieves $260M+ WW & Rotten Tomato Score of 26%

Status
Not open for further replies.
batman-v-superman-dawn-of-justice.jpg
You feel like BvS? Well, at least you don't feel like Fant4stic.

guek

Banned
Yes, it did. Most of the reviews praised the special effects, but the rest was viewed as average or bad usually.

http://screenrant.com/worst-original-reviews-star-wars-a-new-hope/?view=all

It received bad reviews as well as some praise. You can see them on RT.

You, like that article, are selectively choosing what you want to see to paint a picture. One of the review excerpts in that very same article you linked references the positive critical response at the time. Several of the reviews in that article are positive too, singling out criticisms within generally positive reviews does not make that review negative. Even the article itself says "Generally, critics had positive things to say."

So no, you're wrong. It did not get generally unfavorable reviews.

Vice

Yes, it did. Most of the reviews praised the special effects, but the rest was viewed as average or bad usually.

http://screenrant.com/worst-original-reviews-star-wars-a-new-hope/?view=all

It received bad reviews as well as some praise. You can see them on RT.
A film can receive some negative criticisms but still have mostly positive reviews though. Even films considered the greatest of all time have flaws and people will have criticism of some elements.
On RT Star Wars is sitting in the 90s and Batman 89 is in 70s. Thats mostly positive.

You, like that article, are selectively choosing what you want to see to paint a picture. One of the review excerpts in that very same article you linked references the positive critical response at the time. Several of the reviews in that article are positive too, singling out criticisms within generally positive reviews does not make that review negative. Even the article itself says "Generally, critics had positive things to say."

So no, you're wrong. It did not get generally unfavorable reviews.

And you didn't do the same with your link?

"Generally, critics had positive things to say.", doesn't equal a good review. Most of those reviews posted are only text, no score, so it's hard to pin down their opinions, but I don't consider them positive. I don't want to go in circles with you, but when most of the review's praise leans on special effects and light on everything else I don't consider that enthusiastic praise.

G-Fex

Fuck this movie. Biggest piece of shit I've seen all year. The worst comic book movie since Amazing Spider-man 2. But if I was being honest I enjoyed watching that more than this as well.

Are there bright spots? yeah Harley looked so good, club scene got me sweating lol. And Robbie works as the character for the most part (there are some dud lines here and there). Can she carry a film, lol absolutely not. Nor should she. But as a small little supporting character there is potential there for her to pop up every now and then.

Will Smith and Viola Davis did great with the little gems in this pile of trash that they were given. I am all for bringing them back as recurring characters once in a while. And Ike Barinholtz was pretty fun too as the prison guard. Everybody else can go to hell. Uninteresting action, dialogue, shitty jokes, soundtrack doesn't work (I did like hearing action bronson and kanye, but that's about it. why is half of this a badly done music video?), very poor editing. The best analogy I can use for the way much of this film is edited (especially the joker scenes) is American Horror Story. There's these rapid cuts with this ugly effect on them that only brings to mind Ryan Murphy when he tries so hard to go "abstract". I hate to use this word but it absolutely applies...tryhard.

And if you like this more than BvS and Man of Steel? yeah okay I think you've lost it then. All that goes to show if that's an opinion floating around is that all some people ask for in this genre is a couple jokes. Literally just a few jokes. That's the only thing it has going over the snyder stuff. A couple jokes that land well (I loved the phil jackson reference honestly).

This is the cinema equivalent of eating 12 Cinnabuns. Do you like feeling sad when you spend your money? Go to this movie.

I don't think disco liked it.

Jigorath

Banned
Fuck this movie. Biggest piece of shit I've seen all year. The worst comic book movie since Amazing Spider-man 2. But if I was being honest I enjoyed watching that more than this as well.

Are there bright spots? yeah Harley looked so good, club scene got me sweating lol. And Robbie works as the character for the most part (there are some dud lines here and there). Can she carry a film, lol absolutely not. Nor should she. But as a small little supporting character there is potential there for her to pop up every now and then.

Will Smith and Viola Davis did great with the little gems in this pile of trash that they were given. I am all for bringing them back as recurring characters once in a while. And Ike Barinholtz was pretty fun too as the prison guard. Everybody else can go to hell. Uninteresting action, dialogue, shitty jokes, soundtrack doesn't work (I did like hearing action bronson and kanye, but that's about it. why is half of this a badly done music video?), very poor editing. The best analogy I can use for the way much of this film is edited (especially the joker scenes) is American Horror Story. There's these rapid cuts with this ugly effect on them that only brings to mind Ryan Murphy when he tries so hard to go "abstract". I hate to use this word but it absolutely applies...tryhard.

And if you like this more than BvS and Man of Steel? yeah okay I think you've lost it then. All that goes to show if that's an opinion floating around is that all some people ask for in this genre is a couple jokes. Literally just a few jokes. That's the only thing it has going over the snyder stuff. A couple jokes that land well (I loved the phil jackson reference honestly).

This is the cinema equivalent of eating 12 Cinnabuns. Do you like feeling sad when you spend your money? Go to this movie.

Sums it up pretty well.

Movie was trash.

Saw this movie Sunday night. This movie was just shit. The editing and sequences in the first hour was jarring.

And the villains? Fucking boring as hell.

Who do I need to talk to get my money back?

I enjoyed this movie more than Man of Steel and Batman vs Superman. Saw it for the second time on Monday in 3D with D-Box and enjoyed it even more. That was my first time using D-Box also.

guek

Banned
And you didn't do the same with your link?

"Generally, critics had positive things to say.", doesn't equal a good review. Most of those reviews posted are only text, no score, so it's hard to pin down their opinions, but I don't consider them positive. I don't want to go in circles with you, but when most of the review's praise leans on special effects and light on everything else I don't consider that enthusiastic praise.

The movie got nominated for best picture. Interpret the past however you want, you're still wrong.

Skux

Proof that a marketing juggernaut can overcome any deficiency in quality.

People will watch it once, realise it's crap, and never touch it again.

And Joker. I dunno if he's a write-off or what. It's very fair to say that he does not have shit on Ledger in any way. But his scenes are so hamstrung by the editors here that I don't feel comfortable blaming Leto for being so underwhelming either.

It's not the case of "well he should have wowed you within the first 10 seconds because he's the Joker, that's what he does". All of his scenes are played out like this one

I don't even think Daniel Day Lewis could make it happen when he's working against this garbage. I still like his look honestly. But yeah in the little we got of him it was butchered so bad and he left no mark to me. That's a pretty big shame considering the character in question. Hopefully the batman movie uses him properly.

Matt

Just FYI, but RT scores on classic films tend to be from more modern reviews and maybe a couple of actual contemporary reviews that people researched. It makes it tough to draw comparisons from movies before and after RT launched.
Oh I know, I wasn't going by the RT scores. I looked up classic reviews of Star Wars, Batman, Batman Returns, etc.

Anth0ny

people still making lots of assumptions in this thread

with how huge the budget is for this film I really don't think it'll end up making its money back, at least through the theatrical run.

BadAss2961

I thought it was better than Mos and BvS as well.

Actually looking forward to the uhd release.
BvS (UC) is top dog. Suicide Squad is a joyride though... Was grinning most of the way through with how it nailed just about all the characters within a fun tone.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
BvS (UC) is top dog. Suicide Squad is a joyride though... Was grinning most of the way through with how it nailed just about all the characters within a fun tone.

I think you hit the keyword. Fun.

I had fun watching this. You just can't take a movie like this too serious. Not the best comic book movie ever, but people claiming it to be the worst... So much salt in this thread.

Minamu

Saw it yesterday, had free tickets, so no earnings from me. The projector was new and a bit broken so we didn't have any subtitles (Sweden), which the staff didn't notice for about 5 minutes. They restarted the movie in hopes that it would solve it, but it didn't. All movie-goers got a new free ticket, which was neat :D

Did the Enchantress and Katana scenes have meaningful dialogue with subs in the US? I have no idea what was said in those scenes :(

Not sure what my opinion of the movie is. I knew of the reviews and the troubled history so I was prepared for the worst, but I found it alright, but really overhyped (own fault). I thought Harley would be crazier than she was, and I miss the voice tbh. I laughed as the first guy died, I remembered hearing on GAF that it would probably happen real quick and it did. Overall I think most characters were underdeveloped; really obvious in the case of Katana, Slipknot and Boomerang I think. But I loved Diablo, who I thought would be the worst of them all. I could be friends with him, and have a good time, unlike most of the others.

Leto's Joker was mainly weird. I don't know what to think, but I kept thinking that I couldn't understand why Leto would be angry about being left on the cutting room floor, he was just as central as the main villain to me (a complete shock to me, I had no idea the movie would go that route, media blackout sort of). I thought he was all over the place, and had way more presence than Katana and company. Strangely enough, he didn't leave much of an impression or impress me all that much, but I'd still like to see him again with Batfleck. I'm not sure his style is a great fit for Batfleck though, they seem to be from very different movie universes somehow. It's like there would be some kind of dissonance if they both appeared on screen in the same frame, which they didn't really do here. I liked his laugh, I think? xD He kinda worked in the uncanny valley a bit which was bad in a good way. Again,not sure what to think.

3/5 for the movie I think, barely.

I left this movie in a good mood. But my opinion of it sank after sleeping on it. Might go again since I had to go to the restroom. and some of deleted content sounds interesting.

I thought you hated fun?

I think you hit the keyword. Fun

I had fun watching this. You just can't take a movie like this too serious. Not the best comic book movie ever, but people claiming it to be the worst... So much salt in this thread.

I'm not really seeing salt so much as people openly stating that they didn't like the movie. If it's considered salty for disliking a comic book movie, then shit, I'm a pack of McDonald's fries.

I'm seeing the salt coming mostly from people getting angry at others for hating the movie, like it's not allowed to hate it for whatever reason, or if you hate it, your opinion is somehow hyperbolic.

The thing has a 26% RT. Claiming it to be one of the worst CBMs isn't exactly outlandish.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
I thought you hated fun?

I'm not really seeing salt so much as people openly stating that they didn't like the movie. If it's considered salty for disliking a comic book movie, then shit, I'm a pack of McDonald's fries.

Not liking it is one thing, but some people are flat out saying it's trash. In this thread and the OT.

Mariolee

Possibility 1: You are correct; film critics are being mean to DC, GAF is being mean to DC, real human beings like it

Possibility 2: You are a delusional fanboy projecting your anxiety on others.

What evidence can we use to determine which of these is correct?

Possibility 3: He's just another guy with an opinion based on personal anecdotes.

Throwing around that he's a "delusional fanboy" feels a bit too personal of an attack (unless he has a history of actually being a delusional fanboy I may have missed). I personally thought the movie was fun but left a hell of a lot to be desired. Ultimately it was disappointing.

However, while waiting in line for the movie (because holy shit was there a line) I was joking with people around me that I thought no one would be showing up because it got bad reviews, and the two people in front of me both stated that all of their friends really liked it.

Again, this is just their personal experience. Pretty sure the people in front of me weren't delusional fanboys considering they hadn't even heard of the bad reviews.

Cipherr

I tend to agree with this, although don't forget how shocked most people were at the success of Guardians of the Galaxy. It will also be showing during a period where there's pretty much no competition. I also guarantee that while Cumberbatch isn't as big of a star in the US as Will Smith, he has plenty of adoring fans in Europe. Also (completely irrelevant), his voice was the best thing about The Deolation of Smaug, especially on a home theater setup. Just amazing.

I wonder where and when i heard this before...

YOu'd figure by now people would stop making predictions this far out from a movie's release. The fact that Dr. Strange is C-tier doesn't mean a movie with good WOM and good hype won't do well at the box office, just like Guardians being C-tier didn't put a ceiling on it's box office.

To clarify. Im not saying Strange cant be a success. I hope its a good movie, and IF its good I hope its another big success story. But.... I don't think a property like Strange should gross higher than a Suicide Squad movie with Harley, Joker, Batman and others in it all things being equal.

SS could very well fall off a cliff week 2 and Strange could be another Guardians and go crazy. But if Im forced to guess, I would put my money on the more well known characters.

BadAss2961

Not sure what my opinion of the movie is. I knew of the reviews and the troubled history so I was prepared for the worst, but I found it alright, but really overhyped (own fault). I thought Harley would be crazier than she was, and I miss the voice tbh. I laughed as the first guy died, I remembered hearing on GAF that it would probably happen real quick and it did. Overall I think most characters were underdeveloped; really obvious in the case of Katana, Slipknot and Boomerang I think. But I loved Diablo, who I thought would be the worst of them all. I could be friends with him, and have a good time, unlike most of the others.
I've seen that criticism a lot, but that's just how Suicide Squad is. You get a brief introduction to a villain, maybe some backstory if they're important, and they're quickly thrown into the fray. The movie was faithful to that. The character vignettes were all well done, then the story quickly went into overdrive. The Ace Chemicals and El Diablo flashbacks, as well as the bar scene were all great cooldown moments to help balance things out for film.

And yeah, Diablo was awesome. Hernandez killed it. The character was a mirror image of the New 52 both visually and in motivation.
I thought you hated fun?

I guess it's my dislike for Marvel that gave you that idea. Lot of people think they're fun, I think it's cornball stuff for children.

I thought this movie was a fun watch. So much angst for this movie... When I saw the first reviews, shit was going crazy and everyone was screaming doom.

What I got was a decent summer blockbuster with good style. Yes, the writing was 50/50. Editing was totally meh, Action a little dull but more than serviceable. Script could have been tighter blah?

What do people want? What was expected from Suicide Squad? I got a decent fun action flick. Even Diablo showed off a tight surprise.

Dabanton

I think you hit the keyword. Fun.

I've seen people say this is the worst movie they've ever seen. Which is such hyperbole that I can't take them seriously. And If that's the case they can't have seen many films.

I've seen people say this is the worst movie they've ever seen. Which is such hyperbole that I can't take them seriously. And If that's the case they can't have seen many films.

why do we expect people to see so much shit though. they should be blessed to have not seen too much garbage (subjectively speaking).

I'd certainly call this the worst movie i've seen this year. I skipped tarzan. unless people expect me to watch that so I can make a more serious claim or something....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom